*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4341Likes

post #2011 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've never seen the HDR badge when using Netflix on my TCL p series, only VUDU. Can anyone else confirm they do see it?
bigapp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DiFilippo View Post
I've never seen the HDR badge when using Netflix on my TCL p series, only VUDU. Can anyone else confirm they do see it?
"GLOW" shows up with the HDR symbol when I launch it.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about that. I will check when I get home today.

Last edited by persiannight; 08-03-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #2013 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
Is Best Buy Delivery good? Trying to figure if I should do a pickup in store or delivery.
It was great for me.

They deliver it and will bring it in your house, all you have to do is sign for it. If you have to exchange it they'll simply bring a new set and pick the other one up (you need to have it boxed up though), no hassles or anything.

They don't use ups or anything, they have a delivery truck that comes from the nearest best buy store and a couple workers to handle delivery and pick ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post
Do you have the top level subscription to Netflix? If not, it would be worth bumping your subscription up a level, or signing up for a free month trial, just to watch Coral Chasers. There are some scenes in there which are un freakin' real when it comes to colors. Far and away the best PQ I've ever seen in my life, at least on a home theater screen.

In terms of Youtube HDR videos, I really liked the Chess one too, as well as the Fish one I posted a few pages back. I also liked the "Sony Glass blowing demo." And there's a vid called "Norway in 4K" I think, which isn't hdr, but is a good example of how 4k can look much better than 1080p.
Yeah I just bumped up my subscription today. I have held off on watching the new House of Cards and Sense8 seasons til I got a 4k tv for them.

Never heard of the coral chasers but will definitely add it to my queue as well now, thanks.

Last edited by Stiler; 08-03-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM
KR_

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Out of curiosity, is there a way to remove judder from 60i and 60p sources like FireTV? Rtings.com indicates it's not supported but perhaps there are other ways to tweak this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2015 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have an LG OLED and Daredevil is one that shows up in Dolby Vision for me just off the top of my head.
post #2016 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight View Post
"GLOW" shows up with the HDR symbol when I launch it.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about that. I will check when I get home today.
It's DV. It appears that DV is what Netflix uses for their original content. Fun show btw.
post #2017 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post
It's DV. It appears that DV is what Netflix uses for their original content. Fun show btw.
Netflix - Non-TV devices support HDR10

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

So getting back to my question, it's impossible to find out what version of HDR is used or if it's even turned on for the TCL version of Netflix.
post #2018 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:

So getting back to my question, it's impossible to find out what version of HDR is used or if it's even turned on for the TCL version of Netflix.
This is why on my TCL 49 S405 Glow shows up in Netflix as HDR.
post #2019 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

if you're subscribed to the appropriate plan it shows you what your tv supports. there isn't really any reason it needs to display both hdr and dv. unless you're saying you want the ability to toggle between the too? if that's the case, that seems like that would be something handled by the tv. is that something that other tvs are able to do (i.e. change some setting where the tv opts to tell the service to use hdr10 and not dv)?
theboomr likes this.
post #2020 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Enright View Post
I just purchased mine from best buy yesterday. Looks great, other than I'm noticing this "white flash" issue. Happened probably 20 times over the course of a 60 minute show on Netflix. What ended up happening after calling support?
Hi Sean,

Is there any Netflix programs that you have been watching that is easier for you to see the white flashing issue? Can you take a video or photo?

Steve
post #2021 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Does anyone know if Best Buy will do an exchange without the box? iE can I just take the Tv and let them keep the box of the new one?

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #2022 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Man... just switched to "Normal" mode instead of "Movie" mode and it really makes this set sing. Holy cow. I then switched it to the "Warm" color mode calibrated to the RTings settings, brought color down a couple notches along with backlight and wow it looks amazing. I suggest doing trying this out. Really gives it a punch that is not there in movie mode. It's pretty amazing. Granted I know the movie mode is technically more "accurate" but I love what Normal mode is doing for my eyes. The "Normal" mode just doesn't have as flat a tone curve as "movie" mode.

EDIT: Also tried this with Normal HDR and Normal DV mode too and it looks so much better and not dull like Dark HDR and Dark DV mode.

DOUBLE EDIT: PLEASE SOMEONE ELSE TRY THIS AND CONFIRM MY FINDS. I NEED VALIDATION. LOL. JUST BE SURE TO SET YOUR COLOR TEMP BACK TO WARM*.

TRIPLE EDIT: Much bigger effect on SDR and Dolby Vision HDR than on HDR10. Wonder why this is. Very odd.
nstubbs and theboomr like this.

Last edited by persiannight; 08-03-2017 at 04:30 PM.
post #2023 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've skimmed the thread a bit and love the detail...was just wondering/confirming that this is a good 55" 4k HDR set for someone on a budget. We need a TV for another room (just bought a new house), but don't have the luxury of a 1000+ tv. This seems to give me great gaming, tv, and movies with HDR for the 599. I'd probably get a Xbox One S at some point to use with it...

Am I right in this analysis or is there a better tv around my 600 price range?
post #2024 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by woertz View Post
I've skimmed the thread a bit and love the detail...was just wondering/confirming that this is a good 55" 4k HDR set for someone on a budget. We need a TV for another room (just bought a new house), but don't have the luxury of a 1000+ tv. This seems to give me great gaming, tv, and movies with HDR for the 599. I'd probably get a Xbox One S at some point to use with it...

Am I right in this analysis or is there a better tv around my 600 price range?
At 600, this is the only one you want.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
theboomr likes this.
post #2025 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks! Just like to make sure...seems awesome for what you pay for...I know it's not top of the line but like to get the best bang for my buck
theboomr likes this.
post #2026 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Man... just switched to "Normal" mode instead of "Movie" mode and it really makes this set sing. Holy cow. I then switched it to the "Warm" color mode calibrated to the RTings settings, brought color down a couple notches along with backlight and wow it looks amazing. I suggest doing trying this out. Really gives it a punch that is not there in movie mode. It's pretty amazing. Granted I know the movie mode is technically more "accurate" but I love what Normal mode is doing for my eyes. The "Normal" mode just doesn't have as flat a tone curve as "movie" mode.

EDIT: Also tried this with Normal HDR and Normal DV mode too and it looks so much better and not dull like Dark HDR and Dark DV mode.

DOUBLE EDIT: PLEASE SOMEONE ELSE TRY THIS AND CONFIRM MY FINDS. I NEED VALIDATION. LOL. JUST BE SURE TO SET YOUR COLOR TEMP BACK TO WARM*.
what'd you settle on for backlight and color? your suggested settings seem to mirror what they recommended for bright room viewing in the cnet review:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...14987452756345
post #2027 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
what'd you settle on for backlight and color? your suggested settings seem to mirror what they recommended for bright room viewing in the cnet review:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...14987452756345
Backlight for HDR10 and Dolby Vision I left at 100 and contrast I bring down to 90 so it doesn't bloom as much. TV Brightness I leave set to Normal. It's the Picture Mode I've changed from Movie, Dark HDR, Dark Dolby, to Normal, Normal HDR, Normal Dolby, for each type of feed. I reedited my original post to say that the effect is dramatic on SDR and Dolby Vision feeds but subtle on HDR10 feeds. Wonder why this is. Color I also leave at 45, though Normal mode for all 3 sets it to 50 so I kicked it back down some.

It's almost as if the Dolby Vision Dark Mode clips shadow details. Was just playing with it on paused scenes on Netflix and it really makes a huge difference.

I wonder if there's a bug in the Normal HDR mode for HDR10 material. It barely does anything.

Definitely appears to be a bug as it looks like its making the picture actually duller and darker in some parts. Who would I report this to?
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by persiannight; 08-03-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #2028 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Liked: 10
Can someone do me a favor?
I don't have one yet but I'm going to be pulling the plug tomorrow at best buy.
Can someone measure the spacing of the feet?
The stand I have is 40" and I think it might be cutting it close.
Checked the specs. I didn't see any listing.
Thanks in advance!!
post #2029 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by loustrk View Post
Can someone do me a favor?
I don't have one yet but I'm going to be pulling the plug tomorrow at best buy.
Can someone measure the spacing of the feet?
The stand I have is 40" and I think it might be cutting it close.
Checked the specs. I didn't see any listing.
Thanks in advance!!
It's listed on one of the question/answers at Amazon
post #2030 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
It's listed on one of the question/answers at Amazon
Thank you
post #2031 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Can someone test something for me. When watching HDR10 material, change the mode to NORMAL HDR instead of Dark HDR, also make sure to change your color temp to Warm. Does the picture get slightly darker and duller for you? Dolby Vision material acts like it should when changing the HDR mode. HDR10 mode changing seems messed up.

Actually just made all sliders equal on HDR10 material between Dark HDR and Normal HDR and there's no change when switching. Ha. Somethings not right in the firmware.
post #2032 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I picked up this TV last weekend, coming from a 2010 Panasonic G20 plasma. I'm still working on getting the settings where I like them, however I am picking up a bit of motion blur that is driving me crazy. The input lag seems every bit as good as my plasma (game mode on), but when playing games (XB1S and PS4) I notice the blur. It's not quite as jarring with 4K content, but it is slightly there.

I understand this panel is 60Hz, so is that the problem? Or am I just sensitive to motion blur regardless of the set? I'm sitting roughly 6-7 feet away and have a fairly dark room.

I thought about returning it and looking at an x900e, but a lot of reviews say the TCL handles motion just as good if not better. OLED is out of the question due to pricing.

post #2033 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrw003 View Post
I picked up this TV last weekend, coming from a 2010 Panasonic G20 plasma. I'm still working on getting the settings where I like them, however I am picking up a bit of motion blur that is driving me crazy. The input lag seems every bit as good as my plasma (game mode on), but when playing games (XB1S and PS4) I notice the blur. It's not quite as jarring with 4K content, but it is slightly there.

I understand this panel is 60Hz, so is that the problem? Or am I just sensitive to motion blur regardless of the set? I'm sitting roughly 6-7 feet away and have a fairly dark room.

I thought about returning it and looking at an x900e, but a lot of reviews say the TCL handles motion just as good if not better. OLED is out of the question due to pricing.

Did you turn off noise filter using the ROKU app? If not that will do it.

theboomr likes this.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #2034 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
Did you turn off noise filter using the ROKU app? If not that will do it.

I did. Unless it is somehow not registering, I've turned it off for every input.

post #2035 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I did. Unless it is somehow not registering, I've turned it off for every input.

Hrm... I also came from Plasma and game a lot on my TCL and I don't have any issues with motion that I can see anyway! (X1)

Just to be safe I would check the Roku app again while a game is loaded on the input.

If it is indeed off perhaps try FALD off just to see if it makes a difference?

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #2036 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hrm... I also came from Plasma and game a lot on my TCL and I don't have any issues with motion that I can see anyway! (X1)

Just to be safe I would check the Roku app again while a game is loaded on the input.

If it is indeed off perhaps try FALD off just to see if it makes a difference?

I really appreciate the fast responses!

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing it. Game mode on, noise reduction off, FALD off, and latest firmware update. I still notice it!

post #2037 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post
Hmm. Are you using a Gamma setting of 2.2? The adjustment should have minimal to zero effect on brightness levels above 50%.

If your Gamma is 2.2 and you still feel the midtones are being overadjusted, then try making the numbers at 10% to be 128 instead of 200, and then half it for every 10% increase in brightness, up to 50%. In other words:

5% = +256
10% = +128
20% = +64
30% = +32
40% = +16
50% = +8

...and the remainder at zero.

=jdmx=
Thanks for the hack. I've watched a few movies with it and enjoyed seeing what was in the shadows for once. If I decide I like the Rtings calibration settings on my set (still not sure), is it logical to just add your hack values, or the "half-hack", to those Rtings recommends for each setting?
post #2038 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate the fast responses!

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing it. Game mode on, noise reduction off, FALD off, and latest firmware update. I still notice it!

Oh no!! Maybe I am just used to it or not seeing it?? Is it a specific game?

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X
post #2039 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Oh no!! Maybe I am just used to it or not seeing it?? Is it a specific game?

All games! 60fps games, 30fps games. Maybe I am just ultra sensitive to it.

post #2040 of 6441 Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can someone test something for me. When watching HDR10 material, change the mode to NORMAL HDR instead of Dark HDR, also make sure to change your color temp to Warm. Does the picture get slightly darker and duller for you? Dolby Vision material acts like it should when changing the HDR mode. HDR10 mode changing seems messed up.

Actually just made all sliders equal on HDR10 material between Dark HDR and Normal HDR and there's no change when switching. Ha. Somethings not right in the firmware.
aren't dark hdr, normal hdr, and bright hdr basically identical outside of color temperature? if i leave all of the other settings the same and switch color temp. to warm the picture is the same between the three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page