2017 Samsung Q7F/Q7C Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 217Likes

post #1 of 564 Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
2017 Samsung Q7F/Q7C Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

I had the 65" Q7F delivered earlier this week, replacing my 55" LG B6 that suffered terrible burn-in issues.

Some observations:

+ Colors on this set are incredible, and 4K HDR looks amazing.
+ Black levels are outstanding when you have lighting in your room. In a dark room, as long as you turn down the brightness, black levels are still pretty good and bleeding from the bottom can be minimized. It has not been distracting watching movies.
+ Love the super thin bezel and overall premium aesthetic and build quality.
+ With center seating position in a well lit room, this has the edge over the OLED because of the brightness and color gamut.
+ Tizen OS is beautiful and snappy. Love the previews for the top TV shows and movies currently airing on your cable provider!

- In a dark room, the OLED has an obvious advantage.
- Viewing angles nowhere near as good as the OLED, but still better for most other LCD sets.
- Some edge bleeding is noticeable when watching movies (which can be reducing by reducing the brightness).
- While the remote has incredible build quality (it's all aluminum), it's annoying to have to use a d-pad to control everything. I miss LG's "magic remote" and the pointer.
- The "invisible" one connect cable is a bit of a gimmick considering you also need to plug in a power cable directly from the TV to the one connect. In this respect, their promotional photos are misleading (since they don't show the power cable connected!)

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the Q7F. While I loved my OLED set, the burn-in issues I had have scared me away from getting another set until they address it (if even possible). While the Q7F isn't as good as OLED sets in certain areas, it does compensate in different areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8672.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	2203873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8669.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2203881   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-11.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	2203897  
fafrd, Chuck Ebby, ray0414 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 564 Old 06-25-2017, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It looks like the remote has an IR blaster on the front, but I have yet to figure out how to get it working. I use a Sonos Playbar, and it's annoying having to use my old 2014 remote to change volume. All the new smart remotes appear to be Bluetooth.
post #3 of 564 Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 564 Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty View Post
It looks like the remote has an IR blaster on the front, but I have yet to figure out how to get it working. I use a Sonos Playbar, and it's annoying having to use my old 2014 remote to change volume. All the new smart remotes appear to be Bluetooth.
Did you try the set up to add a sound system for the optical connection? My Bose SoundTouch is connected via ARC, has worked flawlessly.
post #5 of 564 Old 06-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unprocessed View Post
Did you try the set up to add a sound system for the optical connection? My Bose SoundTouch is connected via ARC, has worked flawlessly.
Sonos doesn't have HDMI, so ARC isn't an option. Optical is the only thing I can do. It sounds beautiful, just can't control the soundbar through the TV remote.
post #6 of 564 Old 06-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm eyeing the Q7F 55 inch version with the round-base Gravity Stand.

My question is:
Is this a Quantum Leap over my Samsung Bordeaux LCD TV from 2007?
post #7 of 564 Old 06-30-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

My question is:
Yeah, LCD wasn't very good back then. It's a pretty big leap even from my HU8550 from 2014.
post #8 of 564 Old 06-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

My question is:
I think even the LG IPS LCDs would be a substantial upgrade to that TV, let alone this.
post #9 of 564 Old 06-30-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
This was unfortunate for me as well. I use a Logitech Harmony Elite though to control everything and it works very well. It is a good alternative, even though pricey.
post #10 of 564 Old 06-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkey17 View Post
This was unfortunate for me as well. I use a Logitech Harmony Elite though to control everything and it works very well. It is a good alternative, even though pricey.
I thought about getting one, but really the only devices I use are the soundbar, and the TV, since I stream everything. The new remote looks so nice, it's a shame to toss it in a drawer.
With Sonos adding voice control via Echo, maybe I'll use it more.
post #11 of 564 Old 07-03-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I thought about getting one, but really the only devices I use are the soundbar, and the TV, since I stream everything. The new remote looks so nice, it's a shame to toss it in a drawer.
With Sonos adding voice control via Echo, maybe I'll use it more.
I really like the new remote as well. Even though I don't use it much I keep it out just as kind of a discussion piece ha.
post #12 of 564 Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 AM

I am two weeks in with my Q7 now, and do not regret my purchase one bit. Love watching content on the DirecTV 4K ch, and on the UHD player. Hope others are feeling the same, despite some of the claims that are out there about it. I am not sure that I could ask much more out of my TV.

I do have a question, has anyone figured out how to disable the pop up notifications? I have been getting one since last week and cannot figure it out. I'm sure I have passed over it 100 times.
King Richard likes this.
post #13 of 564 Old 07-03-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Does the 55 inch Q7 come in FA01 or FA02 panel? I normally prefer the Samsung panel rather than a second party. I am very pleased with my KS8000 with FA01 panel from last year. Excellent price vs. performance with holiday pricing. Debating between the MU8000 or Q7 this year, but have to wait until Labor Day or Black Friday for prices to drop more.

The MU8000 looked very nice in the store at Best Buy, but supposedly it lacks quantum dot technology and is inferior to the KS8000 from last year. So I will probably go with the Q7 but I want to be sure it is a Samsung FA02 panel. I am not sure if AA01 and AB04 are Samsung panels that I have seen on some of the models this year.
post #14 of 564 Old 07-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am two weeks in with my Q7 now, and do not regret my purchase one bit. Love watching content on the DirecTV 4K ch, and on the UHD player. Hope others are feeling the same, despite some of the claims that are out there about it. I am not sure that I could ask much more out of my TV.
Could you put here the TV settings that are you using to see the content of movies in 4K HDR with the UHD Player.

Thank you.
post #15 of 564 Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaglty
Yeah, LCD wasn't very good back then. It's a pretty big leap even from my HU8550 from 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick
I think even the LG IPS LCDs would be a substantial upgrade to that TV, let alone this.
Yeah I get the feeling as well.

I mean, our current HDTV sets that we have here are relatively good for me so far.....since I have extremely lenient standards. HOWEVER, one noticeable flaw that I evidently see (from the viewpoint of a noob/casual) on our 2007 Samsung LCD TV is that during dark or black scenes (e.g. night or pitch-black darkness), I can see some white stuff and artifacts. It doesn't bother me that much.........though it some times makes me scratch my head.

Must be due to the old-school CCFL backlight technology of the pre-2010 era (which is what my 2007-2008 Samsung Bordeuax TV is using)

------------------------
Anyways:
I can't wait to see how the Q7F would smoke my 2007 Samsung TV in just about anything (especially on 720P/1080I broadcast content which is what I watch mostly)
post #16 of 564 Old 07-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Does the 55 inch Q7 come in FA01 or FA02 panel?.
What is the difference between the FA01 and FA02 panel? Just recently picked up a 65" Q7F which has an FA02 panel...curious what the difference is...

UN65HU8550FXZA Golf/TS01
post #17 of 564 Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpm123 View Post
What is the difference between the FA01 and FA02 panel? Just recently picked up a 65" Q7F which has an FA02 panel...curious what the difference is...
Those are both Samsung panels which are normally recommended rather than second party panels from another manufacturer. Both should be good panels. I have a 55KS8000 with a FA01 panel from last year. It looks like the 2017 models including MU8000 and Q7 use a FA02 panel. That would be my preference. I am not sure if AB03 and AB04 are Samsung panels.
hpm123 likes this.
post #18 of 564 Old 07-05-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avbiae View Post
Could you put here the TV settings that are you using to see the content of movies in 4K HDR with the UHD Player.

Thank you.
Are you asking for the settings of Backlight/Brightness and so forth? I used setting I found and adjusted from there. To get UHD you have to turn it on in the settings which device you want to receive it, and turn it on in the settings of the device that can utilize it as well.
post #19 of 564 Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Are you asking for the settings of Backlight/Brightness and so forth? I used setting I found and adjusted from there. To get UHD you have to turn it on in the settings which device you want to receive it, and turn it on in the settings of the device that can utilize it as well.
Yes, I am asking about the settings for calibrated tv of Backlight, Colour, Brightnesd, Local Dimming, ...... to see 4K HDR content.
post #20 of 564 Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
https://giphy.com/gifs/Hll4GHdIVMHoQ

Just horrendous really...

from Rtings:

Update 07/05/2017: We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m², at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.
MCaugusto and ray0414 like this.

Last edited by interfreak; 07-05-2017 at 08:33 PM.
post #21 of 564 Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12688 Post(s)
Liked: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s

from Rtings:

Update 07/05/2017: We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m², at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.

that is awesome. and hilarious. Kudos to the guys for holding a straight face.

I have to admit, ive wanted to do something similar with my edge lit tvs in the past for having clouding. just drop it and smash it and see if it gets better

but on a more serious note, it could mean the build quality and design is complete garbage if shipping is mis-aligning the plates like that.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #22 of 564 Old 07-06-2017, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I do have a question, has anyone figured out how to disable the pop up notifications? I have been getting one since last week and cannot figure it out. I'm sure I have passed over it 100 times.
I believe it was in the settings and look for the title "notifications" I remember turning mine off but can't remember off handed exactly.

JVK Samsung 2018 QN75Q7F, UBD-K8500, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.1.4 Klipsch G-28, G-16, G-12 & R-115SW
Samsung 2017 QN65Q7F, Yamaha RX-V681 5.1 Klipsch G-28, G16 & R112SW
post #23 of 564 Old 07-06-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:

from Rtings:

Update 07/05/2017: We improved the TV's brightness by realigning the light guide plates by dropping the TV, as shown in this video. The brightness increased a bit, by 30-100 cd/m?, at the cost of worse uniformity. The brightness scores have been updated, and an updated brightness plot is shown here.
This is so funny, haha. At least they figured out the root cause, one would hope in 2018 they go back to the drawing board in terms of design. Holy mackeral
post #24 of 564 Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My viewpoint

I purchased my Q7F on 4/21. Admittedly I did go back and forth on wether to return it or not. There weren't much in reviews and most said it was an overpriced 2016KS model. I had never bought a really brand new model before, usually buying in the marked down T'giving sales. I think I subconsciously let my return window run out as the last day was pouring down rain and I have an open pu truck and therefor couldn't return it. LOL

I'm glad I kept it. Watching some of my streamimg movies that are 1080P but using the hdr+ setting on the tv makes the picture fantastic. Couldn't be more clear. It's practcally worth paying the cheaper purchase/rental prices and letting the tv upgrade it. I was able to set up my equip w/ the nice factory remote and everything turns on and off, vol and menus work well. Like others mentioned I kind of missed the pointer remote from my hu7250.

I didn't hook up the k8500 w/ the tv remote because I don't use it much and didn't want it to be on for no reason. I do have some problems with that setup though. I play the k8500 with 1 hdmi to the tv and 1 hdmi sound to my denon because of playing atmos sound. Every time I pause the player the sound reverts back to arc which actually has no sound and I have to press my avr remote back to the bluray setting. Usually have to fight that when starting up the disc also, keeps wanting to switch to arc.

The streaming on this tv is almost instant when playing apps like Netflix. From the home screen you can scroll over to it and even see some recent things you've played, click on it and it opens right up. My hu7250 takes for ever to load apps.

While the tv power cable and box each have a power cord, I have an electrical box behind my wall hung tv which I'd recommend every one do for wall hungs anyway. After all the money on equip, even if you do need to pay an electrician it's a nicer looking setup. To be honest mine is thru the wall as my equip is in the room behind the tv.

I don't do calibrations, so mine is pretty much how the factory sets it. I may get it done after giving some good break in time. There's a nice info screen that gives the tv's ser number etc but I wish it would give the hours too. I don't like to get into service menus due to fear of screwing something up to get that info.

Previous poster said he can't wait to see what this tv does w/ 720P and 1080i tv inputs. You should understand that the poorer the input the less it can output. If that's your main interest you may be better off with a cheaper model tv. The 1080i of my fios cable box is probably pretty equal between my 2 tv's. The screen size would be a big difference too. 4K improvements show up better when sitting closer to the screen. 65” tv seating is suggested at 6' – 8'.
King Richard likes this.

JVK Samsung 2018 QN75Q7F, UBD-K8500, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.1.4 Klipsch G-28, G-16, G-12 & R-115SW
Samsung 2017 QN65Q7F, Yamaha RX-V681 5.1 Klipsch G-28, G16 & R112SW
post #25 of 564 Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4888
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s

from Rtings:

I can't telli if this is a joke or not.

Guess we don't have too many Q7F owners yet, but has anyone had the b*lls to try this recommended 'break-in' procedure?

On a (slightly) more serious note, do we have any owners who have thrown a meter onto their Q7F to measure peak output yet?
post #26 of 564 Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I can't telli if this is a joke or not.

Guess we don't have too many Q7F owners yet, but has anyone had the b*lls to try this recommended 'break-in' procedure?
It's not a joke, but I'd be curious to know if someone at Samsung told them this "fix" was a good idea or they just used "internet knowledge" as their guide (er, no pun intended). I have to believe Rtings knows what kind of impact this would have by releasing the video; I believe I read one calibrator on here say Samsung is not pleased.

Frankly, to be fair to Samsung, I think they should have ordered their second Q7 from a source other than Amazon. Likely, #2 came off the same build & distribution paths and suffered a similar fate (plus had the 40+ mile drive from Champlain, NY they mentioned).

They really should take their calibration gear to a local Montreal b&m and measure a random Q7 there.

I wish Vincent at HDTVTest would get one of these or a Q8 to test.
King Richard likes this.
post #27 of 564 Old 07-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
It's not a joke, but I'd be curious to know if someone at Samsung told them this "fix" was a good idea or they just used "internet knowledge" as their guide (er, no pun intended). I have to believe Rtings knows what kind of impact this would have by releasing the video; I believe I read one calibrator on here say Samsung is not pleased.
How can anyone in their right mind think that the 'fix' from damage/mishandlng during transit be to drop the TV repeatedly

Quote:
Frankly, to be fair to Samsung, I think they should have ordered their second Q7 from a source other than Amazon. Likely, #2 came off the same build & distribution paths and suffered a similar fate (plus had the 40+ mile drive from Champlain, NY they mentioned).
There must be a big mutha' pothole on that drive ...

Quote:
They really should take their calibration gear to a local Montreal b&m and measure a random Q7 there.
Well that's not going to happen. No B&M retailer in their right mind is goung to let someone mess around with calibration on the showroom floor... (with the possible exception of Robert at Value Electronics ).

The only problem with what they have done was that long drive - most consumers are going to have Amazon deliver to their homes or drive home from their local Best Buy.

If Cedric wants to simulate a real-world US-customer-based experience, power to him, but he should find a house or at least a testing location in the US to use...

As it is, we have no idea whether the issue was caused by typical Amazon delivery or that big pothole on the long drive back to Canada .
losservatore and King Richard like this.
post #28 of 564 Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
I sent the link for the RTINGS video to one of the directors & to the engineering team just a few hours after it was posted, and they were shocked and furious that anyone would post this as a "fix", whether or not it was recommended as such by the poster.
King Richard likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #29 of 564 Old 07-07-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I sent the link for the RTINGS video to one of the directors & to the engineering team just a few hours after it was posted, and they were shocked and furious that anyone would post this as a "fix", whether or not it was recommended as such by the poster.
As fast as internet stuff spreads like wildfire these days and the fact these sets dont seem to be selling as fast as Samsung was anticipating has to be concerning for them.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #30 of 564 Old 07-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Well that's not going to happen. No B&M retailer in their right mind is goung to let someone mess around with calibration on the showroom floor... (with the possible exception of Robert at Value Electronics ).
I've seen Vincent at HDTVTest do this recently, which is why I mentioned it . Not sure what his relationship is to the store however.

Last edited by eelpout; 07-08-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page