2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11111Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyday2 View Post
Mine stopped controlling my Apple TV 4K as well. I went home and tested this right after work on the night you asked about it, and it wasn’t working, although it had worked perfectly the night before. Not sure if it was an Apple TV update or a Samsung update, but it’s still not working, even days later. I really hope someone figures out how to fix this!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow that sucks, but at least it might get a fix if this happens to more people! Mine has been like this for months though.

Also I had a look today and my tv has updated to the latest patch 1251 by itself, even though I don't have the Auto Update feature activated. When I looked a week ago I was not updated.
EggTV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Holland/The Netherlands
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Tomorrow morning the repair guy will come to my house and fix my Q9FN. I'm guessing it will be another panel or perhaps even a brand new one. But I'm not sure if the repair service does that.

But before I let them go again, I want to be sure this time it's all working properly. What should I check for? I'll be checking for screen uniformity, if the black levels are correct (they are ruined right now) if there aren't any real bad lines or green tinge effects when displaying white backgrounds.

What else?
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #9453 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Firmware Auto Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggTV View Post
Also I had a look today and my tv has updated to the latest patch 1251 by itself, even though I don't have the Auto Update feature activated. When I looked a week ago I was not updated.
According to pages 17 and 103 of the Samsung Q9FN E-Manual, the first time you activate/engage the Smart Hub feature, the firmware Auto Update setting will be set to ON as part of the Smart Hub "terms and conditions" which you have to agree to in order to use Smart Hub. If you had firmware Auto Update set to OFF before initially enabling Smart Hub, then you have to manually change Auto Update to OFF again once Smart Hub is configured (at least that's Samsung's official position). I believe you have to do the same thing if you ever perform a full factory reset via the user menus since Smart Hub is also reset when you do that. See an earlier post of mine about this on the Q8FN group by clicking the following link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57998908 .
4K Tech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9454 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Member
 
IronManFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have to say, I kind of chuckled at the widespread outrage at the "Long Night" episode of Game of Thrones. Watching on a Chad B calibrated Q9FN in a dark room, it was glorious. DSE be damned -- brightness is beautiful!!
FarleyUK likes this.
IronManFan is offline  
post #9455 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Newbie
 
cocous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everybody. Just i have one question about the HDMI hardware on this tv. I read in some reviews the TV is HDMI 2.1 ready and it take all futures with firmware upgrade. Honestly i want to believe it but i think all this it has to do with hardware and no software. And i ask if someone knows better for this.
And one second: The Q9fn can play 4k 120hz? Because this is future for HDMI 2.1 version.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G955F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
cocous is online now  
post #9456 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
bnewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Shepherdsville, Ky USA
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 15
looking at this tv as well as the Q90R & Sony Z9 & 950


How do these compare? I look the vibrant colors of the Samsung, but a lot of folks claim the Sony is better for sports due to better motion control
Also concerned about the uproar of diminished contrast due to wider viewing angles
Can any of the "differences" between these TV's be noticed by the "average joe"?


The OLED's have a great picture when demoing the store loop, but it makes sports look almost robotic the only time that I saw it

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017


May God Guide and Guard the USA!
bnewt is offline  
post #9457 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone know why I can't access the software update / auto update section of the settings menu? My TV is connected via WiFi, and I want to make sure auto-update is disabled, but the software update option in the settings menu is greyed out.
SimpleCRIPPLE is offline  
post #9458 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleCRIPPLE View Post
Anyone know why I can't access the software update / auto update section of the settings menu? My TV is connected via WiFi, and I want to make sure auto-update is disabled, but the software update option in the settings menu is greyed out.
You have to be watching live TV... Then you can access it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Brian_Barros is online now  
post #9459 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2speed125 View Post
It has something to do with the Samsung update as I've had issues controlling my Denon receiver with the smart remote ever since I updated to 1251. I did do a reset on the tv by holding the power button on the remote until the Samsung logo appeared and it seems to be working again but it's only been a day or so since I've done that.

My KS8000 randomly stopped sending audio via ARC the other day and after a bunch of menu toggling I found a website that said to just turn off my power strip (basically hard power cycle everything). Sure enough the TV rebooted and ARC started working again, so it could be a Samsung thing. Also HDMI is sooooooo annoying
Mike Credelle is offline  
post #9460 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
You have to be watching live TV... Then you can access it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks. Got it sorted shortly after posting.

For the Apple TV owners out there, after upgrading to 1251, my Apple TV 4k still works with the Samsung remote.
SimpleCRIPPLE is offline  
post #9461 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Flickering in Standard and Game mode is not a problem. You can use Movie mode where PWM freaquency is 480Hz. Problem is when you turn Auto Motion Plus on you'll get 120Hz flicker again. If you are sensitive to such thing you'll get real pain ass. Sony TV where PWM freaquency is higher or OLED are only solution in that case.
In which cases or scenarios does the flicker appear?

I only noticed it once on 'The Sinner' show on Netflix, during a panning shot.

Haven't noticed it again.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Sensamix is offline  
post #9462 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
TV flickers constantly. More severe on minimal brightness.
Dimon.Zorg is offline  
post #9463 of 10494 Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Flickering in Standard and Game mode is not a problem. You can use Movie mode where PWM freaquency is 480Hz. Problem is when you turn Auto Motion Plus on you'll get 120Hz flicker again. If you are sensitive to such thing you'll get real pain ass. Sony TV where PWM freaquency is higher or OLED are only solution in that case.
No wonder why I keep going back to keeping it off. IMO I find leaving it off the best all around scenario

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Brian_Barros is online now  
post #9464 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 05:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
No wonder why I keep going back to keeping it off. IMO I find leaving it off the best all around scenario

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I have it in auto and 0/0 on both options, like rtings suggested, and it looks good to me this way.

I've tried disabling it and still wasn't perfect, but I'll give it another try.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
Sensamix is offline  
post #9465 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I do not understand why with a PC + 1050IT video card
I get less good quality
From a movie via USB or a TV app ???
la1vi9872 is offline  
post #9466 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
I have it in auto and 0/0 on both options, like rtings suggested, and it looks good to me this way.

I've tried disabling it and still wasn't perfect, but I'll give it another try.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
There's moments where 0/0 looks better as the tv can't remove judder from some sources when it's off. I stream most of what I watch and the rest is OTA. I'm guessing that because of what I watch I don't have the need to turn it on? I just know that when I do have it on there's instances where judder is introduced to scenes that didn't have it while it's off. Or the motion is a little blurry

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Brian_Barros is online now  
post #9467 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Moonwalker1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Holland/The Netherlands
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Talking about bad luck man, **** this ****.

Samsung repair service arrived at my place this morning. The guy immediately noticed the problem when I turned the TV on. He replaced the panel with a new one. But as luck would have it.... the exact same issue continues to exist. He called with a coworker, they didn't seem familiar with this issue. The guy is almost 100% certain that the mainboard is the culprit here. He told me it should be there next week, because they didn't bring on and it needs to be ordered.

I decided to call the store, explained it all. Asked if I can make use of their policy now about if a repair takes too long I get a new TV from them. They explained the policy. If within six weeks the problem hasn't been solved they will offer a new one. It's been almost two weeks now, so next week would make it three weeks. It's not too bad honestly but it still sucks a great deal.
Moonwalker1982 is offline  
post #9468 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post
Talking about bad luck man, **** this ****.



Samsung repair service arrived at my place this morning. The guy immediately noticed the problem when I turned the TV on. He replaced the panel with a new one. But as luck would have it.... the exact same issue continues to exist. He called with a coworker, they didn't seem familiar with this issue. The guy is almost 100% certain that the mainboard is the culprit here. He told me it should be there next week, because they didn't bring on and it needs to be ordered.



I decided to call the store, explained it all. Asked if I can make use of their policy now about if a repair takes too long I get a new TV from them. They explained the policy. If within six weeks the problem hasn't been solved they will offer a new one. It's been almost two weeks now, so next week would make it three weeks. It's not too bad honestly but it still sucks a great deal.
Hopefully they fix it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Brian_Barros is online now  
post #9469 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
I do not understand why with a PC + 1050IT video card
I get less good quality
From a movie via USB or a TV app ???
Use madVR, I can send you my settings if you want (for UHD, HD, SD, and HDR passthrough)
There is nothing that looks better than madVR + a good graphic card (all processings are done by your GC and you need a good one but GTX 1050 should be fine)
KwizatZ is offline  
post #9470 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,586
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6688 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangekyou Sharingan View Post
I'm currently on my 6th panel, and I have to say this tv really sucks. Motion Interpolation sucks and it suffers from DSE and banding issues. The only reason I decided to keep it is because the 75" is so cheap compared to 77" OLeds. This will be my last Samsung LCD tv
Sory to hear this, it is not a one size/technology fits all, if you went thru 6 units its time to pick a different technology or manufacturer.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #9471 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Q9FN Bros. It seems no one knows what firmware 1251 did.

I, too, do not know what it did.

But I, for one, wonder if others do. I was watching a QA video (shhh, just wait. I know 87% of you just stopped reading), and he was trying to bash the firmware like always. But he did mention he noticed more shadow detail.

Granted, this was on his Q8FN - but perhaps this means that the algorithm is a bit less aggressive? Anyone want to take a stab at looking at scenes that were hilariously crushed before? I havent had mine long enough to really be familiar with what to expect from the detailing.
crono311 is offline  
post #9472 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono311 View Post
Q9FN Bros. It seems no one knows what firmware 1251 did.



I, too, do not know what it did.



But I, for one, wonder if others do. I was watching a QA video (shhh, just wait. I know 87% of you just stopped reading), and he was trying to bash the firmware like always. But he did mention he noticed more shadow detail.



Granted, this was on his Q8FN - but perhaps this means that the algorithm is a bit less aggressive? Anyone want to take a stab at looking at scenes that were hilariously crushed before? I havent had mine long enough to really be familiar with what to expect from the detailing.
The UI is more fluid

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Brian_Barros is online now  
post #9473 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
The UI is more fluid

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
For me Local Dimming has somewhat improved in the dim low contrast scenes and response to calibration also somewhat improved.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205, Radiance 2143
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
AnotherDude is online now  
post #9474 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
For me Local Dimming has somewhat improved in the dim low contrast scenes and response to calibration also somewhat improved.
If local dimming has improved, you know exactly what that means.

1251 makes the Q9FN objectively better than the Q90r. High five, bros.
crono311 is offline  
post #9475 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono311 View Post
If local dimming has improved, you know exactly what that means.



1251 makes the Q9FN objectively better than the Q90r. High five, bros.
Now if we can get a motion upgrade

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
crono311 likes this.
Brian_Barros is online now  
post #9476 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono311 View Post
but perhaps this means that the algorithm is a bit less aggressive? Anyone want to take a stab at looking at scenes that were hilariously crushed before?
No black crush.
Dimon.Zorg is offline  
post #9477 of 10494 Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Newbie
 
cocous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocous View Post
Hello everybody. Just i have one question about the HDMI hardware on this tv. I read in some reviews the TV is HDMI 2.1 ready and it take all futures with firmware upgrade. Honestly i want to believe it but i think all this it has to do with hardware and no software. And i ask if someone knows better for this.
And one second: The Q9fn can play 4k 120hz? Because this is future for HDMI 2.1 version.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G955F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Anyone to have awnser about this?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G955F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
cocous is online now  
post #9478 of 10494 Old 05-08-2019, 01:41 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwizatZ View Post
Use madVR, I can send you my settings if you want (for UHD, HD, SD, and HDR passthrough)
There is nothing that looks better than madVR + a good graphic card (all processings are done by your GC and you need a good one but GTX 1050 should be fine)

Thank you for

 your settings (for UHD, HD, SD, and HDR passthrough)
la1vi9872 is offline  
post #9479 of 10494 Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
Thank you for

 your settings (for UHD, HD, SD, and HDR passthrough)
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ck-on-windows/

Once done just unzip my settings file in your madVR folder.
While watching a movie press CTRL-J to show procesing OSD or CTRL-S for maVR settings
Attached Files
File Type: zip settings.zip (15.5 KB, 15 views)
KwizatZ is offline  
post #9480 of 10494 Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocous View Post
Anyone to have awnser about this?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G955F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Samsung has never said anything about HDMI 2.1 on the Q9FN. It has some features like ALLM and Freesync, but no true 2.1. Even the 2019 Q90R does not have 2.1 and no word from Samsung if they will offer it. In short, no 2.1 and we will not get 2.1.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off