Samsung 65" Q9F 2018 QLED Hands-On & Review - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 564Likes

post #481 of 875 Old 04-05-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I believe Vincent Teoh is now I'm the camp that dynamic Metadata cannot be replaced. He said it on twitter the other day. But a flagship TV with 2000 nits and insane colors will probably be distracting enough to not really realize it. But all the tvs below that...
If HDR10 gets ICtCp support before the shootout, Q9FN will be hard to beat. If you don't know what you are missing, there's nothing to miss.

Side by side comparisons is the only way.

2000 nits doesn't fix shadow detail in dark scenes, dynamic metadata addresses that.

Can't wait until this thing is in BestBuy stores on display, so I can drool on it.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 875 Old 04-05-2018, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
In case anybody was still wondering Samsung confirmed Freesync on Q9 all the way down to Nu8000
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sam...c-and-vrr.html

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
post #483 of 875 Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 309
My local Best Buy put the Q8 up last week and the Q9 yesterday, my god the Q9 looks fantastic! There's a demo for blacks that turns off all the TVs except for the Q9, the blacks are inky and the best I've ever seen on an LED. I know with bright lights it's hard to judge black levels, but in-store the blacks look OLED quality. My KS8000 has developed bad light bleed over the last few months, if I can get the Geek Squad to replace I will pay extra for a Q9.
dreadnok89 and Glammer19 like this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 875 Old 04-06-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6495 Post(s)
Liked: 6475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
ive always said Samsung was too stubborn for dolby vision. but theres actually 2 different rumors going around the past week of Samsung having "discussions" about dolby vision. on top of that, a Samsung big wig accidently said last week at an event ""Our Samsung TV can decode no Dolby vision - at the moment" he was quickly run to by the other Samsung reps to correct him. so was it a complete accident or a huge slip? don't know. but we do know that there have been "changes" made behind the scenes since whats his name got out of prison.

http://www.4kfilme.de/samsung-dolby-vision-hdr/
Maybe there will do what sony did and release an update.......
post #485 of 875 Old 04-06-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigolo View Post
When is Scott's review going live?
Here! Here! I'd love to hear his thoughts now that he's had some time to live with the Q9F. Strange that he hasn't updated this thread in a while.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #486 of 875 Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Is there any word on the PWM frequency of the Q9F? Even if low-frequency PWM dimming does not actually cause a headache to the majority of people, and though it helps with motion clarity with motion interpolation applied, there is a problem with game mode - perceived duplicated edges in motion when and if the PWM frequency is double the actual frame rate. Perhaps the new lowish-lag game mode frame interpolation helps with this issue, too?

The NU8000 was measured by Rtings as 240 Hz PWM frequency (when LED Clear Motion is off) instead of the Samsung-typical 120 Hz, which means there might be some difference to the previous year with the Q9 as well.
post #487 of 875 Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Rtings now lists the Q9FN as purchased for review as well as the LG C8. Should be interesting to say the least.
rlindo, fafrd, Ozymandis and 6 others like this.
post #488 of 875 Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Maybe there will do what sony did and release an update.......
Yeah, maybe Dolby will release a new Samsung-specific DV profile that all the players and streaming providers have to implement to get DV working on Samsung sets... Oppo saw this coming, and they said enough is enough guys
post #489 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

Please i have question for all have Q9FN
whats is Panel Version
or if possible a photo where is the model name and all the TV information serial version...

Thank you very much

Last edited by aymen007; 04-07-2018 at 08:24 AM.
post #490 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I just spent an hour at Best Buy with the 2018 q9 65". I watched their demo reel and then viewed content on a thumb drive I brought that had things like 5% 50% grey.. recorded Witcher3 4k gameplay, photos, etc..
The BB q9 set was unfortunately out on the main floor not in dark magnolia room..

Here are my impressions.

The q9f hands down has the best overall picture I have seen far exceeding anything to date including Oleds.. There was nothing else even close on the floor including sony, Oled, 2017Q9. And in comparison the, middle grade TV's looked like washed out 1990's first gen hot garbage.. It was a stunning difference.
Especially In terms of micro and macro contrast, colour volume/saturation, Panel clarity (that 3d thre is no screen look)..

The q9f has a massive deep "wet" saturated high gamut color volume that was stunning. But it was the new anti glare screen that took that gamut to the next level and unlocked it's potential by giving the picture a true "through the screen" depth that only OLED had before. I can not overemphasis how important Samsung's New anti glare screen is for bringing the picture to living 3d through the window life. Nothing else comes close.

I looked for blooming and saw none. Pure White next to pure black produced no noticeable bloom which really IMO makes the q9f the first to have a true OLED look to the picture. Blacks where OLED like jet blacks as best I could tell (being out on the main floor).

I watched a withcher3 gameplay video recorded at night scene to look at shadow detail and look for DSE on dark scenes.. I am happy to report I could see NO DSE on dark panning scenery.. I am very sensitive to DSE so if it was there I believe I would have seen it.

Running on pure white or near pure white, there is however some "White" Dse on the q9F. I didn't see any of the white clouding in actual bright scenes, clouds, ets. however I plan to make some videos to further investigate this this as I think it could be the ONE weakness of the q9f. I will have to go back and explore if this is an issue. They did have some snow and cloud scenes in the demo reel and I didn't see this white dse show up on it.. so it may only be noticible on a pure white screen.. This white DSE is comming from the zones.. again, I did NOT see any dark scene DSE or 5% grey DSE which is probably more important.

One BIG surprise upon seeing the q9F in person that NO picture can capture.. To my eyes, the q9f had incredibly good Pixel response- meaning no motion trailing, blurring, smearing etc.. I am not talking about the motion handling/processing- I am talking specifically about the pixel response.. The q9f very much had an OLED look to ito the "lack" of pixel blur motion (it was that good). I know this has not been quantified yet but I could clearly see a huge difference between the q9f an other LED TVs.. This was big pleasant surprise for me as I can see this will make for an amazing Gamming and sports TV. The "temporal resolution" you can get with crisp pixel response is a Huge added bonus to this years model. It was better then any LCD I have seen to date (subjectively).

The q9f is now in BB retail stores display models. The picture is something you have to see in person. No words or pictures will do it justice you really have to see it to believe it. It was much better then I expected even regarding the high praise some have given it..

Samsung 2018 65" Q7FN 4k HDR Edgelit TV
Denon 2015 X1200W AVR
HTPC with I7, and 1080TI SLI
Klipsch RF 82 tower reference speakers. in full 5.1 config.
post #491 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcasual View Post
I just spent an hour at Best Buy with the 2018 q9 65". I watched their demo reel and then viewed content on a thumb drive I brought that had things like 5% 50% grey.. recorded Witcher3 4k gameplay, photos, etc..
The BB q9 set was unfortunately out on the main floor not in dark magnolia room..

Here are my impressions.

The q9f hands down has the best overall picture I have seen far exceeding anything to date including Oleds.. There was nothing else even close on the floor including sony, Oled, 2017Q9. And in comparison the, middle grade TV's looked like washed out 1990's first gen hot garbage.. It was a stunning difference.
Especially In terms of micro and macro contrast, colour volume/saturation, Panel clarity (that 3d thre is no screen look)..

The q9f has a massive deep "wet" saturated high gamut color volume that was stunning. But it was the new anti glare screen that took that gamut to the next level and unlocked it's potential by giving the picture a true "through the screen" depth that only OLED had before. I can not overemphasis how important Samsung's New anti glare screen is for bringing the picture to living 3d through the window life. Nothing else comes close.

I looked for blooming and saw none. Pure White next to pure black produced no noticeable bloom which really IMO makes the q9f the first to have a true OLED look to the picture. Blacks where OLED like jet blacks as best I could tell (being out on the main floor).

I watched a withcher3 gameplay video recorded at night scene to look at shadow detail and look for DSE on dark scenes.. I am happy to report I could see NO DSE on dark panning scenery.. I am very sensitive to DSE so if it was there I believe I would have seen it.

Running on pure white or near pure white, there is however some "White" Dse on the q9F. I didn't see any of the white clouding in actual bright scenes, clouds, ets. however I plan to make some videos to further investigate this this as I think it could be the ONE weakness of the q9f. I will have to go back and explore if this is an issue. They did have some snow and cloud scenes in the demo reel and I didn't see this white dse show up on it.. so it may only be noticible on a pure white screen.. This white DSE is comming from the zones.. again, I did NOT see any dark scene DSE or 5% grey DSE which is probably more important.

One BIG surprise upon seeing the q9F in person that NO picture can capture.. To my eyes, the q9f had incredibly good Pixel response- meaning no motion trailing, blurring, smearing etc.. I am not talking about the motion handling/processing- I am talking specifically about the pixel response.. The q9f very much had an OLED look to ito the "lack" of pixel blur motion (it was that good). I know this has not been quantified yet but I could clearly see a huge difference between the q9f an other LED TVs.. This was big pleasant surprise for me as I can see this will make for an amazing Gamming and sports TV. The "temporal resolution" you can get with crisp pixel response is a Huge added bonus to this years model. It was better then any LCD I have seen to date (subjectively).

The q9f is now in BB retail stores display models. The picture is something you have to see in person. No words or pictures will do it justice you really have to see it to believe it. It was much better then I expected even regarding the high praise some have given it..
Thanks for this thorough and detailed review! By any chance, did you get a chance to demo letterbox bars, and if so, how did they fare with HDR? Thanks!!
post #492 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 139
No, I did not get a chance to demo the letterbox bars. Unfortunately my BB has thier q8, q9 out on the main floor in the regular store light. So I can not see how the q9 does in night-time viewing. However they did have a 2017 q9 right next to it and even though both where in the regular store lights I could see a dramatic difference in black levels with the new q9 being significantly better.
I also watched the Q8 which was also on display. The q8 was just a tad less bright on the specular highlights then q9. However, even the q8 IMO just blew everything else out of the water including the Oled... Wasn't even a close call. The q8,q9 could easily hold thier own against Oled's down in the very dark scenes and simply blow the oleds away once you into brighter even mid bright scenes. The color gamut/volume of the new q-leds is insanely good.
The new Q-led's have a very rich tonality to the colors that can not be overstated.. Colors looked "INKY SOLID"... like Oled Solid, Like Kuro Plasma solid but even better. Like wet lipstick solid... Difficult to describe, but once you see it in person, you will understand. The tonality resolution, and color gamut just adds so much more depth and information to the image.. everything else on the floor honestly just looked like dim wax paper in comparison.

I hope someone else here can weigh in on their impressions of the Pixel response- clarity/sharpness of pixels in motion. To my eyes it was dramatic and looked much more like a plasma or oled fast pixel response then any LCD I have seen in the past. As a hardcore gamer, this is really a big deal to me...

Having now seen the 2018 Q-led... it is not a question of "if" but when I will buy. I'll probably wait for the mid summer price reduction.

Samsung 2018 65" Q7FN 4k HDR Edgelit TV
Denon 2015 X1200W AVR
HTPC with I7, and 1080TI SLI
Klipsch RF 82 tower reference speakers. in full 5.1 config.

Last edited by mlmcasual; 04-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #493 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
There is no soundbar, I'll get measurements on the one connect box, which is larger and heavier this year because it contains the power supply.
Still waiting on the dimensions for the Q9FN One Connect box! We're going to try to install that in the wall, which worked with the older box size. Would like to know the new size!
post #494 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcasual View Post
No, I did not get a chance to demo the letterbox bars. Unfortunately my BB has thier q8, q9 out on the main floor in the regular store light. So I can not see how the q9 does in night-time viewing. However they did have a 2017 q9 right next to it and even though both where in the regular store lights I could see a dramatic difference in black levels with the new q9 being significantly better.
I also watched the Q8 which was also on display. The q8 was just a tad less bright on the specular highlights then q9. However, even the q8 IMO just blew everything else out of the water including the Oled... Wasn't even a close call. The q8,q9 could easily hold thier own against Oled's down in the very dark scenes and simply blow the oleds away once you into brighter even mid bright scenes. The color gamut/volume of the new q-leds is insanely good.
The new Q-led's have a very rich tonality to the colors that can not be overstated.. Colors looked "INKY SOLID"... like Oled Solid, Like Kuro Plasma solid but even better. Like wet lipstick solid... Difficult to describe, but once you see it in person, you will understand. The tonality resolution, and color gamut just adds so much more depth and information to the image.. everything else on the floor honestly just looked like dim wax paper in comparison.

I hope someone else here can weigh in on their impressions of the Pixel response- clarity/sharpness of pixels in motion. To my eyes it was dramatic and looked much more like a plasma or oled fast pixel response then any LCD I have seen in the past. As a hardcore gamer, this is really a big deal to me...

Having now seen the 2018 Q-led... it is not a question of "if" but when I will buy. I'll probably wait for the mid summer price reduction.

I had the same exact impressions viewing both the q8 and 9 at bestbuy today. Incredible clarity and colors... even my 8 year old son thought it was a huge difference from the other sets viewed. Of course the wife " couldn't notice a difference". My problem is I need a 75 inch minimum for my huge wall in the basement and I'm not willing to pay samsung prices at the moment. I'll wait and see if there are significant price breaks. If not, I will seek an alternative route.
post #495 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blammar View Post
Still waiting on the dimensions for the Q9FN One Connect box! We're going to try to install that in the wall, which worked with the older box size. Would like to know the new size!
Measured just now, 15.5'' x 5.1'' x 3''

Good luck!

85Q70R
82Q70R
65Q9FN
post #496 of 875 Old 04-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrust-Bot View Post
Measured just now, 15.5'' x 5.1'' x 3''

Good luck!
Thanks for the unimaginably fast response!
post #497 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Update on when we can expect the review @imagic ? No rush, just askin, thxs.

Display: Samsung LN55B650
AVR: Denon 2809ci
Players: OPPO BDP-83 || Streaming: Amazon Fire TV || Kindle Fire HD8
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20v3 || CC-570v3 || ADP-470v3
Sub: JTR Captivator 2400ULF-10hz
post #498 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Quoted: 8897 Post(s)
Liked: 15688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorderl View Post
Update on when we can expect the review @imagic ? No rush, just askin, thxs.
The review, as it exists, will post today.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #499 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The review, as it exists, will post today.
Gonna be breaking the F5 button on my workstation today it seems.
post #500 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagrantZero View Post
and I've already placed a brace on my finger to avoid injury, lol
mikezilla2 and VagrantZero like this.

post #501 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagrantZero View Post
Cool, I'll put the first link in as a reply to this comment: https://www.avsforum.com/review-2018-...led-4k-hdr-tv/

OK, folks expecting me to be a mini rtings are not gonna love this review. But here's the deal, rtings is gonna do their thing, so I'm not doing those kinds of tests anymore. Just putting that out there.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #502 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Cool, I'll put the first link in as a reply to this comment: https://www.avsforum.com/review-2018-...led-4k-hdr-tv/

OK, folks expecting me to be a mini rtings are not gonna love this review. But here's the deal, rtings is gonna do their thing, so I'm not doing those kinds of tests anymore. Just putting that out there.

Did ANSI contrast remain in the 17k to 1 range?
post #503 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 603
CalMAN AutoCAL is "coming soon" according to Tyler Pruit.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #504 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Did ANSI contrast remain in the 17k to 1 range?
Yep, I figure calling it 15,000:1 to 20,000:1 encompasses what's going on there.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #505 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
CalMAN AutoCAL is "coming soon" according to Tyler Pruit.
Looking forward to it. Can't properly calibrate HDR without it and it's not really worth doing 20-point SDR either, at least not without it. I'm sure this 2018 Q9F has a bit more untapped potential with full calibration, I'll post about that when it happens.
AnotherDude likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #506 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blammar View Post
The dimensions are: 2.6" (H) x 15.3" (W) x 5.1" (D).

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-09-2018 at 04:55 PM.
post #507 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM

Hey @imagic , you mentioned "This TV recognizes speech", is that through the remote only? Thxs

post #508 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Hey @imagic , you mentioned "This TV recognizes speech", is that through the remote only? Thxs
Correct, and only when you push the button. There is no microphone in the TV itself and you do have to activate it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #509 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12557 Post(s)
Liked: 11736
Quote:

Bixby on the TV and on a Samsung phone with Bixby. I just watched a video demo today on this. It can done all via voice through your phone. For example "hey Bixby, turn on the TV". Your phone will turn the TV on. I'm sure you can more as well.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 04-09-2018 at 06:29 PM.
post #510 of 875 Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 603
It'd be great to see a family squabble shouting at Bixby over what they want to watch ...
rlindo likes this.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
q9f , qled , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version