55" Curve or Flat screen as a PC Monitor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb 55" Curve or Flat screen as a PC Monitor

Hi Guys,

Need some help here. I'm deciding between the Samsung KS 8500 and the Sony X900e at their 55" size for PC Desktop Usage.

I will be seating 80cm-140cm away from the TV as I do not wish to use Windows scaling and will be leaving it at the the default of 100%.

My main concerns are:
1. At that size and seating distance, would I be better off with a curve display? This is because I'm guessing the text and other contents being displayed on the far left and right of the screen may appear skewed to me since I'll be seating at the dead center and looking at the corners would be at quite an angle.

2. Has anyone ever tried using their 55" tv as a pc monitor or am i the only crazy one?

3. I was initially considering the KS 8500 but after reading the KS 8500's owner's thread I'm leaning more toward the x900e even though its flat and more expensive (at least there are fewer complains in terms of backlight bleed and build quality).

4. Would it be a wise decision to forego the curve screen and get the x900 55" flat panel. This would also mean trading picture and build quality at the expense of a possible slight discomfort in the neck area as I may have to pan my neck left and right should i open more than 2 windows in the desktop setting at 100% windows scaling.

5. Should I wait it out for 2018 and in hopes of sony or any other brand releasing a curved full-array backlit panel? Or just go with the X9000e?

Would be great if you could share your experience using a TV as a PC Monitor running Windows preferably.
  1. Did you use 100% windows scaling?
  2. Why did you go for the curve/flat panel?
  3. What is the size of the TV and the distance you're sitting away from it?

Any feed backs, will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Emptrix; 12-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-05-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptrix View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some help here. I'm deciding between the Samsung KS 8500 and the Sony X900e at their 55" size for PC Desktop Usage.

I will be seating 80cm-140cm away from the TV as I do not wish to use Windows scaling and will be leaving it at the the default of 100%.

My main concerns are:
1. At that size and seating distance, would I be better off with a curve display? This is because I'm guessing the text and other contents being displayed on the far left and right of the screen may appear skewed to me since I'll be seating at the dead center and looking at the corners would be at quite an angle.

2. Has anyone ever tried using their 55" tv as a pc monitor or am i the only crazy one?

3. I was initially considering the KS 8500 but after reading the KS 8500's owner's thread I'm leaning more toward the x900e even though its flat and more expensive (at least there are fewer complains in terms of backlight bleed and build quality).

4. Would it be a wise decision to forego the curve screen and get the x900 55" flat panel. This would also mean trading picture and build quality at the expense of a possible slight discomfort in the neck area as I may have to pan my neck left and right should i open more than 2 windows in the desktop setting at 100% windows scaling.

5. Should I wait it out for 2018 and in hopes of sony or any other brand releasing a curved full-array backlit panel? Or just go with the X9000e?

Any feed backs, will be greatly appreciated!
You've mentioned using it as a PC monitor and mentioned "text and other contents". So what is the primary function? You don't need a bright VA panel with HDR for use as a PC monitor and there are better and cheaper options for that function. The IPS panel Sony KD55X720E is a great, inexpensive choice for a PC monitor. At the high end, an LG OLED would be the top choice. Will you be using it for computer gaming?

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 12-05-2017 at 05:10 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
You've mentioned using it as a PC monitor and mentioned "text and other contents". So what is the primary function? You don't need a bright VA panel with HDR for use as a PC monitor and there are better and cheaper options for that function. The IPS panel Sony KD55X720E is a great, inexpensive choice for a PC monitor. At the high end, an LG OLED would be the top choice. Will you be using it for computer gaming?
I'll be using it for desktop usage with some pc gaming and movie watching during free time therefore i'd prefer a va panel for that crispy inky blacks.
Would you think at 100% windows scaling and 55" screen size a curve would be advatages in terms of comfort or would the flat panel of the x900e be fine as well? Seating at 80cm - 135cm away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll be using it for desktop usage with some pc gaming and movie watching during free time therefore i'd prefer a va panel for that crispy inky blacks.
Would you think at 100% windows scaling and 55" screen size a curve would be advatages in terms of comfort or would the flat panel of the x900e be fine as well? Seating at 80cm - 135cm away.
That would be way too close for me, especially at 80cm, which is only a bit over 2.5 feet. I use a 27" QHD (2560x1440) monitor sitting on my desk at about that distance and the thought of a uber bright 55" VA panel with HDR at that distance is somewhat disturbing. IMO the curve would make for a more immersive gaming experience, but would be a bit weird for general PC use. Personally, at that distance, I'd go with a 40" to 43" TV.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
flat is fine.

I sit 73cm from my 43", which is the same as your sitting 93cm from a 55".

I use 100% scaling, and it's like having 21" monitors side by side. Very comfortable viewing.

get the flat or the curve. either is fine.
go to Best Buy and look at the screens in person
post #6 of 14 Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrokeit View Post
flat is fine.

I use 100% scaling, and it's like having 21" monitors side by side. Very comfortable viewing.

I am using a 49" KS8000 as a desktop PC monitor. The issue would be height with a 55 inch.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That would be way too close for me, especially at 80cm, which is only a bit over 2.5 feet. I use a 27" QHD (2560x1440) monitor sitting on my desk at about that distance and the thought of a uber bright 55" VA panel with HDR at that distance is somewhat disturbing. IMO the curve would make for a more immersive gaming experience, but would be a bit weird for general PC use. Personally, at that distance, I'd go with a 40" to 43" TV.
Ah i see! Is it because the x900e has limited dimming capabilities? So if i set brightness to the lowest it would still scorch my eyes? I'm basically gonna be using the TV as a multipurpose screen. Desktop usage, movie watching(where i will be turning up the brightness and lying back on my couch which is just behind my computer chair.) and lastly pc gaming. Therefore taking into consideration of all these factors, I'm thinking the 55" would be the max size i could go for my mix usage. (Can't afford both a good pc monitor and a tv therefore putting all my budget into 1 quality screen)

If you were me who does more desktop usage and movie watching and just about 25% usage for pc gaming would you get the flat or curve?

Quote:
flat is fine.

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience! So i'm assuming your 43" monitor is flat? Are there any reasons why you didn't went for a curve screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
I am using a 49" KS8000 as a desktop PC monitor. The issue would be height with a 55 inch.
Much thanks for sharing! Are there any reasons why you didn't went for a curve screen?
post #8 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
flat is fine.

Again, each to their own, but sitting in front of dual 21" monitors is nothing like sitting in front of a 55" TV. A 21" monitor on it's stand is typically 14" to 15" tall while a 55" TV is over 30" tall or more than double the height. So dual 21" monitor is much more comfortable to watch since your eyes are just about lined up with the top of the screens.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah i see! Is it because the x900e has limited dimming capabilities? So if i set brightness to the lowest it would still scorch my eyes? I'm basically gonna be using the TV as a multipurpose screen. Desktop usage, movie watching(where i will be turning up the brightness and lying back on my couch which is just behind my computer chair.) and lastly pc gaming. Therefore taking into consideration of all these factors, I'm thinking the 55" would be the max size i could go for my mix usage. (Can't afford both a good pc monitor and a tv therefore putting all my budget into 1 quality screen)
Sitting at 80cm from the screen when using the TV as a monitor, you will be at close to a 45 degrees off-angle to the left and right edges of the screen. That's way over the capabilities of any VA panel so an IPS or OLED panel would be a better choice. A curved VA panel would provide better off-angle viewing to the edges of the screen than a flat one.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sitting at 80cm from the screen when using the TV as a monitor, you will be at close to a 45 degrees off-angle to the left and right edges of the screen. That's way over the capabilities of any VA panel so an IPS or OLED panel would be a better choice. A curved VA panel would provide better off-angle viewing to the edges of the screen than a flat one.
The 45 degrees sharp angle is one of my primary concerns! But then when I think about going curved, most of the curved screens available right now are the samsungs (ks, mu and qled series) which all are edge lit and suffer from back-light bleeding. I did a read through the samsung KS8500 owners, samsung MU 8500 owners, samsung Q7c/Q8c thread and nearly every page has talks about the back light bleeding, colour banding, and other commonly know defects (with 50% of those having pictures to show exactly what is going on with the panel).. basically quality control and panel lottery if i were to go that route.

Then i stumbled upon the sony x900e's owners thread and there were few complains about clouding etc but those were uncommon in the thread and almost 80% of the time in each page i would read no complains regarding defects. So that comes down to my choices, go with the samsung curves and fight with their qa control issues and the limitations of edge lit panels or take the safer route at the expense of slight discomfort (flat panel) sony x900e which i feel that I've a higher chance of striking a set with little to no backlight bleeding and dse (to top if off it has full array local dimming). A VA panel is a must for me as i'm sick of the grey-ish blacks of my current ips panel monitor.

I believe there are no full array curved va panels this year so my best bet to go curve would be the mu8 or the qleds. Not looking at OLEDS as their price is still over my budget, not to mention a curved version plus the complains about burn-in for pc or game usage is a red flag.

Would you think it will be wise given this scenario to wait till 2018 and hope if one of the manufacturers releases a full array curved va panel tv with decent to low input lag? Or just get what is on the table now?

Last edited by Emptrix; 12-07-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 45 degrees sharp angle is one of my primary concerns! But then when I think about going curved, most of the curved screens available right now are the samsungs (ks, mu and qled series) which all are edge lit and suffer from back-light bleeding. I did a read through the samsung KS8500 owners, samsung MU 8500 owners, samsung Q7c/Q8c thread and nearly every page has talks about the back light bleeding, colour banding, and other commonly know defects (with 50% of those having pictures to show exactly what is going on with the panel).. basically quality control and panel lottery if i were to go that route.

Then i stumbled upon the sony x900e's owners thread and there were few complains about clouding etc but those were uncommon in the thread and almost 80% of the time in each page i would read no complains regarding defects. So that comes down to my choices, go with the samsung curves and fight with their qa control issues and the limitations of edge lit panels or take the safer route at the expense of slight discomfort (flat panel) sony x900e which i feel that I've a higher chance of striking a set with little to no backlight bleeding and dse (to top if off it has full array local dimming). A VA panel is a must for me as i'm sick of the grey-ish blacks of my current ips panel monitor.

I believe there are no full array curved va panels this year so my best bet to go curve would be the mu8 or the qleds. Not looking at OLEDS as their price is still over my budget, not to mention a curved version plus the complains about burn-in for pc or game usage is a red flag.

Would you think it will be wise given this scenario to wait till 2018 and hope if one of the manufacturers releases a full array curved va panel tv with decent to low input lag? Or just get what is on the table now?
Have you ever looked at the Vizio P55-E1? It's an IPS panel but with pretty decent FALD that should nearly double the contrast ratio, extrapolating from the Rtings measurements of the Vizio P65-E1 VA panel model. It might be a compromise for your two uses, an IPS monitor for wide angle viewing for your close up PC usage, and FALD for deeper blacks when watching movies.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you ever looked at the Vizio P55-E1? It's an IPS panel but with pretty decent FALD that should nearly double the contrast ratio, extrapolating from the Rtings measurements of the Vizio P65-E1 VA panel model. It might be a compromise for your two uses, an IPS monitor for wide angle viewing for your close up PC usage, and FALD for deeper blacks when watching movies.
Yes regarding the Vizio i've did some research. Unfortunately where i reside, the vizios are totally non-existence and no vizio service centers around (singapore). The only brands I can find are LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Phillips and some unknown brand.

I think panasonic uses ips panels in their ex 400 series range but there are no information regarding the input lag though and reviews are limited for panasonic.

In this scenario are there any more panels besides the x900e i could consider? Main priority would be the contrast ratio as I want inky blacks for a change!

For the others who uses their TV as a PC Monitor please share your experience!
  1. Did you use 100% windows scaling?
  2. Why did you go for the curve/flat panel?
  3. What is the size of the TV and the distance you're sitting away from it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Emptrix; 12-07-2017 at 09:10 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

If you were me who does more desktop usage and movie watching and just about 25% usage for pc gaming would you get the flat or curve?

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience! So i'm assuming your 43" monitor is flat? Are there any reasons why you didn't went for a curve screen?

Much thanks for sharing! Are there any reasons why you didn't went for a curve screen?
Curved units were not readily available. A curved display takes up more of the desk.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
Curved units were not readily available. A curved display takes up more of the desk.
If given a choice now (since there are more curves) would you still go for the flat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page