Official 2017 Vizio E Series Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 12-06-2017, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Arv

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Official 2017 Vizio E Series Owners Thread

Can't seem to find the Official 2017 Vizio E Series Owners Thread unless its buried past page 10 of my search results. Did find some posts asking about the existence of this thread. So here it is!

Unless there's already an "Official" one in place. I did find this - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...hdmi-cast.html

So the main reason for my post is to really find out what this HDR10 firmware update gives us, do we only get it for the following devices/players listed below? Do we get HDR10 via the built-in apps, via 4K Rokus (or other streaming devices), and via casting ( I know there are a lot of limitations with casting). I found some info about what it does and doesn't and there's conflicting info out there. I know the set (note that I'm not calling it a TV :-)) does not get bright enough, does not have WCG, and poor local dimming, but does this update change anything? Is local dimming better now? Do you leave local dimming on or off?

...VIZIO, Inc. announced today a new firmware update for select VIZIO SmartCast E-Series Ultra HD Home Theater Display models, enabling HDR10 compatibility with existing HDR Blu-ray players from Samsung (UHD-K8500) and Philips (BDP7501/F7), as well as PS4 and Xbox One S game consoles. VIZIO is continuing to work to further expand support for additional players as they become available in the market. E-Series models receiving the added bonus of HDR10 firmware range from the 55” – 70” class size...

Another member posted about the FREE (or w/ nominal fee) upgraded remote, its located at https://support.vizio.com/s/remote?l...m_source=43737

I purchased the set at a really great price and I knew it was a budget model but its been great so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got the 70" set on a really good deal from Costco. I'm definitely getting HDR from my XBox One X.

The TV really isn't bad for how cheap it was. My only real complaint with the TV so far is that the screen lighting is very uneven. If you throw up a grey or white image you can see how bad it is. I was able to dial in the picture fairly decently, colors are pretty accurate and the image isn't as dim as reviews would let you believe.

Now, if my Amazon Fire TV would reliably give me a 4k stream...
post #3 of 50 Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also bought the 70" model, and am trying to figure out some things:
  • Can the built-in apps be sorted and/or filtered? We only need 2-3 of them, so I'd like to hide the rest of them ideally, or at least put those 2-3 together at the beginning of the list.
  • Do the built-in apps support HDR? I watched The Grand Tour via the Amazon Prime Video app, and I see "2160P Normal" when I press Info.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Arv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
I also bought the 70" model, and am trying to figure out some things:
  • Can the built-in apps be sorted and/or filtered? We only need 2-3 of them, so I'd like to hide the rest of them ideally, or at least put those 2-3 together at the beginning of the list.
  • Do the built-in apps support HDR? I watched The Grand Tour via the Amazon Prime Video app, and I see "2160P Normal" when I press Info.
Yes the built-in apps do seem to support HDR, at least Netflix does. I just recently confirmed this myself. However there are a lot of shows in 4K/2160P resolution but not in HDR10 or DoVi. The only one that I've found on Netflix that is HDR10 is Marco Polo. I'm sure there are more. You will see HDR10 right beside 2160P when you click the info button on your remote. Or in system info. where it normally shows HDR: No for non-HDR10 shows as the E series is only HDR10, no DoVi. I haven't had the time to search for a HDR10 show on Amazon.

Not sure about sorting the apps, let us know when you find a way to do that.

How do you like your set?

Thanks!
Arv
post #5 of 50 Old 12-11-2017, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Arv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Opipari View Post
I got the 70" set on a really good deal from Costco. I'm definitely getting HDR from my XBox One X.

The TV really isn't bad for how cheap it was. My only real complaint with the TV so far is that the screen lighting is very uneven. If you throw up a grey or white image you can see how bad it is. I was able to dial in the picture fairly decently, colors are pretty accurate and the image isn't as dim as reviews would let you believe.

Now, if my Amazon Fire TV would reliably give me a 4k stream...
Yeah its my 1st entry level set and I am very impressed too! Wish it was brighter but for the price I paid, I can't complain. It is bright enough for daytime viewing and excellent when the lights are dimmed. Compared this with other entry level sets and you can't beat it!

The built in apps were a bonus as I was only expecting Smartcast per rtings review. I did read somewhere that casting is limited to 720p, is this really the case?

As for Amazon streaming quality, I've noticed that too. Netflix seems to do a better job. I've only noticed a problem when my DVR was recording 3 shows and I was trying to stream 4K on Uverse.

Thanks!
Arv
post #6 of 50 Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM

I don't think it's limited to 720p. I was smart casting you tube over the weekend and the TV (and you tube) indicated it was running at 2160p.

I've got u-verse too, FTTH - Gigapower. The thing I figured out last night is that I have to call up the version that says (UltraHD) in the title and it works more reliably. It takes a minute or two to get up to 4k though, which bugs me. Netflix, almost instant.

I have been playing with the TV a bit more to dial in the picture and I'm pretty happy with it now. I just wish the back light was more even.
post #7 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Opipari View Post
I don't think it's limited to 720p. I was smart casting you tube over the weekend and the TV (and you tube) indicated it was running at 2160p.

I've got u-verse too, FTTH - Gigapower. The thing I figured out last night is that I have to call up the version that says (UltraHD) in the title and it works more reliably. It takes a minute or two to get up to 4k though, which bugs me. Netflix, almost instant.

I have been playing with the TV a bit more to dial in the picture and I'm pretty happy with it now. I just wish the back light was more even.
I just got mine delivered today.only difference is i got the 65 inch..the 70 would not fit were we have our tv .but i was wondering if you can tell me the picture settings you have use to fine tune it please.. Also I would like to say i am damn happy with this tv.. I am coming from the Hisense 55H9B2 that i loved but after only 2 years it developed a few dead pixels. and they were right in the middle of the screen... the xbox one s worked right off the bat with this tv..and the punisher plays in hdr10.. and looks great..

My biggest problem is getting the picture right..if anyone can help that would be great thanks...
post #8 of 50 Old 12-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I recommended this TV to my brother (via CNET) and after helping him install I can’t get HDR10 to trigger. Can anyone confirm that VUDU doesn’t support the E series streaming in HDR? I logged into my Netflix and was able to get HDR10 on the punisher so the TV is using HDR. I feel bad now recommending something that doesn’t include Dolby Vision (wtf?) and one that isn’t supported via streaming apps. I have an LG OLED so I’m accustomed to having all of this settled.
post #9 of 50 Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Odd issue for me. Not sure if it's the E-Series firmware, or a Google Home issue.

We have personalization on our Home, so when I ask for 'OK Google, Play Holiday Playlist' it plays *my* playlist - when my wife asks for 'Holiday Playlist' - it plays *her* holiday playlist, and my Daughter - well, you get the idea.

Both my wife and I have paid Play Music subscriptions, my Daughter is using the free service.

After binding the Home to a Vizio E-series (E50-E3) as the associated audio device - if I ask for Home to play my playlist the TV turns on, Play music starts and it spins trying to start playing. It never succeeds.
Same when my Wife tries - it never succeeds.

However, when my Daughter tries - it works perfectly.

It seems the issue is only when playing from a paid Play Music subscription. The free Play music works fine. The same issue exists on my other Vizio E-series (an E70-E3 with a Home Mini setup as the associated device).

Is anyone else having such an issue? I've verified I'm on the latest firmware for everything..
post #10 of 50 Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Arv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher M Gareri View Post

My biggest problem is getting the picture right..if anyone can help that would be great thanks...
I used the settings from rtings. I believe its close enough without actually using a calibration tool on your set. Looks great on movies shot on film in a dimmed room but for video and daytime viewing I switch to a cooler temp. and bump up the backlight.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Anyone with a better suggestion for calibrating the set please let us know. Thanks!
post #11 of 50 Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arv View Post
I used the settings from rtings. I believe its close enough without actually using a calibration tool on your set. Looks great on movies shot on film in a dimmed room but for video and daytime viewing I switch to a cooler temp. and bump up the backlight.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Anyone with a better suggestion for calibrating the set please let us know. Thanks!
This is what I did as well. I did back out a few settings after for personal preference. For 800..its a great set.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #12 of 50 Old 02-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 5
This 70 inch model is $999 right now and I was curious if the community still thinks it is worth it. Im trying to shoot for a 70inch 4k model and it seems like its the current best deal, but sadly after going to 3 best buys in my area none of them had the damned remote for me to toggle the settings and play with it. I like the soap opera, high frame rate effect and was interesting in knowing how it looks on this model. Any impressions at all in the 2018 market sub $999 is appreciated and how it fairs at the moment.
post #13 of 50 Old 02-27-2018, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the firmware release notes and saw that 3 of the E series TVs are not HDR capable. I happen to have the E65u-D3. Is this the case? Does anyone know why the E65u-D3, E50 and I believe E80 are not HDR capable. I bought it knowing it didn't have HDR but I would have paid the extra to get the E70 or may have just got the E60 if I had known that HDR was a firmware upgrade away. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #14 of 50 Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Kind of a quiet thread so hopefully someone has the answer...

I've got some 70" Vizio E-Series (E70-E3) displays & I'm a bit confused because I read that these had an update that enabled HDR10. When I go into the menu, under system information it says "HDR: NO" so I'm confused... Shouldn't that say "YES" if it does indeed have HDR enabled? The firmware version looks to be the latest based on comparing the display's version to what the website claims to be the latest: 3.4.8.15

Is this only for HDMI attached devices that are HDR capable or something? We mostly use built-in apps & I was under the impression that apps such as Netflix would also offer some HDR content.

Any help?

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #15 of 50 Old 03-19-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5620 Post(s)
Liked: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
Kind of a quiet thread so hopefully someone has the answer...

I've got some 70" Vizio E-Series (E70-E3) displays & I'm a bit confused because I read that these had an update that enabled HDR10. When I go into the menu, under system information it says "HDR: NO" so I'm confused... Shouldn't that say "YES" if it does indeed have HDR enabled? The firmware version looks to be the latest based on comparing the display's version to what the website claims to be the latest: 3.4.8.15

Is this only for HDMI attached devices that are HDR capable or something? We mostly use built-in apps & I was under the impression that apps such as Netflix would also offer some HDR content.

Any help?
With Netflix you have to have the 4 screen plan which includes 4k content and HDR. You should also see it with Vudu UHD content and now maybe Amazon using SmartCast. I know the 2017 M and P series got Amazon HDR, I'm not sure if the E-Series was included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #16 of 50 Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
With Netflix you have to have the 4 screen plan which includes 4k content and HDR. You should also see it with Vudu UHD content and now maybe Amazon using SmartCast. I know the 2017 M and P series got Amazon HDR, I'm not sure if the E-Series was included.
I'm talking about the display's main menu settings where it says HDR: No. Shouldn't that say yes as in enabled regardless of current content input or does it have to actively have HDR input to display Yes?

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #17 of 50 Old 03-21-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5620 Post(s)
Liked: 3791
It will only say yes when you are watching HDR content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #18 of 50 Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Arv

Quote:
Quote:
I'm talking about the display's main menu settings where it says HDR: No. Shouldn't that say yes as in enabled regardless of current content input or does it have to actively have HDR input to display Yes?
Sorry for the late reply but see post #4 . Should see HDR10/2160P when watching HDR10 material both when you hit Info and in the system menu. No DoVi support.
jeremyhelling likes this.
post #19 of 50 Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arv View Post
Sorry for the late reply but see post #4 . Should see HDR10/2160P when watching HDR10 material both when you hit Info and in the system menu. No DoVi support.
So I need to feed it some HDR content to see this display HDR: Yes. Got it. That clears it up for me then.

Thanks!

Jer

post #20 of 50 Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Arv

Quote:
So I need to feed it some HDR content to see this display HDR: Yes. Got it. That clears it up for me then.

Thanks!
I'm glad we cleared that up for you but I assure you that you were not the only one confused about this.
jeremyhelling likes this.
post #21 of 50 Old 04-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 46
nonsense

Quote:
It makes no sense that they would fail to include the Amazon HDR certification for 2016 M Series tvs. It's basically the same tv (except the change in dimming zones).

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || LG UBK80 || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160 Crown XLI1500
post #22 of 50 Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Looks like they failed to include the amazon hdr certification on the 2017 E Series also... man in the high castle is playing in 4K but not hdr. Hdr is working in vudu and has always worked for me in Netflix. YouTube still has no hdr support.

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || LG UBK80 || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160 Crown XLI1500
post #23 of 50 Old 05-12-2018, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Will the provided remote control for the E65-E1 access all the setup menus and options for calibration or do you need the app for that?

Thanks.
post #24 of 50 Old 05-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Arranging apps?

I just purchased a E70-E3 from Sam's Club. This is my first UHD and it is replacing a 13-year-old JVC 52" HD-ILA 720P TV. I used to use a Roku on my old TV but with the exception of DirecTV Now, I may not need it. My biggest issue with Vizio's SmartCast is I do NOT like the way the apps are arranged. My most used app is Plex, followed by Netflix and Amazon. I have DirecTV Now, but it doesn't appear there is an app for that, so I'm having to use my iPhone to Chromecast it the TV. My remote has 6 quick app buttons on it, but none of them are Plex, my most used app. Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange apps in my preferred order and hide apps I have no interest in? How about re-purpose the quick app buttons from a service I don't use to Plex? I maintain a Plex Media Server with hundreds of hours of television programs and over 600 Blu-ray movie titles, which is why Plex is my most used app.
post #25 of 50 Old 05-15-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post
I just purchased a E70-E3 from Sam's Club. This is my first UHD and it is replacing a 13-year-old JVC 52" HD-ILA 720P TV. I used to use a Roku on my old TV but with the exception of DirecTV Now, I may not need it. My biggest issue with Vizio's SmartCast is I do NOT like the way the apps are arranged. My most used app is Plex, followed by Netflix and Amazon. I have DirecTV Now, but it doesn't appear there is an app for that, so I'm having to use my iPhone to Chromecast it the TV. My remote has 6 quick app buttons on it, but none of them are Plex, my most used app. Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange apps in my preferred order and hide apps I have no interest in? How about re-purpose the quick app buttons from a service I don't use to Plex? I maintain a Plex Media Server with hundreds of hours of television programs and over 600 Blu-ray movie titles, which is why Plex is my most used app.
Similar boat here and scroll all the way to the Plex app every time we power one of these TVs on is annoying. I tried to no avail to get a "Plex" remote code as ideally my Harmony remotes would just power on and launch Plex automatically after we hit that activity but this also yielded no fruit. I contacted both Harmony & then Vizio and got nowhere. Vizio gave me a few unknown codes to try but none of them worked. At minimum I'd love to be able to rearrange the app icons on the homescreen of our E70-E3.

FYI, I'd also love if Plex would update their Vizio app to allow me to stream live TV and other newer features like the app on my Xbox One and Pixel.

Jer

post #26 of 50 Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Similar boat here and scroll all the way to the Plex app every time we power one of these TVs on is annoying. I tried to no avail to get a "Plex" remote code as ideally my Harmony remotes would just power on and launch Plex automatically after we hit that activity but this also yielded no fruit. I contacted both Harmony & then Vizio and got nowhere. Vizio gave me a few unknown codes to try but none of them worked. At minimum I'd love to be able to rearrange the app icons on the homescreen of our E70-E3.

FYI, I'd also love if Plex would update their Vizio app to allow me to stream live TV and other newer features like the app on my Xbox One and Pixel.
Would I be better off just using my Roku Ultra instead of using Vizio's SmartCast system? Anyone doing that here? Is there any advantage to SmartCast over Roku Ultra? I was thinking it might be nice to not have additional hardware and another remote, but maybe it might be better to just use the Roku.
post #27 of 50 Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post
Would I be better off just using my Roku Ultra instead of using Vizio's SmartCast system? Anyone doing that here? Is there any advantage to SmartCast over Roku Ultra? I was thinking it might be nice to not have additional hardware and another remote, but maybe it might be better to just use the Roku.
The only potential negatives I can see are 1) having another "input" to deal with and 2) video resolution. Not sure if your Roku has any resolution limitations or how this compares with the built-in software apps but that's something to consider when making your decision.

Jer

post #28 of 50 Old 05-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The only potential negatives I can see are 1) having another "input" to deal with and 2) video resolution. Not sure if your Roku has any resolution limitations or how this compares with the built-in software apps but that's something to consider when making your decision.
The Roku Ultra does UHD/HDR and upscaling, so I don't think the resolution will be an issue. It looks like it does both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, so it doesn't look like I'll be missing anything in color depth.
post #29 of 50 Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Arv

2017 E Series ARC -does it support Atmos/DD+

Does the 2017 E Series ARC support Atmos/DD+? Assuming what I'm streaming from Smartcast/Roku/Fire has an Atmos soundtrack and supported by the device would the ARC pass that through to my X4300H? 4K player is directly connected to AVR so that's not an issue. Thanks.
post #30 of 50 Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Arv

I think I found the generic answer regarding ARC

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav...-over-hdmi-arc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version