2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11110Likes

post #9541 of 10447 Old 05-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggbrother View Post
I have a couple of questions related to settings...

1. Is it possible to save picture setting presets? I've read through the long and helpful setting thread here and I noticed members typically have different settings for SDR and HDR. The problem is that content can be either one and it's a bit annoying to have to go in and change settings depending whether I am watching SDR or HDR content. Hoping for a shortcut...

2. When in Picture settings, I noticed there is the option to apply the settings to "All Sources" or "Current Source". This doesn't seem to help me with problem but it makes me wonder what is considered a "source"? Does it mean HDMI1, HDMI 2, etc, or does it mean the application that I am currently in? For example, if I save new picture settings while watching Netflix, can I also save separate settings for HBO Go while in that app? Right now the only video output device connected to the TV an Xbox One X, so I am hoping "source" means apps as well.

HDR and SDR settings are saved independently of each other, even within the same preset. You can also save settings per individual hardware input (for both HDR and SDR). You shouldn't have to be applying these on the fly.

I don't think you can save settings per app, but I don't use any inbuilt apps and could easily be mistaken.
How do I create any presets? Do I need to access the Service menu? Right now I am going into Settings>Picture>Expert Settings and changing the settings depending what I am watching. Couldn't find any presets feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 10447 Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
How do I create any presets? Do I need to access the Service menu? Right now I am going into Settings>Picture>Expert Settings and changing the settings depending what I am watching. Couldn't find any presets feature.

The presets are your various picture modes....i.e Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie (and if activated Cal-Day and Cal-Night). You can adjust the settings for these modes as you've already been doing in the Expert Settings submenu. If you are currently on an SDR source and change picture settings it will save them as appropriate and when on an HDR source it will save those settings independently. As you toggle back and forth between SDR and HDR content the display will automatically change to the last settings that you configured for that content type.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #9543 of 10447 Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Anyone use a shield TV with their set instead of the built in apps? Prefer it better? Does motion seem better as you can set the output on it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9544 of 10447 Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked: 6645
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono311 View Post
Right now, the Q90R is supposedly the better panel - but the Q9FN is without question the better deal.
That it right there.......No question.
Tony1 likes this.
post #9545 of 10447 Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
The presets are your various picture modes....i.e Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie (and if activated Cal-Day and Cal-Night). You can adjust the settings for these modes as you've already been doing in the Expert Settings submenu. If you are currently on an SDR source and change picture settings it will save them as appropriate and when on an HDR source it will save those settings independently. As you toggle back and forth between SDR and HDR content the display will automatically change to the last settings that you configured for that content type.
Ahhh, I see. Makes sense. Thanks!
post #9546 of 10447 Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Anyone use a shield TV with their set instead of the built in apps? Prefer it better? Does motion seem better as you can set the output on it?

I use Shield TV's for all streaming. I don't use the built in apps so can't speak to how well it performs in relation. I do like my Shield TV's quite a lot though, but that's partly because I really like the Android TV platform and Google Assistant simply stomps all over Bixby. I'm not especially sensitive to motion issues and I've never seen anything I would call a deal breaker.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #9547 of 10447 Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use Shield TV's for all streaming. I don't use the built in apps so can't speak to how well it performs in relation. I do like my Shield TV's quite a lot though, but that's partly because I really like the Android TV platform and Google Assistant simply stomps all over Bixby. I'm not especially sensitive to motion issues and I've never seen anything I would call a deal breaker.
Overall I think motion is great on this TV. I just know that on the shield you can select which frequency you want the shield to output. Going back and forth I don't notice much of a difference other than a smaller boost in color. Built in app menus in the TV are way more saturated. But actual content the TV apps have more pop to them compared to the shells shield

post #9548 of 10447 Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post
Question

Do you guys use contrast enhancer with HDR sources at all or leave it off? I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda now and it's in HDR and the difference in terms of brightness between off and low is significant, rather big difference really.

On the other hand, with contrast enhancer off light sources like fire and lights seem to "pop" more. I'm gonna assume that leaving contrast enhancer off is "best" right?
I have it off for everything.

Had it on high at first but it makes skins look worse, for example. And I feel like it makes the whole image less real.

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #9549 of 10447 Old 05-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post
The black levels are most definitely up there with OLED. I watched season 1 episode 5 of Stranger Things today and one scene with Eleven has her walking in a pitch black location and sure enough it truly is pitch black, inky black levels.
I watched that scene last week and it just feels like OLED, but with no burn-in risk and more brightness!

post #9550 of 10447 Old 05-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of questions related to settings...

1. Is it possible to save picture setting presets? I've read through the long and helpful setting thread here and I noticed members typically have different settings for SDR and HDR. The problem is that content can be either one and it's a bit annoying to have to go in and change settings depending whether I am watching SDR or HDR content. Hoping for a shortcut...

2. When in Picture settings, I noticed there is the option to apply the settings to "All Sources" or "Current Source". This doesn't seem to help me with problem but it makes me wonder what is considered a "source"? Does it mean HDMI1, HDMI 2, etc, or does it mean the application that I am currently in? For example, if I save new picture settings while watching Netflix, can I also save separate settings for HBO Go while in that app? Right now the only video output device connected to the TV an Xbox One X, so I am hoping "source" means apps as well.
Where is the settings thread? I'd love to read that.

post #9551 of 10447 Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How does this TV compare to the q90?
Having a hard time picking

Last edited by bnewt; 05-21-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #9552 of 10447 Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post

I can’t say the shield looks better not that’s it’s horrible just the built in Netflix for example in hdr anyway. Now the Apple TV 4K in hdr looks better then the built in apps I think. No offense meant just what I see anyway.
Brian_Barros likes this.
post #9553 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What settings are people using for game mode?

post #9554 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody.

I just unpacked my 65Q9FN today and upon initial inspection, I have realized that there are two vertical lines, about 5cm each, at the very edges of the screen, left and right, that seem less bright than the rest of the screen. As if the backlight was not even in those areas.

There's also a 5cm horizontal line at the bottom edge of the screen which has a purple-ish hue, more noticeable when the displayed images are bright (snowy scenes, etc).

Are those known problems of the panel? Should I expect those to go away after some hours of use?

Thanks.
post #9555 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrpr View Post
Hi everybody.

I just unpacked my 65Q9FN today and upon initial inspection, I have realized that there are two vertical lines, about 5cm each, at the very edges of the screen, left and right, that seem less bright than the rest of the screen. As if the backlight was not even in those areas.

There's also a 5cm horizontal line at the bottom edge of the screen which has a purple-ish hue, more noticeable when the displayed images are bright (snowy scenes, etc).

Are those known problems of the panel? Should I expect those to go away after some hours of use?

Thanks.
No, sounds like a defect.

post #9556 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got around to playing more games than just destiny 2. Man I have to say hands down the best gaming TV ever. Response, motion everything is amazing on all the games I've played. Local dimming seems just fine to me. Colors are rich. Black is black ect

FarleyUK likes this.
post #9557 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 PM

This is a photo I just took of my panel with a completely white background. Hope that the purple hue that I was talking about can be seen at the bottom.
post #9558 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM

post #9559 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everybody.

Thanks.
I'm in the exact same position with my 65" set except for the bottom edge problem. Anyone else have experience with these problems? TV was made in Slovakia.

EDIT: I also have a fair bit of purplish hue along the bottom edge.

Last edited by kodbert; 05-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #9560 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodbert View Post
I'm in the exact same position with my 65" set except for the bottom edge problem. Anyone else have experience with these problems? TV was made in Slovakia.

EDIT: I also have a fair bit of purplish hue along the bottom edge.
I just checked and mine was made in Slovakia too.
post #9561 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just checked and mine was made in Slovakia too.
Where is that info

post #9562 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 02:45 PM

What version of panel do you have?
Its on the barcode, back of the TV.
Its says version:01 or 02 etc...

Mine is also from Slovakia, version 01.
Apart from litlle DSE no problems.
post #9563 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok3206 View Post

Mine is version 04 from Slovakia. Same problems that smrpr has, though slightly more pronounced judging by the photo.
post #9564 of 10447 Old 05-18-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok3206 View Post

Mine is version 04.
post #9565 of 10447 Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Is that in a particular scene or the whole movie?
From 16.20 onwards. See pic. Corners are pretty much blacked out when there should be plenty of stars. Increasing Brightness improves but at the expense of some washout.

Compare to an OLED or a set with less aggressive local dimming / edge lit and its clear that this is Black Crush. Vincent Teo pointed this out to in his review.

It's even more obvious in a Daredevil Season 3 episode (I'll try and find). In one scene, Madhawi is wearing a jet black coat with black buttons. With Brightness at 0, the buttons are invisible - the coat is just a black patch. Brightness at 1 shows the buttons.

Tell me that's not black crush.

PS Brightness at 0 is the correct setting for this set. On any decent Pluge pattern, level 17 should be barely visible in a pitch black room (black level should rise very slowly from 16). Turning up brightness to 1 make 17 very obvious and incorrect.

It's the aggressive local dimming at fault here - which Samsung are never going to fix looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gravity.jpg.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	2569062  
post #9566 of 10447 Old 05-19-2019, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasa123 View Post
From 16.20 onwards. See pic. Corners are pretty much blacked out when there should be plenty of stars. Increasing Brightness improves but at the expense of some washout.

Compare to an OLED or a set with less aggressive local dimming / edge lit and its clear that this is Black Crush. Vincent Teo pointed this out to in his review.

It's even more obvious in a Daredevil Season 3 episode (I'll try and find). In one scene, Madhawi is wearing a jet black coat with black buttons. With Brightness at 0, the buttons are invisible - the coat is just a black patch. Brightness at 1 shows the buttons.

Tell me that's not black crush.

PS Brightness at 0 is the correct setting for this set. On any decent Pluge pattern, level 17 should be barely visible in a pitch black room (black level should rise very slowly from 16). Turning up brightness to 1 make 17 very obvious and incorrect.

It's the aggressive local dimming at fault here - which Samsung are never going to fix looks like.
I see what you mean. I get a small amount of that but nothing that extreme, I would not have noticed otherwise.

I use a couple of pluge patterns to check my shadow detail and after a proper calibration with Brightness at 0 I can just make out 17 in the HDMV disc Black Clipping pattern, and also check the pluge pattern in the Joe Kane DVE disc.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205, Radiance 2143
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #9567 of 10447 Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys, question for ya all.
So I may be considering finally upgrading from my trusty WDC9 Mitsubishi DLP RPTV ... which to this day has been nothing but an amazing set and is going on 10yrs old now. Im seeing some good prices for Q9FN on ebay, around $1850 new, it seems like not a bad deal to get last years flagship at this price. Im just wondering is the "panel lottery" worth it when buying online?
The whole panel lottery thing and knowing all the variables w/ newer sets .. kinda scares me. My DLP set has no such lottery other than slight corner luminance fade and lines not being perfectly straight in some areas ... but that is nothing compared to all the potential lottery problems with newer displays =( ... so Im on the fence.
Anywho, Im wondering if Q9FN lottery is worth it over say this years Q80R series (they are similarly priced) and perhaps getting a Q80R at a physical store until Im satisfied w/ the lottery of my purchase.
What would you guys recommend?
post #9568 of 10447 Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone else's Q9FN rebooting randomly after the last firmware update? I've had the panel since March and it was rock solid. After the auto update to the lasted firmware 10 days or so ago, my panel will randomly reboot on its own. Happens no more than every couple days or so, but still pretty annoying after having months without a single hiccup.
post #9569 of 10447 Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Not sure what happened to yday's Gravity posts but it looks so much better in Standard mode. Local dimming is not as intrusive and starfield much brighter. This is with all the basic setting same as Movie mode.
post #9570 of 10447 Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM

Would you turn off completely local dimming from the service menu in favor of not having these issues? I'm considering it tbh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page