2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11273Likes

post #2431 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Oh. My. God.

I've had this TV for 3 weeks and just noticed that sheet. Peeled it off just now lololol.
Seriously, I thought there was no sheet even though I was actively looking for one. I don't think the "quick start" instructions even mention it.
thisbryanguy001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Happ View Post
Is distortion using PS4 pro 2160p - RGB expected? See the attached image...screen goes crazy flickering on and off. I can only make it stop using 2160p - YUV420. I'm using version 1056 of the firmware and the PS4 is plugged directly into the oneconnect with the cable Sony included.
Connect HDMI directly to One Connect Box.
post #2433 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Seriously, I thought there was no sheet even though I was actively looking for one. I don't think the "quick start" instructions even mention it.
This is my concern with my new mu8000 65 inch.It looks like there is a peelable film...could this be true too peel off?...does Samsung do this for other TV's?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
I have the q9fa 2017 and used the 2018 q9fn. I would not recommend upgrading your q9 for the 2018 model imho unless you do mostly viewing in a very dark room where the local dimming that significantly increase the contrast ratio would be of huge inpact.The 2018 q9 has dse and fald grid that is visible to those sensitive to that whereas the 2017 does not have that issue.

Overall make no mistake, the 2018 q9 is vastly superior with contrast ratio, local dimming and lower input lag in pc mode (16ms) and will have vrr ar some point and bfi on game mode.
Where did you get the visible FALD grid complain from? I have not seen any yet. I've had my 75Q9FN for over 2 weeks and not a hint of such, and no discernible DSE. Uniformity is not perfect but very good for LCD. If it was in the unit you used (?) you had a bad panel.
The 2018 q9fn I used was not a bad panel. All fald have some type of uniformity issues due to the grid being right behind the screen. I have owned and seen many fald and the q9fn is no different, in bright scenes panning left to right etc you will see uneveness from the fald grid which can also be called dse.

The C8 I have has no dse and nonexistant vertical banding, it currently destroys the q9 in the uniformity area and even rtings scores back that up too.
post #2435 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
The 2018 q9fn I used was not a bad panel. All fald have some type of uniformity issues due to the grid being right behind the screen. I have owned and seen many fald and the q9fn is no different, in bright scenes panning left to right etc you will see uneveness from the fald grid which can also be called dse.

The C8 I have has no dse and nonexistant vertical banding, it currently destroys the q9 in the uniformity area and even rtings scores back that up too.
Nobody denies OLED has better uniformity. Where we differ is in the claim one can see the zone grid pattern. Is the lesser uniformity caused by the FALD? Sure. Can you actually see the zone grid pattern? Well, if you could we wouldn't need some zone counting tool to check the number of zones now, would we?
Synikal likes this.
post #2436 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Yep there's a plastic sheet underneath the left and right sticker boards that covers the whole screen. Pull that off
Maybe this is why Dnice is the only person to not like the screen coating? Maybe he didn't peel it off either? :-)
post #2437 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 3951
Quote:
Nobody denies OLED has better uniformity. Where we differ is in the claim one can see the zone grid pattern. Is the lesser uniformity caused by the FALD? Sure. Can you actually see the zone grid pattern? Well, if you could we wouldn't need some zone counting tool to check the number of zones now, would we?

It actually shows up in vertical panning shots , I personally I have never seen it on
A Fald but there are a lot of folks that have . I think some people are more sensitive to it . It’s definitely not obvious enough to count zones tho

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #2438 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
It actually shows up in vertical panning shots , I personally I have never seen it on
A Fald but there are a lot of folks that have . I think some people are more sensitive to it . It’s definitely not obvious enough to count zones tho
Again, there's a big difference between seeing the zone grid and seeing lack of uniformity influenced by the FALD zones. In my screen there's a slightly brighter vertical area about 25% of the screen width in the middle, but no indication of where the zones might be. So please don't say this display shows the zone grid, even if you love OLEDs
post #2439 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'll be buying a Q9 soon from Best Buy. My question is has anyone purchased and used their extended warranty from BBuy? I just want to know if it's worth it or BS...
post #2440 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 3951
Quote:
Again, there's a big difference between seeing the zone grid and seeing lack of uniformity influenced by the FALD zones. In my screen there's a slightly brighter vertical area about 25% of the screen width in the middle, but no indication of where the zones might be. So please don't say this display shows the zone grid, even if you love OLEDs

I am not saying that , I am saying it’s a pretty common observation for fald owners that are sensitive to it. I have seen this complaint with all fald sets not common but it exists . enjoy your set it’s a nice one .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #2441 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I am not saying that , I am saying it’s a pretty common observation for fald owners that are sensitive to it. I have seen this complaint with all fald sets not common but it exists . enjoy your set it’s a nice one .
Same! I'd just never actually heard about people seeing the actual zone grid. Must be some awesome visual acuity, which I'm happy I don't have

Cheers!
chunon likes this.
post #2442 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbill07 View Post
I'll be buying a Q9 soon from Best Buy. My question is has anyone purchased and used their extended warranty from BBuy? I just want to know if it's worth it or BS...
Consumer Reports generally is against these types of extended warranties because for most they never pay off. In addition, if you buy with a credit card, there is a good chance one of their benefits is extending the warranty. However, if you just want peace of mind than go for it.
killbill07 likes this.
post #2443 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'll leave you with my experience:

I purchased a LG C7 in May 2017 along with the Geek Squad protection. A few months in I started to develop a problem with the HDMI inputs where the TV would randomly lose signal with my PS4 and my UHD player. Best Buy came out multiple times, twice to replace the main board in the TV.

In April of this year, LG refused to acknowledge that my TV had an issue. LG blamed all of my peripherals instead. So Best Buy loaned my a LG UHD player to further prove to LG that my TV was actually a lemon. The TV acted up again. Now, I'm 11 months into my purchase at this point. WAY after my return policy.

LG continued to refuse acceptance of a problem.

Best Buy gave me a full refund last month. For a TV that I bought 11 months prior, because I had the protection plan. It was a "customer satisfaction swap out". That's how I ended up with my Q8FN that I currently have.
LunaP and N3O like this.
post #2444 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKhurg View Post

I purchased a LG C7 in May 2017 along with the Geek Squad protection. A few months in I started to develop a problem with the HDMI inputs where the TV would randomly lose signal with my PS4 and my UHD player. Best Buy came out multiple times, twice to replace the main board in the TV.

In April of this year, LG refused to acknowledge that my TV had an issue. LG blamed all of my peripherals instead. So Best Buy loaned my a LG UHD player to further prove to LG that my TV was actually a lemon. The TV acted up again. Now, I'm 11 months into my purchase at this point. WAY after my return policy.

Best Buy gave me a full refund last month. For a TV that I bought 11 months prior, because I had the protection plan. It was a "customer satisfaction swap out". That's how I ended up with my Q8FN that I currently have.
And how are you liking the qf8 over the c7

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #2445 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Hopefully you are happier with the Q8FN. Briefly had the C8 for a bit and the same PS4 pro issue happened a couple of times. That and I don't think it played nice with my receiver because the sound was always slightly beyond a second behind. Happy to have the Q8FN back

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #2446 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Update on me peeling the plastic off, I think this was preventing the blacks on my TV from getting really black because now I def do see a difference in picture quality.

Compared to my previous Sony Z9D, the Q9FN is Game Mode is probably 3X more superior EASILY when it comes to picture quality. It's not even close. What the Vivid Picture Mode looked like on my LG C7, the Game Mode of the Q9FN looks like that, only much much brighter.

The Game Motion Plus is a neat feature, but I leave it off. It looks better without it in my opinion.
Thrust-Bot and Glammer19 like this.

Last edited by thisbryanguy001; 05-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.
post #2447 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
nope still will have much more blooming.
Hardly notice it, even when switching rooms from my E7. Seriously, my x930E had blooming, Z9D has none that's noticeable. Even in starry fields--though the contrast isn't as crisp an OLED for these kinda scenes.
post #2448 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post

Quote:
Is distortion using PS4 pro 2160p - RGB expected? See the attached image...screen goes crazy flickering on and off. I can only make it stop using 2160p - YUV420. I'm using version 1056 of the firmware and the PS4 is plugged directly into the oneconnect with the cable Sony included.
Connect HDMI directly to One Connect Box.
The PS4 is plugged directly into the oneconnect with the HDMI cable Sony included.
post #2449 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Thank you for your feedback.
post #2450 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
not necessarily the higher the number of zones , the better the TV is,it's about how well the dimming algorithm is made and applied.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...n-review.14868

remember that he is reviewing 65''
"Here is a side-by-side with the Sony Z9D on the left, the Q9FN on the right. The local dimming on the Q9FN is very aggressive even when set to low, so small details in the stars are lost. Those who like the deepest dark scenes may prefer the local dimming algorithm of the Q9FN, but those who are weary about losing dark scene details will prefer less aggressive algorithms"

Source: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...omparison_1658

Yeah, I'd take the processing on the Z9D.
post #2451 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
And how are you liking the qf8 over the c7

Multiple factors to consider. For the first time in 11 months I have a TV that works with any device I plug into it. So it's already better in that regard.

The picture quality is essentially on par with my C7. It's brighter overall, and black levels aren't noticeably better or worse than my OLED. I do notice additional details in scenes that were previously "black" on my OLED. I don't know if the black scene was intentional, or if it was a black crush. But it's nice being able to see a more "complete" picture in some rare occasions.

Gaming is excellent. Zero complaints on any front, and no worry in the back of my mind for any image retention or screen damage.

I don't like the apps (currently). I can't figure out how to get the TV app of Netflix to display in HDR. The Hulu app constantly stutters. Amazon video I currently only use for HBO - it works flawlessly. I'll probably just hook a Roku Ultimate or something up so I can get everything working in one location.

So picture = roughly the same.
Gaming = better experience
Apps = worse (for me)
Working TV = better
Hawkmoon and Glammer19 like this.
post #2452 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Multiple factors to consider. For the first time in 11 months I have a TV that works with any device I plug into it. So it's already better in that regard.

The picture quality is essentially on par with my C7. It's brighter overall, and black levels aren't noticeably better or worse than my OLED. I do notice additional details in scenes that were previously "black" on my OLED. I don't know if the black scene was intentional, or if it was a black crush. But it's nice being able to see a more "complete" picture in some rare occasions.

Gaming is excellent. Zero complaints on any front, and no worry in the back of my mind for any image retention or screen damage.

I don't like the apps (currently). I can't figure out how to get the TV app of Netflix to display in HDR. The Hulu app constantly stutters. Amazon video I currently only use for HBO - it works flawlessly. I'll probably just hook a Roku Ultimate or something up so I can get everything working in one location.

Apps = worse (for me)
Working TV = better
Is your Netflix account set to allow 4K HDR? It may be a silly question but it should show that it is depending on the show

post #2453 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Is your Netflix account set to allow 4K HDR? It may be a silly question but it should show that it is depending on the show

Of course.

It worked flawlessly on my C7. The apps on that TV are actually the only things that were reliable for me.
post #2454 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Apps = worse (for me)
Working TV = better
Awesome breakdown. I have a shield tv so I could use that as a back up since that is what I use now

post #2455 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post

I do agree with others that it's a disappointming move by Samsung.
I’m not at all disappointed. I spent a few hours going through various scenes out-of-the-box and uncalibrated, and everything looks fairly amazing already.

Posting a few pictures taken on cellphone camera, tv is uncalibrated, I’m off-center, and the room is completely darkened. I picked random white on black shots to highlight the zero blooming on this set - again right out of the box.

I will post more this weekend once I’ve had more time with the set, but I can already tell it blows my plasma out of the water - not even close in any aspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAC87D4E-1A09-4B2A-B7E2-B7BEA132A4C2_1525476755646.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2399042   Click image for larger version

Name:	975C5DFB-ADF3-425F-A003-A737ECF49AF6_1525476832756.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	2399044   Click image for larger version

Name:	4790FAD3-07BB-4C7C-8064-B71420CA8A2D_1525476852834.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2399046   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8ABE1F4-1351-4F57-A0E3-FC109EFFDEEB_1525476932125.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2399048   Click image for larger version

Name:	279C6943-070A-47C8-9C7E-4E6A2083F34E_1525476983035.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	2399050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6725817D-B2D2-4110-BBEF-92E1389E5318_1525477001983.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2399052   Click image for larger version

Name:	6CB9BDF3-104C-47CE-87B2-0DC71B6209BD_1525477049431.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2399054   Click image for larger version

Name:	43FC1D73-E58B-456E-8AC2-CB1BEAC96702_1525477068649.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2399056  
post #2456 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ in AZ View Post
I’m not at all disappointed. I spent a few hours going through various scenes out-of-the-box and uncalibrated, and everything looks fairly amazing already.

Posting a few pictures taken on cellphone camera, tv is uncalibrated, I’m off-center, and the room is completely darkened. I picked random white on black shots to highlight the zero blooming on this set - again right out of the box.

I will post more this weekend once I’ve had more time with the set, but I can already tell it blows my plasma out of the water - not even close in any aspect.
I think you are quoting someone who responded to me, not what I wrote.
post #2457 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerogue76 View Post

75 inch....ugh.... return or keep???
I would return it has yellow stains all over the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskrit11 View Post

Could try massaging it first.
Even if you massaged it & serenade it , it won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post

Can anyone familiar with last year's Q9 let me know if it would be worth selling and upgrading to this one or should I just wait a year.
I would wait to upgrade until next year to be honest.

Quote:

For how much you will be paying for the tv, you might as well, you may get a lemon.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #2458 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerogue76 View Post
75 inch....ugh.... return or keep???
Definitely return. That's awful.
post #2459 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:

Definitely some black crush going on in them first two pics. Sammy’s dimming is definitely too aggressive as some people have mentioned. Maybe a firmware update can lighten it up a bit...

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #2460 of 11045 Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 PM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Quote:

Definitely some black crush going on in them first two pics. Sammy’s dimming is definitely too aggressive as some people have mentioned. Maybe a firmware update can lighten it up a bit...
I don’t think it’s a Samsung issue.

It’s like that old Futurama gag about obscene tattoos that just look like a blur on “primitive 20th century TVs” - even if an iPhone could faithfully capture the picture (which it can’t), you’re tv couldn’t properly display it because it doesn’t have the same depth of color or the same brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page