LG 55UJ6300 disable antenna input? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2017, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LG 55UJ6300 disable antenna input?

When I went through the initial setup, I selected that I had no TV service. No broadcast, no cable, none! This TV will only be used for online streaming and playing videos from USB drives.

So what do I get? SNOW AND NOISE every time it's turned on. So it has to be muted or quickly changed to Youtube or something else. Whatever happened to defaulting to a blue screen when there's no signal?

Is there any way to stop it looking for an antenna signal that isn't there? The system software has been updated to the latest and I had it do a channel scan, hoping that finding no signals would make it stop acting like it's after 10 PM in 1979. (Yes, I'm old enough to remember when TV stations went off-air in the middle of the night.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Switch it to an HDMI before going to streaming and see if the problem repeats
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Rtfm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2017, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Switch it to an HDMI before going to streaming and see if the problem repeats
It won't switch to an unused input. Nothing is connected to any of the HDMI inputs or the component input. The issue is that when turned on, it goes to the antenna input.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
When I went through the initial setup, I selected that I had no TV service. No broadcast, no cable, none! This TV will only be used for online streaming and playing videos from USB drives. So what do I get? SNOW AND NOISE every time it's turned on. So it has to be muted or quickly changed to Youtube or something else. Whatever happened to defaulting to a blue screen when there's no signal?
Some current TVs have a blue or black no signal screen (like my Panasonic Plasmas), but others have static and noise like the old tube TVs did. You just happen to have one that has static and noise. It's ironic because i actually wanted the static screen on my Plasmas to use as sort of a Pixel Flipper to wash away IR, but it goes straight to black screen with nothing connected to it.

Quote:
.....It won't switch to an unused input. Nothing is connected to any of the HDMI inputs or the component input. The issue is that when turned on, it goes to the antenna input.
Since the TV has no devices connected to any of the inputs then the default is to power up in Internal Tuner mode. The TV remembers the last input it was on so once a device is connected, the TV will power up on that input as long as you turn it off while on that input. You'll have to connect something to the TV to avoid the static & noise thing.

Do you have any devices that you can connect to an HDMI or Component or even old Composite input so the TV will go to that input when you turn it on? Like some sort of HDMI streaming stick? Even an old VCR or CCV video camera device might work as long as they're sending a signal to the TV.

Or just connect the RF input to an antenna or rabbit ears or anything that can pull in a good signal.

In the meantime, knowing that you've been hitting mute as soon as you turn it on, lower the volume on the TV way down before you shut it off for the night.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Unless LG makes some change in a future firmware update to add an option to ignore the antenna input, looks like plugging something into one of the HDMI ports is the workaround. :P I did send them a suggestion that an option to disable the tuner or having a user selectable solid color background when there's no antenna signal would be most welcome.

Previous TVs have gone to some form of blank screen when no antenna signal is detected. Back in the VCR era that could be a bit of a pain. Dunno why LG has decided to go all nostalgic on this feature. I see LG just released another update for the UJ6300 series on the 13th. Most interesting bit in the notes is faster hard drive recognition.

It took a long time for it to scan a 4TB (3.68TB formatted) USB 3.0 hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page