197Likes

post #91 of 507 Old 03-18-2018, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hky4life View Post
mine exhibits too much DSE for me to live with. That is not a common thing and apparently I just have bad luck.
I think it IS common. I returned my first P55 due to what I thought was excessive DSE. The replacement also had it, and I have also seen others speak of it. It drives me nuts as I can see it on practically everything I watch.
hky4life likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 507 Old 03-19-2018, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I hope I'm dead wrong but my sense is that this may be a disappointing release of the P-Series--not that it won't be a decent/good TV, but the 2016 release was a game changer. And it's hard to see how Vizio can repeat that experience given the competition coming from TCL's P Series, and the more reasonably priced (relative to 2016/17) premium options from Sony and Samsung. Samsung, in particular, seems to have finally seen the error of its ways and has returned to having some FALD options at less than 2nd home prices ($6k and $4.8k retail for 75" Q9 and Q8, respectively, Full Array models in 2018 versus $10k for crappy 2017 edge lit versions is quite the concession by Samsung after the market handed it to them for their sh*t boxes the past two years). I still think the Sony 940E is the best price/value option out there right now (assuming issues with DV and such get worked out--and depending on how long they're available).

Vizio has never been one to get crazy with brightness--relying on contrast from superior local dimming to overcome the lack of peak brightness. In fact that 1000 nit threshold to be UHD premium certified was a big reason Vizio backed out of that whole process, claiming it was unnecessarily restrictive and wasn't indicative of picture quality (which may be true--but seems it matters to consumers). So absent a "come to Jesus" on that, assuming they maintain their price point, hard to see what they can offer that makes them the #1 choice. Not sure how much cheaper they can make them. Almost have to see an expansion of color gamut--which kinda requires more brightness I think. I don't know. With HDMI 2.1 being late to the party... seems like bad timing for Vizio, given it's two year product cycle. Almost feels like they'd be better off waiting to make the next iteration--or have to move up the next iteration to less than two years. But hoping they blow us away--just have the feeling it may be disappointing.
post #93 of 507 Old 03-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This might be the first glimpse of the 2018 P-Series in the center? It looks like M series on both sides of it based off the slightly thicker bezels. The M clearly has the logo on the lower right which matches the photos on Vizio's website. The legs of the center TV also look like they have a metallic sheen to them as opposed to the black plastic, which might indicate its a premium set. This picture came directly from Vizio's website. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	2377726  
shoman94 likes this.

Vizio PX65 - Sonos 5.1 - ATV 4K
Samsung Q8FN - Sonos 5.1 - ATV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Well, TCL just announced the release of their series 6 to be available to purchase on May 1st. I wonder when Vizio announcement will come....
post #95 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
Well, TCL just announced the release of their series 6 to be available to purchase on May 1st. I wonder when Vizio announcement will come....
Holy crap, 120 dimming zones on a budget TV.
post #96 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV2RED View Post
This might be the first glimpse of the 2018 P-Series in the center? It looks like M series on both sides of it based off the slightly thicker bezels. The M clearly has the logo on the lower right which matches the photos on Vizio's website. The legs of the center TV also look like they have a metallic sheen to them as opposed to the black plastic, which might indicate its a premium set. This picture came directly from Vizio's website. What do you guys think?
Those bezels look thin AF.

Matt McCrae straight up said they go for thickness in the frame because they don't want to sacrifice uniformity as thin bezels and thin backlights hurt uniformity.

Not sure what to think here. Looks real slick but not sure about performance now.
post #97 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
^^ I agree that it looks very nice, near borderless. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on with it since its a straight on shot. I surely hope they haven't changed their strategy since Matt has left. It would be a shame if they try to sell TV's that look good in the store to jeopardize PQ a bit. Hopefully, we will get an official press release soon to see what they have up their sleeves for 2018.

Vizio PX65 - Sonos 5.1 - ATV 4K
Samsung Q8FN - Sonos 5.1 - ATV 4K
post #98 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Vizio better have there "duck in a row" because if TCL releases the 6 series 65 inch around $1500 MSRP or less, P series will have some serious competition with like-kind-product for a lower price point. They would have a produce 250 local dimming zones just to stay ahead of the game to justifying paying more for the P series. I am batting for them to produce a awesome 2018 P series and maybe even a Q series as a "top self" model with all the extra tech "bells and whistles" (quantum dot, substantially higher local dimming zones, etc.). If they don't, it will be a slow climb grabbing any market share.
post #99 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfuzz View Post
Vizio better have there "duck in a row" because if TCL releases the 6 series 65 inch around $1500 MSRP or less, P series will have some serious competition with like-kind-product for a lower price point. They would have a produce 250 local dimming zones just to stay ahead of the game to justifying paying more for the P series. I am batting for them to produce a awesome 2018 P series and maybe even a Q series as a "top self" model with all the extra tech "bells and whistles" (quantum dot, substantially higher local dimming zones, etc.). If they don't, it will be a slow climb grabbing any market share.
I'm looking at 70 inch or higher. Sure hope Vizio has something in that size.
Dynamite_Kid19 likes this.
post #100 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbjr View Post
I'm looking at 70 inch or higher. Sure hope Vizio has something in that size.
I am betting they will have at least the same sizes for P Series from last year - 55 inch - 65 inch - 75 inch. But who knows what they may have up their sleeve. Could it be 80 or 85 inch? Possibly given the standard 5 inch size increments every to every other year depending on the manufacturer, model series, etc. To see Vizio only produce modest changes for the P Series (increasing local dimming zones to say 150, maybe slimmer bezels, etc.) would be a major disappointment and ultimately hurt their track record and forward momentum they have gained over the last 5 years or so.

FWIW as an aside: I purchased the Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1 system and its an outstanding system for the money. You won't find a better value for what your getting. Yes, there are better, stronger preforming 5.1 systems, but you will pay handsomely for those gains.

Vizio must strike while the iron is hot with some major innovation, especially when it comes to their LCD FALD panels. Given the above 5.1 sound bar system example, they total can bring it to the market, its just a matter of timing.
leojj25 likes this.
post #101 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It's sort of funny, that in measuring, it appears that I have space for a 70 inch television but 75 would be pushing it, so as of right now replacing my 55 with a 70 leaves me only Vizio. That said, I could open up my choices to more brands if I just go with 65 inches, which is something I'm contemplating. There's no hurry though, since the old television still works fine, but certainly a new one would look nicer. I cut the cord though, and use an antenna for my viewing, so the fact that the 2018 M has a tuner is a bonus for me.
post #102 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV2RED View Post
99.9 percent sure all 3 of those TVs are the M
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #103 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Matt McCrae straight up said
Last I checked he quit and works as a CEO at some other company now. The only voice that company ever had is now gone
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #104 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
TCL reminds me of Vizio a few years ago
post #105 of 507 Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love to see that TCL in a 75 incher. I hope Vizio makes a good P series in that size
post #106 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
Crazy isn't it? Especially when you consider Samsung's expensive new Q8FN was only counted as having 75 dimming zones (although that isn't 100% confirmed yet).
The number of dimming zones isn't the only factor affecting contrast and blooming control (things like the dimming algorithm and panel filters also play a role), but all other things being equal having more dimming zones is superior to having fewer.

I think TCL will also likely have improved their dimming algorithm.

It's too bad the 2018 Vizio M series tvs seem to not have improved as much. Still having only 32 zones is disappointing. Hopefully the new P series will be a little more exciting.
post #107 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by avshaman View Post

It's too bad the 2018 Vizio M series tvs seem to not have improved as much. Still having only 32 zones is disappointing. Hopefully the new P series will be a little more exciting.

Looks like the 65" has 40 zones and the bigger sizes up to 48 zones according to their website

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #108 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by avshaman View Post
Crazy isn't it? Especially when you consider Samsung's expensive new Q8FN was only counted as having 75 dimming zones (although that isn't 100% confirmed yet).
The number of dimming zones isn't the only factor affecting contrast and blooming control (things like the dimming algorithm and panel filters also play a role), but all other things being equal having more dimming zones is superior to having fewer.

I think TCL will also likely have improved their dimming algorithm.

I honestly think Vizio might not bring out another P-series this year. Best buy stopped selling their P-series last year because there were too many complaints about the tablet remote and because it didn’t have the antenna connection. That is why Vizio switched to a normal remote for the 2017 P-series. However, it was too late by then. Best Buy had already essentially abandoned them.

I doubt Best Buy would sell the 2018 P-series even if Vizio makes one. They sell the M and E series in some stores but it is usually relegated to a far off corner of the Tv section where only the bargain basement TVs reside.

Honestly, I would be more surprised to see Best Buy selling a 2018 Vizio P-series than I would be if Vizio just didn’t make a 2018 P-series at all. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Vizio struggle selling displays this year, period.

I have been accused of being the biggest Vizio Honk over the last few years and I absolutely love the 7 Vizio displays I have in my house. However, I must admit that I think the future of Vizio is Grim at best, especially without Matt McCrae.
THX1720 and bluemoon737 like this.
post #109 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I honestly think Vizio might not bring out another P-series this year. Best buy stopped selling their P-series last year because there were too many complaints about the tablet remote and because it didn’t have the antenna connection. That is why Vizio switched to a normal remote for the 2017 P-series. However, it was too late by then. Best Buy had already essentially abandoned them.

I doubt Best Buy would sell the 2018 P-series even if Vizio makes one. They sell the M and E series in some stores but it is usually relegated to a far off corner of the Tv section where only the bargain basement TVs reside.

Honestly, I would be more surprised to see Best Buy selling a 2018 Vizio P-series than I would be if Vizio just didn’t make a 2018 P-series at all. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Vizio struggle selling displays this year, period.

I have been accused of being the biggest Vizio Honk over the last few years and I absolutely love the 7 Vizio displays I have in my house. However, I must admit that I think the future of Vizio is Grim at best, especially without Matt McCrae.
I'm in an upgrade cycle (2015 M55 at the moment) and I was really looking forward to pulling the trigger on the new P series this year. Even if it doesn't happen, or isn't a major upgrade, we always have the new TCL 6 series which should be just as good.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #110 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5152 Post(s)
Liked: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Those bezels look thin AF.

Matt McCrae straight up said they go for thickness in the frame because they don't want to sacrifice uniformity as thin bezels and thin backlights hurt uniformity.

Not sure what to think here. Looks real slick but not sure about performance now.
I think he meant the panel thickness not the border.
Ph8te likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #111 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I have the manager of a big box store holding a P75-C1 open box for me until this evening. The price is lower than they are selling the E75-E3. Will still come with full warranty, but hesitant to purchase without extended warranty. Thoughts by anyone?
leojj25 likes this.
post #112 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You do realize that they are the number 2 TV seller in the country? I don't think losing bestbuy was a big deal since they always pushed Samsung/Sony/LG anyways. We will see the 2018 P series.
meduzadg and leojj25 like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #113 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd09 View Post
99.9 percent sure all 3 of those TVs are the M
You can see the difference in the center one. The center has no Vizio name on the bottom right, The bezels are clearly thinner, the legs are charcoal silver.
hky4life, leojj25 and REV2RED like this.

post #114 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Are you sure that was why? And not because it was the same as the 16 model?
post #115 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
You can see the difference in the center one. The center has no Vizio name on the bottom right, The bezels are clearly thinner, the legs are charcoal silver.
What is strange is if you inspect the webpage the image is labeled as a D series.

cdn.vizio.com/images/pdp/2018/d-series/vizio_d-series_smartcast_1.png

I agree though that the tv in the middle does not look like the other two.
post #116 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Look at the center one and the one above it.... it is surely different.

If you look close at the center display it looks like instead of the VIZIO name it's the Vizio logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio2018.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	2378458  

Last edited by shoman94; 03-21-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #117 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscroggin View Post
What is strange is if you inspect the webpage the image is labeled as a D series.

cdn.vizio.com/images/pdp/2018/d-series/vizio_d-series_smartcast_1.png

I agree though that the tv in the middle does not look like the other two.
That image was originally put in when the 2018 D series was put on their website. You can compare the bezels on the D Series and they are totally different.

post #118 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe they will be going OLED
mpgxsvcd likes this.

post #119 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post
I have the manager of a big box store holding a P75-C1 open box for me until this evening. The price is lower than they are selling the E75-E3. Will still come with full warranty, but hesitant to purchase without extended warranty. Thoughts by anyone?
Get the extended warranty for as many years as you can. I used the warranty twice already and I have extended it for another year after the original warranty period.
leojj25 likes this.
post #120 of 507 Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
You do realize that they are the number 2 TV seller in the country? I don't think losing bestbuy was a big deal since they always pushed Samsung/Sony/LG anyways. We will see the 2018 P series.
I think losing Best Buy was a big deal. They wouldn't have changed the remote like they did unless they wanted to keep Best Buy's business.

There is no way to know how it will all turn out. However, I am not going to bet on them having a super successful year this year. None of the stores promote their TVs. Costco, Walmart, Best Buy....etc. They always promote something other than Vizio. Vizio sold well because of their price vs. feature set when they didn't have any competition. Now they have real competition at or below their price point. That is going to become a real issue for them in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page