Vizio P55 owners....question about IPS panel. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By the7mcs
  • 1 Post By audacious nick
  • 1 Post By tondeezy99
  • 1 Post By Furyus
  • 1 Post By tondeezy99
  • 1 Post By Furyus

post #1 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Vizio P55 owners....question about IPS panel.

Hello Vizio owners. My 2004 Samsung DLP is on the way out, and since the 55" KS8000 is outside my budget, I'm strongly leaning towards the P55-C1, or P55-E1. I know the 55" is the only one with an IPS panel, and I've read both arguments on that, and it can make a person's head spin, haha. I know there isn't a perfect answer, but my situation is such that my wife and I don't watch the tv from dead center......we probably sit maybe 20 degrees off center, to either side of center, FWIW.And our main watching is just general tv watching, and it's a bright room, without the blinds drawn.

All that said, because I really don't want to go up from 50", and 65" is outside my budget....how "bad" is an IPS panel, and does anything think I'd notice the drawbacks, especially coming from a 2004 HLP5063, to this?

Just curious what the opinions of actual owners think.

Greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by soulweeper; 07-29-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweeper View Post
Hello Vizio owners. My 2004 Samsung DLP is on the way out, and since the 55" KS8000 is outside my budget, I'm strongly leaning towards the P55-C1, or P55-E1. I know the 55" is the only one with an IPS panel, and I've read both arguments on that, and it can make a person's head spin, haha. I know there isn't a perfect answer, but my situation is such that my wife and I don't watch the tv from dead center, and our main watching is just genearl tv watching, and it's a bright room, without the blinds drawn.

All that said, because I really don't want to go up from 50", and 65" is outside my budget....how "bad" is an IPS panel, and does anything think I'd notice the drawbacks, especially coming from a 2004 HLP5063, to this?

I'd say definitely get the Vizio P55, yes it's an IPS panel BUT it also has FALD implemented so it's an interesting combo where you get as close to best of both worlds as you can.
swarm87 and soulweeper like this.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
I'd say definitely get the Vizio P55, yes it's an IPS panel BUT it also has FALD implemented so it's an interesting combo where you get as close to best of both worlds as you can.
That's kind of what I figured, and was just about to order it, but then read some review again, which led to the IPS panel argument, and some people feel like it's horrible, as far as blacks and contrast, and others don't. It made me hesitant. I know the solution might be to get the 50", with the VA panel, but who's to say that's "better." Plus, I've had a 50" for 13 years, time to go up a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
That's kind of what I figured, and was just about to order it, but then read some review again, which led to the IPS panel argument, and some people feel like it's horrible, as far as blacks and contrast, and others don't. It made me hesitant. I know the solution might be to get the 50", with the VA panel, but who's to say that's "better." Plus, I've had a 50" for 13 years, time to go up a little.
Bold text is specifically applicable to your situation, the rest is FYI.

Here's how it goes down: IPS is good for off-center viewing, much better than VA, there is no getting around that. You can also consider OLED, because they also do a great job of maintaining great off-center viewing, but you do not sacrifice the black levels. You do, however, spend more for it.
That being said, no amount of FALD changes the fact that IPS has terrible contrast. The only ones that seem to argue this are P55 owners that want to delude themselves, and others, that it's okay. Which I think is pretty crappy of them, because I've seen the difference: it's pretty noticeable; the blacks are significantly better on the P65 (instead of being a dark grayish). They can pretend and pretend and pretend that it's not, but that would be like me saying that my old KS8000 had identical light control to my P65 or my OLED: it's obviously BS.
This being said, if you're watching in a bright room, that's probably not an issue that you're going to notice, because the bright light disguises it. Bias lighting will also disguise it to some degree, if you do watch movies in the dark.

Basically, it sounds like the P55 IPS is the TV for you, what with your off-center viewing and bright room.
soulweeper likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@soulweeper

If you want a VA panel, you can also consider the 2017 M55 and the TCL P605 or P607.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #6 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
Bold text is specifically applicable to your situation, the rest is FYI.

Here's how it goes down: IPS is good for off-center viewing, much better than VA, there is no getting around that. You can also consider OLED, because they also do a great job of maintaining great off-center viewing, but you do not sacrifice the black levels. You do, however, spend more for it.
That being said, no amount of FALD changes the fact that IPS has terrible contrast. The only ones that seem to argue this are P55 owners that want to delude themselves, and others, that it's okay. Which I think is pretty crappy of them, because I've seen the difference: it's pretty noticeable; the blacks are significantly better on the P65 (instead of being a dark grayish). They can pretend and pretend and pretend that it's not, but that would be like me saying that my old KS8000 had identical light control to my P65 or my OLED: it's obviously BS.
This being said, if you're watching in a bright room, that's probably not an issue that you're going to notice, because the bright light disguises it. Bias lighting will also disguise it to some degree, if you do watch movies in the dark.

Basically, it sounds like the P55 IPS is the TV for you, what with your off-center viewing and bright room.
@audacious nick

I appreciate your reply as well. To keep it simple:

Can't afford OLED at the moment, or I wouldn't even have posted my question, haha. I saw one at my local store.....beyond impressive. Down the road.

I considered the P65, as you said, the blacks are better, and our viewing angle isn't THAT far off center, so it may be negligible. But, it's bigger than we need, plus more than I can comfortably spend.

The room is pretty bright, unless we close the blinds, which we don't always want to do, so to your point about disguising it......I get the impression that it wouldn't be "horrible", if it's not night time, and pitch black in the room. Of course, I haven't seen a P55 next to a P65.

I'm kind of torn.....the P50 would have the better blacks, but I want to go bigger, but the P65 is more than I want to spend. I'll look for a deal.

Couple questions, if you don't mind..... since you owned the KS8000, and that is a set I was strongly considering, except for my budget.....would you say it's a better set than the P55? RTINGS would say it is, and we've had a Samsung a long time, and it's a trusted name.

And also......do you think maybe I'm reading too much into this? I'm going from a 2004 Samsung HLP5063, to possibly the P55, with it's less than great contrast/blacks, and not to discount it or anything, but wouldn't the P55 most likely still blow it away, as far as blacks, contrast, and brightness? I would think it would have to, but maybe I'm wrong. Even though that might sound like I'd be "settling" for the P55, based on that, it's exactly what I don't want to do. But with some of the limitations of the IPS panel, amybe I simply wouldn't notice, with the improvement over the '04 DLP.

And seriously......the input is appreciated.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Hello Vizio owners. My 2004 Samsung DLP is on the way out, and since the 55" KS8000 is outside my budget, I'm strongly leaning towards the P55-C1, or P55-E1. I know the 55" is the only one with an IPS panel, and I've read both arguments on that, and it can make a person's head spin, haha. I know there isn't a perfect answer, but my situation is such that my wife and I don't watch the tv from dead center......we probably sit maybe 20 degrees off center, to either side of center, FWIW.And our main watching is just general tv watching, and it's a bright room, without the blinds drawn.

I have it and I love it! The dimming zones are great! HDR looks great. VA provides slightly darker black levels on this set vs the IPS. I have seen both. However you shouldn't have an issue with the P55. You will love it!
soulweeper likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
@audacious nick

I appreciate your reply as well. To keep it simple:

Can't afford OLED at the moment, or I wouldn't even have posted my question, haha. I saw one at my local store.....beyond impressive. Down the road.

I considered the P65, as you said, the blacks are better, and our viewing angle isn't THAT far off center, so it may be negligible. But, it's bigger than we need, plus more than I can comfortably spend.

The room is pretty bright, unless we close the blinds, which we don't always want to do, so to your point about disguising it......I get the impression that it wouldn't be "horrible", if it's not night time, and pitch black in the room. Of course, I haven't seen a P55 next to a P65.

I'm kind of torn.....the P50 would have the better blacks, but I want to go bigger, but the P65 is more than I want to spend. I'll look for a deal.

Couple questions, if you don't mind..... since you owned the KS8000, and that is a set I was strongly considering, except for my budget.....would you say it's a better set than the P55? RTINGS would say it is, and we've had a Samsung a long time, and it's a trusted name.

And also......do you think maybe I'm reading too much into this? I'm going from a 2004 Samsung HLP5063, to possibly the P55, with it's less than great contrast/blacks, and not to discount it or anything, but wouldn't the P55 most likely still blow it away, as far as blacks, contrast, and brightness? I would think it would have to, but maybe I'm wrong. Even though that might sound like I'd be "settling" for the P55, based on that, it's exactly what I don't want to do. But with some of the limitations of the IPS panel, amybe I simply wouldn't notice, with the improvement over the '04 DLP.

And seriously......the input is appreciated.
Like I said before, IPS has the advantage of off-center viewing and I have never tried viewing a KS8000 at a 20 degree offset. I know there will be some degradation in the picture quality at an angle, so it is hard for me to say that the KS8000 is going to be better in that situation. If we were talking about watching it head-on, I would say it's better.
The advantage that the P-series had over the KS-series was that it had FALD and better light control, while the KS8000 looked more vibrant and was significantly brighter. HDR highlights were tremendously bright in a dark room. You still have the FALD for light control on the IPS, but you give up the dark-dark blacks that the P65 could do for gray "blacks" on the P55. The KS8000 was also capable of dark scenes being black, it just didn't have light control that was nearly as good as the P-series in an otherwise pitch black room. You would get some vertical light columns with text on a dark scene, and it had a little bit of blooming around bright images on a dark scene. The buggy night scene of Grand Tour was a great torture test to show this. During the day, the KS8000 looked inky black because of the VA panel and the excellent motheye anti-glare screen, and you couldn't see the same things that you would see at night in a dark room.
The design of the KS-series is also so much better. The bezels are absolutely tiny, while the P-series has these giant silver bezels that forever made me feel like it was cheap. Especially when you consider that they were both from the same year. Even painting them black would have been an upgrade over the silver.

Unless you change your mounting setup to view the TV head-on, I still think you're going to be better off with the P55 (unless you find a steal on the P65. The size difference is very nice, with a 33% increase in viewing area over the 55").

Last edited by audacious nick; 07-29-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Like I said before, IPS has the advantage of off-center viewing and I have never tried viewing a KS8000 at a 20 degree offset. I know there will be some degradation in the picture quality at an angle, so it is hard for me to say that the KS8000 is going to be better in that situation. If we were talking about watching it head-on, I would say it's better.
The advantage that the P-series had over the KS-series was that it had FALD and better light control, while the KS8000 looked more vibrant and was significantly brighter. HDR highlights were tremendously bright in a dark room. You still have the FALD for light control on the IPS, but you give up the dark-dark blacks that the P65 could do for gray "blacks" on the P55. The KS8000 was also capable of dark scenes being black, it just didn't have light control that was nearly as good as the P-series in an otherwise pitch black room. You would get some vertical light columns with text on a dark scene, and it had a little bit of blooming around bright images on a dark scene. The buggy night scene of Grand Tour was a great torture test to show this. During the day, the KS8000 looked inky black because of the VA panel and the excellent motheye anti-glare screen, and you couldn't see the same things that you would see at night in a dark room.
The design of the KS-series is also so much better. The bezels are absolutely tiny, while the P-series has these giant silver bezels that forever made me feel like it was cheap. Especially when you consider that they were both from the same year. Even painting them black would have been an upgrade over the silver.

Unless you change your mounting setup to view the TV head-on, I still think you're going to be better off with the P55 (unless you find a steal on the P65. The size difference is very nice, with a 33% increase in viewing area over the 55").
Thanks man....appreciate the input. I'd go for the 65" in a heartbeat, but my wife is balking at going that much bigger. It's one of those arguments that may not be worth pursuing. I might give it a try, we'll see.

And also......do you think maybe I'm reading too much into this? I'm going from a 2004 Samsung HLP5063, to possibly the P55, with it's less than great contrast/blacks, and not to discount it or anything, but wouldn't the P55 most likely still blow it away, as far as blacks, contrast, and brightness? I would think it would have to, but maybe I'm wrong. Even though that might sound like I'd be "settling" for the P55, based on that, it's exactly what I don't want to do. But with some of the limitations of the IPS panel, maybe I simply wouldn't notice, with the improvement over the '04 DLP.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-29-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man....appreciate the input. I'd go for the 65" in a heartbeat, but my wife is balking at going that much bigger. It's one of those arguments that may not be worth pursuing. I might give it a try, we'll see.

And also......do you think maybe I'm reading too much into this? I'm going from a 2004 Samsung HLP5063, to possibly the P55, with it's less than great contrast/blacks, and not to discount it or anything, but wouldn't the P55 most likely still blow it away, as far as blacks, contrast, and brightness? I would think it would have to, but maybe I'm wrong. Even though that might sound like I'd be "settling" for the P55, based on that, it's exactly what I don't want to do. But with some of the limitations of the IPS panel, maybe I simply wouldn't notice, with the improvement over the '04 DLP.
The p55 will blow the DLP out of the water hands down. Yes, your contrast will be better on the p55. I have seen the VA and IPS panel. I own the P55 due to the size. The FALD works wonderfully. You will be amazed out how dark the IPS can get. I personally feel the colors are more vibrant on the 55 but that could just be me. It's a great set. This isn't like having an LG IPS. The FALD truly does it's job. May not be as dark as the VA can get, but can get close.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:

I don't see gray blacks, the black bars don't perform well without some light, but black in content is black. The last update, has best black performance on the P55-C1.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondeezy99 View Post
The p55 will blow the DLP out of the water hands down. Yes, your contrast will be better on the p55. I have seen the VA and IPS panel. I own the P55 due to the size. The FALD works wonderfully. You will be amazed out how dark the IPS can get. I personally feel the colors are more vibrant on the 55 but that could just be me. It's a great set. This isn't like having an LG IPS. The FALD truly does it's job. May not be as dark as the VA can get, but can get close.
Thank you for your input as well!
@tondeezy99 how is the glare with the screen? If I remember correctly, it has what's called a semi gloss screen. Correct me if I'm wrong. Our current DLP has a matte finish screen. We still have some glare issues with that, but let's face it....unless you make the room almost pitch black, there will be some kind of glare. Seems like the semi gloss screen would enhance that a bit, and this is a pretty bright room, but I'm also betting the P55 is much brighter than out DLP, hence countering some of that. Hopefully. Bottom line is, it still looks better, the darker the room can be...it's still a screen, haha.

Last edited by soulweeper; 07-30-2017 at 12:41 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It can have a good amount of glare depending on the lighting conditions, however I've never found it to be too bad. I just wouldn't turn a light on that may be near the sofa as the reflection would be seen. In normal daylight use it hasn't been much an issue and in the evenings I tend to watch in the dark or with dim lighting.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Vizio P55 owners....question about IPS panel.

Quote:
I went through the same thing with my wife and settled on the P55 in a main floor room with varying viewing angles. I'm glad I did because the IPS panel does well in that situation. In low light the FALD really makes for a good picture. Colors are amazing. No regrets but when my plasma downstairs craps out I'm getting a 65/75!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soulweeper likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+

Last edited by Furyus; 07-30-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Formatting
post #15 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
Quote:
I went through the same thing with my wife and settled on the P55 in a main floor room with varying viewing angles. I'm glad I did because the IPS panel does well in that situation. In low light the FALD really makes for a good picture. Colors are amazing. No regrets but when my plasma downstairs craps out I'm getting a 65/75!

Same here. My wife and I got the P55 due to our previous space. I will love to have a 65 or 75 when we can! Will prob be the new model by then! No regrets as the picture is amazing.
soulweeper likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It can have a good amount of glare depending on the lighting conditions, however I've never found it to be too bad. I just wouldn't turn a light on that may be near the sofa as the reflection would be seen. In normal daylight use it hasn't been much an issue and in the evenings I tend to watch in the dark or with dim lighting.
@tondeezy99
Seems like it's unavoidable. Even the Samsung KS8000 has a semi gloss screen. I imagine the P55 is much brighter than our DLP, so that will help.

I heard the speakers aren't all that great either, and they're rear facing, which I guess is also very common. Our DLP has front facing, right below the screen. I guess sound bars are the norm now, to deal with that?

Oh....mind if I ask.....how is general tv viewing with this set? RTINGS gives it a 7.3, that's why I ask. Again.....I'm sure iyt will be so much better than my current DLP, that all theses little nuances will go right out the window, lol.

Last edited by soulweeper; 07-30-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Just about ready to order the Vizio P55-C1, and watched a couple youtube reviews of the Samsung KS8000, and the talk of how bright they are, and great for bright rooms, and dealing with the screen glare..... really has me rethinking which one to buy, except for the price of the P55 is $500 less, at the moment.Damn it!

Maybe I'm overthinking again. I've never "hated" my DLP, for not being bright enough, or anything else. It is what it is, and I've watched it for 13 years. If the color wheel wasn't on the way out, I wouldn't be in a big hurry. That said, I want to believe the Vizio would blow it away so much, that I wouldn't be concerned if the KS8000 would "excel" in any area....and save $500! I'm a little concerned about it being bright enough.

Last edited by soulweeper; 07-30-2017 at 07:20 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I'm a little concerned about it being bright enough.

I have rarely put the backlight above 80 and my P55 is adjacent to two large windows. My wife can't believe how bright white backgrounds can be. I don't see brightness as an issue.

The screen is reflective. Probably my only complaint. But that's typically only an issue at night with lights behind me.

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+
post #19 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have rarely put the backlight above 80 and my P55 is adjacent to two large windows. My wife can't believe how bright white backgrounds can be. I don't see brightness as an issue.

The screen is reflective. Probably my only complaint. But that's typically only an issue at night with lights behind me.

Thanks. So with daytime viewing, it's bright enough to cut through, so to speak?
post #20 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. So with daytime viewing, it's bright enough to cut through, so to speak?

In my experience yes but the sun isn't shining directly on the screen either.

soulweeper likes this.

post #21 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Haha....gotcha! Sounds like you have it in a fairly bright room, like mine. We don't watch that much during the day, and when we do, we close the blinds most of the time anyway.

Last edited by soulweeper; 07-30-2017 at 10:58 PM.
post #22 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Same! Looks great at night though!
post #23 of 27 Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

@tondeezy99 and/or @Furyus .....RTINGS gives this a 7.3 for tv shows, FWIW. Again.....I know this will probably be dramatically better and sharper, and in every other way, than my old DLP, but how would either of you rate this for tv shows? That's most of what we watch, is why I ask. Just curious.
post #24 of 27 Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Just sold my p65 c1 and got a used ks8000. While blacks may not be as black as on p65, but ks8000 has so much more going for it. The design, tizen os with built in apps, remote, external connect box. Ks8000 is a winner by far if you can find one for a decent price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 27 Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
Just sold my p65 c1 and got a used ks8000. While blacks may not be as black as on p65, but ks8000 has so much more going for it. The design, tizen os with built in apps, remote, external connect box. Ks8000 is a winner by far if you can find one for a decent price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I can't find one for a decent price. $1500 is the cheapest, and don't want to spend that much. Don't want used either....no warranty. That's just me though.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know how the Samsung 55" MU8000 is? It's the "newer" version, but according to RTINGS, the Vizio P55-C1 is still a slightly better set, and it's not that way with the KS8000.

Just curious.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Family main setup:
Pioneer Elite SC LX502/BDP Pioneer Elite 85FD/Logitech Touch
Pioneer Elite N50/Cassette Pioneer M66R/
Panamax M5300 EX/TV Vizo UHD P55-E1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement