Please recommend me a 4k HDR TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By UnfoldingSquid
  • 1 Post By Geralt of Rivia
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick

post #1 of 28 Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please recommend me a 4k HDR TV

Hey,

I'm in the market for a 55"-65" 4K TV with HDR for around $1k. I'm not exactly well-versed on all of the current technologies or TV models. My friends, however, know a little more about AV than me, and they highly recommend the
Vizio P55 or the TCL 55P607, because of FALD, the panels, etc. And i've also read my share of posts on the owner's threads, and peopel seem to be generally happy with those TV's. Having said that,, I can only buy it through Amazon due to a gift card credit that I have. And they don't seem to carry the Vizio P series, and they don't have the TCL P in stock either. So can anyone recommend me something comparable in terms of PQ? Something that has 4K, HDR, FALD, etc and have more or less the same picture quality? (And that Amazon carries)

Kind regards,

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-04-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #3 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
Hey,

I'm in the market for a 55"-65" 4K TV with HDR for around $1k. I'm not exactly well-versed on all of the current technologies or TV models. My friends, however, know a little more about AV than me, and they highly recommend the
Vizio P55 or the TCL 55P607, because of FALD, the panels, etc. And i've also read my share of posts on the owner's threads, and peopel seem to be generally happy with those TV's. Having said that,, I can only buy it through Amazon due to a gift card credit that I have. And they don't seem to carry the Vizio P series, and they don't have the TCL P in stock either. So can anyone recommend me something comparable in terms of PQ? Something that has 4K, HDR, FALD, etc and have more or less the same picture quality? (And that Amazon carries)

Kind regards,

Max
I don't mind helping you out.
The TLC gets a good review from CNET. Check it out at CNET.com
Roku smarts, robust picture, really good 55-inch TV

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Nick.+1

I did look into the M series, but I was told that the P series was significantly better. That it has better overall PQ: better uniformity, deeper blacks, and it was brighter, thus the HDR wasn't wasted, so to speak. Frankly, if I'm not going to take full advantage of HDR then I prefer going 65" non-HDR. By anyhow, how true are those statements? Is there a sgnificant difference in PQ between the P and M series by Vizio?

All the best,

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldavman View Post
I don't mind helping you out.
The TLC gets a good review from CNET. Check it out at CNET
Roku smarts, robust picture, really good 55-inch TV

B
Thank you, sir.

After much reading, I did decide to go with the TCL. It's hard to argue against a TV that puts you in 4k and HDR (and has a good PQ) at that price point. I figured I could get an Xbox X with the price difference, but then I noticed that Amazon was out of stock. I might wait for them to get back in stock if I cant find something comparable. Also, when do the 2018 models start coming out?

Best regards,

Max

Last edited by teachsac; 09-05-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Edited out rudeness
post #5 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
As for the OP. I have a TCL 4K set (55US57) and am very pleased with it's features and performance. Can be had for $400.

Last edited by teachsac; 09-05-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Edited out rudeness
post #6 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Posts edited and deleted to stay on topic for OP recommendations.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Thank you, Nick.+1

I did look into the M series, but I was told that the P series was significantly better. That it has better overall PQ: better uniformity, deeper blacks, and it was brighter, thus the HDR wasn't wasted, so to speak. Frankly, if I'm not going to take full advantage of HDR then I prefer going 65" non-HDR. By anyhow, how true are those statements? Is there a sgnificant difference in PQ between the P and M series by Vizio?

All the best,

Max

Thank you, sir.

After much reading, I did decide to go with the TCL. It's hard to argue against a TV that puts you in 4k and HDR (and has a good PQ) at that price point. I figured I could get an Xbox X with the price difference, but then I noticed that Amazon was out of stock. I might wait for them to get back in stock if I cant find something comparable. Also, when do the 2018 models start coming out?

Best regards,

Max
If you go with the TCL make sure you go with the P, as the S is not actually HDR (just supports HDR input). You could also go with the Sony 900e, which has everything you're looking for and has more natural colors if you can swing a little extra price. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR55X90...ony+900e+55%22

The 2018 TVs will be out around April next year
Geralt of Rivia likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500
post #8 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
If you go with the TCL make sure you go with the P, as the S is not actually HDR (just supports HDR input). You could also go with the Sony 900e, which has everything you're looking for and has more natural colors if you can swing a little extra price. <Sony TV link>
The 2018 TVs will be out around April next year

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. $1200 might be a bit of a stretch, but I can swing it. I'm not really one to replace my TV every other year or even every 3 years. My current TV is a 42" 1080p Samsung from 2011 (Lol)
And I would rather get something high quality that will last me for 5 or so years, especially since the new standard seems to have solidified around 4k and HDR. That being said it's more than twice the price of the TCL...ouch...Lol

The difference is more than an Xbox X. It's an Xbox X plus a couple of games. Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that this TV is going into the living room where my family does a fair bit of gaming. Both PC and console gaming. So I'll have to look into the latency of that Sony. And see if it's suitable for gaming.

But thanks for the recommendation, again. I did not know about this one. I will have to read some reviews on it. If the colors are more realistic looking and less saturated then thats a huge plus in my book. Because for anything non-gaming related, the saturated/HDR colors look awful. And I've notices this awfulness on a Vizio P which was supposedly well-calibrated.
post #9 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Check out the Sony x900e. It's rated better than the Vizio P(which is what you wanted) and around the same price point.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR55X90.../dp/B01MUG21R7

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason why some TV's are low in price and it's not because it's a good TV.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. $1200 might be a bit of a stretch, but I can swing it. I'm not really one to replace my TV every other year or even every 3 years. My current TV is a 42" 1080p Samsung from 2011 (Lol)
And I would rather get something high quality that will last me for 5 or so years, especially since the new standard seems to have solidified around 4k and HDR. That being said it's more than twice the price of the TCL...ouch...Lol

The difference is more than an Xbox X. It's an Xbox X plus a couple of games. Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that this TV is going into the living room where my family does a fair bit of gaming. Both PC and console gaming. So I'll have to look into the latency of that Sony. And see if it's suitable for gaming.

But thanks for the recommendation, again. I did not know about this one. I will have to read some reviews on it. If the colors are more realistic looking and less saturated then thats a huge plus in my book. Because for anything non-gaming related, the saturated/HDR colors look awful. And I've notices this awfulness on a Vizio P which was supposedly well-calibrated.
If you don't like the saturated colors of the Vizio I'm thinking you'll feel the same about TCL. I'd recommend heading over to a local brick and mortar store, like Best Buy or Frye's, to get an idea of what they look like.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500
post #11 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Check out the Sony x900e. It's rated better than the Vizio P(which is what you wanted) and around the same price point.

<links>

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason why some TV's are low in price and it's not because it's a good TV.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yes, this is the one that UnfoldingSquid recommended. I really like what I see so far. And yes, I was leaning heavily in favor of the Vizio P55-C1, in part because Dell was offering a $250 or $300 gift card with the purchase of one .I think they still have a similar option, but for the 2017 model the "E", which is a really great offer, IMO. Especially since I'm looking to pre order the new Xbox. That would have covered more than half. But anyway, I have a pretty nice Amazon credit at the moment , and I do want the better TV. Like I said, I'm not one to upgrade that often, so I want something I'll be happy with for a while. Thanks again.

Best regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
If you don't like the saturated colors of the Vizio I'm thinking you'll feel the same about TCL. I'd recommend heading over to a local brick and mortar store, like Best Buy or Frye's, to get an idea of what they look like.
I have seen the Vizio P in person, and i thought it had a great image, but at times the colors did seem exaggerated and way too saturated. And I've also seen it at a local BrandsMart but I do not think they were playing HDR content. I should check em out at BestBuy though.

But you make very good points. I mean, I don't know what people expect from a $650 TV, but you get what you pay for, as you alluded. I am being 100% realistic. But at $650, you start thinking you might be able to sacrifice maybe 10-15% PQ? It's definitely the best value. But I know myself, and I will regret not buying the better option in no time.
UnfoldingSquid likes this.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Nick.+1

All the best,

Max

Thank you, sir.

Best regards,

Max
The 2017 M-series is pretty much just as bright as the P-series, but it has fewer zones and a 60Hz panel. That being said, a 65" M-series>a 55" Vizio or TCL P-series.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Vizio P55
post #14 of 28 Old 09-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
That being said, a 65" M-series>a 55" Vizio
Is that so? People having both P55 and M series have stated that P55 is still better even with the IPS panel.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, either way, the Vizio P is out of the question because amazon doesn't have it. Which is kinda odd. And the M is also out of the question. I understand it's a decent TV, but I want a "pretty good" or "good" TV (Lol)

I'm leaning towards the Sony. i might be pulling the trigger on it in the next few days. My prospective TV purchase kinda took a back seat to my hurricane preparations (I live in FL.)
post #16 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by him7403 View Post
Is that so? People having both P55 and M series have stated that P55 is still better even with the IPS panel.
That's because people that own the IPS P-series are in a constant state of denial. They absolutely refuse to face reality, and so they tell lies on the internet to continue their own delusions. That, or they just don't know any better. No matter how much they deny it they still have 1/3-1/4 the contrast of the VA panel, and the blacks are a dark gray at their best, just like every other IPS. I even brought a P55 home for testing, because I got sick of hearing about how the FALD makes up for the IPS, and guess what? It absolutely does not. Not unless you've never had a quality TV, because then you are just used to poor contrast ratios. But, that also means your opinion is invalid, because you don't have any real point of reference.

I would buy a 55" M-series over a 55" P-series, let alone the 65" for roughly the same money as the 55" P-series.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 09-06-2017 at 07:51 AM.
post #17 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Sony. i might be pulling the trigger on it in the next few days. My prospective TV purchase kinda took a back seat to my hurricane preparations (I live in FL.)
Yeah, I'd wait on the TV purchase for now.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's because people that own the IPS P-series are in a constant state of denial. They absolutely refuse to face reality, and so they tell lies on the internet to continue their own delusions. That, or they just don't know any better. No matter how much they deny it they still have 1/3-1/4 the contrast of the VA panel, and the blacks are a dark gray at their best, just like every other IPS. I even brought a P55 home for testing, because I got sick of hearing about how the FALD makes up for the IPS, and guess what? It absolutely does not. Not unless you've never had a quality TV, because then you are just used to poor contrast ratios. But, that also means your opinion is invalid, because you don't have any real point of reference.

I would buy a 55" M-series over a 55" P-series, let alone the 65" for roughly the same money as the 55" P-series.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the P55 have over two times the number of active zones? And doesn't the active zones have an impact on HDR and contrast? (Not rhetorical, I'm genuinely asking.)

Also, is the Sony x900 an IPS panel? I always thought IPS panels were a good thing. (I couldn't find the kind of panel that is in the Sony, tried looking it up., if anyone can chime in, it would be appreciated.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Yeah, I'd wait on the TV purchase for now.
LOL
post #19 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the P55 have over two times the number of active zones? And doesn't the active zones have an impact on HDR and contrast? (Not rhetorical, I'm genuinely asking.)

Also, is the Sony x900 an IPS panel? I always thought IPS panels were a good thing. (I couldn't find the kind of panel that is in the Sony, tried looking it up., if anyone can chime in, it would be appreciated.)

LOL
Yes, it does have far more active zones. What this impacts is the local dimming, giving it greater control of light. It might help it do better on a contrast test pattern, but it doesn't change the native contrast. A typical IPS contrast is around 1300-1500:1 and the VA P-series is 5600:1, and there's no making up for that, which is why the blacks appear as a dark gray.

If you ever doubt that, watch some scenes that are supposed to have a black background with a quality VA versus an IPS, and the difference becomes readily apparent. Something like Game of Thrones, in any of the dungeon scenes where Varys meets Ned Stark. Or the night scenes on Buggy Boys in Grand Tour.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, it does have far more active zones. What this impacts is the local dimming, giving it greater control of light. It might help it do better on a contrast test pattern, but it doesn't change the native contrast. A typical IPS contrast is around 1300-1500:1 and the VA P-series is 5600:1, and there's no making up for that, which is why the blacks appear as a dark gray.

If you ever doubt that, watch some scenes that are supposed to have a black background with a quality VA versus an IPS, and the difference becomes readily apparent. Something like Game of Thrones, in any of the dungeon scenes where Varys meets Ned Stark. Or the night scenes on Buggy Boys in Grand Tour.

Thank you, that's interesting. We are huge GOT fans here, so I would certainly appreciate the deeper blacks and better contrast. Just the superior overall PQ. But people do feel obligated to like something after they spend that kind of money. Or any kind of money actually. The price point is irrelevant. I've found this kind of (self) validation to exist with just about everything. No one wants to feel like they wasted their money or bought a lesser product, especially if they spent more for the inferior one.

By any chance, do you know what kind of panel is in the Sony X900?

The TCL is back in stock at Amazon for $735, BTW. Err.. that price is so enticing. But I'd have to see one in person. I'd really like to see it side by side with the Sony x900 and compare the PQ.

Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 09-06-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that's interesting. We are huge GOT fans here, so I would certainly appreciate the deeper blacks and better contrast. Just the superior overall PQ. But people do feel obligated to like something after they spend that kind of money. Or any kind of money actually. The price point is irrelevant. I've found this kind of (self) validation to exist with just about everything. No one wants to feel like they wasted their money or bought a lesser product, especially if they spent more for the inferior one.

By any chance, do you know what kind of panel is in the Sony X900?

The TCL is back in stock at Amazon for $735, BTW. Err.. that price is so enticing. But I'd have to see one in person. I'd really like to see it side by side with the Sony x900 and compare the PQ.
X900E is a VA panel. The TCL is a fake 10-bit panel (it's an 8-bit FRC), albeit with good execution, and it is a 60Hz panel. Also, $735 is pretty high for the TCL 55" P607. It's been $600 multiple times.
post #22 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
X900E is a VA panel. The TCL is a fake 10-bit panel (it's an 8-bit FRC), albeit with good execution, and it is a 60Hz panel. Also, $735 is pretty high for the TCL 55" P607. It's been $600 multiple times.
Thanks again. Yes, it was just $650. Prices fluctuate quite a bit on Amazon, I'd say they change by the day, or even by the hour sometimes. Is $1200 a decent price for the X900? I'd say it is, casue everywhere else I've looked it's $1300+, including Dell, which has some of the best deals on TV's that I've seen online, save your big box membership stores.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. Yes, it was just $650. Prices fluctuate quite a bit on Amazon, I'd say they change by the day, or even by the hour sometimes. Is $1200 a decent price for the X900? I'd say it is, casue everywhere else I've looked it's $1300+, including Dell, which has some of the best deals on TV's that I've seen online, save your big box membership stores.
https://slickdeals.net/f/10506412-55...archBarV2Algo1

That was from Dell. Ends up being $875 effective price, to give you an idea of how Amazon's price is.
post #24 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10506412-55...archBarV2Algo1

That was from Dell. Ends up being $875 effective price, to give you an idea of how Amazon's price is.

Oh shoot. Yeah, I'm familiar with the gift card promo deals they do. I bought a laptop with one. And I was about to buy a Vizio P55-C1 with a $300 GC. They just added it for the Sony cause I was at their site just last night and they didn't have it. Shoot that really throws a wrench into my plans, cause even with my Amazon credit, that's too good to pass up. I mean, the Amazon credit isnt going anywhere and $200 (difference) is a decent incentive.

But the effectiove price is $998, isn't it? $1298 minus the $300 GC, is $998. Basically $200 cheaper than Amazon after you take the GC into account. But $100 more off the bat.

Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 09-06-2017 at 06:17 PM.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Oh shoot. Yeah, I'm familiar with the gift card promo deals they do. I bought a laptop with one. And I was about to buy a Vizio P55-C1 with a $300 GC. They just added it for the Sony cause I was at their site just last night and they didn't have it. Shoot that really throws a wrench into my plans, cause even with my Amazon credit, that's too good to pass up. I mean, the Amazon credit isnt going anywhere and $200 (difference) is a decent incentive.

But the effectiove price is $998, isn't it? $1298 minus the $300 GC, is $998. Basically $200 cheaper than Amazon after you take the GC into account. But $100 more off the bat.
"1298 Sony XBR55X900E
- $129.80 (10% e_b_a_t_e_s cash back)
- $77.88 (Dell Advantage Rewards and 12 month finance through DPA)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$1090.32 Total before tax
-$300 Gift Card
---------------------
$790.32 if you factor gift card
+$85.00 Tax
__________________________________________________ __________
$875.32 Total"
post #26 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"1298 Sony XBR55X900E
- $129.80 (10% e_b_a_t_e_s cash back)
- $77.88 (Dell Advantage Rewards and 12 month finance through DPA)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$1090.32 Total before tax
-$300 Gift Card
---------------------
$790.32 if you factor gift card
+$85.00 Tax
__________________________________________________ __________
$875.32 Total"

Oh nice. I didn't even know about SD. I just bookmarked it. Thanks again
post #27 of 28 Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Oh nice. I didn't even know about SD. I just bookmarked it. Thanks again
SD is your best friend, but can be your worst nightmare if you browse it often. I've made more unnecessary purchases than I would like to admit, simply because the deal was too good to pass up. Beware.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I just noticed it shot up to $1700 bucks (on Dell). What the heck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page