2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11112Likes

post #2131 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have a 9500 but was wondering if HDR is automatically implemented on all HDMI inputs instead of just the 1 for the 9500. Currently running everything through AVR but a Chromecast dongle needs to be connected directly to the television so…. That and I would prefer the longer one connect box cable.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Yes, but with the color setting dropped to 20.

Hdr+ enables dynamic tone mapping.
Spent the last few hours reading through here but your posts sold me after hearing your gaming experience, I bought the q7f last year and spent a few days calibrating it to gorgeousness for gaming but I'm totally ready to make it a side monitor if this lives up to expectation lol, I only use mine for PC games ( MMO's and drawing / anime )
Really wish they had made a 55" though since thats perfect for my desk but I'll figure something out.

Gonna hit up Fry's after work and bring my laptop to hook it up to.
post #2133 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Yes to both, pitch black room and contrast enhancer off. The eye searing brightness might make raised black a little harder to see, but coming from an oled im super sensitive to it and I'm just not seeing it really.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I never owned an oled so I really don’t know. I noticed some slight clouding when I played the red fish demo from oled on youtube and the local dimming test video. Not sure if you are getting zero bloom and clouding too. Or it’s my set that has a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 04:05 PM

Oh right, I didn't see it anywhere but does the q9 support 10bit 4:4:4 or is it still 8-bit 4:4:4 like last years ?
post #2135 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post
Oh right, I didn't see it anywhere but does the q9 support 10bit 4:4:4 or is it still 8-bit 4:4:4 like last years ?
I believe the panel is 10 bit. So it can't go backwards

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #2136 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Garcia View Post
Thanks! I never owned an oled so I really don’t know. I noticed some slight clouding when I played the red fish demo from oled on youtube and the local dimming test video. Not sure if you are getting zero bloom and clouding too. Or it’s my set that has a problem.

I haven't seen much clouding or blooming stand out, but I just may not be noticing. I have seen it on a couple of tough sdr Blu rays, but very negligible on hdr content. Altered carbon has a good amount of high contrast scenes and that looked incredible on my set. The small amount of blooming I saw was very well controlled and barely noticeable unless I got really close. It does go downhill off angle though, I definitely wouldn't say this set has incredible or even really good viewing angles, but dead on its the real deal.

post #2137 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen much clouding or blooming stand out, but I just may not be noticing. I have seen it on a couple of tough sdr Blu rays, but very negligible on hdr content. Altered carbon has a good amount of high contrast scenes and that looked incredible on my set. The small amount of blooming I saw was very well controlled and barely noticeable unless I got really close. It does go downhill off angle though, I definitely wouldn't say this set has incredible or even really good viewing angles, but dead on its the real deal.

I agree. Maybe I am just being ocd when it comes yo it. I watched a lot of movies on my set. The black bars are inky black. You are right about getting close. You will see light blooming if you start pixel peeping. How far do you sit? I am 7 ft away from my 65 inch q9fn.

post #2138 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Design score doesn't factor in the overall rating at all. The remote counts for 16% of the Smart Feature score, which counts for 5% in the TV Shows rating which counts for 22% of the Mixed Usage/Overall rating. The score is also based on 'usabillity and features', not the looks . I you want to be critical at least make sure you know what you are talking about in the first place .
There are plenty of scores you can put question makes next to (sound quality for example with the highest weight given to max volume results where 70dB is already classified as 'loud volume' for a tv) but you just have to take what is relevant (measurements) and ignore the scores. Iirc if you register you can customize the score weights/ components ...

The 900F also doesn't have 'around 32 zones' (well maybe the 49" model)

It's hardly going to look better with real content is it? This is a much more realistic test photo than the psychedelic demo videos with highly saturated colors (for SDR anyway). Reminds of last year's QLED where you could easily see the skin tones wash out, even at the convention in Barcelona but there were still people raving about the viewing angles .
Could also be the Q9 has a different panel, the pixel structure on the Q8 panel here looks very conventional and as pointed out in the early 2018 QLED topic only the Q9 seemed to have a better viewing angle amongst the euro models.
But seeing as the UN Q8N has the same filter, etc. as the UN Q9N it might be down to panel difference rather than tech difference ...
I hope a 55" Q9N makes it way to one of the proper review sites. I'll be damned if it turns out the be a watered down version as well ...

Well pardon me sir, I will most definitely get a permission from expert like you before I exercise my first amendment right and be critical about a product or make a simple comment here on this free forum and just a side note I do own a 2017 Sony TV.. so I kinda do have end user experience with Sony TVs.. calculating percentages for final score like you mentioned above simply meaningless if consumer is not happy with the product.
post #2139 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree. Maybe I am just being ocd when it comes yo it. I watched a lot of movies on my set. The black bars are inky black. You are right about getting close. You will see light blooming if you start pixel peeping. How far do you sit? I am 7 ft away from my 65 inch q9fn.

About the same, 7 or 8 feet. I'm testing it in my living room since it's not mine yet but my brother did agree to swap so it'll be going in my movie room and I'll be about 5 feet away!

ray0414 and Charles Garcia like this.
post #2140 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
About the same, 7 or 8 feet. I'm testing it in my living room since it's not mine yet but my brother did agree to swap so it'll be going in my movie room and I'll be about 5 feet away!

That’s good man. The fact that you chose this set over an oled makes me feel a lot better buying this set.

post #2141 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 776
For gamers

HDR on Q9FN.

post #2142 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
I believe the panel is 10 bit. So it can't go backwards

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry for PC mode I mean, since the q7f did 10bit but only at 4:2:2 but swapped to 8bit at 4:4:4

Just wanted to confirm.
post #2143 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That’s good man. The fact that you chose this set over an oled makes me feel a lot better buying this set.

It's definitely not an easy choice, both have their strengths. I'm not a brand loyal or tech loyal guy, I just want the best picture I can afford. All things considered, with hdr being a huge factor, this TV is the winner for me this year. If you're not happy with your set or blooming maybe try an exchange? I'm sure there is a panel lottery or variance like with any other set.. Of course you run the risk of getting a worse set with new issues like stuck pixels etc. But for the money we pay for these sets, you gotta be as close to 100% thrilled as you can get man.

ray0414 and Damar1979 like this.
post #2144 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
for the money we pay for these sets, you gotta be as close to 100% thrilled as you can get man.

truth!!!

ma1746 and shark91962 like this.
post #2145 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It's definitely not an easy choice, both have their strengths. I'm not a brand loyal or tech loyal guy, I just want the best picture I can afford. All things considered, with hdr being a huge factor, this TV is the winner for me this year. If you're not happy with your set or blooming maybe try an exchange? I'm sure there is a panel lottery or variance like with any other set.. Of course you run the risk of getting a worse set with new issues like stuck pixels etc. But for the money we pay for these sets, you gotta be as close to 100% thrilled as you can get man.

I actually sent some videos to friends and modernwize and they told me that’s normal for a fald tv. I only see them when I try to pause the TV and try to look for it. And even if I see some, it’s negligible. I do have one stuck pixel. But as long as it doesn’t spread or anything I’m good. Thanks for all of your inputs man.
post #2146 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I actually sent some videos to friends and modernwize and they told me that’s normal for a fald tv. I only see them when I try to pause the TV and try to look for it. And even if I see some, it’s negligible. I do have one stuck pixel. But as long as it doesn’t spread or anything I’m good. Thanks for all of your inputs man.
No problem man, stop looking for imperfections! I used to scrutinize every new TV for hours and hours, now I just watch stuff I like. If something stands out to me while watching content then I'll investigate to see if it was the content or a flaw with the TV. If I scrutinized my C8 I could certainly find issues with it just as easy as the Q9, just relax and enjoy!

post #2147 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 07:16 PM

Liked: 27
It's time to replace our old Sony XBR6, and the Q9FN (65 inch) looks tempting. There is one concern that I have not been able to find any information on. We have a large number of DVD's that are not available, and most likely will never be available, in a higher resolution. So how does the Q9FN perform with this type of material? Either your experience, or a link to a review that addresses this would be appreciated.
mattg3 likes this.
post #2148 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
No problem man, stop looking for imperfections! I used to scrutinize every new TV for hours and hours, now I just watch stuff I like. If something stands out to me while watching content then I'll investigate to see if it was the content or a flaw with the TV. If I scrutinized my C8 I could certainly find issues with it just as easy as the Q9, just relax and enjoy!

You are right man. This actually made me feel better lol. This set is the best that I had ever. Do you have any advice when it comes to settings for SDR and HDR?

ma1746 likes this.
post #2149 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschroeder View Post
It's time to replace our old Sony XBR6, and the Q9FN (65 inch) looks tempting. There is one concern that I have not been able to find any information on. We have a large number of DVD's that are not available, and most likely will never be available, in a higher resolution. So how does the Q9FN perform with this type of material? Either your experience, or a link to a review that addresses this would be appreciated.
I watch a lot of UK, Aussie and Kiwi series only available on DVD. When the transfer is good, they look great on my 75Q9FN. I just finished three seasons of Shetland and it really looked good. It does a really good job of upscaling.
mattg3 likes this.
post #2150 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are right man. This actually made me feel better lol. This set is the best that I had ever. Do you have any advice when it comes to settings for SDR and HDR?

I like a lot of pop, so I'm using hdr standard with standard color temp and digital clean view, contrast enhancer etc turned off. For sdr I'm using hdr+ mode with standard color temp, native color gamut, all extras turned off. I use standard color temp because I think warm 2 looks too warm (even if it is "correct") For motion I'm using dejudder 5 and deblur 10. I'm not home at the moment but those are the settings I've come up with so far. I'm still going back and forth on what exactly hdr+ mode does when activated on hdr, and whether I like it or not.

Damar1979 likes this.
post #2151 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
I watch a lot of UK, Aussie and Kiwi series only available on DVD. When the transfer is good, they look great on my 75Q9FN. I just finished three seasons of Shetland and it really looked good. It does a really good job of upscaling.
Thanks! That was the only concern that I had. Now to get the funds together.
Charles Garcia likes this.
post #2152 of 10494 Old 04-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I like a lot of pop, so I'm using hdr standard with standard color temp and digital clean view, contrast enhancer etc turned off. For sdr I'm using hdr+ mode with standard color temp, native color gamut, all extras turned off. I use standard color temp because I think warm 2 looks too warm (even if it is "correct") For motion I'm using dejudder 5 and deblur 10. I'm not home at the moment but those are the settings I've come up with so far. I'm still going back and forth on what exactly hdr+ mode does when activated on hdr, and whether I like it or not.

I see. I also use standard for color temp lol. Not a fan of warm picture... how about your local dimming? I usually set in on stamdard on sdr and high on hdr...

post #2153 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I’m ready to buy and it’s between the 75q9fn and the 75z9d. I’ve been following this thread and I’m leaning towards the Q9. Just curious what others would do.
post #2154 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
I’m ready to buy and it’s between the 75q9fn and the 75z9d. I’ve been following this thread and I’m leaning towards the Q9. Just curious what others would do.
I had the z9d, the blooming was extremely noticeable and so wasn't the bleed into the black bars. The Q9 has better color and input lag also, go with the Q9.

post #2155 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I see. I also use standard for color temp lol. Not a fan of warm picture... how about your local dimming? I usually set in on stamdard on sdr and high on hdr...

I keep it on high for sdr and hdr, haven't noticed a different either way honestly.

post #2156 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I keep it on high for sdr and hdr, haven't noticed a different either way honestly.

You don't notice a difference between local dimming standard and high? There's something wrong there ... I notice a big difference, high gets very noticeably brighter for me. I don't notice a real difference initially between low and standard though. I'm on FW 1056.0.

I should add that's in SDR.
post #2157 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
I currently own a 65" ZD9 and a LG E7 65" and I am looking at seriously getting the Q9. I have been flipping/flopping between which (ZD9/E7) I will have in my gaming room. Both have great things about them. 90% of my use is gaming, with 10% watchin UHD Disk movies. The LG imho excels with Movies and in gaming due to the pure black color seems to pop more. However, brightness and motion I find better on the ZD9 and especially HDR brightness while gaming is so superior on the ZD9. It's like almost every other month I am swapping sets to see what I like more in my gaming room, which is leading me to the Q9.

From the current reviews and user feedback so far, it seems like the Q9 mixes the best, not always hitting the highs (pure black of OLED) of both the ZD9 and the E7 OLED with even better input lag. I am no a competitive gamer, but still like a low input lag. Both the ZD9 and E7 have good/great input lag, but the Q9 is even better. The fact that it can get as bright as the ZD9 but also give near OLED black levels seems to be the set to go with that gives a little bit of the best LCD and OLED.

For me, I am going to wait a little longer. Want to see more reviews, more user impressions and since I have a Denon 6400h receiver I want to wait until the fix is implemented so I can go through my receiver and still get HDR. But i am definitely leaning to the Q9 myself.

-Hawkmoon
post #2158 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
The closer you are the more flaws you could see. Sounds like a winner.
post #2159 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anybody know how to engage the Q9FN service menu?

TIA!

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, OPPO UDP-205, Radiance 2143
Win 10 Pro x64 1903
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v19.3.0 - 7/5/2019
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #2160 of 10494 Old 04-28-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 349
https://hdtvpolska.com has very extensive tests for both the Sony Z9D and the brand new Samsung Q9FN.
Beware that it appears there is a misprint concerning the native contrast number for the Z9D without using its FALD, which is given at 300:1 but the correct figure should be 3.000:1.

Very,very impressive numbers for contrast measurements of the Samsung Q9FN in difficult dark scene tests however the reviewer pointed out that even with 480 dimming zones he could sometimes see them in action, specifically when the image is scrolling titles at the end of movies where he noticed the dimming zones trying to keep up with the continuous scrolling.

I don't know if there are already owners of the Q9FN posting here, but i think that would be an easy and interesting test to perform.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page