2017 Samsung Q7F/Q7C Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 217Likes

post #301 of 560 Old 02-06-2018, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can any owners of the Q7F help me out?

I've had to return two factory second 55" Q7F's because they both had dead pixels. The first one had a single black dead pixel near the middle of the screen and the second one ended up having 3 dead pixels.

The retailer told me that even BRAND NEW ones come with dead pixels. But I thought Samsung has a 0 dead pixel policy so I'm confused (I live in Australia).

I've already got my full refund but is it true that brand new Q7F's potentially have a chance of dead pixels and Samsung won't do anything about it? How many dead pixels is acceptable? Was I being too picky for returning a TV with just one dead pixel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 560 Old 02-08-2018, 01:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetRep View Post
there is a new firmware update 1156.0 out now

has anyone upgraded yet? any changes?
I found in the Samsung community forum: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ht/true#M29069

Looks like this version is for the following TVs
Model :MU6300, MU6500, MU7000, MU7500, MU8000, MU8500, MU9000, Q7F, Q7C, Q8C, Q9F, LS003
And someone mentioned that Netflix app was updated to Jan 2018 date. With fix for detecting proper internet speed.

I'll update my Q7F this evening and post back tomorrow if I notice anything interesting.
post #303 of 560 Old 02-09-2018, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My post is being asked in this thread because the image will be critiqued on my new 65" Q7F.

I'm looking to purchase a visually stunning movie in 4k UHD with Atmos sound that can be purchased as a physical UHD BD from store, as well as purchased online for streaming from Vudu to test my system.
UHD BD movie disc will be played from M9500, and the online movie will be streamed from Vudu via M9500, then streamed from Roku. All will be displayed on my new 65" Q7F.

What movie would you recommend?

Yamaha TSR-7810 with polk speakers setup in 5.1.2 configuration.
Samsung M9500 UHD player
Samsung 65" Q7F
Hopper 3
Roku Ultra

Last edited by tripntx; 02-09-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 560 Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
My post is being asked in this thread because the image will be critiqued on my new 65" Q7F.

What movie would you recommend?
I tried to give links, but I have less than five posts so I cannot.

UHD BluRay: Interstellar

Vudu: Blade Runner 2049
post #305 of 560 Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riake View Post
I tried to give links, but I have less than five posts so I cannot.

UHD BluRay: Interstellar

Vudu: Blade Runner 2049
Thank you
post #306 of 560 Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The peerless articulating units are the best I have seen they are far more cost but you can look at them and see the quality difference......
Thanks again for the info.
I jumped on your site and you guys don't even sell the Peerless brackets. I bought the 85 lb Peerless PLAV70-UNL articulating bracket and can't wait to install it and the tv on the wall this weekend.
post #307 of 560 Old 02-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
Read about half this thread. Not even completely sure of or if my model number belongs here. I got it from Costco, 55Q75F if that is even the correct model. It's not on the box, receipt or manual. My best guess is it is a model sold only by Costco.

Based on that alone I may return this set. It has been hard to get specific information on my set. All suggestions so far are for the Q7 sets and there seems to be some differences.

I called Samsung tech support but to ask about the expert settings and when the foreign born agent asked to take control of my set I recalled concerns about smart TVs spying on you.

That's not a major concern but is something to think about. Just startled me. Will figure out how to disable it later.

I'm not sure if the HDR is being used. I can't find any display saying it is being used. I can see the settings in the setup menus on both the TV and Oppo udp 203. Do I need to run my HDMI straight to the TV bypassing my Marantz av7702 mkll, does that cause the HDR to not display properly.

Another thing I'm not happy with is how on some UHD movies the motion is terrible. The same movie on Blu-ray looks much better. I would say there is not much improvement from 4k .

I have more concerns but don't want to overwhelm the thread.
Well I'm returning the set and I'm going to stick with my Panasonic plasma. I used the set for about 4 weeks and there are to many minor annoyances. The best stuff was the HDR youtube channel but movies in 1080p just didn't look as natural even UHD movies were more annoying than improved. I can watch the same UHD movie on the Oppo 203 player on the plasma and it seems smoother more natural IMO more like what you would see at the theater. Glad I bought it locally at Costco.
Latinoheat likes this.
post #308 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
I initially had AB03 on my Q7 then replaced the panel which was version AA04 then replaced a whole new tv that has panel FB04....this new panel is so much better.
I just bought 65 Q7F over the weekend and it also came with a FB04 panel. I'm coming from a 65KS800D which was a great tv. Have you been able to figure out what manufacturer makes the panel? Ive been trying to research since sunday but all I was able to find was a MU6300 model with that particular panel and it was in fact a Samsung one. The picture is great and there is absolutely no light bleed but I've always bought sets with Samsung panels as a rule and this one is hard to figure out. I'm also having judder issues while watching Hulu, nothing major but enough to catch my eye and annoy me. Also, read through the entire thread and wasn't able to find any settings that people may have posted which I'd like to use as a starting point. I looked at the RTINGS site but wanted to see what others were doing with the settings.. Thanks in advance..
post #309 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Desire more light for indoor scenes

I have had the 65Q7F (FA02) for 6 weeks now. It is in a bright big and many windows room, but this issue happens all the time, regardless of ambient light. I leave HDR+ on for almost all viewing and have the ambient light settings under Eco turned off.

Watching anything (HD, UHD) via the 4K Comcast box or either my Oppo 105 and 203, even direct antenna local channels, outside scenes are plenty bright, but interior scenes and outside night (not city lit) scenes are all too dark for my preferences.

Although I like black blacks, if there is any detail in the scene, I want to be able to see it, even looking into the screen at dark corners or the unlit half of a side-lit face. Even if I crank up backlight (20), brightness (+5) and contrast (100), the subtle near-black parts from interior and exterior-night scenes are too dark to see any detail.

What other settings (other than backlight, brightness, contrast) can I adjust for this, that is, to bring out the dark (but not black) information in these types of screens?

Disclaimer: I understand the desire from serious TV viewers to say it should be dark. I have a personal preference to see any detail that the film maker(s) place on the screen. If it's black, then okay, I can't see anything, but if it's lighter than black, I want to see what it is.
post #310 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
I just bought 65 Q7F over the weekend and it also came with a FB04 panel. I'm coming from a 65KS800D which was a great tv. Have you been able to figure out what manufacturer makes the panel? Ive been trying to research since sunday but all I was able to find was a MU6300 model with that particular panel and it was in fact a Samsung one. The picture is great and there is absolutely no light bleed but I've always bought sets with Samsung panels as a rule and this one is hard to figure out. I'm also having judder issues while watching Hulu, nothing major but enough to catch my eye and annoy me. Also, read through the entire thread and wasn't able to find any settings that people may have posted which I'd like to use as a starting point. I looked at the RTINGS site but wanted to see what others were doing with the settings.. Thanks in advance..
i'm assuming the FB04 is a samsung panel. The previous versions I had were AU Optronics.

turn auto motion plus to custom, then put both sliders to 0. This way your tv should recognize all frame rates for the picture you are watching.

Last edited by NetRep; 02-21-2018 at 11:09 AM.
post #311 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
turn auto motion plus to custom, then put both sliders to 0. This way your tv should recognize all frame rates for the picture you are watching.

It's normal for 65 or bigger inch tv to have judder like motion as the bigger the tv the more of this effect you will see. It's not just limited to Samsung TVs.
Compared to the 65 KS8000 that this replaced, it is definitely more noticeable. I will change the motion plus to those settings and give it a try. Thanks..
post #312 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Compared to the 65 KS8000 that this replaced, it is definitely more noticeable. I will change the motion plus to those settings and give it a try. Thanks..

ive seen a 55 inch Q7 and the motion blur is less obvious
post #313 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Anyone who's interested, the Korean samsung site has firmware 1202.0 available for manual download. It will work on the US version of the TV.

http://www.samsung.com/sec/support/model/QN65Q7FAMFXKR/

The firmware will not install if it determines that it's the wrong model.

EDIT 2/22/18
Firmware installs fine and seems to fix wifi connectivity issues. TV was always choosing 2.4ghz network instead of the 5ghz one. After update, 5ghz become the preferred network.

Last edited by n2speed125; 02-23-2018 at 11:11 AM.
post #314 of 560 Old 02-21-2018, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
What other settings (other than backlight, brightness, contrast) can I adjust for this, that is, to bring out the dark (but not black) information in these types of screens?
Gamma.

I have 65Q7F also, using HDR+ mode, with Gamma set to BT.1886 and the setting for level of 1886 at 3, the highest setting.

Also, check that Settings > General > External Device Manager > HDMI Black Level is set to Low.

Greg Lee
post #315 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Gamma.

I have 65Q7F also, using HDR+ mode, with Gamma set to BT.1886 and the setting for level of 1886 at 3, the highest setting.

Also, check that Settings > General > External Device Manager > HDMI Black Level is set to Low.
Thanks Greg. Upping the BT level to 3 does add brightness. I'm not sure what other setting I have, but the HDMI Black Level is greyed out (both in and not in HDR+ mode). I'm not sure which setting I need to change in order to access this.
post #316 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Liked: 13
Optical out

I just got the Q7F and im wondering what configuration I need to use to get my Vizio surround system to work. It supports ARC, but im not sure about HDMI passthrough as I know for 4K video I need HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. I doubt my bar is HDMI 2.0 probably 1.4. So my plan was to go straight HDMI to a 4K compliant HDMI switch and then to the OneConnect, then use the optical out of the OneConnect to the soundbar.

That being said does the OneConnect box then regulate the volume similar to ARC? Or will I need to control the volume with the soundbar remote itself? Im just double checking all this as I need to get all the right compliant cabling etc before I hook this up. But in order to do that I need to understand what configuration I should use.
post #317 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
I just got the Q7F and im wondering what configuration I need to use to get my Vizio surround system to work. It supports ARC, but im not sure about HDMI passthrough as I know for 4K video I need HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. I doubt my bar is HDMI 2.0 probably 1.4. So my plan was to go straight HDMI to a 4K compliant HDMI switch and then to the OneConnect, then use the optical out of the OneConnect to the soundbar.

That being said does the OneConnect box then regulate the volume similar to ARC? Or will I need to control the volume with the soundbar remote itself? Im just double checking all this as I need to get all the right compliant cabling etc before I hook this up. But in order to do that I need to understand what configuration I should use.
HDCP 2.2 should only refer to video as it's a copy protection standard. Just run an HDMI cable from input 2 to your surround sound bar and run the smart remote setup on the tv for the tv to discover it and set it up.
post #318 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
HDCP 2.2 should only refer to video as it's a copy protection standard. Just run an HDMI cable from input 2 to your surround sound bar and run the smart remote setup on the tv for the tv to discover it and set it up.
Ok think im getting what your telling me? Use HDMI 2 > soundbar (im assuming this is the ARC HDMI), then the video would run from my switch out to HDMI 1.

The reason why I mentioned the HDCP was my previous installation with my current samsung was going THROUGH the sound bar and out to the TV. I did double check the soundbar is 1.4 so going through would not work for my XBOX One X 4K im also hooking up. I dont know why but I had not thought about splitting the HDMI sound/video as your suggesting.
post #319 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Ok think im getting what your telling me? Use HDMI 2 > soundbar (im assuming this is the ARC HDMI), then the video would run from my switch out to HDMI 1.

The reason why I mentioned the HDCP was my previous installation with my current samsung was going THROUGH the sound bar and out to the TV. I did double check the soundbar is 1.4 so going through would not work for my XBOX One X 4K im also hooking up. I dont know why but I had not thought about splitting the HDMI sound/video as your suggesting.
Why are you using a switch?
post #320 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Why are you using a switch?
Figured that may come up, I have a Tivo Bolt which I use the remote for to control the tv. The wife is not tech savvy at all, so I have my current TV setup for HDMI 1, and let the switch do the thinking (auto switching).

So after checking this further, it dawned on me in my tivo upgrade it does include remote with learned input. So I can forgo the switch and go direct to One Connect. One problem down! So I only need to make sure I have all HDMI 2.0 compatible cables.

So my setup should be:
One Connect HDMI 2 > Sound bar
Tivo / XBOX One X > One Connect HDMI 1/3
Use Tivo remote to change inputs
post #321 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Figured that may come up, I have a Tivo Bolt which I use the remote for to control the tv. The wife is not tech savvy at all, so I have my current TV setup for HDMI 1, and let the switch do the thinking (auto switching).

So after checking this further, it dawned on me in my tivo upgrade it does include remote with learned input. So I can forgo the switch and go direct to One Connect. One problem down! So I only need to make sure I have all HDMI 2.0 compatible cables. And yeah, getting some good quality cables will probably be a good idea in case you run into issues. These are the ones I got and they work great..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So my setup should be:
One Connect HDMI 2 > Sound bar
Tivo / XBOX One X > One Connect HDMI 1/3
Use Tivo remote to change inputs
If you plug everything directly into the one connect box, the tv remote should be able to control everything that's hooked into it. Plug everything into the one connect and during setup, it will tell you to turn everything on and it "should" discover everything and allow you to use the tv remote for all. My parents weren't very tech savy and trying to explain this stuff to them drove me insane..
post #322 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
If you plug everything directly into the one connect box, the tv remote should be able to control everything that's hooked into it. Plug everything into the one connect and during setup, it will tell you to turn everything on and it "should" discover everything and allow you to use the tv remote for all. My parents weren't very tech savy and trying to explain this stuff to them drove me insane..
I understand your frustration I go through this with the wife also. It just never occurred to me for whatever reason to just use HDMI 2 to the sound bar surround system. I was passing through it before for video and audio. So I can skip all that and just go direct to the sound bar and not pass through it. I will try it as you suggested, im pretty sure I get your point. Been out of the AV game for a bit, used to go hog wild with projectors and receivers and such.

Thanks for the suggestions, I just get confused on the One Connect, the HDMI 2 "input" as I see a soundbar as a "output" but being its 2 channel HDMI is really both. Just didnt grasp that until you gave me the pointers. So I think im all set to hook this up this weekend, just need to amazon me some HDMI 2.0 cables.

Thanks man, I owe you a brew.
n2speed125 likes this.
post #323 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I understand your frustration I go through this with the wife also. It just never occurred to me for whatever reason to just use HDMI 2 to the sound bar surround system. I was passing through it before for video and audio. So I can skip all that and just go direct to the sound bar and not pass through it. I will try it as you suggested, im pretty sure I get your point. Been out of the AV game for a bit, used to go hog wild with projectors and receivers and such.

Thanks for the suggestions, I just get confused on the One Connect, the HDMI 2 "input" as I see a soundbar as a "output" but being its 2 channel HDMI is really both. Just didnt grasp that until you gave me the pointers. So I think im all set to hook this up this weekend, just need to amazon me some HDMI 2.0 cables.

Thanks man, I owe you a brew.
Try these, they are awesome quality and haven't had any issues with HDCP 2.2:

TeeJay1952 and starchild like this.
post #324 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Try these, they are awesome quality and haven't had any issues with HDCP 2.2:

Those look perfect, appreciate it.
post #325 of 560 Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Those look perfect, appreciate it.
Glad to help.. Have fun with the setup. I just did mine this Monday and am happy with it so far..
starchild likes this.
post #326 of 560 Old 02-23-2018, 03:47 AM

Liked: 0
Digital Output Audio question:

1. On MTV I set the Digital Output Audio to Dolby Digital
2. Then I change channel to Mezzo and set the Digital Output Audio to DTS Neo 2:5
3. Back to MTV - the Digital Output Audio is DTS Neo 2:5, and not Dolby Digital, as I set it in step 1.
And the vicious circle continues 1. to 3. and again.

My question is: how can I retain the Digital Output Audio settings for any individual channel?

Q7F connects to my audio receiver via HDMI Arc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132339.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2365672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132333.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	877.0 KB
ID:	2365674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132246.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2365676   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132222.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2365678   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132151.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2365680  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132124.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	946.7 KB
ID:	2365682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_132111.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2365684   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_131948.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2365686   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_131852.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2365688  
post #327 of 560 Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtips View Post
Digital Output Audio question:

1. On MTV I set the Digital Output Audio to Dolby Digital
2. Then I change channel to Mezzo and set the Digital Output Audio to DTS Neo 2:5
3. Back to MTV - the Digital Output Audio is DTS Neo 2:5, and not Dolby Digital, as I set it in step 1.
And the vicious circle continues 1. to 3. and again.

My question is: how can I retain the Digital Output Audio settings for any individual channel?

Q7F connects to my audio receiver via HDMI Arc.
You can't set audio for individual channels. I believe you can do if for individual inputs but not separate channels on same input.
bgtips likes this.
post #328 of 560 Old 02-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You can't set audio for individual channels. I believe you can do if for individual inputs but not separate channels on same input.
I've noticed that it does not retain the setting even upon changing inputs.
post #329 of 560 Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riake View Post
I've noticed that it does not retain the setting even upon changing inputs.
I'll have to try it. I wonder if you have to uncheck the box that says to apply settings to all sources in the picture settings.
bgtips likes this.
post #330 of 560 Old 02-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HDR10 Plus On Amazon Prime Video and Samsung Q7F QLED TV

I just got a 55IN Samsung Q7F TV and I have an Amazon Prime subscription. Samsung said that their 2017 QLED TV’s would have HDR10 Plus working out of the box. Samsung and Amazon announced back in December that all of Amazon Prime’s HDR movies have been updated to HDR10 Plus. When I watch a HDR movie on Amazon, it just shows HDR in the description and not HDR10 Plus. Is there something extra I have to do to see HDR10 Plus content from Amazon Video on my Q7F or will my Q7F have to have a firmware update to view HDR10 Plus content on Amazon Video?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page