Looking to upgrade 12 yr old LCD, need insight. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 4 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By Montucky
  • 1 Post By stonewahl
  • 1 Post By Montucky
  • 3 Post By LostInPa
  • 1 Post By sudz
  • 2 Post By Montucky
  • 1 Post By LostInPa
  • 1 Post By mrcarnut

post #1 of 28 Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question Looking to upgrade 12 yr old LCD, need insight.

Hello all. I currently have a 42" Sharp Aquos LC-42D6U which is chugging along just fine but I think it is time to upgrade. Considering how much smaller the bezels are these days I can now fit a 49" TV in the same spot of the home entertainment center. I have been doing some web searching and reading some threads here and it seems the cream of the crop in the 49" variety is the Sony X900E. I have narrowed my choices down to the X900E ($950) and X800E ($700) by Sony and the Q6F ($800) and MU8000 ($700) by Samsung. I am leaning more towards the Q6F and the X900E.

My biggest question is whether or not at that size (49") if it is worth spending the extra $150 on the Sony X900E over the Q6F? I have Verizon Fios as a TV provider, at times I watch BluRay and we stream Amazon Prime and Netflix. No gaming will be done on this TV so that is a non-factor in my decision. Is it overkill to get the X900E/Q6F? Should I look more at the X800E or the MU8000?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInPa View Post
Hello all. I currently have a 42" Sharp Aquos LC-42D6U which is chugging along just fine but I think it is time to upgrade. Considering how much smaller the bezels are these days I can now fit a 49" TV in the same spot of the home entertainment center. I have been doing some web searching and reading some threads here and it seems the cream of the crop in the 49" variety is the Sony X900E. I have narrowed my choices down to the X900E ($950) and X800E ($700) by Sony and the Q6F ($800) and MU8000 ($700) by Samsung. I am leaning more towards the Q6F and the X900E.

My biggest question is whether or not at that size (49") if it is worth spending the extra $150 on the Sony X900E over the Q6F? I have Verizon Fios as a TV provider, at times I watch BluRay and we stream Amazon Prime and Netflix. No gaming will be done on this TV so that is a non-factor in my decision. Is it overkill to get the X900E/Q6F? Should I look more at the X800E or the MU8000?

Since you keep your TVs for a long time, don't skimp. The Sony XBR49X900E the best of the lot at 49", it is a native 120 Hz VA panel, has good FALD for better HDR, and has great motion control and upscaling. The Samsung QN49Q6F is edge lit with poor dimming and is a native 60 Hz VA panel. Not a bad TV, just not up with the 900E.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Since you keep your TVs for a long time, don't skimp. The Sony XBR49X900E the best of the lot at 49", it is a native 120 Hz VA panel, has good FALD for better HDR, and has great motion control and upscaling. The Samsung QN49Q6F is edge lit with poor dimming and is a native 60 Hz VA panel. Not a bad TV, just not up with the 900E.

Thanks for the reply. You are correct that I don't switch out TVs to be on the cutting edge, having kids in college will do this to some of us. I guess your point that I will be keeping this TV for years to come is probably the best argument to get the best TV that fits ones budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
The X900E. Hands down. One of my favorite TVs for the money, and if I was limited to 49", it would be my only choice. To me, it's about the nicest TV out there that's under 55".
post #5 of 28 Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. You are correct that I don't switch out TVs to be on the cutting edge, having kids in college will do this to some of us. I guess your point that I will be keeping this TV for years to come is probably the best argument to get the best TV that fits ones budget.
Yep I understand fully. My daughter graduated college in May 2001 and got married a week later. That put a big crimp in our style for around 5 years. But it was worth it, they're still married and now after 16+ years we have a little 9-month old grandson.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

it's been so long since I have upgraded that I am wondering how much of a wow factor I am gonna get from upgrading the display. Also after doing a little more research and the replies here that l will be purchasing the 900E, then again I now am starting to wonder if I should wait for the 900F to hit the shelves.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also after doing a little more research and the replies here that l will be purchasing the 900E, then again I now am starting to wonder if I should wait for the 900F to hit the shelves.
Ha. Good question. I'd say it boils down to price. The 900F is probably RIGHT around the corner. However, the price on the 900E has bottomed out and when the 900E hits, it will be back up to full initial MSRP. Kind of a cycle we see every year. Unless there's a major change coming up with the F, the savings could be worth it on the E. It's not like the E is any slouch, that's for sure. Gorgeous TV.
frank xbe likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
it's been so long since I have upgraded that I am wondering how much of a wow factor I am gonna get from upgrading the display. Also after doing a little more research and the replies here that l will be purchasing the 900E, then again I now am starting to wonder if I should wait for the 900F to hit the shelves.
I was in a similar boat as I had a 2010 model Samsung 58" plasma. It has fantastic picture quality but was developing some issues so I took the plunge to a 65" X900E. Even my wife loved that old plasma but when we turned on the x900E and watch Rogue One (even upscaled from Blu-ray) we were both picking up our jaws from the floor. The X900E has a spectacular WOW factor that will make you quickly forget the extra money you spent!
frank xbe likes this.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
H I am leaning more towards the Q6F and the X900E.

I got a 2016 Samsung 55KS8000 cheap in 2017 at EOL discounts ,decent TV but now I think a Sony X900E/F is the smart mid price TV to get given the 2017 Samsung arent quite as good as the 2016 models , the X900 FALD Sonys are real decent.

I have an inexpensive Samsung MU 6300 in the bedroom it's OK but cheaply made and basically 4K SDR ,only an 8 bit panel it isn't a Sony X900E picture or build quality,
post #10 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank xbe View Post
I have an inexpensive Samsung MU 6300 in the bedroom it's OK but cheaply made...
Perfectly fine for a bedroom TV. That's where I demoted some of mine to. Haha. Nothing wrong with that. Definitely not what I want for my "reference" living room viewing, but great in a non-essential, barely used room for sure.
frank xbe likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Since you keep your TVs for a long time, don't skimp. The Sony XBR49X900E the best of the lot at 49", it is a native 120 Hz VA panel, has good FALD for better HDR, and has great motion control and upscaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
The X900E. Hands down. One of my favorite TVs for the money, and if I was limited to 49", it would be my only choice. To me, it's about the nicest TV out there that's under 55".
I concur. We researched 49-50" tv's extensively for 5~6 weeks, and we're so glad we went with the 900E. It's truly an amazing 4K HDR 120Hz panel, and the FALD might even be more effective, overall, in the 49" then in the 55 and up size panels, due to I think only [20 zones?]. DaveB would know, and as he advised abv, the 900E is by far and away the best of the best, in that size class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
The X900E has a spectacular WOW factor that will make you quickly forget the extra money you spent!
Hear, hear. This couldn't be truer ! :inexplicably missing *nod* emoticon: Moreover, the 'WOW Factor' never goes away. Or at least we don't think it ever will. We're still in awe of it every time we turn it on.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Quote:
Ha. Good question. I'd say it boils down to price. The 900F is probably RIGHT around the corner. However, the price on the 900E has bottomed out and when the 900E hits, it will be back up to full initial MSRP. Kind of a cycle we see every year. Unless there's a major change coming up with the F, the savings could be worth it on the E. It's not like the E is any slouch, that's for sure. Gorgeous TV.
I'll second this sentiment from Montucky; your posts seem to indicate some budget-conscience tendencies (nothing wrong with that). My personal opinion/preferences: I pay release-prices for smartphones, because IMO smart phone prices (usually) don't decrease much during the 1st twelve month cycle, and then are pretty outdated 13+ months later.... But TVs, particularly "flagship" / "higher end" TVs, decrease in price dramatically from April-to-April. I'd rather rather buy on the back half (October-March) then buy April-September and "pay full price". I personally don't think the 900F will be some sort of revolutionary upgrade from the E, in the way that the E (or F) will be a revolutionary upgrade from your 12-year-old traditionally-backlit non-FALD LCD... I'd buy the E and save the money. In fact, I did buy the 940E back in October, and paid the exact same price for it (caught it in a dip) that it is currently retailing for from Best Buy/Amazon/etc.... which is ~33% less than what it was MSRP'd at back in April when it first released. I do not regret waiting the 6 months, as I expect/plan to use this TV as my main set for AT LEAST 5 years, and potentially "demote" it to another room/use for many more years after that...
post #13 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
...your posts seem to indicate some budget-conscience tendencies (nothing wrong with that)...
I am always a bit budget-conscience but I won't balk at paying top dollar if it means I am truly getting the best item at that price point. It seems that the consensus pick is the Sony 900E so that is the way I am going to go and by the replies and research I doubt I will be disappointed. I would be getting one today but somehow it is 74 degrees in the Philadelphia area in February so I decided to take the cover off the grill and make some good ole fashion hamburgers. Thanks to everyone that has chimed in to make this a more educated decision.

BTW @psuKinger , smartphones are my kryptonite, I upgrade every year.
frank xbe, Montucky and WinMod21 like this.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Have to agree with the 900E, seeing you seem to keep your set for a long duration it is wise to purchase a premium set to keep you smiling for the long run. I bought my original Sony panel 11 years ago and it cost me a fortune at that time, but worth every penny in the hours of enjoyment over that time. I upgraded last week to another great product, again the best value for the money for a premium set which i can only hope will make me smile for another 11 years.

Good luck on your selection, as mentioned the new models will come out shortly and prices will be a third more than the panel prices right now. Best time to purchase price wise is Christmas to Superbowl, so take advantage and get a premium panel at a reasonable price. Cheers and good luck.
frank xbe likes this.

Vizio P65-E1
Vizio SB3651-E6
PS4
post #15 of 28 Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudz View Post
Have to agree with the 900E, seeing you seem to keep your set for a long duration it is wise to purchase a premium set to keep you smiling for the long run. I bought my original Sony panel 11 years ago and it cost me a fortune at that time, but worth every penny in the hours of enjoyment over that time.
I agree. That's my take on the subject. Sure, there are always cheaper options, but going with a more "premium" option has always served me well. When I bought my 46" Sony back in like '07, it costs me several thousand dollars. My friends couldn't believe how much I spent, but in the course of me using it (I STILL have it, even if it's been demoted), those same friends replaced their TVs many times over and FINALLY achieved something as nice looking as my set which still honestly holds up fairly well considering its age. In the long run, they all spent more than I did, and I got to enjoy a gorgeous (for the time) TV in the meanwhile. Worth. Every. Penny.
frank xbe and WinMod21 like this.
post #16 of 28 Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Might want to give this a read in case it has any impact on your decision. I just saw it:
https://www.avsforum.com/sony-announc...hd-tv-pricing/
post #17 of 28 Old 02-22-2018, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link @Montucky . The 900E is currently for sale at my local Best Buy for $949 and the new 900F is listing a MSRP of $1099 from the link you posted which is only a $150 difference. I waited 12 years so I think I will wait a few more weeks and get the 900F. The Dolby Vision feature is very intriguing.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link @Montucky . The 900E is currently for sale at my local Best Buy for $949 and the new 900F is listing a MSRP of $1099 from the link you posted which is only a $150 difference. I waited 12 years so I think I will wait a few more weeks and get the 900F. The Dolby Vision feature is very intriguing.
You got it! This was honestly an unexpected price drop to me. The 900E started out at $1200, so I assumed the 900F was going to be the same or maybe even a bit higher. Nope. Score! So IF the 900F doesn't sacrifice anything over last year's model, then it definitely might be worth waiting a couple weeks since it's such a small price difference in this instance.

The one thing to pay attention to if it makes any difference to you is the base. The 900E has the more solid base that sits in the middle which is more ideal if you want to use a pedestal speaker like the Sonos Playbase. The 900F has legs that sit toward the outside, which honestly appear flimsier at first glance. I could be wrong though. Maybe they're solid?
post #19 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How does the Sony 900E/F compare with the LG Oled panels? The LG can be found for a similar price point if you look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrieze01 View Post
How does the Sony 900E/F compare with the LG Oled panels? The LG can be found for a similar price point if you look around.
Not sure how the prices compare between Sony and LG displays when available in similar sizes, but I did not see any LG OLED panels for sale that were 49"-50" in size. I am limited to no more than 50" in my entertainment unit but would prefer a 49" to have a little wiggle room.

Last edited by LostInPa; 02-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Not sure how the prices compare between Sony and LG displays when available in similar sizes, but I did not see any LG OLED panels for sale that were 49"-50" in size. I am limited to no more than 50" in my entertainment unit but would prefer a 49" to have a little wiggle room.

I was looking at the LG 55” TV. Not sure about 49/50” options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 28 Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
The smallest OLED is 55" so you're out of luck there if you want smaller.

Afro GT
post #23 of 28 Old 02-25-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The smallest OLED is 55" so you're out of luck there if you want smaller.
Exactly. Plus there are certainly pros and cons to going LCD/LED or OLED.
post #24 of 28 Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Check out today's Best Buy ad. They have the 49" 900E back down to $899. I bought this same TV for my wife and it is amazing. She loves it but most of the time she is sleeping when it is on. Her bedroom TV.
frank xbe likes this.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
Quote:
Exactly. Plus there are certainly pros and cons to going LCD/LED or OLED.
Going to OLED was all pros for me, no cons. Not a gamer so no concerns about burn in. Watch TV, mainly sports plus streaming and Blu Ray or 4K discs. Great picture!

Afro GT
post #26 of 28 Old 06-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize this is an old thread but I was faced with the same choice. I don't have room for anything more than 49 inch and even that was pushing it. I chose the Samsung Q6 F mostly because I play a lot of media files and the range of file types recognized by the Sony were comparatively few, compared to the Samsung. But I can say that it's quite capable of a pretty stunning image. The colors absolutely knock you down and steal your lunch money. Black levels surely are not OLED, but good enough for me.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I was faced with the same choice. I don't have room for anything more than 49 inch and even that was pushing it. I chose the Samsung Q6 F mostly because I play a lot of media files and the range of file types recognized by the Sony were comparatively few, compared to the Samsung. But I can say that it's quite capable of a pretty stunning image. The colors absolutely knock you down and steal your lunch money. Black levels surely are not OLED, but good enough for me.
File types? I thought that the file type would be the domain of the player; not the display. Please elaborate.
post #28 of 28 Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm referring to the native media file player of the television itself. If there's a way to change that, I'm not aware of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page