Value For A Sharp Elite 60" Pro-60x5fd - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By audacious nick

post #1 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Question Value For A Sharp Elite 60" Pro-60x5fd

Hello AVS!

Long time no see! Great to be back! I have a question for all you lovely LCD loving folks.

As the title says, I'm considering getting a used Sharp Elite 60 Inch TV. The owner says the set as a low amount of hours. Being that the tv was built back in 2008 I'm wondering what it's current value would be today? I don't want to rip the guy off. I'd just like what others would consider to be a fair price today. I'm aware it was unbelievably expensive back in it's prime but I also feel by todays standards it wouldn't be worth much?

So what would one pay? Just trying to get a tv for cheap as my kids just broke my old yet beautiful Panny plasma

Thanks for the advice in advanced!

Juke

tv was built back in 2011 not 2008. TY for the correction

Last edited by JukeBox360; 08-03-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I'd pay $100-200, max. Anything more than that and I'd be looking at either a sale on a D-series TV or buy a used 2015 or 2016 4K TV, which you should be able to get in the $400 range. Or a new TCL 55" P-series for around $550-600, depending on the sale.
zpatter1 likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Really? That cheap? I figured it would be a little higher being the cost and quality of the tv before. Anything I should say to him to maybe have him consider such a low price? He was asking 550.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'd offer $250-$300, based on inspection of the unit. And the Sharp Elite LCDs were released in 2011, not 2008.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse88 View Post
I'd offer $250-$300, based on inspection of the unit. And the Sharp Elite LCDs were released in 2011, not 2008.
Idk why I thought 2008. I suppose I looked up the wrong TV or read something about the KURO.

Any way based on inspection of the unit the tv looks flawless. He had it Wal mounted at his office. He also said the set should have pretty low hours on it because of it being there vs home. I imagine there might even be a way to check it. Everything looks great thought.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-03-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post
Really? That cheap? I figured it would be a little higher being the cost and quality of the tv before. Anything I should say to him to maybe have him consider such a low price? He was asking 550.
You can buy a TCL P-series for that much, which is vastly superior to that TV in every way other than the 5" you lose. Even at $250-350, you should be able to find good deals on something like a 2015 Vizio M60, which is also superior to that TV. Or this, https://slickdeals.net/f/10426208-re...earchBarV2Algo

Anything above $200 is a rip-off for such an old TV, in my opinion. With 4K and HDR offerings on new TVs, along with a plethora of budget-models that are still superior to the older ones, a 2011 model is ancient history and should be priced as such. We are not talking about a desirable KURO plasma, it's just some old LCD.

Look at how many deals there are in the $350ish range on modern TVs:
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...B%5D=8&v=2&r=1
post #7 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
You can buy a TCL P-series for that much, which is vastly superior to that TV in every way other than the 5" you lose. Even at $250-350, you should be able to find good deals on something like a 2015 Vizio M60, which is also superior to that TV. Or this, https://slickdeals.net/f/10426208-re...earchBarV2Algo

Anything above $200 is a rip-off for such an old TV, in my opinion. With 4K and HDR offerings on new TVs, along with a plethora of budget-models that are still superior to the older ones, a 2011 model is ancient history and should be priced as such. We are not talking about a desirable KURO plasma, it's just some old LCD.

I was thinking from a picture quality standpoint the TV might be worth a bit more. I don't wanna offend the guy with such a low price. But if you guys think it isn't worth over 200 I'll go for that. The most I'll try is $250.

If He thinks it's to little I guess I can just walk away
post #8 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
The Sharp Elite was not just "some old LCD". It had its share of issues, especially with regards to color saturation tracking, but it was the best LCD ever made at the time it came out. Yes, it's six years old, but for a premium FALD set with 300 zones and excellent video processing, it's definitely worth more than $200.

Quote:

post #9 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
The Sharp Elite was not just "some old LCD". It had its share of issues, especially with regards to color saturation tracking, but it was the best LCD ever made at the time it came out. Yes, it's six years old, but for a premium FALD set with 300 zones and excellent video processing, it's definitely worth more than $200.
I didn't even know my 70" was a FALD with 300 zones lol..as I only started showing an interest in this technology since May :-). I just knew I loved the picture back then as it was so much better than everything in the store at the time. At least now I know that I can try to sell it for $500 if he gets between 200-300 for the 60" :-) lol.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I don't want to muck up the forum with a bunch of "how much" threads, but I had been thinking about asking how much older TVs can be sold for.

I have a Sony 60EX500 which gets a nice picture, and was bought for a pretty penny back in the day, but I'm guessing I wouldn't get more than $250 for it. Does that sound about right?

Unfortunately I can't justify spending $3000+ for a 4K yet, even though I REEEEAALLLY want one, lol!
post #11 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Nope. It's an old LCD with inferior brightness, lag, and resolution. I can acknowledge that it was an excellent TV at the time, and for the following several years, but not anymore. Think of it this way: it's like a 1970s Rolls Royce versus a modern Camry: the Rolls-Royce may have been nicer back in the day, and it's still a nice vehicle, but it doesn't hold a candle to the technology advances. And, like the old Rolls-Royce, it doesn't command a premium. That's why you can pick up an older Rolls Royce for relatively cheap, too.
In a time where budget models like the TCL have enough zones, 4K resolution, and brightness that are likely 5x the brightness of the Elite's, it just doesn't make any sense to waste money on an older LCD. If you want to spend your money on an old LCD like that, go for it, but that doesn't mean it's worth that. It's archaic in this day-and-age, performing like an archaic model, and should be priced as such.

Last edited by audacious nick; 08-04-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Nope. It's an old LCD with inferior brightness, lag, and resolution. I can acknowledge that it was an excellent TV at the time, and for the following several years, but not anymore. Think of it this way: it's like a 1970s Rolls Royce versus a modern Camry: the Rolls-Royce may have been nicer back in the day, and it's still a nice vehicle, but it doesn't hold a candle to the technology advances. And, like the old Rolls-Royce, it doesn't command a premium. That's why you can pick up an older Rolls Royce for relatively cheap, too.
In a time where budget models like the TCL have enough zones, 4K resolution, and brightness that are likely 5x the brightness of the Elite's, it just doesn't make any sense to waste money on an older LCD. If you want to spend your money on an old LCD like that, go for it, but that doesn't mean it's worth that. It's archaic in this day-and-age, performing like an archaic model, and should be priced as such.
Sharp Elite was a very bright tv, i think it reached nearly 1000 nits. Still an excellent tv for SDR content, better than TCL.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So all in all. What would you say is a fair price? An led set with 300 dimming zones? Has any tv ever come anywhere close to this? I feel like old or not. This sets PQ should be amazing. So I'm trying to give the guy a fair price without me overpaying.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked: 6011
Quote:
So all in all. What would you say is a fair price? An led set with 300 dimming zones? Has any tv ever come anywhere close to this? I feel like old or not. This sets PQ should be amazing. So I'm trying to give the guy a fair price without me overpaying.

The fair price is the one you are willing to pay. As it's been said while it is/was a great TV it is "a few" years behind the tech curve. It's also "used" so you won't get a warranty if anything should go wrong. While none of the previous choices will give you 300 zone FALD, they will/can give you FALD as well as 4K HDR (not to mention at minimum a manufacturer warranty. In the end we can't make the choice for you. You should go check it out, if you like it, make what you think is a fair offer and take it home
post #15 of 15 Old 08-05-2017, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Run far away from this deal. The set isnt worth anything. Yes it was great during its time, but not only is it not that great compared to current budget 4k hdr sets with wide color gamuts and 4x the resolution, its a liability. The Sharp Elite is riddled with reliability issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page