Taking delivery of Samsung Frame TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Taking delivery of Samsung Frame TV

Hi folks; I'm taking delivery of a 55 Inch Samsung Frame TV on Friday. Its really a good fit for us, but I'm surprised that there aren't many experiences reflected in this forum (at least that I can find).

The price: My wife got a great deal on this through a work discount and it was just too good to pass up. Still expensive compared to other 55" tv's but we really liked the design.

1. Any others out there that can share their experience with this display?
2. Any solutions for similarly slick audio solutions for the TV?
3. Is anyone interested in my experience with the TV? I'd be glad to share if so...

cheers.

https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-buye...ung-the-frame/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-28-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 552
post #3 of 51 Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

This is the most pertinent thread to potentially discuss this TV, I believe. I took delivery of the 43" yesterday and the primary complaint on the amazon reviews is no where to be seen for me. I'm currently viewing a slideshow of both the built-in artwork and also my sync'd google photos account galleries which were selected. I can't though seem to choose an order nor isolate it to either built in or my own.

I find the shadowbox configuration particularly attractive on the artwork and the false matte is an interesting combination for the lighting in my room. I have it currently sitting on it's stand until we decide on final placement.

Overall I'm quite pleased so far though I could not get wired internet to work and only established connectivity wirelessly on an otherwise normally functioning switch for any other device.

Krbuck I guess you have five or six weeks now - any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So what MU series is this Frame TV equivalent to? I was interested in this TV for my living room before I decided to get the MU8000. I was looking for a TV to "blend in" with our living room environment.

Congrats on your new TV! Would love to see pics of how you set it up in your room.

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
post #5 of 51 Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but searching around for The Frame and/or the specific model numbers I didn't find much else.

Just wanted to comment that I have received and installed the 55" model of the 2018 version of Samsung Frame TV (UN55LS03N), which appears to be similar but not identical to the NU8000. I have not done much tweaking/calibrating, I will be doing that this weekend, but initial impressions are good as far as both a TV and the "art" aspect. I have it in a room with 2 doorwalls so ambient light is an issue, but I don't find it to be a problem.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the TV, install, wants to see pics, etc., as again I didn't see much info here.

Thanks,
Matt

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #6 of 51 Old 10-23-2018, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
Sorry to dig up an older thread, but searching around for The Frame and/or the specific model numbers I didn't find much else.

Just wanted to comment that I have received and installed the 55" model of the 2018 version of Samsung Frame TV (UN55LS03N), which appears to be similar but not identical to the NU8000. I have not done much tweaking/calibrating, I will be doing that this weekend, but initial impressions are good as far as both a TV and the "art" aspect. I have it in a room with 2 doorwalls so ambient light is an issue, but I don't find it to be a problem.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the TV, install, wants to see pics, etc., as again I didn't see much info here.

Thanks,
Matt
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this TV. I'm also considering it, but also had trouble finding anything about it from this forum. So your experience would be much appreciated.
post #7 of 51 Old 10-25-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droobage View Post
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this TV. I'm also considering it, but also had trouble finding anything about it from this forum. So your experience would be much appreciated.
Well my experience with the set is pretty limited, and I guess I am mixed. But this is mainly due to the fact that the first set I received, I installed, config'ed, etc, had 1 full day of TV viewing on a Sunday, and the following day the panel would not stay powered on. Verified everything was good on my end, tried a couple of things with Samsung, and they said they would have to send a tech out to repair. I ended up just returning it, and getting another one. In that time, I had read various posts about similar issues. This new one seems to have no issues.

So aside from that, and focusing on the set itself, I'm really happy with it. Most of what we watch on it is Xfinity, and after a couple of picture adjustments it's the best looking set in our house. I watched a bit of The Last Jedi last night to check out 4K/HDR content, and it looked great. The art aspect is pretty cool, although I'm still playing with it to see how bright it should be in that mode, the warmth of the art, how long it should be displayed, etc., all of which is adjustable.

There is only one thin cable connecting the panel to the One Connect box, I would compare the size and feel to an optical audio cable. The flush wall mount included is nicely designed, and slight adjustments are easy to ensure it's level. The connection of the One Connect cable on the panel is designed so that the cable exits at the bottom of the display, and it's visible on the exterior of the wall. With a little measuring twice and cutting in the drywall once, my cable is routed down the wall in to our basement, where the One Connect box sits. I'm assuming it's an RF remote, as I have no issues with controls.

I took a couple of quick picks yesterday. I will say there is a slight gap at the top of the mount with this set, and I don't remember it on my first one, but it's only noticeable if you're looking for it.

FYI, I purchase mine via the Shop Samsung app on my phone, I would encourage looking at pricing there if you are buying.

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181024_180403.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	840.7 KB
ID:	2473348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181024_180422.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	2473350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181024_180537.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2473352  

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
post #8 of 51 Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Greatm was looking for a post like this. Looking at the 65" which is now $2,100 on sale. Was looking to do the STUDIO eisel stand too. Anyone do it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung-Studio-Stand.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	2473362   Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung-55-tv-stand-interesting-studio-tv-stand-vg-stsm11bxc-tv-tripod-stand-of-samsung-55-tv-st.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	2473364  

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #9 of 51 Old 10-25-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No experience with the easel stand, but again be sure to check out the Shop Samsung app for better pricing..

post #10 of 51 Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Comparing the 2018 frame TV vs the 2018 Q7, doesn't the Q7 outperform the frame? DIfferences? I was told this .

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #11 of 51 Old 11-14-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Comparing the 2018 frame TV vs the 2018 Q7, doesn't the Q7 outperform the frame? DIfferences? I was told this .
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...!threshold*0.1

The Q7 is a QLED, so yes it should outperform The Frame.

post #12 of 51 Old 11-14-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

The Q7 is a QLED, so yes it should outperform The Frame.
Oh!!! The frame isn't a Qled? THen that's prob a big difference! I thought it was the Quantum dot, guess not.

EDIT, whoops, you put the 2017 Q7f in the comparo instead of the 2018. I fixed it I think?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Last edited by Jasonn B; 11-14-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #13 of 51 Old 02-12-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Thread deserves a bump; our Samsung Frame 65" circa 2017 that we bought in December has actually exceeded our expectations. PQ is outstanding--we'd been using a 50" UHD Vizio before which was very nice, had a full-array LED backlight, but the Frame beats it for sure, though I won't deny that the added picture size might be the primary reason for its impressing us so.

We mounted it to the wall perfectly flat, using the No Gap mount, and it has radically improved the Look of our great room. Where before an ugly TV, now a beautiful work of art! Had to get an Art Store subscription (of course!) although we don't fiddle much with it i.e. when we find a work that we like, we keep it up for many days at a time, according to mood and weather given our room's many windows.

The Art mode works wonderfully well--turn the DirecTV DVR off and the Frame reverts to Art Mode. Turn-on the DTV and ZVOX soundbar and the art fades away and TV snaps into place.

Some have complained that Art Mode is "too dark" but IMO it works as it should. The ambient light sensor adjusts the artwork so that it looks like artwork, which means Not To Pop like you want in a TV picture. Indeed I have found myself dialing-down the brightness so the artwork looks as natural as possible, but mostly I've learned to leave the thing alone and just enjoy it.

I hope Samsung has a marketing effort in place to business locations that have Waiting Rooms i.e. doctor, dentist, attorney, and the like where most of the time you want something on the wall that is soothing, but occasionally need to view a program or the weather channel or something like that.

We do in fact love our Frame so much that I am thinking of other rooms for other sizes of it. Very glad Samsung took a chance with this and hope they continue to sell and to promote it.
post #14 of 51 Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 2535
The thought of having a Picasso one day, and Modigliani the next, could interest me.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #15 of 51 Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Have been wondering just what features "The Frame" models have that the higher end Samsung models lack. Is it strictly the ability to add customized frame attachments as well as access to a larger database of art, and option to subscribe to an even greater database? Clearly the model is inferior through 2018 as they were not QLEDs, though I hear in 2019 they will be comparable to the entry level QLED models. And why wouldn't they let all Samsung owners have the option to buy into the database?
post #16 of 51 Old 02-12-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxs_dad View Post
Have been wondering just what features "The Frame" models have that the higher end Samsung models lack. Is it strictly the ability to add customized frame attachments as well as access to a larger database of art, and option to subscribe to an even greater database? Clearly the model is inferior through 2018 as they were not QLEDs, though I hear in 2019 they will be comparable to the entry level QLED models. And why wouldn't they let all Samsung owners have the option to buy into the database?
Good questions all; oddly there are no answers from Samsung on the 'net--I have looked everywhere including US community and also European community forums. It seems like Marketing 101 that somewhere they should have made a comparison chart of Frame vs Ambient vs Whatever...

I'm no expert--this is my one & only Samsung TV ever, but it seems at least that the Motion Detection feature and possibly the Ambient Light sensing might be unique. And while the Frame TVs share firmware with non-Frame sets, you need e.g. their SmartView and/or Smarthings apps to assert Art Mode settings! Can't do some of them from the onscreen GUI! FWIW too the add-on frames (white, black, walnut, etc) when put into place do release the Ambient and Motion sensors along the bottom edge of the set so that they pop-out and protrude beyond and continue to "see". Oh, and also the Frame appears to have some unique capabilities re: down-throttling the energy consumption, and avoiding too "burn-in" for these sets that truly are meant for all-day usage, though certainly not 24/7 afaict.

There was/is probably a small [lunatic] fringe of engineers and marketers in KR that got these things launched. I'm really glad they are doing it and hope the lineup expands for sure, and too that the Art Store thrives so we see more & varied art.

Last edited by Laserfan; 02-12-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #17 of 51 Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Looks like they have a soundbar option now:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/press-re...M3bWkaa-q-tpxY
oktoberrust11 likes this.
post #18 of 51 Old 08-31-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmanr2004 View Post
Looks like they have a soundbar option now:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/press-re...M3bWkaa-q-tpxY
Here's a link to the product page:

https://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/fusion-frame/

Seems like it comes in white or black; unfortunately I can find no pictures of the actual product mated with a Samsung Frame TV.

Last edited by Laserfan; 08-31-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #19 of 51 Old 08-31-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Here's a link to the product page:

https://www.nextlevelacoustics.com/fusion-frame/

Seems like it comes in white or black; unfortunately I can find no pictures of the actual product mated with a Samsung Frame TV.
i think they posted a few mockups and i would suspect as the reviews come out / more pics they will be posting them. I looked around on their site and they usually post a lot of dealer / client installs so i would expect those to be coming soon. The mockups look like it was made for the TV.
post #20 of 51 Old 10-23-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Slideshow on Frame

I am looking to buy the Frame TV for the lobby of my office at work. We would like the Frame to display a constant slideshow of images (ideally we would store these on a thumb drive). We want the slide show to repeat all day long. Does anyone know if this is possible on the Frame and how it is done? Thanks!
post #21 of 51 Old 10-23-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oddly, while at least one Samsung spec sheet for 2018 models shows and describes an Art Mode Slide Show ("Program The Frame to display a fresh image as often as you like.") my own 2017 Frame does not do this, and the User Manuals for both 2018 and now 2019 models do not have any reference to such a mode anywhere. Even more oddly, I think other Samsung TVs have an Ambient Mode that might do this (Frames do not have Ambient Mode functionality), but AFAICT from visiting Samsung's user forums, the Frame buyers who expected such are not finding it.

I think for an office lobby there are many commercial displays that will run all day long and do what you want, but they tend to be Commercial Displays that are made for such service (including the slide show features you want).
post #22 of 51 Old 10-23-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 2535
Re Art Mode.

"Samsung’s The Frame to Feature Masterpieces From the State Hermitage Museum through 'The Art Store' "

Quote:
Samsung Electronics announced today its partnership with the State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, which will provide digital versions of the Museum’s artwork to Samsung’s virtual Art Store on its lifestyle TV, The Frame. The State Hermitage will be the first Russian museum to feature its pieces in the Art Store collection, which is available to The Frame owners all over the world.

As of today, Samsung’s Art Store, offers more than 1,200 works by famous artists and photographers, including Cezanne, Monet, Bosch, Klimt, Van Gogh and many more. The Frame’s Art Store also includes artworks from world-renowned museums and galleries such as the Prado, the Albertina, the Tate, the Uffizi, the Victoria and Albert Museum, Magnum Photos, and LUMAS.
https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...-the-art-store

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #23 of 51 Old 10-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Oddly, while at least one Samsung spec sheet for 2018 models shows and describes an Art Mode Slide Show ("Program The Frame to display a fresh image as often as you like.") my own 2017 Frame does not do this, and the User Manuals for both 2018 and now 2019 models do not have any reference to such a mode anywhere. Even more oddly, I think other Samsung TVs have an Ambient Mode that might do this (Frames do not have Ambient Mode functionality), but AFAICT from visiting Samsung's user forums, the Frame buyers who expected such are not finding it.

I think for an office lobby there are many commercial displays that will run all day long and do what you want, but they tend to be Commercial Displays that are made for such service (including the slide show features you want).
Thanks for the information. This is disappointing. I really like the look of the Frame over a regular flat screen or commercial display. Was hoping it would do that, considering that seems to be what they are going for with this TV.
post #24 of 51 Old 10-24-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9000 View Post
Thanks for the information. This is disappointing. I really like the look of the Frame over a regular flat screen or commercial display. Was hoping it would do that, considering that seems to be what they are going for with this TV.
Well it seems I am wrong, at least about the newer sets, apparently maybe even the 2018 Frames with newest firmware. Here is a Samsung page about it:

https://news.samsung.com/global/the-...and-technology

A discussion online indicates lots of confusion not only among users, but with Samsung support as well. But it does seem to work after all though apparently involves some fiddling for sure:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ow/td-p/873796

You'll want to download the User Manual linked in this thread and study pages 12 and 13 at least.

I have always believed The Frame offered an ideal setup for an office lobby, e.g. a doctor or lawyer or what-have-you, where you simply press On in the morning and artwork appears and is shown all day. Then if one forgets to turn it off or if it gets dark (settings for these) it goes off by itself. If breaking news or some other need arises the office can switch to TV of course. Your idea takes this a step further by enabling an office to show company-friendly (advertising!) images.

If you get one by all means come-back here and let us know how it works out for you!
post #25 of 51 Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Well it seems I am wrong, at least about the newer sets, apparently maybe even the 2018 Frames with newest firmware. Here is a Samsung page about it:

https://news.samsung.com/global/the-...and-technology

A discussion online indicates lots of confusion not only among users, but with Samsung support as well. But it does seem to work after all though apparently involves some fiddling for sure:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ow/td-p/873796

You'll want to download the User Manual linked in this thread and study pages 12 and 13 at least.

I have always believed The Frame offered an ideal setup for an office lobby, e.g. a doctor or lawyer or what-have-you, where you simply press On in the morning and artwork appears and is shown all day. Then if one forgets to turn it off or if it gets dark (settings for these) it goes off by itself. If breaking news or some other need arises the office can switch to TV of course. Your idea takes this a step further by enabling an office to show company-friendly (advertising!) images.

If you get one by all means come-back here and let us know how it works out for you!
Thanks for your help! It looks like this should work for us. I'll let you know if we end up getting it!
Laserfan likes this.
post #26 of 51 Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9000 View Post
Thanks for your help! It looks like this should work for us. I'll let you know if we end up getting it!
FWIW it seems the Frames have been on sale lately, but I have an email from Samsung sez: "...QLED 8K sale starts 11/10 and Frame QLED sale starts 11/17. Available at participating retailers for a limited time." This is "on 2019 models only".

I have gotten two Frames via Amazon/Woot and iirc they shipped FedEx and no problems for me to deploy. But the obvious way to buy in your case might be from Best Buy where they can install and stand-behind the product and installation.
post #27 of 51 Old 11-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got my 2019 The Frame 55" for cheap and already mounted it above my fireplace mantle. It's nice for family portraits. I previously had a Netgear Meural Frame and it's only 27" in size and looked puny above the fireplace.
Laserfan likes this.
post #28 of 51 Old 11-07-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'll chime in and say that our 2017 model exceeded our expectations to the point we bought another 2019 model for a different location. The 2019 model does indeed have a better slideshow mode and it is a QLED. I also have to add that the new one only uses one small cord that handles both power and connection from video sources from the one connect box, the 2017 model had two cords as the TV and the one connect box both needed power from the wall separately as well as the small connection cable. It also sounds darn good for a TV and it really helps if you need to use it really as a piece of "art" and not a home theater display.

Our first one ended up in a little used but centrally located area (living room) and really looks like an artwork most of the time. We mostly read and listen to music in that room as we have a dedicated TV/family room, but we wanted to be able to put on a game or movie while we cook as the kitchen opens to that room. However, we definitely did not want that room to have a "TV" in it. It has been really great for that purpose. So, while redoing our bedroom, we decided to add one there and mount it like art as well but over a chest and we added a small soundbar as well. Looks great. The new one is definitely a step up also.

Hope that helps
Laserfan likes this.

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
4K HDR Cinema 106"@9ft w/5.4.2 Object Surround Sound and 6 Aura Bass Shakers

Last edited by larrimore; 11-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
post #29 of 51 Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I installed a 65" 2019 The Frame above the fireplace in our open-plan living room that's adjacent to the kitchen and dining area.

It looks especially great with the FramemyTV Deco TV frame.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #30 of 51 Old 11-20-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks great! Wait, is that a new frame? I don't remember that being a choice a few months back when I was looking out of the 3 choices. I went with the this instead as the frame tv wasn't going to work ontop of the floor to ceiling mirrors I have.

Nick V likes this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung frame

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page