AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Samsung Launches 2018 QLED and 4K TVs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2962070-samsung-launches-2018-qled-4k-tvs.html)

imagic 03-07-2018 05:55 AM

Samsung Launches 2018 QLED and 4K TVs
 
At 11 am today, Samsung will officially unveil its 2018 TV lineup, including its latest QLEDs, in New York City. I am currently on a train headed there despite the impending storm. If all goes well, I will have coverage of this event to share (after I make it home in a rageing noreaster, that is). :eek:

Update... Althiugh I am stuck on a train due to the weather, Scott Wilkinson put together a post about the 2018 Samsungs. Click this link to read it: https://www.avsforum.com/2018-samsung...bars-unveiled/

Here's Samsung's Scott Cohen given a rundown of the 2018 QLED lineup's features:


rlindo 03-07-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55810048)
At 11 am today, Samsung will officially unveil its 2018 TV lineup, including its latest QLEDs, in New York City. I am currently on a train headed and there despite the impending storm. If all goes well, I will have coverage of this event to share (after I make it home in a rageing noreaster, that is). :eek:

Hope you won't run into any problems and be safe.

BFJ 96 03-07-2018 06:16 AM

Safe travels.. I'm in NYC and expected to get pretty bad in the next couple of hours

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

thunderbird1100 03-07-2018 06:57 AM

Amazon (of all places) leaked the QLED line yesterday, Vincent Teoh made a video.

Q9 and Q8 will be FALD, there will also be a Q7 and Q6. Q9 with more zones over Q8. Q7 and Q6 will continue to be edge lit with local dimming, Q7 with more dimmable zones than Q6.

Pricing was way less than the start of the 2017 QLED sets. 65" Q9 is now starting at just $3,799. The 65" Q6 just $2,199. There's a 75" Q6 for $3,499.

teachsac 03-07-2018 07:00 AM

Please be reminded that retail links are not permitted in the general forum areas.

Quote:

No street price talk or retail links please.

Cleveland Plasma 03-07-2018 07:05 AM

We will see how pricey the 75" plus FALD sets are......

imagic 03-07-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 (Post 55810394)
Amazon (of all places) leaked the QLED line yesterday, Vincent Teoh made a video.

Q9 and Q8 will be FALD, there will also be a Q7 and Q6. Q9 with more zones over Q8. Q7 and Q6 will continue to be edge lit with local dimming, Q7 with more dimmable zones than Q6.

Pricing was way less than the start of the 2017 QLED sets. 65" Q9 is now starting at just $3,799. The 65" Q6 just $2,199. There's a 75" Q6 for $3,499.

Lol, so be it. I'll have pretty pictures anyhow.

simolnx 03-07-2018 07:20 AM

Please ask if leds are located on the side for Q6/Q7...

Thank you :)

Sanookdi 03-07-2018 07:35 AM

Is there a live stream of the event?

rlindo 03-07-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanookdi (Post 55810612)
Is there a live stream of the event?

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-...reaming-video/

ray0414 03-07-2018 07:57 AM


ray0414 03-07-2018 08:26 AM

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1520438017

The Q8 will not be FALD in Europe, but fald everywhere else.

ray0414 03-07-2018 08:30 AM

Looks like Samsung will offer the FALD Q9 55"model. (might be region specific)


https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#175d9ef141cd

rlindo 03-07-2018 08:35 AM

This ambient mode stuff is pretty nifty.

I can't believe I am watching a press conference on a TV line...

3dprojector 03-07-2018 08:50 AM

Is the Color Matrix Filter replaced with QD?

Sanookdi 03-07-2018 08:52 AM

Sounds like the Q8FN will compete with the Sony 900F. This is going to be interesting!

BESLC 03-07-2018 09:00 AM

I watched the livestream, unless I did not hear correctly the full lineup including the Q9S will ship starting next month. The "WALL" later this year with Micro Led technology .

ray0414 03-07-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BESLC (Post 55811222)
I watched the livestream, unless I did not hear correctly the full lineup including the Q9S will ship starting next month. The "WALL" later this year with Micro Led technology .


I believe it will Launch in Korea 1st, and everywhere else in the 2nd half of this year.

rlindo 03-07-2018 09:13 AM

Too bad they didn't spend more time talking about the tech and improvements when it comes to PQ and less on the "smart tv" stuff which by the way, is a term I hate.

I'd love to go off on the NYT partnership yet I'll keep that to myself. It does cement my decision to go for an OLED as my next set rather than consider this Q9F so I guess I can thank Samsung for making the decision easier.

player002 03-07-2018 09:14 AM

I wonder how many zones the Q9 and Q8 have?

SUperEd007 03-07-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BESLC (Post 55811222)
I watched the livestream, unless I did not hear correctly the full lineup including the Q9S will ship starting next month. The "WALL" later this year with Micro Led technology .

wow and we all thought the micro led was a prototype and that we wouldn't see it for years .. Well surprise surprise .. Micro Led may just be a thing in 5 years affordable and beating out Oled ..

player002 03-07-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlindo (Post 55811296)
Too bad they didn't spend more time talking about the tech and improvements when it comes to PQ and less on the "smart tv" stuff which by the way, is a term I hate.

I'd love to go off on the NYT partnership yet I'll keep that to myself. It does cement my decision to go for an OLED as my next set rather than consider this Q9F so I guess I can thank Samsung for making the decision easier.

I have an Oled could not be any happier. I do think that Q9 and Q8 will have excellent PQ though. The Micro LED sets though should have an image quality to revival OLED.

BreakPoint 03-07-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 55811242)
I believe it will Launch in Korea 1st, and everywhere else in the 2nd half of this year.

According to some retailers (Value Electronics), they expect the Q9F and Q7 to be available Apr. 16. The Q9S later in the year. No word on the Q8 or Q6.

BESLC 03-07-2018 09:20 AM

Samsung site currently does not list the Q9S in the lineup.

I agree with above posts that the reveal was short on tech specs.

Sanookdi 03-07-2018 09:21 AM

Some early first-look and hands-on videos slowly filtering on to youtube.

SUperEd007 03-07-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlindo (Post 55811296)
Too bad they didn't spend more time talking about the tech and improvements when it comes to PQ and less on the "smart tv" stuff which by the way, is a term I hate.

I'd love to go off on the NYT partnership yet I'll keep that to myself. It does cement my decision to go for an OLED as my next set rather than consider this Q9F so I guess I can thank Samsung for making the decision easier.

Actually heres the link

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.forb...-revealed/amp/

Samsung 2018 QLED TVs: Full Details Finally Revealed

As for the q9 the pq has to be better.. First its Fald, 2000 nits peak is achieved, better black levels.. I dont know about that I think this set will compete with Oleds.. Oleds cant even reach half the amount of nits as the Samsung's.. There still stuck at under 1000k

Samsung's Q9FN TVs use direct LED lighting with local dimming. Which is a good thing
Also Hdr10 with Samsungs software it can convert to HDR10 +

ray0414 03-07-2018 09:23 AM

88"Q9F confirmed for USA only.

ray0414 03-07-2018 09:28 AM


SUperEd007 03-07-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 55811426)

there you go the q9 will compete with the Oled.. Theres some serious competion I was leaning Oled hmmm this has me sold that i have to take a closer look at this Q9... 2000 nits wow fald great black levels ...

ray0414 03-07-2018 09:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.