Since the TCL 65P607 has been cancelled, what's your 2nd choice? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-22-2017, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Since the TCL 65P607 has been cancelled, what's your 2nd choice?

I was waiting on the TCL 65P607 to come out to buy a 65" TV. Now that it's been cancelled, I'm a bit at a loss.

Right now I am thinking that Vizio's M65-E0 would be a close substitute.

Any other opinions?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I was waiting on the TCL 65P607 to come out to buy a 65" TV. Now that it's been cancelled, I'm a bit at a loss.

Any other opinions?
I'm waiting for the 2018 TCL and Vizio P. Vizio's is due for a hardware update. Even though TCL didn't get its 55" out until June, the rationale behind cancelling the 65" leaves me to believe they are targeting a spring 2018 release. If they can't do that, then I'll probably go Vizio P.

Both will have HDMI 2.1 and should continue the affordable FALD trend. Also, both brands are already so well positioned on price, they don't see much of a drop around Black Friday. As soon as the better of the two is determined in the spring, there's no reason to delay a purchase any longer.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great question, I am in the same boat. Was waiting for the 65" TCL. TCL has a 65" "C" version, but I think that is a step down from their "P" line if I'm not mistaken.

Am also now considering a Vizio P-E1 since my plasma has three vertical lines going through the middle of the screen.

Was considering:
Sony - but too much $$ - if I were going that route, I would just go ahead and go OLED. Just don't think the Sony is worth almost double the price of the Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Any other opinions?
I missed that piece of news. Why was it cancelled?

Denon X6300 H, 7.2 Infinity IL-40 Towers, Infinity IL-120 Subwoofer, Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s Subwoofer, Infinity IL 36 Center, LG OLED 65B6P, Oppo-203 UHD Player
I can turn it up to "11"
post #5 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post
Great question, I am in the same boat. Was waiting for the 65" TCL. TCL has a 65" "C" version, but I think that is a step down from their "P" line if I'm not mistaken.

Am also now considering a Vizio P-E1 since my plasma has three vertical lines going through the middle of the screen.

Was considering:
Sony - but too much $$ - if I were going that route, I would just go ahead and go OLED. Just don't think the Sony is worth almost double the price of the Vizio.
The Vizio P65-E1 is at virtually the same price point as the Sony XBR65X900E, only the Vizio P is on "sale" right now and the Sony has been on sale for about the same price. These are both a step above the TCL 65P607 and, as already mentioned, the Vizio M is a comparable replacement for it.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Any other opinions?
2018 TCL (QDCF/PHCF) or 900e
post #7 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I won't be able to wait until 2018. I'm moving into a new apartment in a few months and I need to chose a TV to wall mount. I can't go much >$1k for the TV.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
IMO, the cancellation of the other TCL P series sizes does not bode well. I'm afraid they're going to go in a completely different direction with future products; clearly something about offering an affordable FALD set w/ HDR focused on picture quality didn't work out business-wise.

If that's what you're after, you're pretty much looking a Vizio M- or P-series or Sony X900E now. Each with their own compromises.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
IMO, the cancellation of the other TCL P series sizes does not bode well. I'm afraid they're going to go in a completely different direction with future products; clearly something about offering an affordable FALD set w/ HDR focused on picture quality didn't work out business-wise.

If that's what you're after, you're pretty much looking a Vizio M- or P-series or Sony X900E now. Each with their own compromises.
The 55" is selling extremely well. Every reviewer gives it praise. Amazon can barely keep it in stock. It could be that they plan to go a different direction. Except for the C series, their TVs are pretty much all value focused. If they are planning on a 2018 update and have extremely high 55" sales, then it would make sense to skip a November release of the 65" to ensure sufficient stock of the 2018 65" in the spring. If I'm wrong and they do go a different direction, then it really is Vizio P as the only PQ focused budget TV with decent HDR.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I'd love to get a Sony X900E but I can't afford it. So unless I can find last year's Samsung KS8000, Vizio P/M (maybe a higher end LG or Philips) at a closeout price, it looks like the 2017 Vizio M is my only option in the 65" model. By the time I need my new TV (Dec/Jan) most of 2016 models will be gone.

I do a lot of movie watching so buying a 60Hz TV has me a bit wary. I have a 120Hz 1080p TV so it's hard for me to go back. But there aren't any 65" true 120Hz TVs in the $1k range other than the Hisense 65H9D, which isn't a wide gamut panel or FALD.

Then again, there's always the TCL C series...

Last edited by DaveFi; 08-23-2017 at 08:49 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
The 55" is selling extremely well. Every reviewer gives it praise. Amazon can barely keep it in stock.
Precisely. So whatever happened isn't a result of lack of sales and/or critical attention. Either the sets are unprofitable, even at the volume they're selling at, they can't source necessary components to manufacture the other sizes, they're having unacceptable QA failure levels, or they just made a business "direction" choice that it's not a market they want to compete in after all. Any of which is a shame for us consumers.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
I do a lot of movie watching so buying a 60Hz TV has me a bit wary. I have a 120Hz 1080p TV so it's hard for me to go back. But there aren't any 65" true 120Hz TVs in the $1k range other than the Hisense 65H9D, which isn't a wide gamut panel or FALD.

Then again, there's always the TCL C series...
Unfortunately it seems only 120 Hz native panels can handle 24p judder from 60i and 60p sources. Most 60 Hz panels handle judder from a 24p source, such as a blu ray, but are useless with 60i and 60p sources such as cable TV and Satellite boxes. But not all 120 Hz models do either so you'd better check to see that the Hisense 65H9D does. The Hisense 65H9D Plus supposedly has WCG and might, with it's better processing, have full 24p judder control. I've only seen a review of the 55" model which is 60 Hz not 120 Hz like the 65" is.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Well that's one way to interpret the decision.

The p607 was/is a hit with users and reviewers!

I bet they double down and include QDCF/PHCF at P series price points. Knock SS for a loop.

TCL is just getting started.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm in the same boat too, so I'll be following this thread closely for suggestions.

As of now, it comes down to the TCL C-Series or the Vizio M for me. The Vizio P65 is nice and all, but a bit out of our budget since I wanted to stick around $1K and didn't want to get a refurb.

Leaning towards the TLC C-series at the moment since it hits a lot of my requirements: 1) price around $1K, 2) future proof (HDR+DV a must, FALD nice to have but not a dealbreaker), and 3) size at 65". It supposedly even looks nice too, design-wise. Once rtngs releases their review on that, I'll make a decision.

Just too bad because a TCL P65 would've been perfect...
post #15 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Unfortunately it seems only 120 Hz native panels can handle 24p judder from 60i and 60p sources. Most 60 Hz panels handle judder from a 24p source, such as a blu ray, but are useless with 60i and 60p sources such as cable TV and Satellite boxes. But not all 120 Hz models do either so you'd better check to see that the Hisense 65H9D does. The Hisense 65H9D Plus supposedly has WCG and might, with it's better processing, have full 24p judder control. I've only seen a review of the 55" model which is 60 Hz not 120 Hz like the 65" is.
The Vizio P50-C1 has a 60Hz panel and can switch into an internal 48Hz mode when it recognizes a 24P signal, in all types of signal 24p/60i/60p.
It's also on sale right now for $600 at samsclub.

@hm629

The C series doesn't have FALD nor any sort of local dimming.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #16 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

They could be losing money on the P series sets with all the features it has, Dolby Vision, FALD with 72 zones, at only $599 retail.

I will say I would think sales are doing good base don Amazon stock, but I think they would sell a whole lot more if they upped the price a little and put it in a much more attractive package like the C series. I was out shopping with my father in law recently for a new set for him, he needed 55" and I tried to sell him on the P series and he basically took 1 look at it and said "that is 1 ugly tv" and I couldnt disagree with him. It's a higher end tv packaged in an absolute bare bones looking package.

IF they packaged the tv in something like C series, and priced it $100 more at $699 instead of $599, I think they would sell even more. How a tv looks bezel/stand wise can have as much impact as the picture on a lot of people.

Last edited by thunderbird1100; 08-23-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
AFAIK the only difference between the Hisense 65H9D and 65H9D+ is 120Hz vs 240Hz respectively. So if the + has WCG, then the standard one should too. It would be great if rtings would get one of these to test because the 65H9D is the cheapest true 120Hz 4k TVs out there.

post #18 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hm629 View Post
I'm in the same boat too, so I'll be following this thread closely for suggestions.

As of now, it comes down to the TCL C-Series or the Vizio M for me. The Vizio P65 is nice and all, but a bit out of our budget since I wanted to stick around $1K and didn't want to get a refurb.

Leaning towards the TLC C-series at the moment since it hits a lot of my requirements: 1) price around $1K, 2) future proof (HDR+DV a must, FALD nice to have but not a dealbreaker), and 3) size at 65". It supposedly even looks nice too, design-wise. Once rtngs releases their review on that, I'll make a decision.

Just too bad because a TCL P65 would've been perfect...
You do realize the vizio m-series supports both hdr10 and Dolby vision. And it's FALD. Why would you choose an inferior c series with an edge lit system?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
post #19 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I'm waiting for the 2018 TCL and Vizio P. Vizio's is due for a hardware update. Even though TCL didn't get its 55" out until June, the rationale behind cancelling the 65" leaves me to believe they are targeting a spring 2018 release. If they can't do that, then I'll probably go Vizio P.

Both will have HDMI 2.1 and should continue the affordable FALD trend. Also, both brands are already so well positioned on price, they don't see much of a drop around Black Friday. As soon as the better of the two is determined in the spring, there's no reason to delay a purchase any longer.
Do you have a source for HDMI 2.1 support? That would affect my buying decision. I wasn't expecting support so soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #20 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcCan View Post
Do you have a source for HDMI 2.1 support? That would affect my buying decision. I wasn't expecting support so soon.

I don't have a source specific to those TVs. HDMI 2.1 is something that we're supposed to see starting with 2018 TVs. I would be very surprised if they didn't have it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-you-need-to-know/
post #21 of 21 Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I don't have a source specific to those TVs. HDMI 2.1 is something that we're supposed to see starting with 2018 TVs. I would be very surprised if they didn't have it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-w...-need-to-know/
Official 2.1 release was Q2 2017. Hopefully it made it into the design schedule for 2018 models. Hope you're right, not sure if I'll wait.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page