2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11022Likes

post #9601 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicronic View Post
A question regarding the Q9FN.

As it doesn't support Dolby Vision, what happens when you play a disc, for example, with Dolby Vision support.

Does it just play the content without DV or switch to HDR10+

I've read about the latter being the case but wanted to check here.

Dolby Vision Blu-ray discs have:
- main HDR10 layer and
- DV enhancement layer.
With Q9FN which DV is not supported, the main HDR10 layer is displayed only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post
Do you guys use the cinema/movie picture mode for movies and shows? I went for standard because I really don't like how the whites are more like yellow with cinema picture mode.

However, I feel like I could alter there settings a little, especially for HDR, to truly benefit from HDR. Someone told me it's a good idea to disable local dimming for HDR content, but isn't that nonsense? What settings for HDR?
Yes, that's nonsense.
HDR is not only about how bright the picture gets. Contrast is king.
You really need FALD to achieve proper HDR picture on LCDs.
Local dimming at high is recommended on this set for HDR.
post #9603 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16RS View Post
Recently pulled the trigger on a 75" and I've spent the last few days reading through this very informative thread while I anticipate delivery.

I know as it is a 2018 model, none of you have had one of these for too long, so most are probably still under Samsung warranty, but what is the consensus on adding a Squaretrade (or similar) warranty? The "panel lottery" notwithstanding, it seems some of you have had some issues so I'm not sure if it's standard practice on these higher end units or not.

I've had Sony and Samsung sets and never had any issues, but the Q9FN will definitely be the nicest one I've owned and first 4k.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Can't wait to get this thing delivered!
You might be interested in reading my recent SquareTrade experience at the following link when I had to invoke my ST warranty for my failing 2015 65" Samsung JS8500, which ST replaced with a brand new 65" 2018 Q8FN model via one of their suppliers (I also had the option of selecting a 65" LG OLED65B7A but didn't want to deal with possible OLED image retention issues):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57974882

If you happen to be a Costco member, you can purchase the ST warranty from Costco even if you didn't purchase the TV there, provided you purchased the TV from an authorized Samsung seller and you purchase the Costco ST warranty within 60 days of taking delivery of the TV -- that's what I ended up doing since I purchased my JS8500 from Amazon and my ST warranty a few weeks later from my local Costco warehouse, without issue. In my experience, the small dollar investment for the ST warranty vis-a-vis the major dollar investment for the TV, and ending up with an improved model four years later, was well worth it. I did have to sacrifice 3D functionality in the process since it's no longer offered by any manufacturer, but on the flip side I did upgrade from an edge-lit SUHD model to a FALD QLED model.
Keithian likes this.

Last edited by 4K Tech; 05-23-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9604 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has used or is using the HDMI ARC on this model? I have an entry level Samsung 4K and HDMI ARC doesn't work...yea tried all the work-arounds too. Read others with high-end Samsung's were having the same issues so wondered how it's working with this TV. Anyone?
Yes probably almost all of us.
post #9605 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
You might be interested in reading my recent SquareTrade experience at the following link when I had to invoke my ST warranty for my failing 2015 65" Samsung JS8500, which ST replaced with a brand new 65" 2018 Q8FN model via one of their suppliers (I also had the option of selecting a 65" LG OLED65B7A but didn't want to deal with possible OLED image retention issues):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57974882

If you happen to be a Costco member, you can purchase the ST warranty from Costco even if you didn't purchase the TV there, provided you purchased the TV from an authorized Samsung seller and you purchase the Costco ST warranty within 60 days of taking delivery of the TV -- that's what I ended up doing since I purchased my JS8500 from Amazon and my ST warranty a few weeks later from my local Costco warehouse, without issue. In my experience, the small dollar investment for the ST warranty vis-a-vis the major dollar investment for the TV, and ending up with an improved model four years later, was well worth it. I did have to sacrifice 3D functionality in the process since it's no longer offered by any manufacturer, but on the flip side I did upgrade from an edge-lit SUHD model to a FALD QLED model.
I had no idea you could do that. Thank you for the information. Has anyone used ST before? Are they easy to deal with when you need them?
post #9606 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thank you Nillaz and 4K. Great info regarding your ST experience. Seems like that's the way to go. Looks like they offer a 4 year plan + the 1 year from Samsung so 5 years of sleeping good at night is probably well worth the cost of the warranty.
post #9607 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Do you guys use the cinema/movie picture mode for movies and shows? I went for standard because I really don't like how the whites are more like yellow with cinema picture mode.

However, I feel like I could alter there settings a little, especially for HDR, to truly benefit from HDR. Someone told me it's a good idea to disable local dimming for HDR content, but isn't that nonsense? What settings for HDR?

I exclusively use Cinema/Movie mode, I keep trying other settings but I always end up disliking it. I did the same on my previous TVs from Samsung and Vizio too, so it is just a personal preference.
post #9608 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
What's up with the Youtube app on the Q9FN? I can't see anything. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, logging out and logging back in, even switching between Netflix and Youtube. It still won't show me the content. I am on the latest update 1251. The only thing that works is disconnecting the OCB for 20 seconds. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, Vudu app still doesn't work properly. Netflix (4K) and Hulu have no issues.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
I'v got the same issue. Starting happening with 1251. The YouTube app shows it was updated a couple days ago, but it's still happening. The fastest way to force a refresh that I've found is to sign in to the guest profile on the YouTube app, then sign right back in to your personal profile. The profile loads force the app to refresh.

Not a fan of 1251.
buju22 and Keithian like this.
post #9609 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 01:21 PM

SquareTrade extended warranty

Quote:
Thank you Nillaz and 4K. Great info regarding your ST experience. Seems like that's the way to go. Looks like they offer a 4 year plan + the 1 year from Samsung so 5 years of sleeping good at night is probably well worth the cost of the warranty.
Just to be clear, according to info posted on Costco's website, whether you receive 5 years of total warranty coverage for a Costco-purchased SquareTrade warranty vs. 4 years of total warranty coverage for a Costco-purchased SquareTrade warranty depends on where you purchased the television. The 5 years worth of coverage is available if you purchase the SquareTrade warranty from Costco and the television too (they do not have to be purchased simultaneously though, since you have 90 days from Costco TV purchase date to make up your mind on the ST extended warranty purchase decision, but sometimes Costco has an incentive if you purchase both at the same time, such as a free soundbar, a free subscription to a streaming service for a set period of time, purchase price rebate, etc.). Obviously, this 5 year plan is only possible if Costco happens to sell the make/model of television you desire. The warranty coverage in this scenario involves 3 entities, and breaks down as follows:

Year 1 = Manufacturer warranty coverage
Year 2 = Costco Concierge Services warranty coverage
Years 3-5 = SquareTrade warranty coverage

If, however, you purchase the television from a non-Costco authorized Samsung reseller and the SquareTrade warranty from Costco within 60 days of television delivery date (the operative term being "authorized reseller" as shown here: https://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmi...resellers.html), then the total coverage is reduced by 1 year -- from 5 years to 4 years -- and involves 2 entities, as follows:

Year 1 = Manufacturer warranty coverage
Years 2-4 = SquareTrade warranty coverage

The ST warranty registration process is a simple one, everything's handled online at the following web page: https://www.squaretrade.com/web-app/registration/launch.
Keithian likes this.
post #9610 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 PM

I don't have a Costco membership, so I was just looking at ST warranties directly on their website.
post #9611 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 05:36 PM

SquareTrade extended warranty

Quote:
I don't have a Costco membership, so I was just looking at ST warranties directly on their website.
I don't want to turn this Q9FN owner's forum into a SquareTrade forum, so I'll just leave it at this: unless you are located somewhere on the globe where Costco membership isn't available, purchasing a Costco membership in order to purchase the 3-year SquareTrade warranty from Costco is actually a better deal than purchasing the warranty directly from SquareTrade (unless you find a steep ST discount coupon/code somewhere online). Here's a quickie cost breakdown (hopefully the forum's "no price talk" rule does not apply to extended warranties ):

With Costco membership:
* Least expensive Costco annual membership = $60.00
* 3-year ST warranty purchased through Costco.com = $99.99 (caveat: TV must be from an authorized reseller AND delivered no more than 60 days prior to warranty purchase date)
* Total for annual Costco membership + Costco 3-year ST warranty = $60.00 + $99.99 = $159.99
* Effective cost per year of ST warranty = $159.99/3 = $53.33

vs.

Without Costco membership (amounts are via ST's website and assume no additional "secret" online discount codes from RetailMeNot.com, etc.):
* 2-year protection plan = $169.99 (caveat: warranty must be purchased within 30 days from TV delivery date, or, 30 days from TV purchase date if no delivery service was involved)
* 3-year protection plan = not offered directly from ST
* 4-year protection plan = $349.99 (same caveat applies as 2-year plan)
* Warranty cost per year for 2-year plan = $169.99/2 = $85.00
* Warranty price per year for 4-year plan = $349.99/4 = $87.50

Thus, the ST warranty purchased through Costco is a better per-year deal inclusive of the membership fee, provided the aforementioned seller and time restrictions are met.

There may be other alternatives out there to SquareTrade, but I have no experience with those. Also, if you purchased your TV with a credit card, your card issuer may offer doubling of the 1-year Samsung warranty, so there's that possibility too, but be sure to check the issuer's fine print for any other program requirements.

Good luck with your warranty decision.
post #9612 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
That's how i felt/feel. I found Movie Mode/Warm2 too yellowish/red and dull compared to Standard. Just could not adjust to to. I then started calibrating my set with meters and, now, Movie mode looks much better. Colours like snow, blue skies, grass looks natural now.

The key hers is WB/Grayscale - get that plugged in and it improves the picture massively. Problem is that this TV is a massive pain to calibrate and, out of the box, it's rubbish. God knows how AVForum gave it a reference star rating - it's nowhere near.

NB - For some TV shows I switch to Standard - certainly for Sports/News etc, Standard looks better. Movies always Movie/Warm2 - not that I have been through my full collection yet

PS - am still calibrating after some mare no-idea-whats-going-on with this TV stuff.

Honestly, if I could return the Q9FN, I would and switch to Panasonic/LG OLED. And then have sleepless nights about burn-in. Sigh.
post #9613 of 10086 Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 PM

SquareTrade extended warranty revisited

Quote:
With Costco membership:
* 3-year ST warranty purchased through Costco.com = $99.99 (caveat: TV must be from an authorized reseller AND delivered no more than 60 days prior to warranty purchase date)
* Total for annual Costco membership + Costco 3-year ST warranty = $60.00 + $99.99 = $159.99

vs.

Without Costco membership (amounts are via ST's website and assume no additional "secret" online discount codes from RetailMeNot.com, etc.):
* 2-year protection plan = $169.99 (caveat: warranty must be purchased within 30 days from TV delivery date, or, 30 days from TV purchase date if no delivery service was involved)

Thus, the ST warranty purchased through Costco is a better per-year deal inclusive of the membership fee, provided the aforementioned seller and time restrictions are met.
Upon closer reading of the various SquareTrade warranty coverage durations on their website, I came upon an important critical point which was not readily obvious initially: the number of years of coverage stated in the titles of their various protection plans is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty period. Therefore, ST's "2-year protection plan" is actually a 1-year extended warranty since ST includes the first year of manufacturer's warranty as part of their "2-year protection plan." Ditto for the 4-year protection plan -- that coverage consists of 1 year of manufacturer's warranty plus 3 years of ST coverage. This makes a SquareTrade warranty purchased from Costco vs. a SquareTrade warranty purchased directly from SquareTrade an even better deal from Costco ($53.33/year including the Costco membership vs. the now-revised figures for warranties purchased through SquareTrade.com, namely, $169.99 for the ST "2-year protection plan" and $116.66/year for the ST "4-year protection plan" ($349.99/3 years = $116.66/year for 3 years worth of extended ST coverage under the ST "4-year plan").

Sorry for revisiting this topic yet again, but this important point (the 2-year protection plan means 1 year of extended coverage, and the 4-year protection plan means 3 years of extended coverage) is worth mentioning for those considering buying a ST warranty directly from SquareTrade.com.

Last edited by 4K Tech; 05-23-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #9614 of 10086 Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
With Costco membership:

vs.

Upon closer reading of the various SquareTrade warranty coverage durations on their website, I came upon an important critical point which was not readily obvious initially: the number of years of coverage stated in the titles of their various protection plans is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty period. Therefore, ST's "2-year protection plan" is actually a 1-year extended warranty since ST includes the first year of manufacturer's warranty as part of their "2-year protection plan." Ditto for the 4-year protection plan -- that coverage consists of 1 year of manufacturer's warranty plus 3 years of ST coverage. This makes a SquareTrade warranty purchased from Costco vs. a SquareTrade warranty purchased directly from SquareTrade an even better deal from Costco ($53.33/year including the Costco membership vs. the now-revised figures for warranties purchased through SquareTrade.com, namely, $169.99 for the ST "2-year protection plan" and $116.66/year for the ST "4-year protection plan" ($349.99/3 years = $116.66/year for 3 years worth of extended ST coverage under the ST "4-year plan").

Sorry for revisiting this topic yet again, but this important point (the 2-year protection plan means 1 year of extended coverage, and the 4-year protection plan means 3 years of extended coverage) is worth mentioning for those considering buying a ST warranty directly from SquareTrade.com.
I think it's definitely pertinent info to the Q9FN - or any high end set.

I must've missed the fine print there, 5 total years of coverage was what I was wanting so I guess that's how I read it.

So can you cancel Costco $60/yr membership after the first year then and still keep your warranty valid? Otherwise wouldn't it be $60/yr x 3 years + $99 for their 3yr ST =$279 / 3 = $93/yr total cost?
post #9615 of 10086 Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Credelle View Post
Quote:

I exclusively use Cinema/Movie mode, I keep trying other settings but I always end up disliking it. I did the same on my previous TVs from Samsung and Vizio too, so it is just a personal preference.
Hmmm I see, and the settings are mostly at default or did you change a few things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasa123 View Post
Quote:
That's how i felt/feel. I found Movie Mode/Warm2 too yellowish/red and dull compared to Standard. Just could not adjust to to. I then started calibrating my set with meters and, now, Movie mode looks much better. Colours like snow, blue skies, grass looks natural now.

The key hers is WB/Grayscale - get that plugged in and it improves the picture massively. Problem is that this TV is a massive pain to calibrate and, out of the box, it's rubbish. God knows how AVForum gave it a reference star rating - it's nowhere near.

NB - For some TV shows I switch to Standard - certainly for Sports/News etc, Standard looks better. Movies always Movie/Warm2 - not that I have been through my full collection yet [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

PS - am still calibrating after some mare no-idea-whats-going-on with this TV stuff.

Honestly, if I could return the Q9FN, I would and switch to Panasonic/LG OLED. And then have sleepless nights about burn-in. Sigh.
WB/Grayscale? I'm not sure what you mean with that. In the future I might decide to hire a professional calibrator though. I'm just not sure where in my country they are and how much it will cost me. If possible I'd like it calibrated for movies/shows and for gaming. At the same time I have doubts because what looks good to someone might not look good to me at all.

Could you tell me what your movie/cinema settings are now?

As for OLED, yeah I'm with you on that. I miss the pros about OLED too, especially things like blooming. On OLED the screen won't light up each time bright white subtitles are being displayed and the blacks always stay black too. I can't deny that i see that C9 OLED and might want it, but at the same time I game a lot and many games still have static HUDs and some of them are very bright. I don't trust OLED then, I do trust this Q9FN with that.
post #9616 of 10086 Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM

SquareTrade extended warranty redux

Quote:
So can you cancel Costco $60/yr membership after the first year then and still keep your warranty valid?
Yes.

Quote:
Otherwise wouldn't it be $60/yr x 3 years + $99 for their 3yr ST =$279 / 3 = $93/yr total cost?
In my experience, ST is only concerned with where you purchased their warranty and that you have a receipt to back that up, they are not concerned with your ongoing membership status if the warranty was purchased from an entity that happens to charge a recurring membership fee -- that's why their pick list has so many options to choose from when you register your warranty at https://www.squaretrade.com/web-app/registration/launch (different ST warranty merchants have different pricing plans with ST). Registration is optional at time of warranty purchase, but being registered before filing a claim speeds things up if/when it comes time to file a claim. ST will request a copy of your TV receipt to confirm the date of purchase, the place of purchase, and the pre-tax price paid (the ST warranty ceiling reimbursement amount does not include tax, and if memory serves me correctly it also doesn't include any delivery charges). If you did not purchase the ST warranty directly from ST, then they will also request a copy of the ST purchase receipt to confirm the items already mentioned. In my case, I purchased my Samsung UN65JS8500 from Amazon the last week of May, 2015, the TV was delivered in or about the first week of June, and I then purchased the ST warranty from my nearest Costco warehouse the first week of July, which was well within the ST-Costco required "60 days from date of delivery" time frame. I then submitted digital photos of both receipts through ST's warranty registration website. The only hiccup was when I phoned ST a few days later to confirm receipt of both receipts, and the ST rep told me they didn't show the receipts in their system yet, so she asked if I could send them to her as email attachments while she held the line, which I did. There were no further registration issues thereafter -- my ST account indicated that my ST warranty purchased from Costco for the JS8500 purchased from Amazon was now registered and contained the correct serial number for my TV. Hope this helps.
post #9617 of 10086 Old 05-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So can you cancel Costco $60/yr membership after the first year then and still keep your warranty valid?
Yes.

Quote:
Otherwise wouldn't it be $60/yr x 3 years + $99 for their 3yr ST =$279 / 3 = $93/yr total cost?
In my experience, ST is only concerned with where you purchased their warranty and that you have a receipt to back that up, they are not concerned with your ongoing membership status if the warranty was purchased from an entity that happens to charge a recurring membership fee -- that's why their pick list has so many options to choose from when you register your warranty at https://www.squaretrade.com/web-app/registration/launch (different ST warranty merchants have different pricing plans with ST). Registration is optional at time of warranty purchase, but being registered before filing a claim speeds things up if/when it comes time to file a claim. ST will request a copy of your TV receipt to confirm the date of purchase, the place of purchase, and the pre-tax price paid (the ST warranty ceiling reimbursement amount does not include tax, and if memory serves me correctly it also doesn't include any delivery charges). If you did not purchase the ST warranty directly from ST, then they will also request a copy of the ST purchase receipt to confirm the items already mentioned. In my case, I purchased my Samsung UN65JS8500 from Amazon the last week of May, 2015, the TV was delivered in or about the first week of June, and I then purchased the ST warranty from my nearest Costco warehouse the first week of July, which was well within the ST-Costco required "60 days from date of delivery" time frame. I then submitted digital photos of both receipts through ST's warranty registration website. The only hiccup was when I phoned ST a few days later to confirm receipt of both receipts, and the ST rep told me they didn't show the receipts in their system yet, so she asked if I could send them to her as email attachments while she held the line, which I did. There were no further registration issues thereafter -- my ST account indicated that my ST warranty purchased from Costco for the JS8500 purchased from Amazon was now registered and contained the correct serial number for my TV. Hope this helps.
That definitely helps! Thank you, that is all great info. I like to try to keep very detailed records on stuff like that so when they ask for something they don't expect you to have, I am prepared.
post #9618 of 10086 Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6408 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Recently pulled the trigger on a 75" and I've spent the last few days reading through this very informative thread while I anticipate delivery.

I know as it is a 2018 model, none of you have had one of these for too long, so most are probably still under Samsung warranty, but what is the consensus on adding a Squaretrade (or similar) warranty? The "panel lottery" notwithstanding, it seems some of you have had some issues so I'm not sure if it's standard practice on these higher end units or not.

I've had Sony and Samsung sets and never had any issues, but the Q9FN will definitely be the nicest one I've owned and first 4k.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Can't wait to get this thing delivered!
Extended warranties are pretty cheep, it is a nice piece of mind, Mack warranty told me odds of your TV failing anytime in the first 5 years is 10%, so do you feel lucky?
post #9619 of 10086 Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm noticing an issue with my set, and I'm curious if others have seen this. When displaying HDR content, there is a line of light or a light shaft that runs from top to bottom, about 12 inches from the left side of the screen. Now that I've noticed it, I can't unsee it, and it's extremely annoying. Has anyone ever run into this before?
post #9620 of 10086 Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Extended warranties are pretty cheep, it is a nice piece of mind, Mack warranty told me odds of your TV failing anytime in the first 5 years is 10%, so do you feel lucky?
I guess I fall into the 10% column since my 2015 UN65JS8500 started going south approximately 30 months from date of delivery. The SquareTrade warranty I purchased for less than a C-note was one of my better decisions, I saved about 2,000 dead presidents (average price with tax for the 2018 QN65Q8FN SquareTrade obtained for me) with that small peace of mind investment.

Isn't a Mack warranty only available as an option directly from certain electronics merchants and not something the end-user can purchase directly from Mack? If so, that makes Mack availability extremely limited vs. SquareTrade.
post #9621 of 10086 Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Maybe you guys should open a Warranty thread ...

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #9622 of 10086 Old 05-25-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Maybe you guys should open a Warranty thread ...
Maybe you're right.
post #9623 of 10086 Old 05-26-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Q9FN Info display

Hey, my tv even with the latest firmware for a year now has not been able to display the tv info like resolution or hdr correctly. I was hoping this was software based but could it be the tv being a faulty unit?
post #9624 of 10086 Old 05-26-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 16
2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk''

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL2K3 View Post
Hey, my tv even with the latest firmware for a year now has not been able to display the tv info like resolution or hdr correctly. I was hoping this was software based but could it be the tv being a faulty unit?

Try rebooting the TV by press & hold power button on remote until QLED logo comes up on screen.
post #9625 of 10086 Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've found an issue recently with my TV.

Previously, I had different settings for SDR and HDR in each mode and they would change automatically.

I'm on 1251 and maybe something has changed. Now dynamic mode and natural mode stay with the same settings regardless of SDR or HDR content being displayed.

On standard and movie mode everything works like before, with separate settings for SDR and HDR.

Anyone else has noticed this? Any solution or is it something Samsung has changed in the recent firmware?

Enviado desde mi EML-L09 mediante Tapatalk
post #9626 of 10086 Old 05-26-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Hmmm I see, and the settings are mostly at default or did you change a few things?

WB/Grayscale? I'm not sure what you mean with that. In the future I might decide to hire a professional calibrator though. I'm just not sure where in my country they are and how much it will cost me. If possible I'd like it calibrated for movies/shows and for gaming. At the same time I have doubts because what looks good to someone might not look good to me at all.

Could you tell me what your movie/cinema settings are now?
My updated settings here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57624176

Some useful links for calibration:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-enhanced.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55538498

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post54846000

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post37866105

AVSHD Pattern Disk (your first step to any calibration) : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html
post #9627 of 10086 Old 05-27-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
I've found an issue recently with my TV.

Previously, I had different settings for SDR and HDR in each mode and they would change automatically.

I'm on 1251 and maybe something has changed. Now dynamic mode and natural mode stay with the same settings regardless of SDR or HDR content being displayed.

On standard and movie mode everything works like before, with separate settings for SDR and HDR.

Anyone else has noticed this? Any solution or is it something Samsung has changed in the recent firmware?

Is that why when I change modes the others don't look like HDR kicks in?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #9628 of 10086 Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Is that why when I change modes the others don't look like HDR kicks in?

Same thing happens to me.

I think Samsung doesn't want us to use dynamic and natural mode in HDR and they changed something in the last firmware maybe.

Maybe someone else can confirm this.

post #9629 of 10086 Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamix View Post
Same thing happens to me.

I think Samsung doesn't want us to use dynamic and natural mode in HDR and they changed something in the last firmware maybe.

Maybe someone else can confirm this.

I try the other modes and always go back to movie anyway

post #9630 of 10086 Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Dynamic and Natural modes don't give you the option to change Color Space to Auto, which means you are locking the color into SDR in those modes. It makes sense they would disable HDR in those settings, to let the average user know those modes aren't optimal.
FarleyUK likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page