Official 2017 TCL S Series (55S405) Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #121 of 138 Old 12-29-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkygn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
I have been looking for a 49-50" tv to replace an older 42" 1080p TV. I keep coming back to the TCL but also looking at the Hisense R7E. In the TCL side I had been leaning towards the 5 series, but the Dolby Vision issues make me hesitant. So looking at the 4 series compared to the Hisense R7E, they look about the same on paper (HDR10 support and Roku). Wanted to see if anyone looked at them both and has any advice? Maybe thoughts on the 4 series and 5 series? Thanks.

Wait -- the S405s have Dolby Vision now? When did that happen? That's a heck of a firmware update! I thought they only supported HDR10...
Actually no. I said the 5 series had DV but I see reports of issues. Then I mention the 4 series with only HDR10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've tried two S series units now - a 43S405 and a 43S403 - and both have emitted an audible hum when powered on. I've tried muting the TV, turning the speakers off, just using a sound bar, everything I can think of, but it was present on both units. It was even loud enough to be heard over my soundbar when I was watching a quiet show.

Is this normal? It seems like it's a hum from the electrical components being powered up, but I didn't expect it to be so loud. I can hear it from ~5 feet away. It's not high pitched like I'd normally expect from capacitor squeal either - like maybe it's really loud coil whine?
post #123 of 138 Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
i picked up the 65” 423 from Costco a little over a week ago. this replaced. 55” 1080p Insignia set so i’m pretty happy with it. i did have a bit of buyers remorse for not getting the 5 but after doing more reading i feel solid in my choice. i do see a difference (albeit not night and day but noticeable) in hdr content vs regular 4k content so that is a nice surprise.

I calibrated my set using a blu ray player an the Avia guide to home theater dvd( and oldie but a goodie!). set looks great but my question is how can i run calibration for the hdr modes since i can’t seem to figure out a way to display similar test patterns in hdr. is the assumption that the settings in non hdr should be the same as hdr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 138 Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I calibrated my set using a blu ray player an the Avia guide to home theater dvd( and oldie but a goodie!). set looks great but my question is how can i run calibration for the hdr modes since i can’t seem to figure out a way to display similar test patterns in hdr. is the assumption that the settings in non hdr should be the same as hdr?

I have not tried the HDR10 stuff. If you come across HDR10 contents let us know.
post #125 of 138 Old 01-24-2019, 06:06 PM

So I got the 43S405. It works great both as a TV and PC monitor.

I calibrated it with Calman & i1Display Pro. It is fairly accurate, but not as accurate as the one rtings.com was able to obtain.

One big issue was the Gamma setting. I had to set the gamma to 2.4 for the calibration to come close, for both white balance and color. However, the gamma still seems too high and I am unable to get the blue tone down.

The white balance adjustment was especially challenging, values went to the extreme range (~255) and I cannot adjust the green because it would mess up gamma.

Another issue is with the latest roku firmware update, using the * menu would cause the screen to flicker with noise in 4k. Roku knows the issue but have not fixed it.

If anyone else have the gamma issue please let me know your experiences.
post #126 of 138 Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Glad to see similar results with calibration. I just bought a 65S405 from target and used HCFR and a Spyder5 meter. My results are similar to yours. I left Gamma at 2.2 and used low power mode as the picture mode, sharpness 20 and color at 45. I also use brighter and brightness was good at 50 and contrast at 100. I got it pretty flat up to 40ire and then had issues beginning at 50ire. If i made the radical -255 for blue it impacted the 40ire too much. I decided to jump up to 100ire and tame the blue. Red was low all the way across the board for me. I couldn't get red to increase at all in the higher ire windows. I bet because I'm maxing it out for light output. I was able to tame the blue down to 70 ire and then i have a bump with 60ire and 50ire that i just couldn't fix.... For the price/performance I'll live with it. This tv is for the kids anyways that are only 6 and 3. I have Samsung ks8000 and a ks8500 in the other rooms for tv watching which have better hdr for sure.
post #127 of 138 Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Glad to see similar results with calibration. I just bought a 65S405 from target and used HCFR and a Spyder5 meter. My results are similar to yours. ...
For the price/performance I'll live with it. This tv is for the kids anyways that are only 6 and 3. I have Samsung ks8000 and a ks8500 in the other rooms for tv watching which have better hdr for sure.
Yes I agree the value is definitely there. I can still tune it to acceptable levels. My 11 Pt WB is -100 from 40% ~ 100%, and drops to -50 at 5%. 0's for Red & Green for now, seems to be a good balance.

I can tune red & blue up to 90%, and 80% for Green. At 90% blue I had to adjust 60% blue's value for it to move, hence the -100 values for the upper half. Lower parts of the gray I had to average between the adjacent brackets. If I try to adjust the lower grays with green luminance, all the black details would disappear. So I just make the blue & red close to the value of the green.

I left the brightness at normal, 80 back light, 85 contrast. The only thing I couldn't get around is the gamma...
oscar47 likes this.
post #128 of 138 Old 02-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just setup a brand new 43s403 display and noticing a noticeable sound from it, like a buzz/hum it's not super loud but definitely noticeable in a quiet room even being 4-6 feet away. Seems to be when the screen is on, when the screen is off even during a restart I don't notice the sound. Did some testing and if I switch the screen brightness the noise is either louder (high brighters) or lower (darker).

My questions is this normal to the brand or have others noticed it and it goes away? I'm ready to pack it up and send it back but like to hear from others first.

This is on the standard roku screen with no other devices plugged in or on. I tried a different plug also.

Last edited by Briant73; 02-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #129 of 138 Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
Just setup a brand new 43s403 display and noticing a noticeable sound from it, like a buzz/hum it's not super loud but definitely noticeable in a quiet room even being 4-6 feet away. Seems to be when the screen is on, when the screen is off even during a restart I don't notice the sound. Did some testing and if I switch the screen brightness the noise is either louder (high brighters) or lower (darker).

My questions is this normal to the brand or have others noticed it and it goes away? I'm ready to pack it up and send it back but like to hear from others first.

This is on the standard roku screen with no other devices plugged in or on. I tried a different plug also.
Just an update took TV back and exchange for a different TCL, the replacement tv has no audible hum issue. Edge lighting issues yes but no hum.
post #130 of 138 Old 02-10-2019, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exclamation 55S425 Accidentally enabled Local Dimming in secret menu.

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and hoping somebody out there can help me with a horrible problem I am experiencing. So to begin I bought the TV last week and was extremely disappointed with the Dolby Vision performance on Netflix. I searched google for a little until I encountered someone saying something about a secret menu and local dimming.

I entered the secret menu by pressing Home 5x, <<, pause, >>, pause, <<. There was an option in there to install local dimming firmware. I was stupefied after installing when I saw bright horizontal lines going across the screen only in the upper 80%. I'm assuming that local dimming software was not made for this model TV. OK, so I went back into the secret menu and set local dimming to off but the lines still appear when viewing content. Now I begun to look for a way to uninstall the software but it wasn't in the menu.

I tried doing a factory reset to no avail. I even loaded a stock firmware update from Roku's usb update site but the TV says the firmware is not a valid file. I'm thinking that the actual firmware number got changed to that of another TV thus not allowing me to install an update file from the actual model.

My options now are to hopefully find someone out there who can help me with this problem, or return the TV where I bought it since I've only had it for a week.
post #131 of 138 Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 285
post #132 of 138 Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by chen5441 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and hoping somebody out there can help me with a horrible problem I am experiencing. So to begin I bought the TV last week and was extremely disappointed with the Dolby Vision performance on Netflix. I searched google for a little until I encountered someone saying something about a secret menu and local dimming.

I entered the secret menu by pressing Home 5x, <<, pause, >>, pause, <<. There was an option in there to install local dimming firmware. I was stupefied after installing when I saw bright horizontal lines going across the screen only in the upper 80%. I'm assuming that local dimming software was not made for this model TV. OK, so I went back into the secret menu and set local dimming to off but the lines still appear when viewing content. Now I begun to look for a way to uninstall the software but it wasn't in the menu.

I tried doing a factory reset to no avail. I even loaded a stock firmware update from Roku's usb update site but the TV says the firmware is not a valid file. I'm thinking that the actual firmware number got changed to that of another TV thus not allowing me to install an update file from the actual model.

My options now are to hopefully find someone out there who can help me with this problem, or return the TV where I bought it since I've only had it for a week.
See if you can find a way to do a full factory reset on the unit. Honestly, you should eat this set if you can't fix it. You actively caused this by doing something you clearly had no business messing with and in a menu that's hidden for good reason.
post #133 of 138 Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wark View Post
I've tried two S series units now - a 43S405 and a 43S403 - and both have emitted an audible hum when powered on. I've tried muting the TV, turning the speakers off, just using a sound bar, everything I can think of, but it was present on both units. It was even loud enough to be heard over my soundbar when I was watching a quiet show.

Is this normal? It seems like it's a hum from the electrical components being powered up, but I didn't expect it to be so loud. I can hear it from ~5 feet away. It's not high pitched like I'd normally expect from capacitor squeal either - like maybe it's really loud coil whine?
My 43s403 had the same issue. Took it back and replaced with a 43s423 which was quiet but had some display issues near the edge.
Wark likes this.
post #134 of 138 Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
My 43s403 had the same issue. Took it back and replaced with a 43s423 which was quiet but had some display issues near the edge.
Thanks for the confirmation on the noise! What kind of display issues did you have with the 43S423 an were you able to resolve them? I was thinking I might exchange my 43S403 at Costco for that model.
post #135 of 138 Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wark View Post
Thanks for the confirmation on the noise! What kind of display issues did you have with the 43S423 an were you able to resolve them? I was thinking I might exchange my 43S403 at Costco for that model.
Yeah the hum was loud enough that it was noticeable in a quiet room. Seemed to get louder/softer depending if the screen was bright or dark. As for the replacement both side edges had like a 1" lighter area top to bottom noticeable in most scenes . Adjustments didn't work, thought maybe bad panel took it back and noticed the 49" TCL on display showed the same issue. This was when viewing from more than 4 feet away. Up close it wasn't as noticeable. First was a 43s403 and second was 43s423.

I gave up for now on getting a TV unless there is a great deal.
Wark likes this.
post #136 of 138 Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah the hum was loud enough that it was noticeable in a quiet room. Seemed to get louder/softer depending if the screen was bright or dark. As for the replacement both side edges had like a 1" lighter area top to bottom noticeable in most scenes . Adjustments didn't work, thought maybe bad panel took it back and noticed the 49" TCL on display showed the same issue. This was when viewing from more than 4 feet away. Up close it wasn't as noticeable. First was a 43s403 and second was 43s423.

I gave up for now on getting a TV unless there is a great deal.
Thank you for the detailed information! I'll take a look at the display sets at my Costco to see if they're doing the same thing, but I suspect I'll be in the same boat as you you as far as just giving up for now on getting a new set. At least Costco has a good return policy.
post #137 of 138 Old 05-18-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ra-effect.html

"..The issue is with the refresh rate and the "Soap Opera effect." The TV is advertised at 120Hz, but technically it native 60Hz and only achieves 120Hz through generated frames using what they call ClearMotion (effective 120Hz). Because it is native 60Hz, you would *think* that you wouldn't get the "soap opera effect." And, indeed it is still relatively minor (akin to my Vizio's "motion smoothing" on the lowest settings - but not off). However, there is no way to control this "ClearMotion" option - it can't be turned off. It seemingly just intelligently decides how to insert them.
Again, it seems to do a pretty good job with this, but if you are very sensitive to the motion smoothing (as I am), this isn't the TV for you.

Stick with 60Hz, or ensure that the model you are getting allows the motion smoothing (and any other post-processing options) to be disabled entirely."

I guess it can't be turned off?

It's been a year for the Series 4 so I guess they don't have plans to add an option to remove this.

This set seems almost perfect for budget SDR gaming. So close TCL. So close.

I wasn't sure at first on what it was but it really seems like soap opera effect as it produces a weird hitching that almost looks like a vertical sync issue but not quite.

Here's what SoE is:

https://youtu.be/B_dE6HPIAJM?t=35

The test is done with a PS4 both TVs on game mode and set to PC/computer for the inputs.

TCL has been tested with input renamed to others. It still has the jitters regardless.

Here's an old IPS 1080p LG without it. Each frame looks clean with smooth transition thus no jittering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXM6...ature=youtu.be

Here's the TCL 65" S4 (65S4):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9rAg8CiFE

Here's the LG with TruMotion set to low and almost completely replicates the jittering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHo-CiwNy8

PS:

I have no idea how to make a better comparison. No background in proper video editing.
Thanks for the videos. Excellent work. I notice the same issue in the Store and that kills the deal for any TCL. I need the motion smoothing.

Coming from a Plasma Panny owner. The only perfect TV ever made.
post #138 of 138 Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I just picked up a 55S425 from Amazon but I am getting a large amount of bleed through on dark scenes (see picture). Anyone have any ideas on settings to decrease this or is this set borked? The picture looks worse then in person but still annoying and noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_141715.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	2583584  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page