New Vizio SmartCast TV On-Screen Cloud-Based Interface (coming summer 2017) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 69 Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
New Vizio SmartCast TV On-Screen Cloud-Based Interface (coming summer 2017)

I decided to start this thread in anticipation of the firmware release coming to Vizio SmartCast displays sometime this summer. In late April, Vizio sent out the following press release:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/29/1...pps-chromecast

The 2016 release of SmartCast displays with a tablet remote was revolutionary, but proved to be too confusing or simply didn't meet the needs of many users. Many of us moved away from the tablet by using universal remotes and streamed from our phones. We also saw the release of new streaming devices and gaming consoles, including some with 4K and HDR capabilities. I honestly believe Vizio made an exceptional effort (and likely at great expense) implementing many firmware updates into their SmartCast displays over the past year to support these new devices for their customers.

To this end, I think Vizio now realizes there may be a better way for all of us to enjoy our displays, by creating an on-screen cloud-based interface that takes streaming devices out of the pipeline and allows the power of the engine in our displays to drive the user experience. Let the display "cast to itself". This is a terrific approach because it avoids all of the quirks that many of us seem to have with our streaming devices and builds upon the backbone of the displays.

Advantages
1. No native apps loaded on the display, which to me seems like something as simple as an app icon with a URL embedded.
2. No streaming device required (this assumes a substantial number of "app developers" get on board with this interface).
3. Simpler user interface, especially for customers with families who have sometimes struggled to understand the complexities of these displays.
4. Better user experience for Live TV customers using Sling, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, etc. This goes back to no streaming device required, since it takes away the quirks we all have with these devices.
5. No proprietary operating system like those used in "Smart TV's", so the interface remains relevant for the foreseeable future.

Problems with Streaming Devices
I have used the following streaming devices with my Vizio display and they all have their shortcomings. We all have had cabling and connection issues, buffering, hardware failures, broken apps, or just the nuisance of having to rely on another device for streaming video.
1. AppleTV Gen 4: Does not support 4K or HDR, limited apps, expensive, plus I just hate everything that is Apple.
2. Roku Ultra: Terrible user interface, many very poorly designed apps, some initial handshake issues, no Dolby Vision support.
3. Nvidia Shield: Great gaming console but not a good choice for streaming, limited HDR support, expensive, very limited Android TV apps and some apps are always broken.

I realize there may be some growing pains with this new interface, but the potential for success seems like a no-brainer to me. There are a lot of unanswered questions and only speculation for now. As we move forward and the firmware is released to us, I would like this thread to serve as a means to voice our likes and dislikes as well to Vizio. I think Vizio has learned from some of the shortcomings of the past year and is working on a new directive that benefits all of us. Let me know your thoughts.....
yanks1 and AMRivlin like this.

Display: Vizio M65-D0 4K/HDR
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K 4K/HDR Pass-Thru
Media Player: AT&T DirecTV Now Beta Streaming Box
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700 and Harmony Hub
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Maybe Vizio can elaborate on a release date.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 69 Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
Maybe Vizio can elaborate on a release date.

They have summer of 2017. Vizio releases updates in waves then makes it available for anyone that was missed during the waves. Summer of 2017 is better than coming soon at least there is a time frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 07-02-2017, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

FW 3.3.16.1 Update details
This is BETA software. As you will see below, there are several bugs and one HUGE surprise - Amazon! This is the first pass with the on-screen apps, so not everything is there, and not everything works or in some cases partially works. If you are not in the beta program, you probably won't be able to download, and that's probably for the better until there's another rev or two.

From Matt McRae - Vizio's CTO

New Test Firmware
We are enabling SW version 3.3.16.1 for those of you on the early test code group. This release is a big one so bear with me as I run through the features, fixes, and known issues.

The most significant portion of this release in our SmartCast TV user experience! You are the first to use this outside of the company. For those of you with our XRT135 remote control or a VIZIO compatible IR remote you can access this feature by switching inputs to “SmartCast”. You will initially be prompted to get an IR remote… just press a direction key like up to dismiss this… the information in this dialog won’t be relevant or functional until we release final code (for this of you without our XRT135 remote - please email [email protected] with your serial number that is in our beta group and we will get one shipped out to you for free to say thank you for testing).

Once in the SmartCast TV experience you will be able to navigate content and apps as you would expect. If you navigate up to the top header and go up one more time you will see a new menu drop down that includes “Support” which houses a new section containing support videos and content.

PLEASE NOTE: the apps and functionality in SmartCast TV are test versions. You may run into issues as we continue to refine up until the full final release. Please don’t contact those app providers with bug reports as most issues are known and we are working on them. They have been very supportive of us releasing this code to the group here.

Couple of things you will notice:
1. Some apps will present audio no video - i.e. Xumo
2. Crackle playback or launch can be inconsistent
3. Play/pause doesn’t control the cast stream
4. Some state or UX issues

You will also see Amazon Video! Been hard to keep this quiet… in fact this is not yet publicly announced :-) UHD streams are not enabled on some specific models as we work through final certifications with Amazon but it is a huge addition I know many were looking for… enjoy!

You will also see a VERY simple USB media playback app.

Other changes include:
- Support for 50hz/100hz (officially this time)
- Fix for Xbox 5.1 audio output
- Better PQ and algorithms for HDR10 sources
- Fixes for color calibration tests
- CEC enhancements
- Numerous improvements/adjustments to UI

Thank you for your patience as the team worked over the last 6 months to bring this functionality to our platform. We appreciate you testing this code and reporting issues. I’ll be sporadically jumping on the forum and checking DMs throughout the coming weeks.

Thank you for being a VIZIO customer. Have a great Holiday Weekend!

Matt

post #5 of 69 Old 07-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Was a pleasant surprise this morning and I have been playing with it for a couple hours.

Everything seems to work great. Navigation, speed is all very nice.

As was made note of, play/pause is a little finicky, but wasn't all that bad.

Saw the note about amazon hdr, but haven't seen hdr on any of the streams. However, Netflix was the only source that I knew had hdr content to look for.

Couple comments -
Hoping YouTube is eventually on the home screen.

One thing I liked about the former Vizio casting environment is that I wasn't bombarded with apps and advertisements for subscriptions and content I wasn't interested in. It was clean/simple. Hope there will be options to allow allow some of that. At least let me customize apps that are displayed (and content curated from) and what order they are displayed in.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the ongoing attention to current owners and am so happy with my Vizio P75-c1.
wipfom likes this.

Last edited by bossdrumavs; 07-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
post #6 of 69 Old 07-04-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Thought I'd post the new remote here.

EDIT, and here is latest XRT136 remote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1499195908497.jpg
Views:	6057
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2218401  

Last edited by Jasonn B; 08-07-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #7 of 69 Old 07-06-2017, 09:48 PM

So the beta must have been pushed over the holiday, the menus are now live on my screen.

I am so excited, and at the same time so underwhelmed. Everything I love about the Vizio is still there via casting. Apps just add another yet harder and more cumbersome way to access content.

For example. Netflix, login type each character via a menu, same for all other providers, where with smartcast/chromecast, I have it all up on screen.

Anyway these aren't bugs, just confirming to myself how amazing smart casting is, why people begged for menus, I'll never know.

All that being said, Amazon Prime! What a nice bonus and treat. Even with my gigabit internet, cat5 to the TV, streamed @ 480p of Bosch season 3, hopefully a small buffer gets added on future revisions.

Also a keyboard in the Vizio app might help, or the webauth similar to appletv for login at a minimum.

Looking forward to more features and providers. (MLB, YouTubeTV, DirecTV Now, etc)

Thanks Matt and VizioTeam. (I'll remove photo below if it is NDA)

post #8 of 69 Old 07-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Pros and cons to both ways. Casting is great if you have your phone out and want to use it. Not so great with multiple people in the same house. With a remote only the person with the remote has the power which is a pro and can be a con. Apps on the screen and menus is what majority of the people are used to. Casting takes adjustment but if you can have both options its better than either or. I prefer a remote as I do not want to keep my phone out just to pause/play or navigate. When the phone is out people tend to want to stare at them versus watch tv/movies. Some do and that is why I like roku, physical remote and app based remote. Limited casting type support though. Always wondered why they just did not put chromecast support into the roku. Using the app based roku you can easily put in the information on the phone rather than having to use a physical remote to press each of those keys for passwords (and lets be honest a sign in is usually one time deal, less you change your password).

Quote:
So the beta must have been pushed over the holiday, the menus are now live on my screen.

I am so excited, and at the same time so underwhelmed. Everything I love about the Vizio is still there via casting. Apps just add another yet harder and more cumbersome way to access content.

For example. Netflix, login type each character via a menu, same for all other providers, where with smartcast/chromecast, I have it all up on screen.

Anyway these aren't bugs, just confirming to myself how amazing smart casting is, why people begged for menus, I'll never know.

All that being said, Amazon Prime! What a nice bonus and treat. Even with my gigabit internet, cat5 to the TV, streamed @ 480p of Bosch season 3, hopefully a small buffer gets added on future revisions.

Also a keyboard in the Vizio app might help, or the webauth similar to appletv for login at a minimum.

Looking forward to more features and providers. (MLB, YouTubeTV, DirecTV Now, etc)

Thanks Matt and VizioTeam. (I'll remove photo below if it is NDA)

post #9 of 69 Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I agree. But we (the techy latest and greatest type) are in the minority it seems. The main stream people complained and couldn't understand simple technology, and wanted a remote. I purposely bought this tv for it's smart phone app and LACK of remote needed. But Vizio is too big of a company that needs to appeal to the masses, not a smaller company just dedicate to selling super smart only devices. So, the bigger crowd wins of course. But, I'm just glad the casting and smart app will remain on these sets. I can never, ever go back to typing login info via a remote which is like a death wish now lol.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #10 of 69 Old 07-07-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackthewhip View Post
FW 3.3.16.1 Update details
This is BETA software. As you will see below, there are several bugs and one HUGE surprise - Amazon! This is the first pass with the on-screen apps, so not everything is there, and not everything works or in some cases partially works. If you are not in the beta program, you probably won't be able to download, and that's probably for the better until there's another rev or two.

From Matt McRae - Vizio's CTO

New Test Firmware
We are enabling SW version 3.3.16.1 for those of you on the early test code group. This release is a big one so bear with me as I run through the features, fixes, and known issues.

The most significant portion of this release in our SmartCast TV user experience! You are the first to use this outside of the company. For those of you with our XRT135 remote control or a VIZIO compatible IR remote you can access this feature by switching inputs to “SmartCast”. You will initially be prompted to get an IR remote… just press a direction key like up to dismiss this… the information in this dialog won’t be relevant or functional until we release final code (for this of you without our XRT135 remote - please email [email protected] with your serial number that is in our beta group and we will get one shipped out to you for free to say thank you for testing).

Once in the SmartCast TV experience you will be able to navigate content and apps as you would expect. If you navigate up to the top header and go up one more time you will see a new menu drop down that includes “Support” which houses a new section containing support videos and content.

PLEASE NOTE: the apps and functionality in SmartCast TV are test versions. You may run into issues as we continue to refine up until the full final release. Please don’t contact those app providers with bug reports as most issues are known and we are working on them. They have been very supportive of us releasing this code to the group here.

Couple of things you will notice:
1. Some apps will present audio no video - i.e. Xumo
2. Crackle playback or launch can be inconsistent
3. Play/pause doesn’t control the cast stream
4. Some state or UX issues

You will also see Amazon Video! Been hard to keep this quiet… in fact this is not yet publicly announced :-) UHD streams are not enabled on some specific models as we work through final certifications with Amazon but it is a huge addition I know many were looking for… enjoy!

You will also see a VERY simple USB media playback app.

Other changes include:
- Support for 50hz/100hz (officially this time)
- Fix for Xbox 5.1 audio output
- Better PQ and algorithms for HDR10 sources
- Fixes for color calibration tests
- CEC enhancements
- Numerous improvements/adjustments to UI

Thank you for your patience as the team worked over the last 6 months to bring this functionality to our platform. We appreciate you testing this code and reporting issues. I’ll be sporadically jumping on the forum and checking DMs throughout the coming weeks.

Thank you for being a VIZIO customer. Have a great Holiday Weekend!

Matt
There is a new iOS version of the Smartcast Mobile app. I assume that the Droid version will be along shortly. This is a HUGE update to the app. You now have a great remote for controlling the TV and the on-screen apps with keyboard content searches, touch cursor controls, playback controls, etc. FANTASTIC!
AMRivlin and Matt McRae like this.
post #11 of 69 Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 PM

Bug report: XRT135 remote under new firmware does not play/pause casted content, as XRT132 (2016 retail remote) does.

danbfree likes this.
post #12 of 69 Old 07-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I updated my tablet smartcast app today, and I agree it is nice so far, though I would prefer an option for buttons to touch to move up and down and left to right to navigate around the screen rather than having to swipe touch pad area of the screen. It would be nice if you could set an option of which way you want it. What I do like about it is the full scree TV controls that let you easily select your source without having to scroll through them on the screen like you do with the new small remote. Oh, it would be nice if you could configure the screen and add buttons for favorite apps, like Netflix, Amazon.....Like some Vizio remotes have.
AMRivlin and theboomr like this.
post #13 of 69 Old 07-15-2017, 12:39 AM

Presently Amazon app is not presenting in 4k. 1080p is best I can get.

Please allow the Chromecast screen to be the default. I don't like the smartcast apps being the main screen.

I'd also like to edit the apps

wipfom and theboomr like this.
post #14 of 69 Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Vizio XRT136 Remote

See the following links for the new SmartCast remote which will be available soon from Vizio:

http://cdn.vizio.com/misc/QuickStart...t_20170629.pdf

sonoftumble likes this.

post #15 of 69 Old 07-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
Bug report: XRT135 remote under new firmware does not play/pause casted content, as XRT132 (2016 retail remote) does.

Known issue. Will be fixed in next release. Thanks
post #16 of 69 Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
See the following links for the new SmartCast remote which will be available soon from Vizio:

http://cdn.vizio.com/misc/QuickStart...t_20170629.pdf

https://youtu.be/19h6q8ikogM
Oooohhhhh, that's pretty exciting! I am truly amazed at how much my Vizio P65-1 has evolved since I purchased it in May of last year.
yanks1 likes this.
post #17 of 69 Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

@Matt McRae
I signed up as a beta tester this week and got the firmware update today. Thanks Matt for expediting this. Everything updated fine with no glitches like some have reported. The new interface is awesome and works great with my Harmony remote. I already had an activity set up for the remote so testing was easy. The only change I had to make was to the Digital Audio Out setting on the Vizio display, which I set to Bitstream. Now the audio is processing through my AVR as it should. The picture quality looks even better than it did before the update.

My initial impressions of the interface are very positive. The navigation works very well and is easy to use. For Nvidia Shield users, this already looks somewhat familiar. I realize there is still much work to be done, so I will make some suggestions:

1. More "apps" need to be added when app developers come on board:
*Live Channels (including supported apps).
*Live TV streaming apps (Sling, PS Vue, and DirecTV Now).
*OTA apps (HDHomeRun and Tablo).
2. Add an app sign-on interface that integrates with a user's Google account.
3. Add a new app directly from the remote web server.

Is Vizio working directly with Google to integrate the much anticipated Android TV O into the SmartCast interface? I have heard this update will be available for the Nvidia Shield later this year, so it would be amazing if Vizio was considering the same thing. I could use my Shield for gaming only and use the SmartCast interface for everything else.

post #18 of 69 Old 07-18-2017, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
3.3.18.1 Feedback

Good news on the Smartcast Netflix front. The search function is no longer limited to 20 or 21 thumbnails. For example, when I do a search for "UHD" titles, I now get a list of thumbnails that goes on and on. Same thing when I search for "HDR" - many more titles ( I believe all of the available ) show up. This is much better than before.

Still can't play back any HDR content on Amazon. 4K works fine now.
AMRivlin likes this.
post #19 of 69 Old 07-18-2017, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Question

@Matt McRae
Do you have any bug tracker/jira open to public for reporting bugs?

Last edited by him7403; 07-19-2017 at 01:21 AM.
post #20 of 69 Old 07-21-2017, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

This is the first chance I've had to really use the new interface after the firmware update and initial WOW factor!

1. The startup is very slow for me. It seems to take more than 20 seconds to fully load. I thought this was a CEC handshake issue with my AVR, so I powered everything off and used the Vizio remote to power up the display without the AVR. Same thing, still loads very slowly for me.

2. The banner at the top of the screen seems to lag a bit at times as it changes, which is a bit distracting.

3. I tested all the existing "apps" except Hulu and Vudu, which I don't have accounts for.

4. I was pleased that I didn't get any app crashes or freezes.

5. All apps seem to take a few seconds to load, which is much slower than my Shield.

6. Dolby Vision videos on the Netflix app look awesome.

7. The Amazon app is takes almost 90 seconds to ramp up to 4k.

8. The Crackle app is nice to have since it always crashes on my Shield. Good selection of movies and TV Shows.

9. The iHeart Radio app works fine, however it's not my choice for online music as a prefer Pandora.

10. The Xumo app works fine but it's kind of meh, nothing special and I doubt if I would use it.

11. I didn't seem to run into any navigational or functional issues with any of these apps.

In summary, the overall performance of the interface is my biggest issue. It definitely needs some tweaking to make it snappier. Also, the limited amount of apps is also an issue for me. I will most likely continue to use my Shield until Vizio works out the bugs and adds more features. It's very promising but not quite ready for prime time just yet.
sonoftumble and theboomr like this.

post #21 of 69 Old 07-21-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the first chance I've had to really use the new interface after the firmware update and initial WOW factor!

1. The startup is very slow for me. It seems to take more than 20 seconds to fully load. I thought this was a CEC handshake issue with my AVR, so I powered everything off and used the Vizio remote to power up the display without the AVR. Same thing, still loads very slowly for me.

In summary, the overall performance of the interface is my biggest issue. It definitely needs some tweaking to make it snappier. Also, the limited amount of apps is also an issue for me. I will most likely continue to use my Shield until Vizio works out the bugs and adds more features. It's very promising but not quite ready for prime time just yet.
I hope this is just an issue on your and not what the new firmware is going to do it. My set starts displaying a picture in 4 seconds from off, to ON. THat's what I love about this set. If this is the case, it would be really nice if there was an option to stay on an existing firmware if the update isn't needed for everyone. Literally, my set displays a picture in about 4 seconds, and was even a little quicker before the on screen menu update was added.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #22 of 69 Old 07-23-2017, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

@Matt McRae
Does Vizio have any future plans to upgrade the SmartCast interface with the new Leanback Launcher that Google is currently beta testing for Android TV? I know Google is testing this application with the Nvidia Shield and it seems to be working very well for this hardware platform as reported by some of their beta testers. I don't know if Google uses native apps or if it is possible for Vizio to modify their application with the apps loaded on a remote server for SmartCast. I'm also not sure if there are proprietary software issues that would prevent this from being implemented by Vizio.

I believe this would be an awesome upgrade and has tremendous potential for SmartCast users. It seems to address many of the home screen issues that longtime users of Android TV have criticized Google for. It has always been a somewhat clunky interface with no user customization. It appears Google has been listening and is finally raising the bar. I realize that Google likely has their own intentions for steering content to consumers that tends to benefit Google, but that's to be expected. I'm sure Vizio makes these same considerations as well for their own software development. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

post #23 of 69 Old 07-23-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Good news on the Smartcast Netflix front. The search function is no longer limited to 20 or 21 thumbnails. For example, when I do a search for "UHD" titles, I now get a list of thumbnails that goes on and on. Same thing when I search for "HDR" - many more titles ( I believe all of the available ) show up. This is much better than before.

Still can't play back any HDR content on Amazon. 4K works fine now.

Is firmware ver. 3.3.18.1 the first non-beta release or is it still beta. If still beta is there any word from Vizio as to when the national release for the new firmware will be pushed out to existing 2017 TVs? Will all series of the Vizio UHD TVs get the new release at about the same time?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-23-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #24 of 69 Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@crackthewhip

Vizio doesn't use Google's OS, it's their proprietary system.
So I have my doubts about them supporting any Android launchers.
Don't forget that Vizio is not running any apps locally from the display. It's casting from the cloud based, HTML 5 interfaced app.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #25 of 69 Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@crackthewhip

Vizio doesn't use Google's OS, it's their proprietary system.
So I have my doubts about them supporting any Android launchers.
Don't forget that Vizio is not running any apps locally from the display. It's casting from the cloud based, HTML 5 interfaced app.
Dude, don't you recognize conjecture and supposition when you read it!! And that's OK, you can certainly have your doubts. And yes I know how the current interface works, but thanks for the reminder anyhow.
Tremaine Wright likes this.

post #26 of 69 Old 07-23-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@crackthewhip

Yes I get what you're saying, but if Vizio wanted built in apps they would've done that by now with the SmartCast UI. I understand hoping for something too, but you also have to be realistic.
My opinions are influenced by being a software developer (my day job is working on a large enterprise software suite), and tinkering some with beginner hardware and firmware stuff. I don't see them redoing the firmware from scratch and going with Android TV. It doesn't really work this way with commercial products such as TVs. Hardware and software are specced way in advance, a lot of work is put down into its fundamentals. Switching the OS to something else close to the end of a products life cycle makes no sense at all and is unlikely to ever happen. Even though I think that the current implementation of the cloud based apps is a great idea Vizio has had, I also have a feeling that software limitations imposed by the OS itself forced their hand to go for this solution. It's much easier, efficient and elegant to basically add a web browser to their system and have their content partners setup custom web based apps than to create an SDK and other developer tools and to get their partners to create apps for an entirely new system.

It's possible that future products will be based on an actual Google OS. But I wouldn't be surprised if next generation displays will continue to build upon this technology further. As I said, I think it's a great and elegant solution.
Casting is a pretty well defined standard by now, and HTML 5 is also a well defined standard. It's easy to imagine how happy the content providers will be when they realize that they only have to maintain a single code-base of their application for Vizio (perhaps even share a bunch of it with their own website code-base), that their app is now product 'agnostic', just like their website is for the PC and any changes or fixes can be published and reach customers in pretty much real time. Mind you, even apps on smartphones take some time to propagate down to users, here a fix is on the web, any time you launch an app on the TV you know that you're using the latest version available at that point in time.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #27 of 69 Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

@The Coolest
Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. I certainly appreciate your experience and knowledge. I was a software developer and programmer for 20 years so I have some IT expertise, although not in consumer electronics. When Vizio announced they would be beta testing their new SmartCast interface (with limited details of course), I suppose I bought into the hype before seeing the actual product. I've always disliked the limitations of "Smart TV" interfaces that many TV manufacturers have used in the past and I was hoping the SmartCast interface would be a huge improvement. I was just anticipating so much more than what we received. Maybe this is unfair to Vizio and my expectations were just unrealistic. I still applaud Vizio for doing this and I hope the initial release is just the start of something bigger for them to build upon. Many owners of SmartCast displays will likely find the new interface very useful and be happy with it.

For now, I eagerly await Google's new launcher and Android TV OS for the Shield. I have always been frustrated with their current UI and this upgrade has been long overdue. I love the Shield and it works great with my Vizio display, so I really can't complain much. I'm just anxious for the new software to be released. I hope I'm not getting too caught up in Google's hype as well, but only time will tell.
Jacksomkesoplenty likes this.

post #28 of 69 Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will Vizio TVs that were bought in 2016 get this update too?
post #29 of 69 Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierh1 View Post
Will Vizio TVs that were bought in 2016 get this update too?
Yep, and you're lucky because this hasn't been the case in previous years.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Last edited by Jasonn B; 08-02-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #30 of 69 Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Yep, and you're lucky.
thanks for the reply but i don't understand the lucky comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page