2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4432Likes

post #3301 of 9983 Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Spent the day setting up our new 55 inch x900f, with Samsung soundbar, Sony UBP-X700 blue ray player, AppleTV 4K, new Monoprice certified cables etc. My family is a bit upset with me at this point, as, admittedly early in the game, I'd have to agree with them..... except for the sharpness, our previous TV, a 10+ year old Sharp Aquos seemed to still look better. Most definitely it was WAY better in off-axis viewing, seeming brightness etc. Pretty tired and more than a little down. Hopefully researching settings etc, tomorrow and in near future will change opinions. Definitely frustrating/upsetting to have spent all this time today and the $ to have everybody disappointed! My daughter was supposed to watch Black Panther, on Netflix for her college film class, and it looks pretty bad. Looked way better yesterday on the old Sharp. My sister and her husband got a new TV last week, which is pretty much why I decided to do the same, as we were incredibly impressed with his out of the box, no adjustments Samsung Q6fn picture. Bright great vivid colors etc. Definitely had a different experience at our house. Hopefully in the days to come, I can get ours to look similar to the in-store 900f displays that went a long way towards my purchase decision.

Last edited by CAmm805; 09-30-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 9983 Old 09-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
What setting are you using by chance? There have not been a lot of settings posted in this thread which is odd....
Have you started with Rtings settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there,I have searched and tried all settings on the internet lol.I found 1 that was decent on youtube and just fixing to my liking.But As I said it is been very hard to find something I like for cable TV.I am testing more tonight and it doesn't to look to bad.This tv has a very sharp image which brings out all imperfections so it can be harsh at times.

I found a setting I like for netflix from youtube and enjoyed watching the 2 movies that I liked alot on my samsung nu8000.I watched jeepers creepers 2 and black panther on the samsung nu8000 and was blown away.I watched again out the box and it didn't look good at all.After finding 1 setting it looks awesome and I am keeping that for netflix for sure.I am still disappointed overall with the tv for the price so far.However I couId not deal with the ticking/clicking noise from the nu8000 and it sound like it is on the samsung Q6F as well.
post #3303 of 9983 Old 09-30-2018, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmm805 View Post
Spent the day setting up our new 55 inch x900f, with Samsung soundbar, Sony UBP-X700 blue ray player, AppleTV 4K, new Monoprice certified cables etc. My family is a bit upset with me at this point, as, admittedly early in the game, I'd have to agree with them..... except for the sharpness, our previous TV, a 10+ year old Sharp Aquos seemed to still look better. Most definitely it was WAY better in off-axis viewing, seeming brightness etc. Pretty tired and more than a little down. Hopefully researching settings etc, tomorrow and in near future will change opinions. Definitely frustrating/upsetting to have spent all this time today and the $ to have everybody disappointed! My daughter was supposed to watch Black Panther, on Netflix for her college film class, and it looks pretty bad. Looked way better yesterday on the old Sharp. My sister and her husband got a new TV last week, which is pretty much why I decided to do the same, as we were incredibly impressed with his out of the box, no adjustments Samsung Q6fn picture. Bright great vivid colors etc. Definitely had a different experience at our house. Hopefully in the days to come, I can get ours to look similar to the in-store 900f displays that went a long way towards my purchase decision.
I've had the "85 900F for a few days now. It does indeed have some blooming. I watched "The Martian" on 4K UHD and the picture was terrific with only slight blooming on corners of the black bars. Watched football all weekend and was very happy with the PQ. I've been using the rtings.com settings with some slight tweaks here and there. It's an awesome set (loving the massive 85" size) ... but to get those true inky blacks ... I believe OLED is the only option at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
CAmm805 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTV69 View Post
I've had the "85 900F for a few days now. It does indeed have some blooming. I watched "The Martian" on 4K UHD and the picture was terrific with only slight blooming on corners of the black bars. Watched football all weekend and was very happy with the PQ. I've been using the rtings.com settings with some slight tweaks here and there. It's an awesome set (loving the massive 85" size) ... but to get those true inky blacks ... I believe OLED is the only option at this point.

I could not imagine 85".This 55 is the biggest tv I have owned.The box alone would be crazy to see lol.

I fully agree with you on the OLED.That is my main issue with the nu8000 and this TV.Never felt that when I had my older LCD tho
post #3305 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
For those that are wondering what typical HDR local dimming blooming looks like on the X900F, I am attaching a picture. This is the typical small highlight on a dark scene that blows out a significant portion of the screen, especially the letterbox bars. With local dimming off, pretty much everything blooms everywhere all the time at MAX brightness settings.
What size is your 900f?
post #3306 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I placed an order for the 75" 900f but still wondering if I should go with the 65" z9f. I currently have a 60" so either will be larger than what I currently have.
post #3307 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 05:45 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
This is concerning because I am expecting a 85x900F to be delivered this week but I will tell you after spending hours researching, going to several best buys to watch the set etc, this et should blow the Q6 away (and it was a set I was considering).

What are the exact things you are concerned with, it isn't very good for off axis viewing, but the Q6 is the same.
post #3308 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
How is the 900F for Hdr10 and Dolby Vision content? I’m thinking of moving up from a 65” LG B6 to a 75” 900F.
post #3309 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Just turn off 'Auto Update'.
I'm new to the menu system, where is this setting?

Thanks!
post #3310 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 230
  1. On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
  2. Under the settings category, select Help.
  3. Select System software update.
  4. Select Automatic software download.
  5. Select Off.
I think it is off by default, but don't remember, since you have to agree to terms and conditions.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #3311 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For one, the set at the store is in retail mode with more saturation and brighter. I'm sure you already know this. And you already also know that they show intentionally vibrant and contrasting colors in the loops. A lot of people just aren't used the 'less vivid and less saturated' but 'more realistic' color of the Sony televisions. I came from a Samsung KS8000 (that failed) and it took everyone a few days to adjust, but now they like it.

You can always adjust the color saturation and gamma. I do that for games.
CAmm805 likes this.
post #3312 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We picked up the 55 inch X900F over the weekend, to replace a 7 year old XBR55HX929. The new unit is a very slight improvement from the 929 on movies and much better on sports, and about the same for gaming. I guess that's probably a testament to how good the 929 was back in the day. To be fair though, the new TV cost just over half of I what I paid for the 929 7 years ago.

I like the Android system so far, after turning off Sony Shelf to get rid of the clutter, and Samba to speed things up.

I do notice the off-axis viewing is not as consistent as the 929.

So far though, I am liking the set.
post #3313 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
  1. On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
  2. Under the settings category, select Help.
  3. Select System software update.
  4. Select Automatic software download.
  5. Select Off.
I think it is off by default, but don't remember, since you have to agree to terms and conditions.
Thanks, I looked everywhere but Help

I don't know if it's off by default, as all three of my 900F's were setup by the installer. He may have turned it on? But it kept flashing "Update Now or Later" on screen when we'd turn it on, and I don't want my wife wondering what to do. So now it's OFF...

It's easy enough to follow this thread and update manually when I hear about it.

Thanks again.
post #3314 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydallas View Post
This is concerning because I am expecting a 85x900F to be delivered this week but I will tell you after spending hours researching, going to several best buys to watch the set etc, this et should blow the Q6 away (and it was a set I was considering).

What are the exact things you are concerned with, it isn't very good for off axis viewing, but the Q6 is the same.

The off axis viewing, colors and contrast, seem to drop off rapidly as you move towards the TVs side. Definitely experienced this, looking at other TVs as well, at Best Buy. Just wasn't expecting the fall-off to be so pronounced. Out of the box, when first viewing TV, colors were very washed out and contrast, blacks etc were very washed out as well. Using a temporary settings recommendation from CNET improved things quite a bit but will definitely be trying others. I was hoping for a TV, like my old Sharp, where I could just do some minor initial adjustments and then just enjoy the TV. Still hoping this will be the case but it's a lot more complex/complicated than I had anticipated. Time and experience will undoubtedly improve things. Good luck with your new TV... enjoy!
post #3315 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This TV is on my wishlist but I'm also able to the the Sammy 82" NU8000 for $2250. TV is in the basement and I sit 9.5' away and I watch MOSTLY TV shows (a ton of sports) along with some Netflix. Do I go for the amazing PQ of the Sony or the size?
post #3316 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
This TV is on my wishlist but I'm also able to the the Sammy 82" NU8000 for $2250. TV is in the basement and I sit 9.5' away and I watch MOSTLY TV shows (a ton of sports) along with some Netflix. Do I go for the amazing PQ of the Sony or the size?

Quality vs. quantity will create a lot varying opinions. At 9.5 feet, I would go quality over quantity since you are looking at at least a 65" television. If you want bigger and your budget has any flexibility, you can find at a 75X900F for a bit more if you look.

I think the motion and up conversion alone warrants the Sony since you are big on sports, but that is me. Others will scream bigger!
post #3317 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Quality vs. quantity will create a lot varying opinions. At 9.5 feet, I would go quality over quantity since you are looking at at least a 65" television. If you want bigger and your budget has any flexibility, you can find at a 75X900F for a bit more if you look.

I think the motion and up conversion alone warrants the Sony since you are big on sports, but that is me. Others will scream bigger!
Lol, thats the exact dilemma I've facing. I'll be coming from a cheap Vizio E601-A3 so either is a big upgrade! Thinking the Sony is my best option tho.
post #3318 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsv510 View Post
What size is your 900f?
49", so the least amount of local dimming zones. If that highlight were just a tiny candle flame, the blooming would be just as pronounced, as it's basically bleedover from the zone that is boosting it's luminance to make even a tiny highlight such a a candle "pop".

Paul
post #3319 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTV69 View Post
But they do not make anything 85"........
post #3320 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
But they do not make anything 85"........
Alrighty.

post #3321 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
Hi there,I have searched and tried all settings on the internet lol.I found 1 that was decent on youtube and just fixing to my liking.But As I said it is been very hard to find something I like for cable TV.I am testing more tonight and it doesn't to look to bad.This tv has a very sharp image which brings out all imperfections so it can be harsh at times.

I found a setting I like for netflix from youtube and enjoyed watching the 2 movies that I liked alot on my samsung nu8000.I watched jeepers creepers 2 and black panther on the samsung nu8000 and was blown away.I watched again out the box and it didn't look good at all.After finding 1 setting it looks awesome and I am keeping that for netflix for sure.I am still disappointed overall with the tv for the price so far.However I couId not deal with the ticking/clicking noise from the nu8000 and it sound like it is on the samsung Q6F as well.
I'm in the exact same boat! I've found the upscale ability for cable TV lackluster thus so far and I've had the set for about 2 months. I've tried almost every setting that is out there as well and still haven't been impressed. Curious as to what settings you are using for cable TV?

I mainly use the TV for cable (sports mostly), Netflix & Apple TV but haven't been able to get the best settings for cable yet. Overall the TV is extremely nice, just wish I could get the cable TV settings dialed in to get the best image possible.
post #3322 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormicide View Post
How is the 900F for Hdr10 and Dolby Vision content? I’m thinking of moving up from a 65” LG B6 to a 75” 900F.

You're going to gain size but lose black levels and viewing angles. Android TV isn't as good as Web OS.

HDR10 and Dolby Vision are incredible on the set though. Watched Dunkirk and it was amazing.

I would save the B6 for another room if you are able.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #3323 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Local dimming green white balance shift

So I discovered that when local dimming is engaged on my calibrated X900F, the highlights curve heavy on green, with dramatic drops in red and blue. I decided to make a short video clip to show what I am seeing, which is visible in normal viewing conditions as a sky that turns slightly more cyan/green, and faces that turn a bit sickly looking in skin tone. First clip is raw from the camera, which was white balanced (push to set fixed 5500k) off of the TV screen. The second is the same clip, just with saturation boosted in Final Cut Pro so you can see the green push more dramatically.

I am looking into creating an Expert 2 white balance calibration set specifically for local dimming use, which I would expect to carry over to HDR content better, as you really need to have local dimming active for HDR content or the screen gets washed out.

Buckeye Dave likes this.

Last edited by Anderegg; 10-01-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #3324 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently this green local dimming issue was also present in the X930E.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html
post #3325 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Black Panther doesn't look good?....clearly your settings are amiss. Mine looks killer with BP
This you have to tweak this set and PS the rtings settings .....nope ...only thing I agree with is Expert 1 for color.

Couple other tips ...I run Gamma at +1 and Black level typically at 45.
Color saturation less is more....to your taste. Local Dimming on Medium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180529_211427_resized.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	2462688  
post #3326 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got my XBR 900F 75" set hooked up and running. Been busy with moving chores, so I haven't done any tuning or calibration. Just straight out of the box it looks awesome! Ryder Cup, NCAA football, NFL, local channels, 60 minutes- all looked great. Feed is via latest Comcast HD box. Happy with my Sony 900F!!
post #3327 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7brand View Post
Black Panther doesn't look good?....clearly your settings are amiss. Mine looks killer with BP
This you have to tweak this set and PS the rtings settings .....nope ...only thing I agree with is Expert 1 for color.

Couple other tips ...I run Gamma at +1 and Black level typically at 45.
Color saturation less is more....to your taste. Local Dimming on Medium
Dang ... that does look killer. No grayish tint at all. Can you post your exact settings?

post #3328 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Custom calibration settings with local dimming

So I went back into HCFR and recalibrated my Custom profile Expert 2 10 point white adjustments...I did this for two changes, to work better with apps, and to work better with local dimming. The APPS actually have different white balance and gamma compared to HDMI sources. If you use the exact settings on a Chromecast plugged into the HDMI port, then on the built in APPS Chromecast, the results will be different.

OK, so strangely, I found with Custom, if I calibrate for local dimming off, then switch it on, I get the ugly green shift. When I recalibrate with local dimming on, then switch it off, there is no white balance shift. Weird, but suffice it to say you should calibrate with local dimming on on these Sony's if you want to be able to switch without color tint shift issues. Gamma also needs to be adjusted when turning on local dimming, as your base gamma will go down, from 2.2 to 2.0-2.0 depending on the input source. Also, while increasing contrast to MAX on HDMI will cause highlights to blow out, the APPS calibrations want that all the time and are happy to not blow out...in fact, if you use contrast at 90 on them, you'll have dull highlight that never peak.

These new LOCAL DIMMING CUSTOM 10 POINT settings were done using HCFR on the APPS Chromecast, so they are optimized for the built in apps and work equally well for HDR, or SDR with or without local dimming. Expect about a 0.30dE white balance either way. You can also use these settings on HDMI sources, but the colors get a bit less even, resulting in around a 0.40-0.45dE depending on if you activate local dimming.

Old Custom Expert 10 points for no local dimming

Brightness 4
Contrast 90
Gamma 0
PT1 -3 -10 -17
PT2 3 -5 -14
PT3 1 -7 -11
PT4 4 -4 -10
PT5 1 -6 -9
PT6 3 -5 -9
PT7 4 -5 -6
PT8 2 -4 -10
PT9 9 -1 -2
PT 10-3 -8 -17

NEW Custom Expert 10 points FOR LOCAL DIMMING ON, or off

Brightness 3 (4 with LD off) (5 with LD on HDMI)
Contrast 100 (90 on HDMI)
Gamma -2 (Gamma 0 LD off)
PT1 -3 -10 -16
PT2 3 -5 -13
PT3 1 -7 -11
PT4 4 -4 -10
PT5 1 -6 -9
PT6 3 -5 -9
PT7 4 -5 -6
PT8 3 -4 -9
PT9 8 -1 -5
PT 10 -2 -10 -11

If you are already using your own 10 point calibrations, you can alter the variation amounts from the differences in the above sets to compensate for the local dimming color and gamma shifts. The new updated Custom Expert settings eliminate the green highlight shift, along with the strange off color faces and skies.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
So I discovered that when local dimming is engaged on my calibrated X900F, the highlights curve heavy on green, with dramatic drops in red and blue. I decided to make a short video clip to show what I am seeing, which is visible in normal viewing conditions as a sky that turns slightly more cyan/green, and faces that turn a bit sickly looking in skin tone. First clip is raw from the camera, which was white balanced (push to set fixed 5500k) off of the TV screen. The second is the same clip, just with saturation boosted in Final Cut Pro so you can see the green push more dramatically.

I am looking into creating an Expert 2 white balance calibration set specifically for local dimming use, which I would expect to carry over to HDR content better, as you really need to have local dimming active for HDR content or the screen gets washed out.

https://youtu.be/AiifdbteRoE

https://youtu.be/UKjkDRDfOS4
post #3329 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
I could not imagine 85".This 55 is the biggest tv I have owned.The box alone would be crazy to see lol.

I fully agree with you on the OLED.That is my main issue with the nu8000 and this TV.Never felt that when I had my older LCD tho

This is a common refrain from new owners moving to the Sony 900F - - especially with cable & satellite 720p/1080i content. Their older LCD TV's look better to them. And without a doubt, the off axis viewing is not good. No if, ands or buts about that.

You won't find an OLED set in the large sizes - 75"/85" that are price comparable. And quite frankly - - the OLED threads are filled with banding and tint issues. But if blacker than black rules your world - - then a smaller OLED is your choice. I've never understood the obsession with blacks as my Sony 900F gets a very black picture with exceptional shadow detail as well as a very bright, vivid picture.

A couple suggestions:

1. Let your Sony TV do ALL the upscaling. This means if you have cable - - do NOT let cable "upscale" anything, period. I have my Comcast cable set to output at 720p. Broadcast TV and even cable/satellite are mostly 720p or 1080i. 1080i does give the best picture but it's a choice of having 720p upscaled to 1080p by your cable box or having 1080i down converted to 720p and then to the Sony upscaling engine. If you have satellite - - make sure you have "Native" output. If there is an AVR in between, do not let the AVR do any upscaling either.

2. Experiment with the settings. I personally like "Standard" while others swear by "Cinema Home." You'll see calibrated settings in this thread and you can try those, as well. I find the RTINGS settings god awful. Horrible, washed out colors.

3. Hopefully, you have a good return policy. Maybe this TV isn't for you! Give it awhile and if you're not satisfied, then move on to another set.

4. I was a Samsung buyer in the past (Samsung 65" UNES8000) and it had terrible banding. The number one "killer" IMHO for any TV. I do not think you can beat the Sony 900F and it's upscaling engine capabilities. But it will take time to get the settings that work best for you.

5. OTA or "Over The Air" antenna content is "lights out." At least on my set. Very vivid colors with great saturation and a crisp, pristine picture. Netflix content is exceptional - - even 1080p looks stunning. Dolby Vision can be dark, at times, but the ability to get a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with DV is a real treat - - especially if you the overhead speaker setup.

6. Again, give it some time, experiment with the settings and keep adjusting to you get the best picture that works for you.
Botika, Buckeye Dave and srkmish like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #3330 of 9983 Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Has anyone tried a comparison between the upscaling to 4K from the Panasonic DP-UB820 player and having the X900F do the upscaling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page