2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11271Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2461 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Definitely some black crush going on in them first two pics. Sammy’s dimming is definitely too aggressive as some people have mentioned. Maybe a firmware update can lighten it up a bit...


I normally just adjust brightness to 1 and most of the time that fixes it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnotherDude likes this.
Charles Garcia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2462 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 35


Is this too bad?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Garcia is offline  
post #2463 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,723
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7307 Post(s)
Liked: 7335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzalert View Post
"Here is a side-by-side with the Sony Z9D on the left, the Q9FN on the right. The local dimming on the Q9FN is very aggressive even when set to low, so small details in the stars are lost. Those who like the deepest dark scenes may prefer the local dimming algorithm of the Q9FN, but those who are weary about losing dark scene details will prefer less aggressive algorithms"

Source: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...omparison_1658

Yeah, I'd take the processing on the Z9D.
That is why there are so many choices
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2464 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbill07 View Post
I'll be buying a Q9 soon from Best Buy. My question is has anyone purchased and used their extended warranty from BBuy? I just want to know if it's worth it or BS...
In my experience yes. I have used the extended warranty twice on 2 different sets. However BB charges more for extended warranties than anyone else.
dreaux is offline  
post #2465 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
In my experience yes. I have used the extended warranty twice on 2 different sets. However BB charges more for extended warranties than anyone else.
You're very unlucky
dreaux likes this.
Keithian is offline  
post #2466 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 10:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
My goodness what an upgrade it would be, your TV is primarily edge lit, where what you have is FALD, HUGE difference......
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, sorry. I don't know all of the little specifics as most of you.

I spoke with some people at the stores when I went to check it out (they weren't on display yet) and they told me they'd recommend upgrading at least every two years but then again what does the guy at Best Buy know lol. Money is not really an issue for me...I just don't want to buy a new one if the upgrades are very minimal.

Oh, and I had a potential buyer of my 65" Q9F (which is is pristine condition, never mounted) for $1,500. Any help much appreciated!
Vapor86 is offline  
post #2467 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
I have the q9fa 2017 and used the 2018 q9fn. I would not recommend upgrading your q9 for the 2018 model imho unless you do mostly viewing in a very dark room where the local dimming that significantly increase the contrast ratio would be of huge inpact.The 2018 q9 has dse and fald grid that is visible to those sensitive to that whereas the 2017 does not have that issue.

Overall make no mistake, the 2018 q9 is vastly superior with contrast ratio, local dimming and lower input lag in pc mode (16ms) and will have vrr ar some point and bfi on game mode.

Thanks man, appreciate that. Obviously the 2018 model is a bit better but seems I'd be best to wait it out another year for an upgrade. I have been tempted to get a 75" and I feel that extra screen real estate for movies and games would be pretty awesome. Most normal folks would think the 65" is enormous enough lol.
Vapor86 is offline  
post #2468 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Would you guys rather have a 75" 2017 Q9N or 2018 65" Q9NF?
Vapor86 is offline  
post #2469 of 11040 Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post
Would you guys rather have a 75" 2017 Q9N or 2018 65" Q9NF?
65" Q9FN. Quality trumps size in all but the most extreme circumstances for me. I don't think the 2017 Q9F is a slouch of a TV by any means, but it wouldn't be right if I didn't acknowledge that the FN is a better display.

Having said that, I'll take a 75" Q9FN. I'm not really one to settle.
rlindo, AnotherDude and Keithian like this.
Nillaz is offline  
post #2470 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 693
I’ll take the other side. I’d say decide your screen size based on seating distance and always give the edge to the larger size if it’s close. No one I know has ever said I wish I had bought the smaller size screen but lots have regretted not getting the larger size.
Wait until the 75” comes down in price or save up you won’t regret it. In a few months the 75” may be close in price to what 65” sets are selling for now.
bryanb and Top_Cat like this.
Clark Burk is offline  
post #2471 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
I have the q9fa 2017 and used the 2018 q9fn. I would not recommend upgrading your q9 for the 2018 model imho unless you do mostly viewing in a very dark room where the local dimming that significantly increase the contrast ratio would be of huge inpact.The 2018 q9 has dse and fald grid that is visible to those sensitive to that whereas the 2017 does not have that issue.

Overall make no mistake, the 2018 q9 is vastly superior with contrast ratio, local dimming and lower input lag in pc mode (16ms) and will have vrr ar some point and bfi on game mode.

Thanks man, appreciate that. Obviously the 2018 model is a bit better but seems I'd be best to wait it out another year for an upgrade. I have been tempted to get a 75" and I feel that extra screen real estate for movies and games would be pretty awesome. Most normal folks would think the 65" is enormous enough lol.
I agree waiting until next years models would be a better course of action with the Q9 you have now 🙂
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #2472 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackvette94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post
Would you guys rather have a 75" 2017 Q9N or 2018 65" Q9NF?
65" Q9FN. Quality trumps size in all but the most extreme circumstances for me. I don't think the 2017 Q9F is a slouch of a TV by any means, but it wouldn't be right if I didn't acknowledge that the FN is a better display.

Having said that, I'll take a 75" Q9FN. I'm not really one to settle.
For sure, the 2018 model is seriously better than the q9fa in almost all respects. If your not sensitive to dse, I would say go for it!
Blackvette94 is offline  
post #2473 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Anyone can guess when the price on the 65 inch will start going down? I need one but can wait till early July...
Ash Sharma is offline  
post #2474 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Anyone can guess when the price on the 65 inch will start going down? I need one but can wait till early July...
The fall

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Brian_Barros is offline  
post #2475 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, sorry. I don't know all of the little specifics as most of you.

I spoke with some people at the stores when I went to check it out (they weren't on display yet) and they told me they'd recommend upgrading at least every two years but then again what does the guy at Best Buy know lol. Money is not really an issue for me...I just don't want to buy a new one if the upgrades are very minimal.

Oh, and I had a potential buyer of my 65" Q9F (which is is pristine condition, never mounted) for $1,500. Any help much appreciated!
Sold my 2017 65 q9f to a friend for £2400 as its only 5 months old and now taking delivery of a 2018 75 q9fn next wednesday as i got a good deal.

so in my opinion if u get the right price for your old tv and the new one go for it
dreaux and BlueChris like this.
slyfan is offline  
post #2476 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Gouty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Last night tried watching what was only the second movie on my 75 inch Q9FN, the standard bluray of Hostiles and the local dimming was just awful.

Or at least I assume it was the local dimming.

I recorded what I was experiencing in pretty much any dark scene throughout the film where the shadows on the edge of the picture kept dancing around and looking like they were going to swallow Christian Bale's head.

It was even worse in person than what I can convey with my phone but its still pretty obvious.

These are short videos but don't click them if you're concerned with spoilers.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My settings are pretty much exactly what Rtings recommends. I tried turning the backlight anywhere from 8 to 21 while changing the local dimming to all three settings and the problem persisted regardless.



Last edited by Gouty; 05-05-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Gouty is offline  
post #2477 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post
Thanks man, appreciate that. Obviously the 2018 model is a bit better but seems I'd be best to wait it out another year for an upgrade. I have been tempted to get a 75" and I feel that extra screen real estate for movies and games would be pretty awesome. Most normal folks would think the 65" is enormous enough lol.
Yes, and 10 million $ is a bit better than 1 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post
Last night tried watching what was only the second movie on my 75 inch Q9FN, the standard bluray of Hostiles and the local dimming was just awful.

Or at least I assume it was the local dimming.

I recorded what I was experiencing in pretty much any dark scene throughout the film where the shadows on the edge of the picture kept dancing around and looking like they were going to swallow Christian Bale's head.

It was even worse in person than what I can convey with my phone but its still pretty obvious.

These are short videos but don't click them if you're concerned with spoilers.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My settings are pretty much exactly what Rtings recommends. I tried turning the backlight anywhere from 8 to 21 while changing the local dimming to all three settings and the problem persisted regardless.


The current algorithm has problems with some low contrast dim scenarios. It's been reported and hopefully a fix is in progress. But also remember every panel is somewhat different, even if the same model. And the 75 is different from the 65. For BD stay away from dimming high. I use a backlight between 10 and 12 (current), and brightness of 2 to avoid black crush not in content. To get the white to a Rec-709 level of around 100 nits I use contrast of 31.

I realize many people here want lots of pop but I'm more into what the BD was supposed to look like. OK, I did set the white to 106 nits .
rlindo likes this.
AnotherDude is offline  
post #2478 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Need a bit a help from you guys, I literally have a fingerprint on the corner of my Q9FN and when I used a soft rag to clean, the mark just won't rub off. How can I clean fingerprints off the TV without causing any damage?
thisbryanguy001 is offline  
post #2479 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Need a bit a help from you guys, I literally have a fingerprint on the corner of my Q9FN and when I used a soft rag to clean, the mark just won't rub off. How can I clean fingerprints off the TV without causing any damage?
Soft rag with clean water?

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, Sony TA-N9000ES
C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Enthusiast, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
AnotherDude is offline  
post #2480 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Soft rag with clean water?
I did this but there is like a blue mark on the tv where I was wiping that is noticeable when a reflection hits that part of the TV. I doubt the panel is damaged but I swear if it can get damaged just from simply a rag and water...
thisbryanguy001 is offline  
post #2481 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,083
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12877 Post(s)
Liked: 12247
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Need a bit a help from you guys, I literally have a fingerprint on the corner of my Q9FN and when I used a soft rag to clean, the mark just won't rub off. How can I clean fingerprints off the TV without causing any damage?

Microfiber cloth
ray0414 is offline  
post #2482 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Microfiber cloth
Didn't think I had one but I just found one a few minutes ago and the mark came off after a few seconds of rubbing the area. Appreciate it
thisbryanguy001 is offline  
post #2483 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A word of warning for anyone considering the purchase of a OLED TV.All the manufacturers maintain that screenburn is not an issue,yet if you read the small print of their guarantees this is EXCLUDED.
chasteven is offline  
post #2484 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Because I'm getting an insane discount leveraging someone's Best Buy Employeee's discount, it looks like I'll be ordering this TV later today in the 75" despite the zone count drama between this and the 65". I really think 480 zones is good enough. With that said, if anyone has any recommendations for a good receiver that seems to work well with this TV, feel free to suggest away :-). Nervous about getting Denon from what others have posted here.
Keithian is offline  
post #2485 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Because I'm getting an insane discount leveraging someone's Best Buy Employeee's discount, it looks like I'll be ordering this TV later today in the 75" despite the zone count drama between this and the 65". I really think 480 zones is good enough. With that said, if anyone has any recommendations for a good receiver that seems to work well with this TV, feel free to suggest away :-). Nervous about getting Denon from what others have posted here.
I'm rockin' a Sony Str-1070. No hiccups at all with it. I'm sure the Str-1080 would do just as good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Keithian likes this.
Damar1979 is offline  
post #2486 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Because I'm getting an insane discount leveraging someone's Best Buy Employeee's discount, it looks like I'll be ordering this TV later today in the 75" despite the zone count drama between this and the 65". I really think 480 zones is good enough. With that said, if anyone has any recommendations for a good receiver that seems to work well with this TV, feel free to suggest away :-). Nervous about getting Denon from what others have posted here.
Happy savings!
Keithian likes this.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, Sony TA-N9000ES
C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Enthusiast, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
AnotherDude is offline  
post #2487 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
I'm rockin' a Sony Str-1070. No hiccups at all with it. I'm sure the Str-1080 would do just as good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you. Will add that to my list of compare :-). Its not very expensive. Cnet seems to love it. Someone complained on Amazon that it doesn't allow for multichannel playing where all the speakers can play at the same time, so not sure how accurate that is. Anyway, its an option so thanks for the suggestion.
Damar1979 likes this.
Keithian is offline  
post #2488 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Because I'm getting an insane discount leveraging someone's Best Buy Employeee's discount, it looks like I'll be ordering this TV later today in the 75" despite the zone count drama between this and the 65". I really think 480 zones is good enough. With that said, if anyone has any recommendations for a good receiver that seems to work well with this TV, feel free to suggest away :-). Nervous about getting Denon from what others have posted here.
Alright! You finally decided to get one. With that discount I would too.
Congratulations.
My Onkyo TX-RZ810 with Atmos seems to take everything I throw at it. However there are many 4K AVR's that work well.
Keithian likes this.

Last edited by dreaux; 05-05-2018 at 01:52 PM.
dreaux is offline  
post #2489 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Alright! You finally decided to get one. With that discount I would too.
Congratulations.
My Onkyo TX-RZ810 with Atmos seems to take everything I throw at it. However there are many 4K AVR's that work well.
Thank you. Our extensive back and forth played heavily with my decision. Its nice to have someone you can trust in the wild wild west of these forums. :-).
Keithian is offline  
post #2490 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasteven View Post
A word of warning for anyone considering the purchase of a OLED TV.All the manufacturers maintain that screenburn is not an issue,yet if you read the small print of their guarantees this is EXCLUDED.
Just wondering why people keep popping into this thread to talk about OLED? The OLED threads are that way —->

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off