*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4321Likes

post #1801 of 6371 Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The one thing that bothers me is that I can't seem to get the settings the way I like them.

Specifically the gamma setting. Setting 2.0 looks great in darker scenes, while 2.2 looks better in brighter scenes and I simply can't decide which I like better. I always think I'll settle at 2.0 then a scene comes up that looks overly bright and I'll turn it back to 2.2 and be happy.

Suggestions? Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Some other setting I am not thinking of?

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 6371 Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
The one thing that bothers me is that I can't seem to get the settings the way I like them.

Specifically the gamma setting. Setting 2.0 looks great in darker scenes, while 2.2 looks better in brighter scenes and I simply can't decide which I like better. I always think I'll settle at 2.0 then a scene comes up that looks overly bright and I'll turn it back to 2.2 and be happy.

Suggestions? Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Some other setting I am not thinking of?
Not a great solution but you could configure two picture modes with identical settings except for the gamma and then just switch between the two.
post #1803 of 6371 Old 07-26-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
The start splash screen is mostly red and should show up dead pixels (just not ones stuck on a red-ish color). Fald isn't enabled on the menu screens so you can't check that. Can you just download some test images/videos to a USB drive and plug that in and use the inbuilt player channel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Well, f you could hook I up to the internet you'd be able to load the YouTube app and search for some test patterns to help look for dead pixels. Maybe some at the warehouse has wifi hot spot on there phone you could use for a few minutes.
Thanks guys. It was such a busy day I just plugged it in and gave the splash screen a close inspection. Didn't find any stuck pixels, and most importantly no shipping damage, so I'm sure I'm be totally content with the set once we get home tomorrow and I have a chance to check it out properly. It'll be replacing a Dynex 1080p set I got for a few hundred from Best Buy like 7-8 years ago, which is still going strong and turned out to be a great value. Excited for this very long and overdue upgrade, and glad to have a reason to pop back over to AVS after many years absence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 6371 Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnor View Post
I bought the 605 version a couple of weeks ago and have been pleased overall with the quality of the picture. There is a very brief bit of blur in motion/panning scenes that I can live with (for sports I've turned off the local dimming and dynamic contrast, which seems to help).

HDR is great, and I'm impressed with bright scenes when watching cable or streaming shows. But for normal 1080 shows like Game of Thrones, I get noise, sometimes banding, in some dark areas when the overall scene is also dark. The windows behind Daenerys in the opening scene of GoT this week is a prime example. It looks pretty-much the same whether through my Spectrum cable box and HDMI or streaming HBO Go over ethernet. I do not see the issue with HDR, for example Man in the High Castle.

I've tried all the settings recommended by Rtings, even the color adjustments to no avail. I also used the calibration disk from this site to do basic brightness/contrast adjustments without effect. The only way to get rid of the issue is to lower the brightness down to around 40, which is way too dark and crushes details.

Does anyone have any other ideas what I might be able to try to address this or what's causing it? Is it just life with 1080 upscaling and possibly compression?

Any feedback or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
I don't have a answer, but I have the exact same issue and came here to find a solution.

Had my 55P605 for about two weeks now. Most content looks great. Some dark continent looks very noisy and the blacks look clipped if that's the right term. I've done the basic Brightness\contrast\color\tint calibrations with test patterns. Gamma is set at 2.0 or 2.2. Sharpness at 0 and Noise filter at low (though I've tried all noise filter settings including Off) . Nothing seems to help much. I've tweaked various settings (Brightness\contrast\Noise\Gamma) while viewing the dark content with no real success in cleaning it up or reducing the noise at all really. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to happen often, but when it does, it's quite noticeable.

Very noticeable in the most recent episode of Game Of Thrones (S7-E2 "Stormborn") where Jon Snow and Little Finger are in the basement of Winterfell. Also, one of my all time favorite movies Glengarry Glen Ross looks extremely noisy throughout the whole movie. I watched it recently from my cable box (Brighthouse-Spectrum) and also through streaming Showtime. Streaming looked better, but only marginally.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #1805 of 6371 Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskubs View Post
Just came here to say that my wife and I watched Neon Demon streaming through Amazon on the weekend and it was mind blowing. There was a scene that begins totally dark and stays like that for several seconds and we legit though that the TV had turned off. We didn't even mean to watch the movie - I was just looking at random UHD movies to test the TV, but we stayed to the end just because it looked so beautiful.
great suggestion. checked this out last night. i dunno if i actually liked anything outside of the visuals (lol) but some of the shots in this movie
post #1806 of 6371 Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I think you should contact TCL as well. Maybe even reference my post. If it happens again to you try and take a few pics for them. The more reports they get, the better the chance they'll find a fix.
Just happened again yesterday which would be about 6 days just like you said, also resetting from the system menu did fix it also. Lets all hope this is just a software bug that gets resolved.
post #1807 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quick sanity check - I'm picking up the P605 version of this TV from Best Buy tonight and wanted to see if anyone has had luck setting this up with Universal Remotes like the MX-700, 850, etc? TCL as a brand is new to me, so I'm not sure if previous TCL discrete codes can be used.
post #1808 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
Quick sanity check - I'm picking up the P605 version of this TV from Best Buy tonight and wanted to see if anyone has had luck setting this up with Universal Remotes like the MX-700, 850, etc? TCL as a brand is new to me, so I'm not sure if previous TCL discrete codes can be used.
Works fine with Logitech 650 (IR)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
theboomr likes this.
post #1809 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
not really something you can fix. the screens just don't have great uniformity. probably part of getting manufacturing costs down to hit this price point. based on the cnet and rting reviews this set sounds like its bottom of the barrel of the sets they've reviewed in terms of gray uniformity. they basically just dismiss it as something that won't bother most viewers though.

unfortunately they are probably right about that. but i do kind of find it odd that they praise it for picture quality when i'd expect a videophile to be bothered by DSE.
Videophiles that buy this TV should know exactly what they're getting and understand the tradeoffs at this price point. This is truly a TV for the mass market as the value of a $600 (P605)/$649 (P607) that has FALD, HDR10, DV will mean a lot of regular people who just want a nice TV to watch are getting a tremendous value in getting a 4K 55" TV with this picture quality. The reviewers at most of these sites aren't writing for videophiles.
post #1810 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Settings

Is there a method to setting the 11 point white balance without professional equipment? Ditto for the color space.

I'm actually happy with the picture I'm getting on my 605, but I have to wonder if it's set the best it can be.
post #1811 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I don't have a answer, but I have the exact same issue and came here to find a solution.

Had my 55P605 for about two weeks now. Most content looks great. Some dark continent looks very noisy and the blacks look clipped if that's the right term. I've done the basic Brightness\contrast\color\tint calibrations with test patterns. Gamma is set at 2.0 or 2.2. Sharpness at 0 and Noise filter at low (though I've tried all noise filter settings including Off) . Nothing seems to help much. I've tweaked various settings (Brightness\contrast\Noise\Gamma) while viewing the dark content with no real success in cleaning it up or reducing the noise at all really. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to happen often, but when it does, it's quite noticeable.

Very noticeable in the most recent episode of Game Of Thrones (S7-E2 "Stormborn") where Jon Snow and Little Finger are in the basement of Winterfell. Also, one of my all time favorite movies Glengarry Glen Ross looks extremely noisy throughout the whole movie. I watched it recently from my cable box (Brighthouse-Spectrum) and also through streaming Showtime. Streaming looked better, but only marginally.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I'd imagine that would be a problem with the source material, numerous complaints about black levels on media played back via cable boxes. Try some UHD disc or at least OTA media to see if you still have the problem. Better TVs will show up the shortcomings of the media delivery method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
Is there a method to setting the 11 point white balance without professional equipment? Ditto for the color space.

I'm actually happy with the picture I'm getting on my 605, but I have to wonder if it's set the best it can be.
Then just enjoy it
post #1812 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post

The short answer to your questions is "Nope".
But you don't really need "professional" grade equipment, an i1d3 meter (i1Display Pro) is around $200-250 and will be good enough for this TV.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #1813 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
I'd imagine that would be a problem with the source material, numerous complaints about black levels on media played back via cable boxes. Try some UHD disc or at least OTA media to see if you still have the problem. Better TVs will show up the shortcomings of the media delivery method.

Then just enjoy it
Impossible for readers of this site. Videophiles gotta tweak. The constant need to tweak is what defines a videophile.
rolltide1017 likes this.
post #1814 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the reply. I agree it could have been the cable box, but I also streamed the same media through the Ruku TV apps (HBOGO and Showtime Anytime) bypassing the cable box and the HDMI inputs. Had the same issues. So I'm concerned maybe I don't have something set correctly.

If anyone reading this could stream the movie Glengarry Glen Ross and report back if they have very noticeable noise throughout the movie, I'd appreciate it?

EDIT: I don't consider myself a videophile, but I would like to make sure i'm getting the best performance out of my budget TV. For the most part, I'm very happy with the quality of the image. It's just these few specific instances where it seems to fall short and I'd like to make sure it's not a user generated problem.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 07-27-2017 at 08:41 PM.
post #1815 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got home from a long drive today, set the TV up and just had the chance to watch a short UDH HDR vid on Youtube. Super impressed with the PQ, while seeing clear as a smack in the face the issue with the noise reduction setting on this TV.

Sorry for the basic nature of this question, and it might well get clear to me after having more time to play with the set. But, I'm totally new to the Roku system and Smart TVs in general. I have figured out how to change the settings for the various inputs (HDMI 1, 2 etc.). But how do I change the PQ settings for streaming? Is that the "AV" setting?
post #1816 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 10:36 PM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post
Got home from a long drive today, set the TV up and just had the chance to watch a short UDH HDR vid on Youtube. Super impressed with the PQ, while seeing clear as a smack in the face the issue with the noise reduction setting on this TV.

Sorry for the basic nature of this question, and it might well get clear to me after having more time to play with the set. But, I'm totally new to the Roku system and Smart TVs in general. I have figured out how to change the settings for the various inputs (HDMI 1, 2 etc.). But how do I change the PQ settings for streaming? Is that the "AV" setting?
When you're streaming something, press *. That will get you to the basic settings menu. You can tweak expert settings on Roku app.
Capek likes this.
post #1817 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
Videophiles that buy this TV should know exactly what they're getting and understand the tradeoffs at this price point. This is truly a TV for the mass market as the value of a $600 (P605)/$649 (P607) that has FALD, HDR10, DV will mean a lot of regular people who just want a nice TV to watch are getting a tremendous value in getting a 4K 55" TV with this picture quality. The reviewers at most of these sites aren't writing for videophiles.

Totally agree. Things I dismiss and accept about this TV would cause me to demand a replacement of my OLED. Good picture for over 4 times less cost than the OLED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65" C7 OLED. Oppo 203. Denon 4300. Klipsch RP280af, 260f, 440c, 140AF. HSU 15-mk2. Layer 3 TV, Shield and a Blue Tick Healer
post #1818 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm a Panasonic ST30 plasma owner that has been eyeing the TCL 55P607. I'm pretty happy with my plasma but this looks like a cheap entry into 4k & HDR so I wanted to ask - Do you guys think it would be an upgrade moving from my Panny to the TCL? How does the TCL handle 1080p & lower resolutions? I watch a lot of blu ray movies, some DVDs & play console games. Your thoughts?
post #1819 of 6371 Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

FYI, firmware update is out, version 7.7.0 build 4111

I was notified by TCL that the new firmware adds FALD support in Game mode. It works, I was able to turn on Local Contrast with Game mode set to On!

I have asked TCL if this update possibly addresses the double image issue I have experienced. Still waiting for a reply.

Another FYI, the update reset all my picture settings, including the expert settings through the app. Make sure you write down your settings before applying the update.

Got to hand it to TCL for adding a popular feature request by the community so quickly. Plus another 1 in my book.
teufel, henhowc and theboomr like this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus

Last edited by rolltide1017; 07-28-2017 at 12:02 AM.
post #1820 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by maul528 View Post
I'm a Panasonic ST30 plasma owner that has been eyeing the TCL 55P607. I'm pretty happy with my plasma but this looks like a cheap entry into 4k & HDR so I wanted to ask - Do you guys think it would be an upgrade moving from my Panny to the TCL? How does the TCL handle 1080p & lower resolutions? I watch a lot of blu ray movies, some DVDs & play console games. Your thoughts?

I just moved from an LG plasma and I love it. I watch a lot of 720p and 1080p and imo it looks overall better on the TCL. I play a lot of Xbox one and that is definitely better.

It has some areas where the plasma was better of course, but I think it is quite the worthy upgrade especially for the price.

whizkid39 likes this.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #1821 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I was notified by TCL that the new firmware adds FALD support in Game mode. It works, I was able to turn on Local Contrast with Game mode set to On!

I have asked TCL if this update possibly addresses the double image issue I have experienced. Still waiting for a reply.

Another FYI, the update reset all my picture settings, including the expert settings through the app. Make sure you write down your settings before applying the update.

Got to hand it to TCL for adding a popular feature request by the community so quickly. Plus another 1 in my book.

It also seems to have enabled local dimming from the moment you power on the tv and while using the Roku smart tv interface and apps as well. So no more waiting until your show or movie starts for local dimming to engage.

theboomr likes this.
post #1822 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremaine Wright View Post
It also seems to have enabled local dimming from the moment you power on the tv and while using the Roku smart tv interface and apps as well. So no more waiting until your show or movie starts for local dimming to engage.

Omg this is exactly the kind of update I was waiting for! This TV will be pretty much perfect for me now.
post #1823 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 05:47 AM
KR_

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I thought this can be fixed by software updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
not really something you can fix. the screens just don't have great uniformity. probably part of getting manufacturing costs down to hit this price point. based on the cnet and rting reviews this set sounds like its bottom of the barrel of the sets they've reviewed in terms of gray uniformity. they basically just dismiss it as something that won't bother most viewers though.

unfortunately they are probably right about that. but i do kind of find it odd that they praise it for picture quality when i'd expect a videophile to be bothered by DSE.
post #1824 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Also noticed a default idle power off setting (4 hour default) and a change to the screen mirroring options.

Anyone know where to get release notes for updates?
theboomr likes this.
post #1825 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looks like a firmware update came out late last night. Enables FALD in game mode. Reports say it resets all settings. Haven't been able to confirm. Glad to see them listening to customers!
theboomr likes this.
post #1826 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
It doesn't reset ALL settings, just your picture settings. That was my experience last night.
theboomr likes this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #1827 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Omg this is exactly the kind of update I was waiting for! This TV will be pretty much perfect for me now.
Right? Great job by TCL/Roku. This TV set keeps getting better and better
post #1828 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGen View Post
When you're streaming something, press *. That will get you to the basic settings menu. You can tweak expert settings on Roku app.
Thanks man. That was simple enough to get set up. Used rtings settings almost verbatim, except left backlight at 20 and set gamma to 2.0. Very happy to say that after turning off noise reduction and setting sharpness to 0, motion looks natural and smooth.

I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with this TV so far. Such an authentic and natural-looking image. The 4k and/or HDR vids on youtube look fantastic!

It also looks like I had great luck with the panel I got. No deal/stuck pixels, and while I haven't displayed a test image for uniformity, I can only detect a very small amount of clouding (is it called?) in each corner and a tiny bit along the left side of the bottom edge. Not much more than a thumb printed sized amount in each corner. It'll be absolutely no problem to live with, and I'll just consider that the TV is providing a light vingetting effect for my viewing pleasure.
post #1829 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 08:16 AM
KR_

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I thought I read the gray uniformity issues can be fixed by firmware updates. Is this true or is it strictly wiring/hardware and therefore software updates can have no effect?

Also, is there a chance the 65" version will have improved uniformity?

Thanks.

Last edited by KR_; 07-28-2017 at 08:54 AM.
post #1830 of 6371 Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Wow, that is AWESOME! This is quite the TV for my coming Xbox One X with this feature enabled now too.
rolltide1017, Amel and theboomr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page