2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11313Likes

post #9841 of 11208 Old 06-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Do you have a count or reference? Or do you mean here?
You mean other than all professional calibrators, all reviewers and most everyone who knows what they are talking about on these forums? A count like that?

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 384
There is no count. Got it.

My recommendation remains Natural Pic all else default.
post #9843 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdizzle77 View Post
So what is the definitive set of settings. Other than a professional calibration
Understood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9844 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Understood.
Wow

What I'd like to know is the mostly widely accepted settings for the best picture ASIDE from paying someone hundreds to professionally calibrate it.
post #9845 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

I honestly don't know why I engage him sometimes, I usually just ignore him.

@macdizzle77 as far as settings go, if you don't want to calibrate then you can follow the guides of others who have calibrated and get it "better." The problem is a lot of this goes down to individual panel variance and the conditions of your room, what looks calibrated on my TV and my room may not look as good on your TV in your room.

I'd start here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...-2018/settings

They are generally pretty good settings, buy my TV looked WORLDS better after paying for a professional calibrator.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #9846 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajresendez View Post
Okay so, I figure out that changing the color space to native fixes the weird glowing edges effect. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Anybody, experience the same thing?

post #9847 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Let's not forget personal preferences. Some people would rather have more pop and vividness regardless of what was intended.
Glenee and Damar1979 like this.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, Sony TA-N9000ES
i!Display Plus, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Enthusiast, Win 10 Pro x64 2004
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #9848 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Let's not forget personal preferences. Some people would rather have more pop and vividness regardless of what was intended.
Absolutely, its their tv bought with their money. They have every right to do what they want to with it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Damar1979 likes this.
post #9849 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajresendez View Post
Anybody, experience the same thing?

Apparently not ...

post #9850 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Apparently not ...
Guess so lol. Well **** I'll just contact Samsung and see if they think it's an issue I still have over two weeks to exchange it.

post #9851 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Do you have a count or reference? Or do you mean here?

Obtained with about 5 minutes of searching and randomly clicking on some the links from the first 2 pages of Google results. Granted, these are just small snippets from various reviews and thus significantly lacking in context, but this should be more than enough to get an idea of a general trend. Everyone is of course entitled to their own viewing preferences but Movie Mode is overwhelmingly the preferred and recommended mode by professional calibrators and reviewers simply due to measured accuracy.

Rtings:
"For movies and TV content, the 'Movie' 'Picture Mode' gave us the closest result to our calibration goal and it should bring the image quality closest to what the content creator intended it be."

CNET:
"Prior to calibration my Q9 review sample's most accurate picture mode, as usual for Samsung, was Movie. It measured quite well, with gamma that came very close to my target and stayed flat. Color temperature was a bit blue at at about 6900K overall, compared to a target of 6500, but that's not bad -- better than my Sony Z9F sample but worse than the Vizio PQ before calibration."

FlatpanelsHD:
"We quickly disregarded the ‘Standard’ and ‘Natural’ picture modes since they produce close to HDR brightness and a far too wide color space when watching regular SDR content (SD, HD and 4K video). We therefore switched to ‘Movie’ mode, which served as the basis for our calibration."

HDGuru:
"Despite the absence of a working AutoCal system, the 65Q9FN was a breeze to calibrate with the voice control remote calling up and adjusting the settings on our spoken commands. We found that the default “Standard” picture mode was too bright and needed to be knocked down a bit in Movie mode for our viewing room conditions."

Reviewed:
"So I switched to Movie mode, turned all the Auto Motion Plus settings off, switched Audio to "Optimized" (during the "Immigrant Song" bit, which is also delightful), set the backlight to the room lighting, and turned the color space to "Auto" to take advantage of those sweet, colorful quantum dots.
And then I totally forgot I was supposed to be reviewing a TV and got sucked right in by Chris Hemsworth's chiseled... performance."

HomeTheaterReview:
"You're going to want to skip Standard and switch the picture profile to Movie, which out of the box is better than Standard, but not great. First, let's discuss the Q9FN's brightness. It's bright. Really bright, hovering around 800 Nits out of the box. However, the picture, despite having semi-accurate colors, has a grey scale that is all over the place and heavily biased towards green, which I had never encountered before. Thankfully, with a little TLC (and the workaround I spoke of earlier), I was able to dial in the Q9FN's performance using CalMan to a noticeable degree."

DigitalTrends:
"Right out of the box, color in Movie mode was excellent with our review sample. Samsung rigorously vets and approves TVs before they go out for review, though, so out-of-box color on the model you get in a store may vary. That said, we know a professional calibrator can get this TV to an excellent standard of performance for both SDR and HDR content, and the color production is, again, dazzling."

TrustedReviews:
"The only niggle is that, on occasion, I found the dimming a little too effective, leaving slightly intense black areas where there might be some detail. This is easily remedied by bumping up brightness to 1 or 2, while keeping Local Dimming on High (for HDR) and Standard (for SDR). Oh and Movie mode is best. And turn off the Eco mode power-saving stuff, as that only serves to dampen the fun."

Forbes:
"Note that the QN65Q9FN’s HDR Movie mode suffers less with slight black crushing than the other presets in its out of the box state, as well as offering a much better compromise between processing enhancements and ‘native’ source accuracy than previous Samsung Movie modes.
While on the subject of picture presets, though, I’d recommend avoiding the Natural and Dynamic HDR modes. The former looks anything but natural with its overblown blacks and colors, while the Dynamic mode looks too stark."

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless) / QNAP TVS-873 / Harmony Elite

Last edited by Nillaz; 06-16-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #9852 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow flattered I can engender such effort. May even scan it when I gt a chance.
post #9853 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You’re the one who asked for a count.
post #9854 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm happy to provide info at the request of forum members, assuming that I have access to it and it won't take more than a reasonable amount of time and effort. Hell, occasionally I'll happily donate an unreasonable amount of time/effort if I feel the request has merit.

Read it or not, as you please. But if I can make a suggestion....perhaps you can try giving a "thank you" instead of a flippant response. You know....considering that I literally gave you exactly what you asked for.
FarleyUK and mombasa123 like this.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless) / QNAP TVS-873 / Harmony Elite
post #9855 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
I'm happy to provide info at the request of forum members, assuming that I have access to it and it won't take more than a reasonable amount of time and effort. Hell, occasionally I'll happily donate an unreasonable amount of time/effort if I feel the request has merit.

Read it or not, as you please. But if I can make a suggestion....perhaps you can try giving a "thank you" instead of a flippant response. You know....considering that I literally gave you exactly what you asked for.
From his usual responses, I don't think he really cared about proof and was just being him. He seems very convinced about his preferences, nothing wrong with that
wmoss35 likes this.

post #9856 of 11208 Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From his usual responses, I don't think he really cared about proof and was just being him. He seems very convinced about his preferences, nothing wrong with that

I'm aware he's convinced of his preferences and given what I know of his setup I don't disagree with his choices. And it wouldn't matter a bit even if I did disagree...it's his television and he can do what he likes. I'm not trying to change his mind, he asked for something that was easily within my power to provide.

I don't especially care for being slapped in the face though. Call me old fashioned, but where I come from when you ask for something and it's given to you the common reply is a simple thank you rather than a smart ass response. I'm not asking for the world, just some basic human decency.

post #9857 of 11208 Old 06-17-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some people are just tired hearing the same 100 nits + movie mode + calibration over and over.
It looks like calibrator fundamentalists want every TV look the same, like their old CRT.

It so ridiculous that when this TV came out, calibrators had to lower backlight under 10 to stay at 100 nits and then they complained about black crush
And the famous "with these settings it's not what the movie director wanted to show".. sure bro, look at 4K HDR remastered like 2001 a space odyssey, they removed the green colors from picture and no one is complaining about the dead director will.
post #9858 of 11208 Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

If you don't care about director's intent, calibration settings and accuracy then why are you on these forums? For every smart comment that talks about empirical data, there's 10 opinion based responses with basically the equivalent of closing your eyes and screaming "blah blah blah, I'm not listening!"

Yes as others have said, it's your TV and do what you want. But when people are asking for help to get the best picture they can, why do these people feel the need to chime in "default is fine!" or "I don't care about director's intent!"? It's not helpful to the people who actually *do* care about accuracy.
Mikejl, AnotherDude and n2speed125 like this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #9859 of 11208 Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwizatZ View Post
Some people are just tired hearing the same 100 nits + movie mode + calibration over and over.
It looks like calibrator fundamentalists want every TV look the same, like their old CRT.

It so ridiculous that when this TV came out, calibrators had to lower backlight under 10 to stay at 100 nits and then they complained about black crush
And the famous "with these settings it's not what the movie director wanted to show".. sure bro, look at 4K HDR remastered like 2001 a space odyssey, they removed the green colors from picture and no one is complaining about the dead director will.
You can get black crush with Backlight at 34. As far as the new 2001 goes:

-----
"audiences may be most familiar with previous home video releases. . .and may be struck by some of the differences. However, the newly remastered version has been scanned and timed to directly match the original film release, rather than the previous home video master." Some of the most noticeable differences happen right off the bat in The Dawn of Man sequence, where there's a slightly more desaturated look, with a brighter overall ambience that tends to make skies paler. But there are some interesting new changes here, albeit often on minor things like the weirdly mid(21st?)century modern chairs on the space station, which have a kind of crimson tone to them now. Restoration efforts have also eliminated some of the projection effect anomalies that were prevalent in previous versions, and I frankly noticed none of the admittedly minor speckling and dirt that were in evidence on the previous Blu-ray release. Detail levels are superb throughout the presentation, and there's a nicely organic looking grain field, one that spikes expectedly in many of the optical effects, but which resolves without any issues whatsoever. Blacks looked solid and (for those who may have feared) unboosted, and the entire palette looks appealingly saturated, and what Mr. Herriott terms as "luminance and color" dropping at the sides of the image on the older version has been eliminated. The psychedelic climax is bold and vivid and certainly better detailed than I remember seeing in 35mm reduction prints.
-------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
If you don't care about director's intent, calibration settings and accuracy then why are you on these forums? For every smart comment that talks about empirical data, there's 10 opinion based responses with basically the equivalent of closing your eyes and screaming "blah blah blah, I'm not listening!"

Yes as others have said, it's your TV and do what you want. But when people are asking for help to get the best picture they can, why do these people feel the need to chime in "default is fine!" or "I don't care about director's intent!"? It's not helpful to the people who actually *do* care about accuracy.
I'm kind of in between, as I go for calibrated accuracy, but love my 400 nit calibration. Although White is up, the rest is in proper relation. I believe if displays were back then like they are today, SDR White might be somewhat higher .
Nillaz and UnfoldingSquid like this.

post #9860 of 11208 Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
You can get black crush with Backlight at 34. As far as the new 2001 goes:

-----

"audiences may be most familiar with previous home video releases. . .and may be struck by some of the differences. However, the newly remastered version has been scanned and timed to directly match the original film release, rather than the previous home video master." Some of the most noticeable differences happen right off the bat in The Dawn of Man sequence, where there's a slightly more desaturated look, with a brighter overall ambience that tends to make skies paler. But there are some interesting new changes here, albeit often on minor things like the weirdly mid(21st?)century modern chairs on the space station, which have a kind of crimson tone to them now. Restoration efforts have also eliminated some of the projection effect anomalies that were prevalent in previous versions, and I frankly noticed none of the admittedly minor speckling and dirt that were in evidence on the previous Blu-ray release. Detail levels are superb throughout the presentation, and there's a nicely organic looking grain field, one that spikes expectedly in many of the optical effects, but which resolves without any issues whatsoever. Blacks looked solid and (for those who may have feared) unboosted, and the entire palette looks appealingly saturated, and what Mr. Herriott terms as "luminance and color" dropping at the sides of the image on the older version has been eliminated. The psychedelic climax is bold and vivid and certainly better detailed than I remember seeing in 35mm reduction prints.

-------------

I'm kind of in between, as I go for calibrated accuracy, but love my 400 nit calibration. Although White is up, the rest is in proper relation. I believe if displays were back then like they are today, SDR White might be somewhat higher .
Still rocking AMP on Auto?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #9861 of 11208 Old 06-17-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Still rocking AMP on Auto?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yes, believe it or not, and I keep checking with and without, and I can't see the SOE with it on Auto but see some judder with it on manual or off. I'm scratching my head, or maybe I should be scratching my eyes!

post #9862 of 11208 Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does a Q9FN TV decode Amazon HDR10+ or not?

Hi, all.

Can anyone please tell me if the Amazon app on the Q9FN TV actually decodes HDR10+? According to the Amazon website (I am unable to post the link), I will see "HDR10+" in place of "HDR" on HDR10+ supported programming (like the Jack Ryan series) if I have an HDR10+ capable TV. I have never seen "HDR10+" on any Amazon HDR program listing. All I ever get is "HDR". This is also true when I us the Amazon app on my M9500 Samsung Bluray player. Both TV and Bluray player have the latest firmware.

As far as I know, there is no way to confirm on the TV or Bluray player whether I am actually seeing HDR10+ or plain old HDR10. I know the Amazon Fire Stick 4K supports HDR10+, but I've always assumed the Amazon app on the TV would also support it. I'm really beginning to lose faith that the TV actually decodes HDR10+ or that Amazon is actually delivering HDR10+ content. If I buy an Amazon Fire Stick 4K, will I see "HDR10+" displayed on Amazon HDR program listings? If so, I'll spend the 50 bucks.

I know the answer to this is somewhere on avsforum, but I am having a hell of a time finding it. I'd really appreciate it if someone can answer resolve this dilemma for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2581368  
post #9863 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Firmware 1260.8 is out on the US support site for those who were afraid to update from the Korean site that had it up a few weeks ago..
Ajresendez and Damar1979 like this.
post #9864 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM

Okay, with regard to my post above about HDR10+ on the 9QFN, Samsung is telling me on Twitter that my TV (Model QN75Q9FN) does not have HDR10+. I have attached my original tweet as well as the private messages to this effect. This is an answer I was totally unprepared for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2581570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2581572  
post #9865 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensualphotoguy View Post
Okay, with regard to my post above about HDR10+ on the 9QFN, Samsung is telling me on Twitter that my TV (Model QN75Q9FN) does not have HDR10+. I have attached my original tweet as well as the private messages to this effect. This is an answer I was totally unprepared for.
You can relax. The QNXXQ9FN does indeed support HDR10+

Here is a copy of the first 2 pages of the spec sheet from Samsung's website. You'll find supported HDR formats listed at the bottom of page 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Q9FN HDR Formats.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	2581602  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Q9FN-TV-Spec-Sheet.pdf (126.7 KB, 17 views)
Sensualphotoguy likes this.

Samsung: QN65Q90RAFXZA 4K HDR TV * Panasonic: DP-UB820 4K HDR Blu Ray * Onkyo: TX-RZ920 A/V Receiver * M&K: S-150 THX Speakers & DIY: 15" Subwoofer w/ E.D. E15a.22 Driver & Rythmik Audio 380w AMP * URC: MX-990 Universal Remote & MRF 260 Base Station * Samsung: Galaxy S10 Plus
post #9866 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensualphotoguy View Post
Those people are totally clueless. This set does get hdr10+, I have a samsung m9500 blu ray player and it shows hdr10+ logo during playback of hdr10+ associated discs. Regarding amazon from day one noone has seen an hdr10+ label on amazon, but it's still receiving hdr10+. I dont even thing the 2019 q90r has a hdr10+ label on amazon of im not mistaken. Samsung reps are oblivious to any knowledge on their products. Just stick to avs forums!

post #9867 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Those people are totally clueless. This set does get hdr10+, I have a samsung m9500 blu ray player and it shows hdr10+ logo during playback of hdr10+ associated discs. Regarding amazon from day one noone has seen an hdr10+ label on amazon, but it's still receiving hdr10+. I dont even thing the 2019 q90r has a hdr10+ label on amazon of im not mistaken. Samsung reps are oblivious to any knowledge on their products. Just stick to avs forums!

Truth, they are generic reps that just pull up internal documents they really don't know anything until you get bumped up to higher tier reps.

post #9868 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post

The Q90R tells you explicitly in it's picture mode when you are watching HDR10+. The Q9FN displays HDR10+ but is lacking the label telling you so.

post #9869 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I agree that the Samsung rep is completely useless.

So, the bottom line is apparently this: We should trust that Amazon is correctly detecting that the Q9FN is HDR10+ capable and sending HDR10+ stream even though it doesn't replace the "HDR" symbol on its program listing with "HDR10+" as it says will happen when it streams HDR10+. Furthermore, the TV itself offers no means to confirm it is receiving an HDR10+ stream.

I'm not a very trusting person when it comes to unverifiable commercial promises.
post #9870 of 11208 Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
The Q90R tells you explicitly in it's picture mode when you are watching HDR10+. The Q9FN displays HDR10+ but is lacking the label telling you so.
Nillaz,

Are you saying that, when you watch HDR content on Amazon that the HDR symbol on the program listing stays at "HDR" rather than changing to "HDR10+" and that your TV confirms that you are, in fact, getting an HDR10+ stream? If so, that would be the best evidence so far that Amazon just hasn't implemented the symbol update for the type of HDR stream it is sending. Maybe that requires an update to the actual app on the TV which may be easier said than done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page