*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4319Likes

post #1741 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Okay so I am having a problem. First off, here is a picture of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/FVCfa

I have my gaming PC (GTX 970 graphics card) plugged into my TCL 55P605's second HDMI port. I just got Premium HDMI 2.0 cables and currently am using one. When I go into Nvidia graphic settings or into my Windows settings and change my resolution to 4K at 30Hz I don't have a problem, but when I change it to 60Hz it does what you see in the picture.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I know the TV can display 4K at 60Hz because when I use my PS4 Pro and go into its settings, it says as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post
Okay so I am having a problem. First off, here is a picture of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/FVCfa

I have my gaming PC (GTX 970 graphics card) plugged into my TCL 55P605's second HDMI port. I just got Premium HDMI 2.0 cables and currently am using one. When I go into Nvidia graphic settings or into my Windows settings and change my resolution to 4K at 30Hz I don't have a problem, but when I change it to 60Hz it does what you see in the picture.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? I know the TV can display 4K at 60Hz because when I use my PS4 Pro and go into its settings, it says as much.
Try a UHD certified HDMI cable.
post #1743 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
Try a UHD certified HDMI cable.
This isn't good enough? https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Actually it should be. But you may have got a defective one. Try another example of the cable if possible.
post #1745 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Actually it should be. But you may have got a defective one. Try another example of the cable if possible.
Oh and to be clear, that (what you see in the picture) is what it did when I was using my old HDMI cable (1.2 I believe). So I bought the HDMI 2.0's and hoped that will fix the problem. Considering I had the identical problem with the 1.2 as I am having with the 2.0 I imagine the odds the 2.0 is bad are extremely low. I'll try another one but I expect the same results.
post #1746 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Oh and to be clear, that (what you see in the picture) is what it did when I was using my old HDMI cable (1.2 I believe). So I bought the HDMI 2.0's and hoped that will fix the problem. Considering I had the identical problem with the 1.2 as I am having with the 2.0 I imagine the odds the 2.0 is bad are extremely low. I'll try another one but I expect the same results.
OK I didnt know the history of this issue. Yes, it is possible that there might be a defect somewhere in the chain. I thought the cable becaue 4k30 is working fine for you. Can you change the chroma subsampling on the PS? If so, try 4:2:0 or 4;2:2, so as to reduce bandwidth requirements
post #1747 of 6355 Old 07-21-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
OK I didnt know the history of this issue. Yes, it is possible that there might be a defect somewhere in the chain. I thought the cable becaue 4k30 is working fine for you. Can you change the chroma subsampling on the PS? If so, try 4:2:0 or 4;2:2, so as to reduce bandwidth requirements
Okay so I just tried another new 2.0 HDMI cable and it didn't change anything. I also tried using the first HDMI port on the TV and it didn't change anything. Tomorrow I will try a friends GPU (has a 980 that I can try) and see if that changes anything.

I have no clue what chroma subsampling is, let alone know if it can be changed on the Playstation (I assume PS=playstation). It seems like a deep setting that you likely can't play with on a Playstation's settings. Also I'm not sure why reducing the bandwidth requirements for the Playstation would help me, seeing as the problem I am having is on my PC. Thanks for the help you are providing though!
post #1748 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Okay so I just tried another new 2.0 HDMI cable and it didn't change anything. I also tried using the first HDMI port on the TV and it didn't change anything. Tomorrow I will try a friends GPU (has a 980 that I can try) and see if that changes anything.

I have no clue what chroma subsampling is, let alone know if it can be changed on the Playstation (I assume PS=playstation). It seems like a deep setting that you likely can't play with on a Playstation's settings. Also I'm not sure why reducing the bandwidth requirements for the Playstation would help me, seeing as the problem I am having is on my PC. Thanks for the help you are providing though!
You need to change the chroma subsampling, which is accessible in the Nvidia Control Panel on your computer. I can't remember which one causes problems but one that should be supported is bugged and causes the weird colors.
post #1749 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
You need to change the chroma subsampling, which is accessible in the Nvidia Control Panel on your computer. I can't remember which one causes problems but one that should be supported is bugged and causes the weird colors.
Man I wish that fixed my issue. I changed the output color format from RGB to YCbCr422 and 444. Neither changed the weird green color problem when I changed to 4k at 59Hz or 60Hz. Unless that isn't the exact fix you had in mind.
post #1750 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Okay so I am having a problem.
You need to shut off the PC, go to settings on the TV and switch the HDMI port you used to connect to the PC to HDMI 2.0 manually and then restart the TV. I had the same problem but found a thread about it on Reddit. You can search "TCL 55P607 [email protected] and 4:4:4 from PC fix" on Reddit for the original thread since I can't link it.
M3rc Nate and theboomr like this.

Last edited by Jehdin; 07-22-2017 at 04:31 AM.
post #1751 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, I mistyped. I mean PC, not PS. The comment above me may have the right solution for you.

Since he can't link yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...4_from_pc_fix/
Jehdin and M3rc Nate like this.
post #1752 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I fixed my issue with ARC. Found out I needed to unplug my receiver to get it working again. I do have to thank the support at TCL, which seems to be patient and through.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
post #1753 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehdin View Post
You need to shut off the PC, go to settings on the TV and switch the HDMI port you used to connect to the PC to HDMI 2.0 manually and then restart the TV. I had the same problem but found a thread about it on Reddit. You can search "TCL 55P607 [email protected] and 4:4:4 from PC fix" on Reddit for the original thread since I can't link it.
Quote:
Yes, I mistyped. I mean PC, not PS. The comment above me may have the right solution for you.

Since he can't link yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...4_from_pc_fix/
Thank you both! That worked! I wonder if they will patch that issue at all in the future. You'd think by being set on "auto" it wouldn't need to be set on "2.0" to work right. Oh well. I'm just ecstatic my TV isn't at fault and in need of being returned for a replacement.
Jehdin and theboomr like this.
post #1754 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What's the difference between the TV Brightness on the Options main menu and the Backlight on the Advanced Picture Settings menu? I understand that Backlight is increasing the LED intensity, but what is the TV Brightness setting actually doing? Note: not asking about the Brightness setting on the Advanced Menu.
post #1755 of 6355 Old 07-22-2017, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 75
We bought one for camper I keep at the lake. Great TV for the price.

LG 65" C7 OLED. Oppo 203. Denon 4300. Klipsch RP280af, 260f, 440c, 140AF. HSU 15-mk2. Layer 3 TV, Shield and a Blue Tick Healer
post #1756 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
What's the difference between the TV Brightness on the Options main menu and the Backlight on the Advanced Picture Settings menu? I understand that Backlight is increasing the LED intensity, but what is the TV Brightness setting actually doing? Note: not asking about the Brightness setting on the Advanced Menu.
This setting affects the black level of the TV. You are supposed to set it using special patterns, and although you can do it by eye, I personally prefer to do it with a colorimeter for mot accurate results.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #1757 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
This setting affects the black level of the TV. You are supposed to set it using special patterns, and although you can do it by eye, I personally prefer to do it with a colorimeter for mot accurate results.
Thanks for your reply. The Black Level is set using the Brightness setting on the Advanced menu as I understand it. I'm asking about the TV Brightness setting on the Options main menu. I'm pretty sure your do not use it to set the Black level.
post #1758 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
So I've been playing ratchet and clank on base PS4 in HDR and wasn't as blown away as I'd hoped. I thought maybe something was off on my PS4. I turned HDR mode off on PS4 and it turns black and regular SDR comes through and looks so much deeper and colorful just on my menu, go back into ratchet and clank and holy crap the colors are insane (albeit almost too a fault). I've read up on the "washed out hdr" issues and no combination of the PS4 and TV settings can I get HDR to look correct. It looks so washed out and dimmer compared to having it off. Streaming YouTube HDR videos seem to look great and what I expect but I'm not sure what is going on here. Anyone able to test ratchet and clank on their PS4 and see if it's washed out compared to non hdr?
post #1759 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hello all! A quick question: what are the recommended picture settings for streamed HDR content (e.g., Netflix)? There is some discrepancy in the settings recommended by Rtings and CNET. Right now I'm using:

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: *Dark

Advanced picture settings
Local contrast: High
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: Warm

I'm watching episode 1 of Samurai Gourmet as a test and everything looks a bit washed out. To be honest, 4K videos on Youtube look far better to my eyes. Maybe I just need to get used to the image?

Also, how can I ensure the TV is in Dolby Vision mode? I assume it changes automatically, but I just want to make sure.
post #1760 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Thanks for your reply. The Black Level is set using the Brightness setting on the Advanced menu as I understand it. I'm asking about the TV Brightness setting on the Options main menu. I'm pretty sure your do not use it to set the Black level.

The TV Brightness is just another backlight control. Combined with the backlight setting it gives you a little more fine control over the brightness of the backlight.

Remember, the Backlight settings has to be set for each and every input, including streaming. The TV Brightness is a global settings and will be the same for all inputs.

I have actually changed my backlight settings. I have increases it from the Movie mode default of 20 to 40. This just works better for our room lighting.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1761 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by St0chastic View Post

I'm watching episode 1 of Samurai Gourmet as a test and everything looks a bit washed out. To be honest, 4K videos on Youtube look far better to my eyes. Maybe I just need to get used to the image?
I posted about it before, that particular shows looks very washed-out to me as well and various settings don't seem to help. I think it was mastered incorrectly since I can't imagine that's what they were shooting for. If they were, why bother with any form of HDR for it?

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #1762 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
I posted about it before, that particular shows looks very washed-out to me as well and various settings don't seem to help. I think it was mastered incorrectly since I can't imagine that's what they were shooting for. If they were, why bother with any form of HDR for it?
I think you're right. Hibana Spark looks MUCH better.
post #1763 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
The TV Brightness is just another backlight control. Combined with the backlight setting it gives you a little more fine control over the brightness of the backlight.

Remember, the Backlight settings has to be set for each and every input, including streaming. The TV Brightness is a global settings and will be the same for all inputs.

I have actually changed my backlight settings. I have increases it from the Movie mode default of 20 to 40. This just works better for our room lighting.
Perfect. Thank you.
post #1764 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sadly it's not working out for me, will be returning mine tomorrow. Glad so many are enjoying it though!
post #1765 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Here are a few photos. Non-HDR on top, HDR on bottom. I can see the benefit of of seeing the areas such as the clouds more defined. But it's like in order to do that it's lowering the overall brightness a lot. It definitely gives a more "realistic" look but a realistic look for this game doesn't make sense. To me the SDR version seems like this is what they want everyone to be seeing but hdr enables a duller but expanded color and brightness pallet? Even increasing the color on hdr to like 75-100 just makes for a ugly color combo. I need to try a comparison of darker areas but I doubt my iPhone could capture it correctly. I was fully expecting the colors of the SDR with the enhanced detail of hdr. Guess that was me falling for the "with hdr/without hdr" images and many people going OMG over the difference.

The SDR on top doesn't look quite that blown out on the tv. Also noticed HDR enables extra sharpness even when it's set to 0.

https://flic.kr/p/VK7pPJ
https://flic.kr/p/WXEJqQ
post #1766 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 45
^ I would agree, if I were blind-choosing I would have thought the SDR version was HDR. To be honest I have tried a few games enhanced for PS4 Pro with HDR, I just have not seen the pop & detail differential I was thinking I would see.
post #1767 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I only have a standard PS4 but it supports HDR. Horizon Zero Dawn looks a whole lot better in HDR, there is just more detail in the colors. The campfires look almost real. Maybe it's the game and not the TV. I've seen great looking HDR on this TV and not so great looking. Remember, it could be the source material, it doesn't necessarily mean the TV is doing something wrong.

Personally I think the second image looks better because the shadows are more defined, better color detail and it looks more natural. This may just be the developer's intent.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1768 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I only have a standard PS4 but it supports HDR. Horizon Zero Dawn looks a whole lot better in HDR, there is just more detail in the colors. The campfires look almost real. Maybe it's the game and not the TV. I've seen great looking HDR on this TV and not so great looking. Remember, it could be the source material, it doesn't necessarily mean the TV is doing something wrong.

Personally I think the second image looks better because the shadows are more defined, better color detail and it looks more natural. This may just be the developer's intent.
Yea it very well may be just the source. I've streamed various HDR and some looks incredible and some looks just 'ok'. I guess I just figured with the type of game it is on HDR colors would be cranked to 11. I definitely need to try other HDR video game content. I have briefly tried No Mans Sky with HDR but that game has such a crazy color pallet already it was hard to tell. Hoping to snag Horizon soon.
post #1769 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
You have to keep in mind that HDR is not always supposed to give you that WOW! factor.
I watched War Machine in DV (albeit on my Vizio), and I didn't see anything really spectacular about it, although one thing that pretty much stood out for the whole duration of it was how real and natural everything looked.
So yes, HDR demo content can wow you, but it's not always utilized that way. It doesn't make it bad HDR, it just makes it different.
I'm sure that there's poorly implemented HDR content out there, so don't get me wrong, I just think that not all HDR should just pop like crazy.
theboomr likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #1770 of 6355 Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 45
^All very good points. Likely very source dependent. Without ABing directly with other HDR sets it would be hard to determine and even then would be very subjective.
The Coolest likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page