post #451 of 507 Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
Costco has the M series on their website as well. Wondering if they're going to be getting the P series in as well.
According to Noydcom, yes they will be at Costco
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post56141466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 507 Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
They are out, except the Vizio PQ. Check the main Vizio thread where there has been a lot of discussion.
Yes, I noticed that this thread had gone cold... after I posted. Still, I wonder why reviews are not up yet? I would think it would take no longer than ~ 1 week to do a solid TV review (esp by an experienced reviewer).

Thanks Planet!
--Myles
post #453 of 507 Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
more and more 2018 Vizio sets are becoming available now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 507 Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just had my P75-F1 delivered, won't be able to set it up until later tonight. Anything I should test out / look for in a first time setup?
post #455 of 507 Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Should this be merged with the main 2018 Vizio thread?
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #456 of 507 Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms08 View Post
I just had my P75-F1 delivered, won't be able to set it up until later tonight. Anything I should test out / look for in a first time setup?
A full-field white/gray evaluation would be nice. I liked my early 50" P-series, but the uniformity was not very good.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration
post #457 of 507 Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by D6500Ken View Post
A full-field white/gray evaluation would be nice. I liked my early 50" P-series, but the uniformity was not very good.

Ken Whitcomb
+1 to checking the uniformity, especially with it being a 75 inch panel. I would also suggest looking for purplish blacks with local dimming (Vizio calls it Xtreme Black Engine) enabled, both with the stock firmware as well as after updating firmware if applicable. Also check for a white line flicker issue which seems to have been reported by some owners of the P65.

If you're a gamer, I'm sure that other gamers would appreciate any subjective input lag feedback from you for both SDR and HDR gaming on inputs 1-4, as well as on input 5.

EDIT: I would also suggest that you post your thoughts on the main thread for the 2018 Vizios located here

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 06-18-2018 at 11:00 AM.
post #458 of 507 Old 07-08-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For those who have legacy equipment that outputs 480i through the composite video port, the P55-F1, P65-F1, and P75-F1 shared composite input is NOT supported…even though Vizio lists it in the User’s Manual specifications as “1 Composite (Shared)” and shows it on the TV. The manual also talks about using the “Wide” remote button for 480i material.

I confirmed this situation in several emails with Vizio tech support and talking with a manager in the “Executive Resolutions Team”. The statement I got from the tech persons and verified by the manager is “The ports we put on this model, is similar to what we would put on other VIZIO models. However, 480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays”. I said “but it worked on my Vizio P702ui-B3 4K TV.” And, he said, “But that is a much older model.”

Based on the user’s manual I bought the P75-F1 with expectations of using the composite input to show the setup menu and system status of my Anthem AVM-30 home theater audio processor/pre-amp for changing surround modes and adjust settings on the fly while watching various types of 2K and 4K videos and listening to music with background pictures on the TV. If the TV and manual show the input and talks about 480i it should be supported. Big disappointment.
post #459 of 507 Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestNM View Post
For those who have legacy equipment that outputs 480i through the composite video port, the P55-F1, P65-F1, and P75-F1 shared composite input is NOT supported…even though Vizio lists it in the User’s Manual specifications as “1 Composite (Shared)” and shows it on the TV. The manual also talks about using the “Wide” remote button for 480i material.

I confirmed this situation in several emails with Vizio tech support and talking with a manager in the “Executive Resolutions Team”. The statement I got from the tech persons and verified by the manager is “The ports we put on this model, is similar to what we would put on other VIZIO models. However, 480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays”. I said “but it worked on my Vizio P702ui-B3 4K TV.” And, he said, “But that is a much older model.”

Based on the user’s manual I bought the P75-F1 with expectations of using the composite input to show the setup menu and system status of my Anthem AVM-30 home theater audio processor/pre-amp for changing surround modes and adjust settings on the fly while watching various types of 2K and 4K videos and listening to music with background pictures on the TV. If the TV and manual show the input and talks about 480i it should be supported. Big disappointment.
Let me check on it for you.
leojj25 likes this.

Noyd Communications Inc. representing:
VIZIO, DVDO, 1MORE, Puro Sound Labs
post #460 of 507 Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
B&H shows the 65" P series 2018 as backordered until September. That's a really, really long time!
post #461 of 507 Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

Seems silly to even have a composite input if 480i is unsupported.
post #462 of 507 Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Seems silly to even have a composite input if 480i is unsupported.

It would seem that way. I asked them in the email the following questions which they never answered:

1) Then why do they state on page 46 of the User's Manual "1 Composite (Shared)" for the P55-F1, P65-F1, and P75-F1 TVs?

2) Why would they include a "Composite (Shared)" input if they don't support the 480i signal. A 480p signal does not work on a composite cable. You need full component video for that.

3) Why would they say " If you are using TV, AV, or Component with 480i input, press the button on the remote to change the screen mode" on page 44 of the User's Manual?

4) Can you show me ANY Vizio data sheet that says "480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays"?
post #463 of 507 Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 106
OK, you piqued my interest. My M65-E0 accepts composite (NTSC/RS-170a) video when connected to the green (Y, Luminance) component input.
post #464 of 507 Old 07-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
OK, you piqued my interest. My M65-E0 accepts composite (NTSC/RS-170a) video when connected to the green (Y, Luminance) component input.
Another thing the manager said over the phone was, “It may or may not display a 480i signal. But, we only support 480p on our 4K TVs.”

So, from the 9 email and 1 phone call exchanges, I have come to the conclusion that this is an unforeseen issue in the 2018 P-Series TVs and they do not want to expend resources to fix it since it will likely affect very few consumers.

However, although the manager said I “have a legitimate complaint” he would not admit that I had a valid reason to return the TV. He said his personal opinion was that this “is a minor issue.” I was totally flabbergasted at his contradictory statements and ended the conversation shortly afterwards. Their own User’s Manual and statements about 480i give me more than ample valid reason.
post #465 of 507 Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noydcom View Post
Let me check on it for you.
@Noydcom - Since you are the Public Relations Firm representing Vizio with connections to important technical people at Vizio, and it has been 8 days since you said “Let me check on it for you”, I guess you found out that what I said in my 3 posts above about my issues and conversations with Vizio tech support is true.

In reading on the internet about the other problems people are having with their new and older Vizios, I now understand what the manager who told me my problem “is a minor issue” really meant.

Given that important replacement parts for most Vizios are not available, the real question people have to ask themselves before they buy one is, “do I really want to spend a couple thousand dollars for a disposable TV”. People who lease cars probably will be fine with that arrangement.
post #466 of 507 Old 07-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I noticed last night my TiVo mini also does not support 480i. But whatever, I think it is indeed a minor thing. But should be disclosed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #467 of 507 Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
@Noydcom - Since you are the Public Relations Firm representing Vizio with connections to important technical people at Vizio, and it has been 8 days since you said “Let me check on it for you”, I guess you found out that what I said in my 3 posts above about my issues and conversations with Vizio tech support is true.

In reading on the internet about the other problems people are having with their new and older Vizios, I now understand what the manager who told me my problem “is a minor issue” really meant.

Given that important replacement parts for most Vizios are not available, the real question people have to ask themselves before they buy one is, “do I really want to spend a couple thousand dollars for a disposable TV”. People who lease cars probably will be fine with that arrangement.
The 2018 P-Series TVs do support Composite Video input on the Y/V input that is shared with the Component Video Input. Just plug the yellow RCA jack from your analog video source in the Y/V input then select that input from the selection menu.

Here's a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS12531_2018_P-Series_P75-F0_Back-Closeup-ama.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	2429290  

post #468 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The 2018 P-Series TVs do support Composite Video input on the Y/V input that is shared with the Component Video Input. Just plug the yellow RCA jack from your analog video source in the Y/V input then select that input from the selection menu.

Here's a photo
I don’t think you understand what “composite video” is OR you didn’t check it out like you said you would OR you didn’t read all of the Vizio support email and phone quotes I supplied in my subsequent posts. “Composite video” is 480i. “Component Video” is 480p. The quotes in my previous posts were verbatim from emails from tech support agents and confirmed by an “Executive Resolutions Team” manager and one specifically says, “480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays”.

Of course I “plugged the yellow RCA jack from my analog video source in the Y/V input then select that input from the selection menu.”

And, although @js950 said “Seems silly to even have a composite input if 480i is unsupported” (which is true), I think this is an unforeseen issue that will not be resolved for the reason I stated previously.
post #469 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post
I noticed last night my TiVo mini also does not support 480i. But whatever, I think it is indeed a minor thing. But should be disclosed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It is a “minor thing” if you can use a Component or HDMI input as an alternate. It is a “major thing” if you cannot without buying a converter AND you read the User’s Manual that shows the Composite input and talks about 480i in advance of buying the TV and it is what you needed to show the status and setup menus of your expensive legacy Anthem AVM-30 home theater audio processor/pre-amp.

I think they had planned for it to function but since it won’t affect many people they won’t fix it. But, they should change the User’s Manual to state that 480i is not supported.
post #470 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don’t think you understand what “composite video” is OR you didn’t check it out like you said you would OR you didn’t read all of the Vizio support email and phone quotes I supplied in my subsequent posts. “Composite video” is 480i. “Component Video” is 480p. The quotes in my previous posts were verbatim from emails from tech support agents and confirmed by an “Executive Resolutions Team” manager and one specifically says, “480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays”.

Of course I “plugged the yellow RCA jack from my analog video source in the Y/V input then select that input from the selection menu.”

And, although @js950 said “Seems silly to even have a composite input if 480i is unsupported” (which is true), I think this is an unforeseen issue that will not be resolved for the reason I stated previously.
Since you tried the solution offered, did it work? If so, they should just cap the the composite input and change the manual regarding connections. If not, same answer but obviously the manual would need to indicate 480i is unsupported.
post #471 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
It is a “minor thing” if you can use a Component or HDMI input as an alternate. It is a “major thing” if you cannot without buying a converter AND you read the User’s Manual that shows the Composite input and talks about 480i in advance of buying the TV and it is what you needed to show the status and setup menus of your expensive legacy Anthem AVM-30 home theater audio processor/pre-amp.

I think they had planned for it to function but since it won’t affect many people they won’t fix it. But, they should change the User’s Manual to state that 480i is not supported.
ErnestNM can you send a private message to me with your case number from customer service so we can check further?

post #472 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Since you tried the solution offered, did it work? If so, they should just cap the the composite input and change the manual regarding connections. If not, same answer but obviously the manual would need to indicate 480i is unsupported.
I had already “tried the solution offered” before I contacted Vizio support. And, then I went through that again and all of the other suggestions each tech person offered. At that point (about 6 tech persons later) the last one said, “The ports we put on this model, is similar to what we would put on other VIZIO models. However, 480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays”.

The Composite input is shared with the “Y Component” input. So, they will not “cap the composite input” lest they lose the “Component video functionality. But, they should change the User’s Manual as you suggested.
post #473 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Just one of those things and I'm sure it a minor issue overall for them but I can certainly see your frustration after checking 1st and then not being able to use it as desired. I think having the composite input paralleled to the component Y input is also a bad choice. What if someone wants to use both. Unlikely with modern connections but just having component with composite instructions would be better. It would prevent that option.
post #474 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
ErnestNM can you send a private message to me with your case number from customer service so we can check further?
Vizio supplied the following in their emails: [ref:_00D1aKFTF._5001adpICg:ref]

You should just verify for yourself since I will be returning the TV to Costco because of this defect AND/OR their mis-advertizing. Either one of those reason is valid for my case based upon their statements and the User’s Manual. Given the HDMI problems the P-Series are having I suspect this is another one of the unforeseen issues. But, I can’t prove it. However, the User’s Manual statements imply that it is in fact a defect.
post #475 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Just one of those things and I'm sure it a minor issue overall for them but I can certainly see your frustration after checking 1st and then not being able to use it as desired. I think having the composite input paralleled to the component Y input is also a bad choice. What if someone wants to use both. Unlikely with modern connections but just having component with composite instructions would be better. It would prevent that option.
I agree and I could have used separate Component and Composite inputs because my Sony DVPNC80V DVD player has Component outputs as well. But, I my Anthem AVM-30 only outputs the status and setup menus through the Composite output since they are just static images.
post #476 of 507 Old 07-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

I know you're angry about this but it's not a defect. They simply screwed up something that most won't notice. Still a good enough reason to return it in your situation. I find it odd that a brand that wants to compete with the big 3 and has been around for a while won't scale 480i. I think that's unique to Vizio. I wonder if the PQ will have an updated scaler, whether it does 480i or not.
post #477 of 507 Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I know you're angry about this but it's not a defect. They simply screwed up something that most won't notice. Still a good enough reason to return it in your situation. I find it odd that a brand that wants to compete with the big 3 and has been around for a while won't scale 480i. I think that's unique to Vizio. I wonder if the PQ will have an updated scaler, whether it does 480i or not.
A “defect” and “simply screwed up something that most won't notice” is exactly the same thing to me…but to each their own. I’m not angry but disappointed and now Very Critical of the company called Vizio. If I discovered this issue after the 90-day Costco free return period, I would be angry.

However, this ordeal allowed the surprising discovery that Vizio doesn’t publish the electronic specifications on these P-Series TVs aside from dimensions, weight, picture quality, and power. The User’s Manual ( the only document they have on the P-Series TVs ) only lists the number and type of input/output but absolutely Nothing about the video/audio formats, signals, or standards supported. Compare this to the Sony XBR-75X900F where an entire separate 4 page “Marketing Specifications” pamphlet describes Every single video/audio format, signal, and standard supported.

I guess Vizio doesn’t want to go on record as to what their TVs do and do not support until you contact them and they inform you. In my case, so far, it has been, “The ports we put on this model, is similar to what we would put on other VIZIO models. However, 480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays” in addition to the other statements I listed in my previous posts.
post #478 of 507 Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:

We checked the composite Y/V input on our 2018 P-Series TV from a DVD player with Composite out and it does pass and display correctly the Composite Video signal. Here is a picture of the successful picture. It is unfortunate that we couldn't confirm it earlier. It may be good to connect the Composite output from your source device directly into the TV's Y/V port to confirm it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180717_131145.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2430218  
eaadams and leojj25 like this.

post #479 of 507 Old 07-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
We checked the composite Y/V input on our 2018 P-Series TV from a DVD player with Composite out and it does pass and display correctly the Composite Video signal. Here is a picture of the successful picture. It is unfortunate that we couldn't confirm it earlier. It may be good to connect the Composite output from your source device directly into the TV's Y/V port to confirm it.
You have just shown an example of the “may display” portion the of the “Executive Resolutions Team Manager” statements. He said to me, “It may or may not display a 480i signal. But, we only support 480p on our 4K TVs.

Now, look at a picture of my Anthem AVM-30 setup Menu displayed on my Samsung 58B540S3F plasma TV. This is with a 6’ RG-59 cable connected directly to the AVM-30 and coupled to another 30’ RG-59 cable leading to the Samsung TV in the bedroom.

Then, look at my “may not display” example of the manager’s statement for the Vizio P75-F1 (consisting of two pictures) with the SAME 6’ cable (only) connected directly to the AVM-30 and the Vizio TV. As you can see I have it connected to the correct input, and the input on the TV is set to “COMP” (currently labeled “Anthem Receiver”), and the screen is blank. However, the TV ‘sees’ something because the “Info Window” says “Normal” and “Stereo” (even though nothing is connected to the audio inputs!). But the resolution box is blank. And, the TV Never displays the “No Signal” message as it does on other unconnected inputs. It simply cannot lock onto the NTSC 3.58 standard signal delivered to it over a good 6’ RG-59 cable.

Why can the Samsung 58B540S3F display a nice picture of the AVM-30 setup menu over 36’ of cable and the Vizio P75-F1 cannot when the SAME 6’ cable is used in both tests? Because, just as the “Executive Resolutions Team Manager” said to me, “It may or may not display a 480i signal. But, we only support 480p on our 4K TVs.

Congratulations, you hit the Vizio P-Series “Composite Input” lottery! 😊 Unfortunately, I didn’t.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0633.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2430410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	903.1 KB
ID:	2430412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2430414  
post #480 of 507 Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
By the way, when you check on this you can refer to the following emails. Notice that Darren (a nice person) didn’t know that 480p is ‘enhanced definition’ and that 480i is “standard definition”,

Ernest,
The reason why you're not getting video is because the source is sending 480i (which is below standard definition) content.
The tv supports a minimum of 480p (standard definition) resolution.
Thanks and have a great day!
Darren
VIZIO
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946

Ernest,
The ports we put on this model, is similar to what we would put on other VIZIO models.
However, 480i resolution is not supported on ANY of our 4K displays.
Thanks!
Darren
VIZIO
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page