2018 Samsung Q9FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11271Likes

post #2491 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Thank you. Our extensive back and forth played heavily with my decision. Its nice to have someone you can trust in the wild wild west of these forums. :-).
Very curious to see if the Q9FN matches your requirements for an excellent display.
Keithian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sony X900F

Decided I am going to return the Q9FN while still in the return window and give the 85 inch X900F a try as the 75 inch is just not enough of an upgrade coming from the 70 inch Vizio. I guess it is true in my case, size being the biggest factor regarding buyers remorse and returns. Will update those who are interested with picture differences. Content is mostly Gaming, Netflix, and Sports. Thanks!
Gillietalls likes this.
post #2493 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbryanguy001 View Post
Need a bit a help from you guys, I literally have a fingerprint on the corner of my Q9FN and when I used a soft rag to clean, the mark just won't rub off. How can I clean fingerprints off the TV without causing any damage?

First of all, did you take off the protective screen on the panel? If you did, use a micro fiber cloth DONOT use a rag. If you have a eyeglass cleaner spray a tiny bit on the micro fiver cloth. That should do the trick. Do it gently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2494 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7306 Post(s)
Liked: 7335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor86 View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, sorry. I don't know all of the little specifics as most of you.

I spoke with some people at the stores when I went to check it out (they weren't on display yet) and they told me they'd recommend upgrading at least every two years but then again what does the guy at Best Buy know lol. Money is not really an issue for me...I just don't want to buy a new one if the upgrades are very minimal.
No sir, not being sarcastic, not sure about the updating every 2 years. Depends if you need the said updates that come around.....
post #2495 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Because I'm getting an insane discount leveraging someone's Best Buy Employeee's discount, it looks like I'll be ordering this TV later today in the 75" despite the zone count drama between this and the 65". I really think 480 zones is good enough. With that said, if anyone has any recommendations for a good receiver that seems to work well with this TV, feel free to suggest away :-). Nervous about getting Denon from what others have posted here.

How much discount do BB employees get? Just curious...

post #2496 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Finally got the picture dialed in on the 65" Q9FN, and it is spectacular. For a while I was not thrilled with the color (flesh tones seemed washed out, colors muted, etc), but then I realized I hadn't checked the UHD color option for each of the HDMI inputs. To quote Dr. Steve Brule, 'bringo.' Made all the difference.

Coming from a VT50, which had trouble competing with a candle or a firefly, to be able to watch a movie with the windows open and have black bars, deep blacks, and no reflections... wow. It's a game-changer.

In a light-controlled testing room the C8 may still win out because of the infinite blacks, but in my living room this thing is pretty much unbeatable. And at no point am I looking at the picture and wishing for deeper blacks.

Do I have DSE? Sure, yeah, whatever.

But it's only there with certain fixed images or modernwize's DSE tests, and during playback it's simply not a factor, so I'm keeping it. Couldn't be happier with this set. WAF of 10+.

Wish everyone the best of luck in the panel lottery! If I get some good pics, will post.
post #2497 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I finally decided to order my 75” Q9 today, should have it around the 19th. Upgrading from a 65” ks8000 so really excited to go from edge lit to full array.
dreaux likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #2498 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
Finally got the picture dialed in on the 65" Q9FN, and it is spectacular. For a while I was not thrilled with the color (flesh tones seemed washed out, colors muted, etc), but then I realized I hadn't checked the UHD color option for each of the HDMI inputs. To quote Dr. Steve Brule, 'bringo.' Made all the difference.

Coming from a VT50, which had trouble competing with a candle or a firefly, to be able to watch a movie with the windows open and have black bars, deep blacks, and no reflections... wow. It's a game-changer.

In a light-controlled testing room the C8 may still win out because of the infinite blacks, but in my living room this thing is pretty much unbeatable. And at no point am I looking at the picture and wishing for deeper blacks.

But it's only there with certain fixed images or modernwize's DSE tests, and during playback it's simply not a factor, so I'm keeping it. Couldn't be happier with this set. WAF of 10+.

Wish everyone the best of luck in the panel lottery! If I get some good pics, will post.

Can you share your settings (or point to page ones that you have used)?

thanks
post #2499 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
I finally decided to order my 75” Q9 today, should have it around the 19th. Upgrading from a 65” ks8000 so really excited to go from edge lit to full array.
Congrats on your purchase. I have to wait until june 8th unless I want to go to a further store to get it, but I don't trust laying it flat and then taking on the responsibility if something happens so I have to be patient
post #2500 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Congrats on your purchase. What settings are you using and what sources are you watching? Like to hear impressions of different resolutions.
post #2501 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase. What settings are you using and what sources are you watching? Like to hear impressions of different resolutions.
Thanks!! 4K HDR looks great from the limited amount I've seen -- I'm still getting through my favorites. Groundhog Day on Apple TV 4K looks like a new print. LEGO Batman is a stunning explosion of deep blacks and searing colors. Going to do some Netflixing to really see what it can do.

I'm actually most impressed with the upscaling of 1080p. Films from the 1970's like Godfather and Jaws look superb, even preserving some grain. Colors pop way more than on my VT50 without looking over-saturated. Blacks are simply better. Marvel stuff is just killer.

For whatever reason, things look more detailed and crisp when streamed through my Apple TV 4K than through the native Samsung streaming apps.

Oppo Blu-Ray (1080p) content also looks better than it did on the VT50. Because of upscaling, though, now 1080p on the Apple TV is virtually indistinguishable from Blu-Ray, to my eyes anyway. (Doubt I'm ever going to get a UHD player. After the $ I spent on BD's, I'm done with physical media.)

One thing this TV does is maximize the quality of content for better or worse, in the way a good hi-fi system can really highlight both good and bad mixes. For example, some movies are inconsistently color-corrected, with the skin tones spot-on in one scene and overly bronzed in another.

SDR/Cable is Meh, but I really don't care. The less crap on broadcast TV my family watches, the better. I don't game, so N/A there.

Knowing I don't have to badger my kids anymore to not pause the TV (I had to explain burn-in every week for the last 5 years) is going to add years to my life. One Connect is genius. And off-axis viewing is far better than I expected.

So happy I bought this TV. Zero OLED envy.

I tried to take a picture of Thor: Ragnarok and it just blew out my iPhone, so hats off to everyone else on Earth who seems to know how to photograph their screen.

Anyway, here are my settings. Nothing fancy, no curveballs, but it seems to be working. Curious to see what a D-Nice calibration will do down the road.

---------------------------

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint G0/R0
Apply picture settings: All Sources
Digital Clean View: Auto or Off
Auto motion plus: Off
Local dimming: High
Contrast enhancer: Off
HDR+: (greyed out)
Color tone: Warm 2
Gamma Bt.1886 0
RGB only: Off
Color space: Off

And make sure all the HDMI ports are selected for UHD color.

Hope it's helpful!!
dreaux, killbill07 and Keithian like this.
post #2502 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!! 4K HDR looks great from the limited amount I've seen -- I'm still getting through my favorites. Groundhog Day on Apple TV 4K looks like a new print. LEGO Batman is a stunning explosion of deep blacks and searing colors. Going to do some Netflixing to really see what it can do.

I'm actually most impressed with the upscaling of 1080p. Films from the 1970's like Godfather and Jaws look superb, even preserving some grain. Colors pop way more than on my VT50 without looking over-saturated. Blacks are simply better. Marvel stuff is just killer.

For whatever reason, things look more detailed and crisp when streamed through my Apple TV 4K than through the native Samsung streaming apps.

Oppo Blu-Ray (1080p) content also looks better than it did on the VT50. Because of upscaling, though, now 1080p on the Apple TV is virtually indistinguishable from Blu-Ray, to my eyes anyway. (Doubt I'm ever going to get a UHD player. After the $ I spent on BD's, I'm done with physical media.)

One thing this TV does is maximize the quality of content for better or worse, in the way a good hi-fi system can really highlight both good and bad mixes. For example, some movies are inconsistently color-corrected, with the skin tones spot-on in one scene and overly bronzed in another.

SDR/Cable is Meh, but I really don't care. The less crap on broadcast TV my family watches, the better. I don't game, so N/A there.

Knowing I don't have to badger my kids anymore to not pause the TV (I had to explain burn-in every week for the last 5 years) is going to add years to my life. One Connect is genius. And off-axis viewing is far better than I expected.

I tried to take a picture of Thor: Ragnarok and it just blew out my iPhone, so hats off to everyone else on Earth who seems to know how to photograph their screen.

Anyway, here are my settings. Nothing fancy, no curveballs, but it seems to be working. Curious to see what a D-Nice calibration will do down the road.

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint G0/R0
Gamma Bt.1886 0

Hope it's helpful!!
That's very helpful Thanks. I'm sure it will be to others too.

I hear you about the blu-ray. I haven't bought one for a very long time. Saves money and streaming is good enough to me. I think more and more it's becoming more of an enthusiast or hobby thing rather than anything practical (sorry if Im insulting anyone) lol)

When you say cable/sdr is meh, any more or less than other TVs or just in general regardless of the TV? I prefer satellite to cable because to me it just looks a bit sharper.
IronManFan likes this.
post #2503 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
That's very helpful Thanks. I'm sure it will be to others too.

I hear you about the blu-ray. I haven't bought one for a very long time. Saves money and streaming is good enough to me. I think more and more it's becoming more of an enthusiast or hobby thing rather than anything practical (sorry if Im insulting anyone) lol)

When you say cable/sdr is meh, any more or less than other TVs or just in general regardless of the TV? I prefer satellite to cable because to me it just looks a bit sharper.
"Meh" in that cable looks the same or worse than it did on my VT50. This very well may be true of any 4K TV, but this is the only reference I have, and I've only ever had TWC/Spectrum, so again, nothing to compare.

FWIW, The advantages to buying content on Apple TV vs physical: 1) you can take it with you on your iPad/iPhone/iWhatever. 2) if the format upgrades, your movie upgrades. I bought The Nice Guys as a 1080p title, and now it's 4k HDR for no extra $. and 3) NO STARTUP MENUS. After watching a bunch of instant-on movies and going back to BD, the menus are far more of an issue than any minor deficiencies in PQ.

The thing about physical media being the domain of hobbyists is that physical video media (as opposed to music) can only be produced by huge conglomerates (no one is legally printing Black Panther UHD's in their basement studios), so there is an end date to it all -- the nanosecond it stops being profitable.

Till then, sure, there's a market and money to be made, but I'd bet vinyl records will be around and in use long past when Blu-Rays are extinct.
Keithian likes this.
post #2504 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanT23 View Post
Decided I am going to return the Q9FN while still in the return window and give the 85 inch X900F a try as the 75 inch is just not enough of an upgrade coming from the 70 inch Vizio. I guess it is true in my case, size being the biggest factor regarding buyers remorse and returns. Will update those who are interested with picture differences. Content is mostly Gaming, Netflix, and Sports. Thanks!
I am very interested in this very comparison, thanks!
post #2505 of 11040 Old 05-05-2018, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Alright! You finally decided to get one. With that discount I would too.
Congratulations.
My Onkyo TX-RZ810 with Atmos seems to take everything I throw at it. However there are many 4K AVR's that work well.
After 3 hours of research I decided to get the Onkyo-RZ820 on Amazon which is just the current version of what you have, not much different. It seems like a winner for price, thank you. Unfortunately I'll get it a month before the TV lol, but I can still test it with the Elite which I'm probably going to give for free to the Best Buy friend who was nice enough to do this for me today. He's using a 39" TV and can't afford a new TV so I feel like I should to do something to show my appreciation and help someone.
post #2506 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sad news friends,

Unboxed this beauty today and upon initial boot -- a nasty dead pixel, staring blankly into my soul.

None left within 200 miles to exchange. Will try to run a few 4K dead pixel fixers for giggles but sounds like it's going back. I doubt Samsung is sending someone out even though it is massive. It gets hard to see past 12+ feet which is where I'll have it. Cannot see off angle, so once it is mounted high up + my current seating distance, I'll just pretend it doesn't exist and hope it isn't noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_024925.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2399422  
post #2507 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmclove14 View Post
Sad news friends,

Unboxed this beauty today and upon initial boot -- a nasty dead pixel, staring blankly into my soul.

None left within 200 miles to exchange. Will try to run a few 4K dead pixel fixers for giggles but sounds like it's going back. I doubt Samsung is sending someone out even though it is massive. It gets hard to see past 12+ feet which is where I'll have it. Cannot see off angle, so once it is mounted high up + my current seating distance, I'll just pretend it doesn't exist and hope it isn't noticeable.

I think that’s more than one pixel combined together.

rlindo likes this.
post #2508 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got mine yesterday. Happy with it but need some help please.

Has anybody come across the on timer feature ? Can’t seem to find it.
post #2509 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Sad news friends,

That looks like dust sandwiched between 2 layers of the LCD. Not unheard of.
MCaugusto likes this.
post #2510 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
After 3 hours of research I decided to get the Onkyo-RZ820 on Amazon which is just the current version of what you have, not much different. It seems like a winner for price, thank you. Unfortunately I'll get it a month before the TV lol, but I can still test it with the Elite which I'm probably going to give for free to the Best Buy friend who was nice enough to do this for me today. He's using a 39" TV and can't afford a new TV so I feel like I should to do something to show my appreciation and help someone.
Nice gesture, I'm sure an Elite will be a big upgrade for him.
I like Onkyo's, they seem to be loaded with features yet rock solid. Congratulations.
You got all the moves but no guitar..yet...lol.
post #2511 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Best buy cancelled my order for the 75 q9 for may 10 and next date is June 8 lol. They apparently didn't have the stock tonfufill the order despite letting me place that order and schedule. Oh well.

Placed an order with abt as it said they had one left in stock and will arrive on the 11th.

Anyone dealt with abt before on return/exchange policy if there's unacceptable DSE/banding/dead pixels or the yellowing we've seen on here?
post #2512 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint G0/R0
Gamma Bt.1886 0

Hope it's helpful!!
IMHO common SDR content will look much better with local dimming at low or standard and a back light of 10-15. That's probably the main reason cable looks meh. You're blowing levels relatively way out of proportion from what they were meant to be.

I'm on DirecTV and well-made programming looks much better than it should at the lower setting levels especially with the upscaling. You should try being source selective with your settings.

I'm currently using the Cal-Day and Cal-Night picture modes which become available when you calibrate via the serial port and loving it.

Quote:
Sad news friends,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Just to double-check, did you properly remove the plastic protective film covering the screen?
rlindo and IronManFan like this.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, Sony TA-N9000ES
C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Enthusiast, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #2513 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Best buy cancelled my order for the 75 q9 for may 10 and next date is June 8 lol. They apparently didn't have the stock tonfufill the order despite letting me place that order and schedule. Oh well.

Placed an order with abt as it said they had one left in stock and will arrive on the 11th.

Anyone dealt with abt before on return/exchange policy if there's unacceptable DSE/banding/dead pixels or the yellowing we've seen on here?
Their return policy doesn't say anything about not returning TVs, but it does say oversized items shipped by freight will be arranged for return freight at your cost. So if you want to be able to swap for panel lottery you may want to stick with a local store like Best Buy and just be patient.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #2514 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Their return policy doesn't say anything about not returning TVs, but it does say oversized items shipped by freight will be arranged for return freight at your cost. So if you want to be able to swap for panel lottery you may want to stick with a local store like Best Buy and just be patient.
.... That is exactly why I did not order from them in the past. Such a ridiculous policy. June 8th was my date too at BB. Maybe the delay is due to Samsung working on some of the uniformity issues and our lot will be better . I like to be optimistic.
post #2515 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
IMHO common SDR content will look much better with local dimming at low or standard and a back light of 10-15. That's probably the main reason cable looks meh. You're blowing levels relatively way out of proportion from what they were meant to be.

I'm on DirecTV and well-made programming looks much better than it should at the lower setting levels especially with the upscaling. You should try being source selective with your settings.

I'm currently using the Cal-Day and Cal-Night picture modes which become available when you calibrate via the serial port and loving it.
Is there any chance you could post your full settings? Many I'm sure might find that helpful....especially me since I have DirectTV. If not the two you listed might be enough to tinker with
post #2516 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post

From what I gathered that's only if u return because you're not satisfied not if it's defective.
post #2517 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there any chance you could post your full settings? Many I'm sure might find that helpful....especially me since I have DirectTV. If not the two you listed might be enough to tinker with
I need to state I'm only doing SDR ATM. If you're switching between HDR and SDR content often and trying to make SDR look like HDR then this might not work for you. I'm setting out to make SDR content look the best as it was originally intended, not looking for lots of extra pop not in the original content. A bit more pop, sure .

So, for Movie mode,
Backlight ~12-15,
Brightness 1-2 (helps keep black crush out),
Contrast ~35,
local dimming Low or Standard
Color Tone Warm2
and of course any "Auto Feature" goes off.

These give me a white of around 100 nits, which is how REC-709 content was intended. 110 nits? No problem, but keep rising and things start going off from its intended course.

When I calibrated my old Sharp Elite I would end up with a white level of ~30 nits . That's so I could get the blackest blacks with good shadows. It may seem way dim, but if you start from a dim ambient environment and then look at the image your eyes quickly adapt and it looks fine. If you start from a bright environment or watching 500+ nit images and suddenly switch, your eyes will take a while to adapt and at first you'll say yech! 100 nits as intended with almost total black is a huge step up for me .

As far as DirecTV there can be great variance between channels. With these settings well transfered movies (and especially commercials!) in Starz and Hallmark channels look really good - dim scenarios look properly dim and bright ones look properly bright, and the upscale is fantastic. The small Recording indicator in the guide and timeline looks perfectly round, not pixelated.

But in the end you need to go with what you're looking for .
Keithian likes this.

post #2518 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Just to double-check, did you properly remove the plastic protective film covering the screen?
Fun story; it didn't have that shiny plastic piece you see in all of the boxing videos. Someone forgot to put one on in production lol. I pulled the two tabs off the sides and that was it. + that huge dead cluster of pixel, dust, whatever it may be. No clue how to fix that.
post #2519 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Any way to fix short of calling Samsung out here to disassemble?
post #2520 of 11040 Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fun story; it didn't have that shiny plastic piece you see in all of the boxing videos. Someone forgot to put one on in production lol. I pulled the two tabs off the sides and that was it. + that huge dead cluster of pixel, dust, whatever it may be. No clue how to fix that.
Make sure it just didn't get yanked of as it should have. I believe someone posted it didn't come off as it should have when the two side tabs were pulled off and eventually were able to get it off.
n2speed125 and Synikal like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page