Vizio M75", LG UHD Player, or Onkyo 656--which to let upscale signals to 4K? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cam1977
  • 1 Post By primetimeguy

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Vizio M75", LG UHD Player, or Onkyo 656--which to let upscale signals to 4K?

I've just purchased a new Vizio M75-E1 4K display. I also recently got lucky with the Wal-mart clearance and picked up an LG UP870 UHD 4K player for a mere $25. And I upgraded my A/V receiver to an Onkyo TX NR656 this past summer.

All three offer the ability to upscale lower-resolution signals (cable, DVD, Blu-ray) to near-4K. Although I am new to the UHD world, I know that I should only let one device handle all the upscaling, and not have multiple pieces of equipment manipulating the signal at the same time and screwing things up.

So my question is--of these three devices, which would have the best built-in upscaling?

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

Last edited by Steven Good; 02-04-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
^^^best bet is to let the set do the upscaling, as it's already doing it with all sources.
primetimeguy likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^^^best bet is to let the set do the upscaling, as it's already doing it with all sources.
Agree.

Either that or test them all and see which you like better. My guess is you won't see a difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Cam1977 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How are you liking the 75"? Im following tv prices really closely for any drops the next couple of months.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Good View Post
I've just purchased a new Vizio M75-E1 4K display. I also recently got lucky with the Wal-mart clearance and picked up an LG UP870 UHD 4K player for a mere $25. And I upgraded my A/V receiver to an Onkyo TX NR656 this past summer.

All three offer the ability to upscale lower-resolution signals (cable, DVD, Blu-ray) to near-4K. Although I am new to the UHD world, I know that I should only let one device handle all the upscaling, and not have multiple pieces of equipment manipulating the signal at the same time and screwing things up.

So my question is--of these three devices, which would have the best built-in upscaling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Moonman View Post
How are you liking the 75"? Im following tv prices really closely for any drops the next couple of months.
Also following the prices on the M75.

Where did you get it? Price?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got it at Best Buy a couple of weeks before the Super Bowl for $1799. I kept watching the sales the following week, convinced I'd jumped too soon and prices would be even better. But... the price actually went up $50, and I haven't seen it cheaper since. And I looked at the usual places--Fry's, PC Richards, Beach Camera, Abes of Maine, Best Buy, Crutchfield, and even some eBay sellers.

I love the set. I'm coming from a 67" Samsung DLP with the LED light engine. The dreaded white spots started and I didn't want to drop a few hundred dollars into a ten year old tv.

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page