• 1 Post By The Coolest

post #1 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Vizio 2018 prediction

Hey all,

I'm in a tricky place of deciding to get a 2017 Vizio P whenever it becomes available in stores, or wait until the 2018 version. I have a feeling it may be September before the P is actually in Costco and Best Buy. By that point, I'd be hard pressed to pull the trigger, knowing a complete refresh is not far off. I've waited 12 years for a new TV, I can wait a little longer.

That being said, I'm curious for fun but honest brainstorms on what you'd expect the next P series to have? I wasn't looking for tvs in 2014, so have no clue what the jump from the 2014 P to 2016 P was like. What would you consider bare minimum upgrades in the 2018 version? Thanks for any fun brainstorms you may have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croikee26 View Post
Hey all,

I'm in a tricky place of deciding to get a 2017 Vizio P whenever it becomes available in stores, or wait until the 2018 version. I have a feeling it may be September before the P is actually in Costco and Best Buy. By that point, I'd be hard pressed to pull the trigger, knowing a complete refresh is not far off. I've waited 12 years for a new TV, I can wait a little longer.

That being said, I'm curious for fun but honest brainstorms on what you'd expect the next P series to have? I wasn't looking for tvs in 2014, so have no clue what the jump from the 2014 P to 2016 P was like. What would you consider bare minimum upgrades in the 2018 version? Thanks for any fun brainstorms you may have!
No one will know until details are announced! We can guess all day what it may have, but no official answer until release.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tondeezy99 View Post
No one will know until details are announced! We can guess all day what it may have, but no official answer until release.
I bet you're a blast at parties...
farzad, Croikee26, THX1720 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondeezy99 View Post
Right, thanks, I get that. I'm simply curious about hopes and expectations. Meaning, when unveiled, what specs/features would cause you to be excited vs disappointed?

In looking up specs for the 2014 P, the 2017 seems to be a pretty big jump in quality, at least per rtings.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
We can probably expect to see hdmi2.1, more dimming zones, better FALD implementation, higher peak brightness, and a wider color gamut.

The current P series is much better than that of 2014!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I predict they'll have TVs. They might even have a stand included.
kensingtonwick and seggers like this.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagrad03 View Post
I bet you're a blast at parties...
He's right, though: this thread is entirely pointless. What is the point of sitting here and musing what a TV will include? It'll be released with the specs that it has, and that's that. It'd be different if this were a thread started by someone working at Vizio that was curious about what features the 2018 P-series should have, which it isn't.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of parties you go to, but I've never been to one that is as boring as to start discussing what specs a TV will have in the future. Usually they discuss more practical things, such as why playing Beer Pong with Roombas is so much better than regular Beer Pong.
THX1720 likes this.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Feel free to not comment if this topic bores you, trust that I welcome that choice.

I haven't researched tv tech in twelve years. Perhaps there are people there who have. Perhaps those people have even spotted trends in how much tech tends to, on average over time, improve between model years. That is simply my question.

Clearly this type of topic bores you, so I welcome you to enjoy the rest of these forums, I am sure you can find something you approve of here.
farzad, MCaugusto, THX1720 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I'm wondering same, need new 65" TV for upstairs bonus room to replace 42" plasma. Not thrilled with 2017 models, doesn't seem much different than '16 models. I have a 2016 M series TV (65")

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #10 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The 2018 P will be oled with glasses free 3d. You heard it here first!
THX1720 and Croikee26 like this.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
He's right, though: this thread is entirely pointless. What is the point of sitting here and musing what a TV will include? It'll be released with the specs that it has, and that's that. It'd be different if this were a thread started by someone working at Vizio that was curious about what features the 2018 P-series should have, which it isn't.
Because speculation is fun? Because we're all interested in home theater gear and we're in a down cycle in the year so a topic such as this generates interest? I'm also a huge college football fan, and on the message boards we speculate depth charts, plays in certain situations, coaching moves, etc. Because we have an interest in the topic beyond just consuming what is available.

This thread may be pointless for YOU, but coming here and urinating on what other people find engaging and interesting is likely more pointless. I have no interest in soccer, therefore I don't open threads on the Reddit soccer forum and tell them how pointless their threads are.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure what kind of parties you go to, but I've never been to one that is as boring as to start discussing what specs a TV will have in the future. Usually they discuss more practical things, such as why playing Beer Pong with Roombas is so much better than regular Beer Pong.
You missed the point entirely. I wasn't addressing his lack of willingness to discuss/speculate future TV features at parties, but rather being so rigid that he finds discussing anything requiring imagination an effort in vain.
Ian N, cah95046, THX1720 and 3 others like this.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Because speculation is fun? Because we're all interested in home theater gear and we're in a down cycle in the year so a topic such as this generates interest? I'm also a huge college football fan, and on the message boards we speculate depth charts, plays in certain situations, coaching moves, etc. Because we have an interest in the topic beyond just consuming what is available.

This thread may be pointless for YOU, but coming here and urinating on what other people find engaging and interesting is likely more pointless. I have no interest in soccer, therefore I don't open threads on the Reddit soccer forum and tell them how pointless their threads are.

You missed the point entirely. I wasn't addressing his lack of willingness to discuss/speculate future TV features at parties, but rather being so rigid that he finds discussing anything requiring imagination an effort in vain.

well said,
and im in a similar boat, going to upgrade from a 2015 m series whenever the next p series model comes out. hoping for a 50 inch oled model with 30 to 120hz freesync range lol for $999
Ian N likes this.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM

As to the original question, I'd love to see Vizio improve their scaling a bit. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them move to OLED. The 16/17 P Series is so good, I feel like improvements to it would be incremental at best.

What they really need to improve is their manufacturing and distribution. Not being able to meet the demand is costing them money. And for a company that is cash poor, they can't afford to give sales to Sony/Samsung only for lack of product.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As to the original question, I'd love to see Vizio improve their scaling a bit. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them move to OLED. The 16/17 P Series is so good, I feel like improvements to it would be incremental at best.

What they really need to improve is their manufacturing and distribution. Not being able to meet the demand is costing them money. And for a company that is cash poor, they can't afford to give sales to Sony/Samsung only for lack of product.
Do we think VIzio would have the cash to pay LG for OLED panels, for example? I'm completely ignorant in this area. I'm assuming VIzio makes their own LCD panels, but realizing that may be totally faulty reasoning. Can you imagine Vizion bringing in a P series OLED 4k HDR at around the price point of the P series when it first came out in 2016? That feels like another industry changer. I just don't know if the numbers add up, but what an interesting thought.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The 16-17 P is already on the cusp of top-tier LCD performance from a screen/PQ perspective. I'd agree w/ the poster above who said a refresh will bring higher peak luminance, wider color gamut, and maybe more dimming zones, to keep pace w/ competitors. Likely not a quantum leap, as it's already currently superior to anything short of a Sony X930E. LG (non-OLED) and Samsung need not even apply at this point.

I think UI/Smart features will bring bigger changes. The tablet casting UI was a big experiment for 2016, and doesn't seem to have panned out. I suspect the 2017 built-in apps are somewhat of a stopgap, but are probably a good preview for what 2018 will bring. Along with a beefed up SoC, with the TVs designed to have built-in apps and smart features to being with. With TCL nipping at their heels, partnered up with (excellent) Roku, they really need to not 'miss' this time around on smart features and streaming functions.

Vizio doesn't make their own LCD panels, and noone makes their own OLED panels (except LG, of course), so I'm going to go with a "no" on that front. If/when a Vizio OLED happens, I'll be shocked if they don't launch it as a brand new 'Series" all by itself.

Last edited by WRXpilot; 07-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
I think the big new feature will be Hybrid Log Gamma(HLG). My camera(Panasonic GH5) is getting an update in a few weeks to shoot 10 BIT 4:2:2 HLG 4K @ 30 FPS with 400 mb/sec bit rate. HLG will end up being the future of broadcast HDR I believe. HDR10 is fine when you are only mastering for HDR. HLG allows you to master for SDR and HDR simultaneously.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I think the big new feature will be Hybrid Log Gamma(HLG). My camera(Panasonic GH5) is getting an update in a few weeks to shoot 10 BIT 4:2:2 HLG 4K @ 30 FPS with 400 mb/sec bit rate. HLG will end up being the future of broadcast HDR I believe. HDR10 is fine when you are only mastering for HDR. HLG allows you to master for SDR and HDR simultaneously.
Can HGL be built in with a firmware update? Or does that have to be built in from a hardware perspective?
post #18 of 30 Old 07-26-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
It's an interesting subject to discuss. I'm of the opinion that wider color gamut is not necessarily a good thing.
I don't see much discussion on a pretty large issue with QD LCDs and OLEDs, which is the problem of metameric failure. To make a displays color gamut wider requires higher precision primaries (narrower spectral signatures).
Human vision differs from person to person, the way our eyes see and recognize color also differs slightly from person to person. When primaries get narrower, you can produce a display with wider color gamut. And you can calibrate a display like that to your heart's content, but if you get a group of people to look at such a display, it's very likely that many will not see colors the same way as others.
I recommend you run a search on metameric failure, it's an interesting subject.

So I am wondering whether we'll get QD displays next year for wider color gamut in the name of "specs" or keep the wider than normal gamut we have right now using LEDs with phosphor coating. Or perhaps something new to allow both wider gamut without compromising on perceptual color accuracy (hopeful thinking)

I would be surprised if Vizio went with an OLED. The only manufacturer right now is LG, and OLED panels are still prohibitively expensive.
I'm hoping for more LED zones. Panasonic had 512 zones with their DX900 model released last year, and I think it would be great if we got around the 500 zone mark in the 2018 P series.
Obviously I hope to see the 1000 nit barrier be finally broken with the 2018 P series. More zones should lessen the effects of blooming, which in turn would allow higher nits.

Depending on when the new P series launches, I'm not sure if we'll have HDMI 2.1 built in, but maybe the hardware will be mostly in place and a FW upgrade would be possible. Of course getting HDMI 2.1 support out of the box would be great.
cah95046 likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #19 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Can HGL be built in with a firmware update? Or does that have to be built in from a hardware perspective?
At this time it is unknown whether it can be added with firmware. It may be possible with some TVs. For example: Samsung has said their 2016 TVs will support it after an update. However, Vizio may not be able to add it to their older TVs. We will just have to wait and see.

In the future it is likely that you will be able to buy a converter that will convert HLG to HDR10. I would guess that this functionality will be built into Receivers much like upscaling is built into them now and advertised as a "Feature".
post #20 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

This is wishful thinking and totally coming from a selfish place due to no in-store availability of the P-Series, at least near where I live. It would rock if Vizio announced their 2018 earlier than expected, beat the other companies to the punch, and release early 2018. March 2018 seems so far away.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Hey all,

The 2017 P is the exact same hardware as the 2016 P. Since they haven't stopped making them, there should be good availability of "2017" models.

My crystal ball says that the 2018 M series will get their FALD zones back up to the 2016 levels, 120Hz panels ( for HDMI 2.1 ), and still offer WCG. The 2018 P gets more FALD zones better low res and motion processing.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
The 2017 P is the exact same hardware as the 2016 P. Since they haven't stopped making them, there should be good availability of "2017" models.

My crystal ball says that the 2018 M series will get their FALD zones back up to the 2016 levels, 120Hz panels ( for HDMI 2.1 ), and still offer WCG. The 2018 P gets more FALD zones better low res and motion processing.
I should specify, got my threads confused. In the XLED announcement thread there is discussion of how, at least in Washington State, there are no P series anywhere (at least that I have visited and called). The P series is not on Costco or Best Buy's site either. For someone who wants to buy from a physical location and is hoping to do so from Costco, this is a minor annoyance.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Higher peak/windowed brightness, WCG closer to dp3(whatever its called) 100% coverage, hdmi 2.1 for better variable refresh rate and future 4k 120fps pc gaming, and lower lag on hdmi 2.1 port than current 43ms for hdmi 2.0a ports on current vizio p series. Make It the #1 gaming tv for consoles and pc bar none...
post #24 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
I should specify, got my threads confused. In the XLED announcement thread there is discussion of how, at least in Washington State, there are no P series anywhere (at least that I have visited and called). The P series is not on Costco or Best Buy's site either. For someone who wants to buy from a physical location and is hoping to do so from Costco, this is a minor annoyance.
I think you may start to see them soon. That's just my guess since the beta firmware now seems to have gone national.

https://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-C...100369673.html
post #25 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 106
How about they use 120hz on their smallest set. Think of the people using it as monitors!
post #26 of 30 Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I think the trend in 2018 will be larger more affordable TV.

I expect we will see an M or P series 85" screen from Vizio.

I think I would have bought one of their screens already if they had more zones in their 80" screen.

Fingers crossed.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
post #27 of 30 Old 12-06-2017, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I predict the following:

- HDMI 2.1 support (specifically VRR and perhaps eARC)
- Lower input lag for HDR sources (they currently have a super low input lag port, but it doesn't support HDR)
- Same number of dimming zones on P Series (they have spent 2 years fine-tuning this, makes sense to re-use the algorithms)
- Expanded coverage of color space (perhaps quantum dot technology on P Series)
- Higher peak brightness
- HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HDR10+ support
- Dark gray or black design on P Series (which are currently silver only)
- Thinner, more sleek/premium-looking design on P Series
- Larger size availability (perhaps 80 in P Series and 85 in M Series)

I hope I'm wrong about the dimming zones and they add more for the P Series based on the Reference Series work...

Last edited by EE_AV; 01-10-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 2018 Vizio P-Series for September?

Assuming September 2018 then?...
post #29 of 30 Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
White line free please.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hopefully a black bezel again .. while I don't mind it my wife won't let me get one due to it being silver/metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page