40--44" computer monitor advice needed - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 103
It's just a set of trade-offs. Obviously, it fits better in small cases. On the con side, you probably get a smaller fan along with the heat concentrated in a smaller area.

-tm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-25-2018, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by millst View Post
It's just a set of trade-offs. Obviously, it fits better in small cases. On the con side, you probably get a smaller fan along with the heat concentrated in a smaller area.
-tm
It's a shame, as I have a good size case (mid-tower) and there is not much in it besides the MB & a SSD & P Supply.
If anyone is aware of a good non-height, graphics card for my use (non-gaming, web surfing using two browsers and tons of open tabs, office work, rare video and streaming) that has 2 HDMI ports and 1 DisplayPort, I would be grateful to hear about it.

Any thoughts on this option: MSI GEForce gtx1050 2GT LPV3 (has 2 HDMI & 1 DP) ?

Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #33 of 38 Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Wow, nice. Display Connectors:
1 x DisplayPort 1.4
3 x HDMI 2.0b
1 x DVI-D DL
Maximum Digital Resolution: 7680 x 4320

Thanks.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #35 of 38 Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
That's the card I have (well, the 4G version to be exact: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Ca...N105TWF2OC-4GD ).

BTW, the "Protection Back Plate" that Gigabyte brags about is nothing but a plastic shroud.

The top of the line Gigabyte 1050 model is the "G1 Gaming" card. It might have a better heat sink, not sure. It also has LED lighting, unfortunately.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-29-2018, 08:26 PM

Gaming marketing, ugh. That plastic probably traps heat, too.

-tm
post #37 of 38 Old 02-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I think a lot of people, including me, are using Samsung MU6290/MU6300. The 40" is a 4k VA panel that supports 4:4:4. Input lag and contrast are pretty nice, but response time not so much. OS scaling should take care of any issues with readability on a high resolution screen.

If you're picky about ghosting, probably better off looking at a real computer monitor.

-tm
Or get the 43 TCLS405. It's as cheap or cheaper in most places than the 40 inch samsung. I have both and am comparing side by side before I bring one back. Going to keep the TCL because the ghosting is almost non-existent, very monitor like. The input lag is also under one frame at 14ms which is a godsend for gaming. On the other hand, you are getting worse uniformity (darker corners and dirty screen effect) and worse contrast for the former benefits. YMMV but I appreciate the much better response time and lower input lag more than the superior blacks/uniformity of the Samsung. The TCL's image seems better balanced and less 'blown out' out of the box as well. Both uncalibrated though, of course.

I really love the TCL as a gaming display though, so much so that I usually use it over my B6 OLED that has about 2x the input lag which is enough of a difference in competitive shooters. Mousing on a display with under 1 frame of input lag feels fantastic as well (I wouldn't know how it feels in FPS games, as I game with a controller on PC but I can imagine the difference is even more noticeable if you do).
post #38 of 38 Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Yeah, that's another great option. One of the reasons I went with the Samsung was to avoid PWM. Also, I mostly use desktop apps with dark themes, thus I preferred the bump in contrast/uniformity over responsiveness/lag. Depending on your usage, your preference will vary.

-tm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
computer , large , monitor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page