Official Samsung MU8000 Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 08-10-2017, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
Official Samsung MU8000 Owners Thread

I could not find a thread on this set, so figured I start one. My bedroom t.v. and my son had a disagreement and lets say it didn't end well for the tv! I wanted to get a Vizio m series for the bedroom as I've had experience with them this year but BB was out of stock, so I landed on the 65MU8000. So far its not a bad set overall sdr is not bad, hdr could use a lot of help as I believe the local dimming is way too aggressive. Other than that the colors and motion are pretty good and overall great pq for the price. Apologies in advance again if their is another owners thread.
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-12-2017, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hope this gets rolling! Just hooked up a 65MU800D and it looks good, but as you wrote, it could use some tweaking. So far, I've put it in "movie" picture mode and set the backlight brightness at 11. My eyes are as comfortable with it as they are my 65JS850D that moved back to the bedroom. The MU800D seems to have less glare than the JS850D, but I've only been watching about an hour. Hope to read more about settings for this tv!
King Richard likes this.

"You gonna love it to death, baby!"
post #3 of 44 Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmanjohn View Post
I hope this gets rolling! Just hooked up a 65MU800D and it looks good, but as you wrote, it could use some tweaking. So far, I've put it in "movie" picture mode and set the backlight brightness at 11. My eyes are as comfortable with it as they are my 65JS850D that moved back to the bedroom. The MU800D seems to have less glare than the JS850D, but I've only been watching about an hour. Hope to read more about settings for this tv!
The good thing so far is that out of the box the pq looks very decent, as long as you turn off all enhancements. Movie mode is the best looking. HDR is bright but local dimming really needs an update, hopefully samsung can work on it. So far were happy with it.
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Have you tried with a bias light ?Can you still see the issue with some lights on?

The bias light should make the blooming less distracting.
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-12-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #5 of 44 Old 08-12-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Have you tried with a bias light ?Can you still see the issue with some lights on?

The bias light should make the blooming less distracting.
Yeah I think I'm gonna put a small lamp behind the set to help out with it. Overall though were happy with it...its my bedroom tv so we weren't as picky with it. Additionally its not a bad set for the price especially compared to the Q series.
King Richard likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yeah I think I'm gonna put a small lamp behind the set to help out with it. Overall though were happy with it...its my bedroom tv so we weren't as picky with it. Additionally its not a bad set for the price especially compared to the Q series.

Is mainly HDR that exacerbate this ,it should be fine with SDR.

by the way I saw another MU8000 thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...rice-talk.html

Last edited by losservatore; 08-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.
post #7 of 44 Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Is mainly HDR that exacerbate this ,it should be fine with SDR.

by the way I saw another MU8000 thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...rice-talk.html
Oh cool thanks...probably me not using the search button!
post #8 of 44 Old 08-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 350
quick question.

I bought the UN75MU8000f a week ago and it gets delivered in 2 weeks. My wife and I want to know if the Tizen Netflix supports 4K right out the box or with a firmware update or if we have to use a separate device for Netflix or Amazon Prime? We are in Canada and I actually don't see any information on 4K for anything but Youtube from the app on the tv.

We aren't getting a UHD player for some time, but want to experience any and all that we can in 4K.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #9 of 44 Old 08-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

The lack of threads and conversation makes me second guess my purchase... I get my tv on Sept 5th so all my reading and what not isn't going great.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #10 of 44 Old 08-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
quick question.

I bought the UN75MU8000f a week ago and it gets delivered in 2 weeks. My wife and I want to know if the Tizen Netflix supports 4K right out the box or with a firmware update or if we have to use a separate device for Netflix or Amazon Prime? We are in Canada and I actually don't see any information on 4K for anything but Youtube from the app on the tv.

We aren't getting a UHD player for some time, but want to experience any and all that we can in 4K.

Yes, the built-in apps support 4K.

You have to have Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions and be on their highest 4K plans.

However, there is not very much content available yet on Amazon Prime in Canada.

Richard
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #11 of 44 Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Yes, the built-in apps support 4K.

You have to have Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions and be on their highest 4K plans.

However, there is not very much content available yet on Amazon Prime in Canada.

Richard
Perfect. We have the 4k Netflix package already since we have more than 2 users that download content for when we are on the go or at the cottage. Is the an extra subscribtion fee for Amazon prime for 4k?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
King Richard likes this.

post #12 of 44 Old 08-28-2017, 01:48 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Is the an extra subscribtion fee for Amazon prime for 4k?

The Amazon Prime subscription works differently than the Netflix one.

I haven't subscribed to it yet because the amount of content available on Amazon is much less than in the States - plus there is very little UHD (4K) HDR content available for Canadian subscribers at this time.

Since Amazon just launched worldwide earlier this year, hopefully there will be more content coming soon.

Richard
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old 08-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Anyone have any experience with the 82MU8000 ?

That's the one I have my eye on.......

Seems like a great size.....
post #14 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just purchased the 82MU8000 through Costco deal. Initial impressions: very uniform screen, good brightness/contrast with very good black levels. Haven't played around with the settings that much, but the colors seem pretty accurate out of the box. Watching NFL football, motion looked fluid. Streamed Netflix through the smart function, the movie Moana looked colorful, and had depth to it. Don't see light bleed on letterbox movies, or credits. Very pleased with the quality and size to $ price ratio!
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #15 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the 82MU8000 ?

That's the one I have my eye on.......

Seems like a great size.....
A few of us have one in the other MU8000 thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...ce-talk-7.html

Amazing screen, excellent uniformity/brightness and the size is perfect. Very happy with mine.
post #16 of 44 Old 09-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

So... I've now had the tv a full week and it wasn't until last night that I figured out the visual settings that worked the best for my wife and I. Everywhere I looked, for testing and calibration settings, I noticed all the reviewers turned the Auto Motion Plus off and killed the sharpness all the way to 0. Well that resulted in a grainy picture for my cable tv source. While sometimes it would look decent, say watching baseball, the score and any visual words on screen looked a little fuzzy and not very crisp.

My wife decided she wanted to watch the tv for a change (first time really in the past week for her) and she put Bachelor in Paradise on (i know i know i know....) Her comment was, her parents tv which is a 4yr old 65" Sammy looks a lot better than our 2017 4K 75" tv. I told her I've been reading professional reviews and their calibration settings and I set the tv to those. We both played with the settings and we both love Auto Motion Plus and we turned it to custom and turned the sharpness from 10 to 84 and the screen just pops now, just how WE like it. Text is clear and crisp.

I played with the settings later on after she went to bed and watched some 4K movies I have (Hacksaw Ridge, Planet Earth 2, X Men 4K trilogy (First Class, Days of Futures Past and Apocalypse) and turned the sharpness up and OMG A HUGE difference.

I guess everyones eyes are different and people really do have different visual tastes. Some of you may hate Auto Motion Plus and hate the soap opera effect, but I personally love it.

post #17 of 44 Old 09-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone who has the 75" model tell me the distance between the legs of the stand? It is the deciding factor in buying this tv whether or not it will fit on my entertainment center!
post #18 of 44 Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm picking up the 49" version today and the Sony x8000 ultra 4k blu-ray player. I have many items to hook up to it. An Xbox One (original), DirecTV box, PS4 slim, Firestick and a Vizio soundbar. My current setup uses the Xbox for most of my viewing, having the DirecTV plugged directly into the Xbox, the Xbox goes into the HDMI in for the Soundbar, and finally the soundbar to the TV (arc). Because of the ARC setup the TV automatically sends audio to the soundbar. With the 4K, would this type of setup still work with setting up the Sony x8000 ultra blu-ray player, being sent directly to one of the hdmi hub ports and still have the audio go to my soundbar via the ARC setup. The Sony x8000 has a secondary sound only hdmi out, but the port on the soundbar would have the xbox one feeding into it for both the xbox and Directv.

I hope this wasn't too complicated.

Thanks!
post #19 of 44 Old 11-19-2017, 12:32 PM

I'm overall impressed by the TV; however I noticed some situations in which the lower lit portions of the screen will all blur together. This is especially problematic when it is a person's face or hair, giving a plastic look. Is there a certain setting that would be causing this? If need be I can take a picture to show this. Often times it happens during transitions. Can someone help? Thanks!
post #20 of 44 Old 11-26-2017, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Does the UN55MU8000 have an IPS or VA display?

Making a decision versus Vizio P55-E1. Vizio edges it out with Effective Refresh Rate 240hz.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
post #21 of 44 Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The 8000 has a VA panel.
post #22 of 44 Old 12-01-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Exclamation Clouding issue

I have noticed some clouding on the lower left corner of the screen(see attached picture), I thought it was related to the support legs but, I changed the position to the most internal one and that helped a little but its still very annoying and distracting, anyone have the same issue, or think the warranty should apply for this issue, or maybe this is normal on this TV?

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171128_172023.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	2324062  
post #23 of 44 Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I've had an UN65MU8000 for about two weeks and I've loved it, but remarkably just today I discovered a problem. I cannot play audio only from any HDMI source when the TV is off (CD, SACD, etc)! I either have to have the TV on or I have to disable the HDMI output from my Yamaha RX-A3060. I've heard similar issues with Sony TVs which I avoided just for this reason. I went with Samsung because I had a UN60KU6300 that worked fine in this regard. Any ideas? Hoping this can be addressed with a firmware update.

Last edited by whitey019; 12-01-2017 at 08:26 PM.
post #24 of 44 Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepaco1980 View Post
I have noticed some clouding on the lower left corner of the screen(see attached picture), I thought it was related to the support legs but, I changed the position to the most internal one and that helped a little but its still very annoying and distracting, anyone have the same issue, or think the warranty should apply for this issue, or maybe this is normal on this TV?

thanks.
Hi. I have the exact same issue on all four corners on the same TV. You are not going to believe me but I was able to fix it. I can't believe it myself. I've only had the TV for about two weeks and was getting ready to start planning the hassle of exchanging this beast. Anyway to make a long story short I called Samsung tech support today as I thought maybe they could send someone out and replace it under warranty instead of the hassle of re-packing it and getting another one. The support tech asked me to factory reset the TV. I was convinced this was a physical issue with the TV and that the reset would do nothing. I decided to play along and factory reset the TV. Believe it or not those blooms/Clouding at the corners of the screens are gone! I am in disbelief. I'm speculating that maybe there was a glitch with the local dimming? Not sure but I've watched the same content as well as test patterns and as far as I can tell it's gone. My final test is to wait till it gets dark and re-test but I was able to see the issue yesterday during the day and after the reset I can longer see it.
post #25 of 44 Old 12-04-2017, 06:49 AM

Amazon Prime Video - No UHD?

Crossposting from one of the other Samsung MUxxxx threads:

I just took receipt of a UN75MU800D set from Costco and so far, I'm loving it. Finally got to dive in and rework my connections and remote and put the set through its paces. I've been trying to verify UHD/4K sources are working as expected and Netflix appears ok but I'm not seeing the UHD banner on Amazon Prime Video content via the built-in Tizen app. I'm on the latest 1151 firmware. If I browse the Amazon Prime Video selections, I've tried picking known UHD/4K sources like The Grand Tour and my understanding is I need to find the "UHD" tag in the upper right corner to make sure I'm getting an actual 4K source. Now, I've picked the "normal" non-UHD selection and it looks great, almost like it might be 4K for how clear it is but when I press the middle select button on the remote during playback, it says the source is 1080p.

Any thoughts on why Amazon isn't showing me content to select from with the UHD tag?
post #26 of 44 Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepaco1980 View Post

thanks.
Hello. I thought the factory reset had resolved his problem but of course it did not. I tested again in the dark in the evening and it's still there. I'm 100% convinced that this is a defect with the panel. Did you ever resolve this? Luckily I bought mine at Costco. Getting ready to but a new one and return this one I have attached a photo of mine. I have auto dimming off and the screen brightness at the default which is 18.

Can someone confirm that this is NOT normal? Based on the reviews of this TV I'm pretty certain this is not typical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	862.6 KB
ID:	2325452  
post #27 of 44 Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero4 View Post
Hello. I thought the factory reset had resolved his problem but of course it did not. I tested again in the dark in the evening and it's still there. I'm 100% convinced that this is a defect with the panel. Did you ever resolve this? Luckily I bought mine at Costco. Getting ready to but a new one and return this one I have attached a photo of mine. I have auto dimming off and the screen brightness at the default which is 18.

Can someone confirm that this is NOT normal? Based on the reviews of this TV I'm pretty certain this is not typical.
Mine vanished after few days, I think it was related to the pressure of one of the legs, once I balanced it correctly the clouding faded away.

I also massaged it a little bit, and now it shows only the Normal Clouding as shown in Rtings review.

But, Yours is definitively NOT normal, I'd exchange it as soon as possible, and I recommend you the MU9000, or KS8000, since they have better blacks, you can compare them here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

Rgards.
post #28 of 44 Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else get an update in the past week or so and have issues with their "home" screen?

I always use my Logitech Harmony remote but use my TV remote when I want to flip to netflix or YouTube.

Last week, I had a notification saying there was an update, so I downloaded it and I was watching netflix after the update. But then the next day, I was watching regular TV, and decided I wanted to watch netflix and I normally hit the home button on the remote and it brings up the tizen bar at the bottom where I can select a source such as my bd player, pc, my receiver and also my tv apps such as YouTube and netflix. Now I can't get it to work.

Anyone have an idea?

post #29 of 44 Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Anyone else get an update in the past week or so and have issues with their "home" screen?

I always use my Logitech Harmony remote but use my TV remote when I want to flip to netflix or YouTube.

Last week, I had a notification saying there was an update, so I downloaded it and I was watching netflix after the update. But then the next day, I was watching regular TV, and decided I wanted to watch netflix and I normally hit the home button on the remote and it brings up the tizen bar at the bottom where I can select a source such as my bd player, pc, my receiver and also my tv apps such as YouTube and netflix. Now I can't get it to work.

Anyone have an idea?

Did you try and re-pair the remote? Pull the batteries?

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
post #30 of 44 Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
Did you try and re-pair the remote? Pull the batteries?
I pulled and changed the batteries, but nothing changed.

I should say, I can hit info, use the volume buttons. Just the home button doesn't do anything.

But same with the harmony remote as well. It doesn't come up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page