1080p + good sound vs. 4K? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1080p + good sound vs. 4K?

Last time I was here D-Nice (on another forum) was a fan of ST-60 plasmas. I never did buy a TV after months of "research." I watch on my computer. I've had two cataract lens implants; my vision is fine but I wonder at my age (71) if I really want to spend money on a good/great 4K LCD or even worse (financially) OLED? Or do I want to just buy a 1080p LCD and a good soundbar or even a more extensive sound system? I really love music but I'm not an audiophile either and as you can tell I'm not a videophile. I can afford to get a 4K or OLED AND a good sound system but what does "afford" mean? I'd rather spend the difference "affording" some female companionship since I can't woo them with my good looks or ripped abs anymore. Plus I'd like to start attending bridge tournaments again and my resources are not limitless. So once again, I don't know what to do. But for the purposes of this forum can we just consider the tradeoffs between 1080p and better sound vs. 4K or OLED and worse sound? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think if you went with a Vizio, Hisense, or TCL 4K TV you could have your cake and eat it too since as you say you aren't that much of a videophile. I'm happy enough with my 43" Hisense I bought for my bedroom TV that cost me no more than $275 with tax.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you can even find a 1080P TV, it's going to be a very low-end model. Pretty much everything on the market is 4k, so it's just a matter of how much money you want to save. That being said, the difference between something like a 65" OLED and a 65" Vizio D-series is going to be around $1,000-1,500. That can get you a nice, used audio setup. And, unlike video, a good set of speakers will last you decades, the main replacement being the receiver. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend most of the money on the sound setup, and use the remaining money to buy a TV. Then, whenever you get sick of the TV, you just replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to those who replied. I didn't get any notification in my email. Both replies useful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page