Advice Needed: 65" HDR or 70" non-HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BHof

post #1 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Advice Needed: 65" HDR or 70" non-HDR

Hello all,

I'm a newb to this site, and was hoping to get some advice (I'll keep it short-ish):

Currently re-doing my basement, and so I'm finally getting a 4K tv. It will be used for equal parts movies, video games (XBox One, not the X), and sports (football and hockey). We'll be sitting about 9-10 ft from the screen.

I have been pricing out TV's (pretty much just looking at Samsung, LG, and Sony) and realized that 70" 4K tv's with true HDR are out of my price range (looking to spend $1,500 max). However, 70" tv's with "fake" HDR (HDR compatible or Active HDR) are within my range. Alternatively, I could get a 65" with true HDR and stay within my budget.

So my question is - should I go with the better quality, or the bigger size? Is there a huge discrepancy between HDR and non-HDR? Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice!

PS - My wife has essentially vetoed 75", as she says its too big for the viewing distance, plus I had concerns about playing video games on 75".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 47
In my opinion, if you plan on watching a lot of 4k bluray movies than HDR is worth it. HDR done right is probably the biggest advantage of 4k movies over HD, not just for the highlights but the expanded color. In the end it's your preference but I personally think you'd might notice the improvements of HDR more than 5 inches of screen.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
During the olympics, Dish Network had a 4K HDR channel, sometimes HDR would not kick in unless I changed channels back and forth- once it kicked in, the improvement was dramatic. This is on an OLED. HDR is a must, not getting it is a waste of money IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 82
If you can extend your budget a couple hundred more i recommend the Sony 65 X900E. It's a really solid TV with a great picture!
It's on sale now for 1700 at BB. You can drop down to the 65 X850E for 1100 on sale but the picture won't be nearly as good the 900.

And yes, you should get HDR now. You'll regret it later if you don't!
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 766
There's really no point in "upgrading" if you're not really upgrading. Might as well save up a little more and do it right, even if it's a lower end HDR TV. But at that size, your options are limited with that budget.

HDR makes a big difference when done properly, especially in a lot of the newer video games.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks everyone, seems pretty unanimous to go with the 65" HDR, I appreciate the feedback.

Now I'll just have to spend time comparing models - from researching the forums the Sony XBR65X900E appears to be the top choice. Apparently that's gotten as low as $1,500 on Amazon in the past couple months, so I'll keep on eye on that. My other 2 options currently are the LG 65SJ8500 and the Samsung UN65MU9000. Probably will go with the Sony as it's be best reviewed by both consumers and websites, but at least keeping my options open.

Thank you all again for the help!
pbz06 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
As others have said, definitely the 65" with HDR as based on my experience, that's really the key thing when it comes to UHD and hdr in games is great so if/when you eventually get a One S or One X or either PS4 (guessing you have the original Xbox One), you'll have HDR goodness in an increasing amount of games.

I also agree with the others about the 900E as it seems like the best option in that price range. I am having my parents get a 75" 900E (or maybe the F) for their main floor remodel when it is done. Very excited to be able to test it out.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k 65 , 4k 70 , hdr , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page