70 Inch TV for large living room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
70 Inch TV for large living room

I just moved into a new home with a cut-out in the wall 66 inches across (thus it seems a 70 inch TV is the maximum I can fit). The living room is fairly large and open to the kitchen. Unfortunately as I've found options for 70 inch screens is limited, but I couldn't find a 75 inch that would fit both the cut out and our price range (a curved screen would probably fit, barely, but too pricey for me).

It's not a theater room by any means, and a significant portion of the time someone in the kitchen would want to watch TV at an angle, so the viewing angle is more important than perfectly dark blacks etc.

Am I right to conclude that the LG 70UJ6570 ($1299 at BestBuy) would probably be a better bet than say a Vizio M70-E3 ($1599 at Costco) or Sony KD70X690E ($1498 at Amazon), primary due to the IPS screen providing better viewing angles? Are there any options I'm missing in that price range (say $2k or less)? Unfortunately, reviews on the LG screen are somewhat limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked: 3260
Congrats on the new house! Out of those three options the Vizio is your best bet, yes ips provides better viewing angles, but at a cost namely contrast. The M series is an excellent choice for your budget...but of course in the end it will come down to your needs...good luck on your purchase!
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgchan View Post
Am I right to conclude that the LG 70UJ6570 ($1299 at BestBuy) would probably be a better bet than say a Vizio M70-E3 ($1599 at Costco) or Sony KD70X690E ($1498 at Amazon), primary due to the IPS screen providing better viewing angles?
Here is my suggestion: if you already have a Costco membership and you can visit one of their stores, you can compare the viewing angles of the LG and Vizio TVs, because Costco sells both models (Costco's LG is the 75-inch version). Your in-store evaluation of the two models might provide you with the answer you need.

You may also want to keep in mind how brightly-lit your living room will be. The LG is probably not as bright as the Vizio, so even if the LG offers wider viewing angles than the Vizio, the LG might look dimmer and more washed-out in a bright room. Since Costco's showrooms are fairly well-lit, it may give you an idea how well the LG and the Vizio perform in that regard. The Vizio is brighter than the Sony, as well.

The Rtings TV review site recommends both the Vizio M70-E3 and the Sony KD70X690E as their top picks for Best Mid-Price 70" TVs, and they consider the Vizio slightly better overall. You can probably feel confident that you don't need to explore any more options than the three models you are already considering.

Best of success in choosing your new TV.

Routinely stumbling down rabbit holes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page