Need TV with good auto scaling for various signals - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need TV with good auto scaling for various signals

I'm looking for a 55 to 60 inch TV hopefully under $1000 (preferably less) that does a good job auto-scaling inputs to fill the screen -- unfortunately 65 inch sets will not fit in our entertainment center.

Our Samsung 61 inch DLP set failed unexpectedly after many years of service – we purchased a 58 inch Samsung, UN58MU6100F… at Best Buy to replace it.

The problem we're having is that the set won't scale various input signals to full screen automatically. Yes, we did the 'Fit to Screen' dance getting it to show up and tried all the options we could think of on our major sources, a DirecTV box (both SD and HD content), a Sony BluRay player (DVD, BluRay, and streaming from local network from YouTube video to 4K), and an Amazon FIreTV (various formats), and on our receiver, a Yamaha RX-V679, and the bottom line is that we can figure out a sizing solution for each format but then when we change signals the sizing is all wrong. Readjusting picture size manually every time signal format changes is not an option. All of our 5 sources are connected to HDMI inputs on the Yamaha and the TV is fed from the 679's Monitor Out, and changing that setup is not an option either.

Our Samsung DLP set had no problem in this setup auto-scaling various input signals to full screen.
I have about 10 days left to find an alternative within the Best Buy return window. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by ggunnell; 01-02-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell View Post
I'm looking for a 55 to 60 inch TV hopefully under $1000 (preferably less) that does a good job auto-scaling inputs to fill the screen -- unfortunately 65 inch sets will not fit in our entertainment center.

Our Samsung 61 inch DLP set failed unexpectedly after many years of service – we purchased a 58 inch Samsung, UN58MU6100F… at Best Buy to replace it.

The problem we're having is that the set won't scale various input signals to full screen automatically. Yes, we did the 'Fit to Screen' dance getting it to show up and tried all the options we could think of on our major sources, a DirecTV box (both SD and HD content), a Sony BluRay player (DVD, BluRay, and streaming from local network from YouTube video to 4K), and an Amazon FIreTV (various formats), and on our receiver, a Yamaha RX-V679, and the bottom line is that we can figure out a sizing solution for each format but then when we change signals the sizing is all wrong. Readjusting picture size manually every time signal format changes is not an option. All of our 5 sources are connected to HDMI inputs on the Yamaha and the TV is fed from the 679's Monitor Out, and changing that setup is not an option either.

Our Samsung DLP set had no problem in this setup auto-scaling various input signals to full screen.
I have about 10 days left to find an alternative within the Best Buy return window. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Get the TCL 55P605 at Best Buy. It has some of the highest ratings for upscaling at rting and it is way below your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! -- the TCL 605/607 is highly rated overall.
Trouble is, rtings also rates the Samsung MU6100 as having good upscaling on a case by case basis. What I'm looking for (I wasn't clear) is automatic picture SIZING to fit the screen -- no black bars, no cut off more than a couple lines of overscan -- as the format of the input signal changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 1579
The SD content would be stretched if you want it to fit a widescreen TV. I guess you're okay with that?

Afro GT
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell View Post
Thanks! -- the TCL 605/607 is highly rated overall.
Trouble is, rtings also rates the Samsung MU6100 as having good upscaling on a case by case basis. What I'm looking for (I wasn't clear) is automatic picture SIZING to fit the screen -- no black bars, no cut off more than a couple lines of overscan -- as the format of the input signal changes.

I have the C series TCL and have it set to auto picture size and it has perfectly filled the screen with no over scan for everything I have thrown at it. Including blu rays, 480 p video from blue ray player, OTA (480 thru 1080), everything on you tube, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, afrogt, I would be willing to accept stretching, automatic resizing in either vertical or horizontal dimension, in order to acheive "fit to screen".
The Samsung MU6100 does not have the menu options I've had on other TV's, Wide, Auto Wide, Zoom, etc., it only has "Fit to Screen" and manual screen sizing, neither of which actually automatically 'scales' picture size to fit the screen as the signal format changes.

Tmein, that sounds like what I'm looking for -- TCL has more motion artifacts than some so I'm still looking but it may end up being my solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page