For those that upgraded in screen size - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ikari Warrior

post #1 of 3 Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For those that upgraded in screen size

did you notice a drop in picture quality?

I have an older 55" Samsung, I believe the model # is A950. At the time of purchase, it was highly regarded.
I would like to up grade to a 75" or 78". I have Dish Network & an antenna for locals.

Would I notice a degraded picture quality with this change in size?

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I would say that at first there would be a perceived difference on sharpness on the larger screen, especially if the two sets were side by side. Things will always appear sharper on a smaller screen, something will look super sharp on a 5” phone screen but softer on a 100” projection screen. However you will quickly adjust to the look of the newer screen size, and then the benefits of the new screen will take effect. Viewing the larger size will allow you to perceive fine details that you weren’t able to resolve on the smaller screen, like fabric patterns in clothing and fine facial details. Also the advantages of the newer technologies like deeper black levels, wider color gamuts, and HDR on newer sets should vastly improve the image quality over your older set. Once you get adjusted to the newer set going back to the old Samsung might surprise you with how much things have changed in a short period of time, it’s the best time ever for flat panel TVs!
pilotart and lucacow like this.

Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #3 of 3 Old 08-08-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
@bnewt , I've had the 2014 55" HU8550 for three years.

It was on a fully articulating existing (from 40" Sony) wall mounting located 16" from corner. Due to way the walls are constructed (built-in bookshelf and solid reinforced concrete 'cap beam' across at mid level with vaulted ceiling), this is only practical location in this room.

When I saw the 66% off 'msrp' on the 2015 JS9000 I realized that due to the 'Curve', I could mount a 65" whereas a 55" flat screen had been maximum, (Curve places outer edges over 4" further out from the wall). The main driver for the purchase was discontinuance of 3D beyond 2015 models.

I had a perfect location for the 8550 in the 'office' as a PC Monitor and TV (have antenna and DVR+ for it) and this room could also serve as a 'guest' room. I am now considerably closer (about 3' versus 9' on 65") viewing PC Monitor / TV in that room. You really appreciate 4K on Broadcast Quality from really close up. I have a Dell 21" flat Monitor and had used a 32" Sony 1080P for a video production, but it didn't look as good close up (as Dell Monitor).

It was quite a surprise to notice superior PQ on the 55" over the 65", but time to tweak picture settings on new one should make up most of it. There is no doubt that I did prefer to watch the JS9000 from the start....
Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page