2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4430Likes

post #3331 of 9975 Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexan88 View Post
I'm in the exact same boat! I've found the upscale ability for cable TV lackluster thus so far and I've had the set for about 2 months. I've tried almost every setting that is out there as well and still haven't been impressed. Curious as to what settings you are using for cable TV?

I mainly use the TV for cable (sports mostly), Netflix & Apple TV but haven't been able to get the best settings for cable yet. Overall the TV is extremely nice, just wish I could get the cable TV settings dialed in to get the best image possible.
I fully agree

I have been using this for netflix on standard and cinepro settings and I like it alot.I adjusted a few things here and there and watched thor last night with no issues at all.I also use that setting on cinepro for tv as well with some tweaks.

The upscaling on this tv with cable is the difficult part and I had no issues on my samsung nu8000 with it.I think their setting options are a bit more straight forward as well as the whole tv.But yes tv image is rather harsh so far.The screens seem so different between the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
This is a common refrain from new owners moving to the Sony 900F - - especially with cable & satellite 720p/1080i content. Their older LCD TV's look better to them. And without a doubt, the off axis viewing is not good. No if, ands or buts about that.

You won't find an OLED set in the large sizes - 75"/85" that are price comparable. And quite frankly - - the OLED threads are filled with banding and tint issues. But if blacker than black rules your world - - then a smaller OLED is your choice. I've never understood the obsession with blacks as my Sony 900F gets a very black picture with exceptional shadow detail as well as a very bright, vivid picture.

A couple suggestions:

1. Let your Sony TV do ALL the upscaling. This means if you have cable - - do NOT let cable "upscale" anything, period. I have my Comcast cable set to output at 720p. Broadcast TV and even cable/satellite are mostly 720p or 1080i. 1080i does give the best picture but it's a choice of having 720p upscaled to 1080p by your cable box or having 1080i down converted to 720p and then to the Sony upscaling engine. If you have satellite - - make sure you have "Native" output. If there is an AVR in between, do not let the AVR do any upscaling either.

2. Experiment with the settings. I personally like "Standard" while others swear by "Cinema Home." You'll see calibrated settings in this thread and you can try those, as well. I find the RTINGS settings god awful. Horrible, washed out colors.

3. Hopefully, you have a good return policy. Maybe this TV isn't for you! Give it awhile and if you're not satisfied, then move on to another set.

4. I was a Samsung buyer in the past (Samsung 65" UNES8000) and it had terrible banding. The number one "killer" IMHO for any TV. I do not think you can beat the Sony 900F and it's upscaling engine capabilities. But it will take time to get the settings that work best for you.

5. OTA or "Over The Air" antenna content is "lights out." At least on my set. Very vivid colors with great saturation and a crisp, pristine picture. Netflix content is exceptional - - even 1080p looks stunning. Dolby Vision can be dark, at times, but the ability to get a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with DV is a real treat - - especially if you the overhead speaker setup.

6. Again, give it some time, experiment with the settings and keep adjusting to you get the best picture that works for you.
Hi there and thx for tips.Yea so far its been disappointing and I have been wanting to buy the samsung again to test both here at same time lol.

I have around 22 days left with sony. Things are improving but the samsung was def more vibrant and dynamic imo and easier to use/adjust.I truly hate this OS,remote and the lag this tv has.When things are right it is a beautiful set and image.Black panther looked beautiful and I think my xbox one looks better on the sony. However most of my viewing is dish network tv and espn and sports.Just want the image a bit cleaner and beter upscaled.

Also does hmdi port 2 adn 4 really look better with the enhanced option?
So far I can only hear sound when using hmdi port 1 and not 2.Supposedly hmdi 2 and 4 have the enhanced options so I would like to use those to see a difference but I don't get any sound.

But yes sony not in the clear yet and worse case I go back to the nu8000.However the that clicking/ticking noise will haunt me if it came back.That was my only issue with the tv.The bad part is I can see how much potential and power this tv has but cant get it all the way to work for me yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well I have had my 75 900F for about 2 months now and still perfect. 4K, HDR & DV are outstanding. I will agree with most that the satellite/cable does not look good right away. It took me almost a month of testing every setting, turning this on & turning this off before I finally got a pretty decent picture. I use standard with DTV with most everything turned off (except dimming & motion), especially the dynamics, boy they really make the defects of satellite pop. I use cinema pro for all 4K HDR & standard for streaming non 4K material and cinema pro for streaming 4K. All in all, I have no regrets whats so ever about my purchase.

75X900F,
Yamaha 683
Oppo 203
One X
post #3333 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is the X900F as good as the LG B7 / C7 for gaming ? I can only use a 55 Zoll for gaming...

Now i have the X900F but i have a chance to get / buy a 55C7 for 999...

On this TV will be watched football and play with the PS4 PRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Man View Post
Well I have had my 75 900F for about 2 months now and still perfect. 4K, HDR & DV are outstanding. I will agree with most that the satellite/cable does not look good right away. It took me almost a month of testing every setting, turning this on & turning this off before I finally got a pretty decent picture. I use standard with DTV with most everything turned off (except dimming & motion), especially the dynamics, boy they really make the defects of satellite pop. I use cinema pro for all 4K HDR & standard for streaming non 4K material and cinema pro for streaming 4K. All in all, I have no regrets whats so ever about my purchase.
Going to try that as well
Yes it the fact that it really brings out all the imperfections on cable tv lol.I agree on the settings for 4k content.

Im leaning towards buying q6FN and doing a test between the 2 this weekend.I just feel bad taking tv back or returning items in general.However my first tv had a defect so it was what it was.All in all for what we paying we should be happy and able to return no issues.
post #3335 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6763 Post(s)
Liked: 6766
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormicide View Post
How is the 900F for Hdr10 and Dolby Vision content? I’m thinking of moving up from a 65” LG B6 to a 75” 900F.
Taking a picture quality hit but gaining 35% more screen......

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
This TV is on my wishlist but I'm also able to the the Sammy 82" NU8000. TV is in the basement and I sit 9.5' away and I watch MOSTLY TV shows (a ton of sports) along with some Netflix. Do I go for the amazing PQ of the Sony or the size?
I vote NU8000 in this case only.......
post #3336 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryoregon View Post

EDIT UPDATE: according to a YouTube video I found "Programming the TV Button on Your Sony Remote" (I can't post links yet) - the "TV" button can't be programmed to a specific input on the X900F.

I did find a work-around. A couple of factory resets revealed that the TV button will default to "channels" (coax input) if you do a digital scan (looking for over-the-air broadcasts). If you don't do a scan, the TV button works like I expected & preferred.
This is one of my two biggest disappointments with this TV. The 900e had a same TV button, and also still can use a remote with FOOTBALL button to toggle between the Sports picture mode and any other.

Can you clarify what you mean by "the TV button works like I expected & preferred."?

Do you mean that after a factory reset there will be a submenu to customize the TV button in the external inputs menu?

I do not relish the prospect of having to write down and repeat all my configuration, and It will suck to lose the tuner as a backup if cable goes out. However, my fat thumb fairly often hits the TV button by accident when trying for up or left. So, the old functionality would frequently improve my experience.
post #3337 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand90 View Post
Has anyone found information on the number of LD zones in them yet?

It is somewhere back in the first 30 pages or so of this thread.
post #3338 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquick View Post
This is one of my two biggest disappointments with this TV. The 900e had a same TV button, and also still can use a remote with FOOTBALL button to toggle between the Sports picture mode and any other.

Can you clarify what you mean by "the TV button works like I expected & preferred."?

Do you mean that after a factory reset there will be a submenu to customize the TV button in the external inputs menu?

Still can't customize the TV button. However, if I get deep into menus on main cable input (HDMI1) and can't figure out how to back out, the TV button always takes me completely back out. Or, if I'm on another HDMI input, the TV button always brings up (on the bottom of the screen) a choice of inputs with HDMI 1 highlighted. But I'm no longer taken to the coax input (channels).
post #3339 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, just bought the 55" version a couple of days ago. I'm stuck on one minor issue. When you press the "TV" button on the remote, what determines which input it defaults to? For the first couple of days, it went to HDMI 1, which is Comcast cable, where I would want the TV button to go. For unknown reasons, it's now going to "channels" input (the coax cable screw-on input), where there's nothing attached. Sony's website has instructions for accessing the "Customize TV Key" option, however, the kicker is the following:

"Note: 2018 Android TV™ (F-Series) models don't have the Customize TV Key option."

Am I overlooking something simple?

=========================
EDIT UPDATE: according to a YouTube video I found "Programming the TV Button on Your Sony Remote" (I can't post links yet) - the "TV" button can't be programmed to a specific input on the X900F.

I did find a work-around. A couple of factory resets revealed that the TV button will default to "channels" (coax input) if you do a digital scan (looking for over-the-air broadcasts). If you don't do a scan, the TV button works like I expected & preferred.
Quote:
Still can't customize the TV button. However, if I get deep into menus on main cable input (HDMI1) and can't figure out how to back out, the TV button always takes me completely back out. Or, if I'm on another HDMI input, the TV button always brings up (on the bottom of the screen) a choice of inputs with HDMI 1 highlighted. But I'm no longer taken to the coax input (channels).
Thank you for clarifying that. Unfortunately, that is what I see, even after configuring the tuner.

It appears inconsistent. From deep in some configuration the TV button takes me out without switching to the tuner. But, hitting it from shallow menus (if that makes sense) like action>picture adjustment goes to the tuner. When already on the tuner input or deep in the menu, it brings up the TV menu.

Because I have turned the Sony Shelf, Samba, and all notification the could provide recommendations, this TV menu is identical to what happens when I hit the Discover button. So, it appears that there is no big difference in behavior whether or not the channels search was performed.

I don't need two centrally located keys to do the same function, and I don't want the TV key to ever switch to the tuner. To me this change is a regression with no offsetting benefit.

Thanks for responding quickly. I was so filled with hope that I almost performed a factory rest. Alas, that would not have helped.

Edit:

I just realized that I do not use the remote intended for this TV.

I use one from the my old 850C, which I prefer.

The new remote moves the location of some keys surrounding the central navigation buttons and replaced the old Discover button with "APPS".

So, discover and TV on my remote have identical behavior when already on the TV tuner. And TV takes me to the tuner only when I hit it by accident, or when muscle memory cause me to hit it thinking it will take me to HDMI 1, argggg.

I use older Sony remotes on this TV primarily because my 2015 and 2006 remote controls have lovely transport control buttons which pass through via ARC-CEC to my apple tv or sony blu ray player. The transport buttons on the 2018 remote are tiny and intermixed with buttons which I never use like Pic off, help, Audio, subtitle. I do use subtitles occasionally, but this one is not passed by CEC so doesn't work in any context where I might want to use it.

The new remote also has a number of buttons for things I will never use on the Sony: Netflix, Apps, Google play, and the mic button for google assistant are worse than useless for me. Useless because I never will use those functions on this device, and worse because they can be hit by accident and always take me somewhere I do not wish to be. Oh, well.

Sorry for the rant. the X900f has nice display and and I am enjoying both HDR10 and DV content. But it is a big step backward from both the 850C and 900E in terms of basic functionality and navigation. Motion handling, Dolby Vision, and better uniformity are worth the downsides to me. But things like the screwing up the TV button, and inferior size and placement of some buttons seem like unfortunate and unnecessary changes.

Last edited by jquick; 10-02-2018 at 11:15 AM.
post #3340 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkari+ View Post
-=x=-

X900F LEDs:
55" - 135 & 45 zone (The actual number "ZONE COUNT" is indicated on stickers and markings LED driver board).
65" - 180 & 60 zone.
75" inch more LEDs used (+100) compared 55"/65", four lamps at each zone (75X900E 60 zone 240 LEDs).
Comparative analogy 75X900F 70-75 zone 280-300 LEDs.
Tcon LMY550FF04A Samsung.
X1 Extreme is so-processor real name CXD4757GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand90 View Post
Has anyone found information on the number of LD zones in them yet?

Assuming that is correct above, but it matches up to what I have read elsewhere.
post #3341 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So i'm thinking about picking up a Sony 900f.... I've been though a lot of tvs thus far... Q7fn = Huge amount of clouding / Q8FN = Gray Line under screen / Vizio P quantum #1 = Stuck Pixel / Vizio P Quantum # 2 = Vertical banding that I could see in anything not dark. How is the sony as far as QC? I hear the sony has issues with dark corners? I want to use it mostly for gaming, though I'm concerned about not having enough full speed inputs. I have a ps4 pro, xbox one x, fire tv cube, and a switch.... Any advice would be appreciated.
post #3342 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Would someone explain how to get this many columns of menus? Is it cumulative based on previously visited menus?

Thanks.

The demo is an "E" but all I get on my Z9D and 900F is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E menu.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2462944   Click image for larger version

Name:	900f menu.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2462946  
post #3343 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Would someone explain how to get this many columns of menus? Is it cumulative based on previously visited menus?

Thanks.

The demo is an "E" but all I get on my Z9D and 900F is:
You are pressing Action Menu on the remote. It gives you access to certain quick settings. To access the full menu, press Home, then scroll to the bottom of the screen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3344 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
You are pressing Action Menu on the remote. It gives you access to certain quick settings. To access the full menu, press Home, then scroll to the bottom of the screen.[...]
No, those are both images of the Action Menu. However, the image with the extra menus is taken from this YouTube video that explains how to control an STB with the TV (eg. using an IR blaster):

Those extra menus are used for sending commands to the STB so I guess they only show up if you've actually set your TV up to do that.

(Edit: Yep, I just tried it -- the extra stuff in Action Menu showed up when I configured the TV to control a cable box using the IR blaster.)

Last edited by spear; 10-02-2018 at 07:51 PM.
post #3345 of 9975 Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
For everybody's Info. I contacted Sony about assigning the TV Button to HDMI 1,2,3, and so on. It not presently in the software but will be added later. (No Kidding).

Ah, thanks for checking into that. Look forward to that change.
post #3346 of 9975 Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Can anyone properly explain what the functions of True Cinema and CineMotion are, and what the F they are meant to do?

I thought, after some reading, that True Cinema was a form of 3:2 pull down removal, where the TV would seek the 24p pulldown flag, and correctly push the frames onto the 120Hz panel to remove judder.

I also thought that CineMotion was simply deinterlacing. Every time I google 3:2 pulldown removal, it seems to always say that pulldown removal and deinterlacing are the same thing. So basically, I am confused. ABC and FOX in the USA are not interlaced, so how is pull down removal handled if it is always an interlaced procedure?

My X900F receives a 59.94p PC signal, so the CineMotion function actually makes my TV playback stutter and go all weird...I don't know what the True Cinema setting is doing.

Paul
post #3347 of 9975 Old 10-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys:

Is anyone using a soundbar with their 900F? I'm in a condo, so a dedicated surround sound is out of the question.

Looking at the Sony HTX9000F 2.1 soundbar.

Thanks.
post #3348 of 9975 Old 10-03-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysony View Post
Hi guys:

Is anyone using a soundbar with their 900F? I'm in a condo, so a dedicated surround sound is out of the question.

Thanks.
I bought the 9000F along with the 65" and it's a good match, especially for a smaller space. I have the unit in an upstairs den that's 15' x 12' x 9'. Sub delivers good bass and the Vertical Surround feature is pretty impressive. Some adjustments need to be set in the soundbar's menu, not directly from the remote, but once set, you'll probably not go to it often.

Lot of volume available, even when really cranked, it's only about half way to maximum.

Another option is the Klipsch RSB-14, but that's $699.
post #3349 of 9975 Old 10-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I bought the 9000F along with the 65" and it's a good match, especially for a smaller space. I have the unit in an upstairs den that's 15' x 12' x 9'. Sub delivers good bass and the Vertical Surround feature is pretty impressive. Some adjustments need to be set in the soundbar's menu, not directly from the remote, but once set, you'll probably not go to it often.

Lot of volume available, even when really cranked, it's only about half way to maximum.

Another option is the Klipsch RSB-14, but that's $699.
Thanks. The 9000F is $799 here in Canada which is making wonder if it's worth it or not.
post #3350 of 9975 Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I had a question regarding color banding on this TV? How is it with the Xbox one x hdr gaming and with low quality streams? Does it exist? Is the TV able to clean it up? Here's an example of it that I'm seeing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3351 of 9975 Old 10-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Hi guys:

Thanks.
I bought the HTZ9F and was extremely disappointed with the lack of full midtones and boomy bass vibrations. Add to that the sub would work inconsistently, kept disconnecting, and sometimes the whole bar would just go DOA and have to be unplugged, and I went the passive soundbar route.

I ended up with a used Definitive Mythos SSA-42 passive soundbar with Sony STR-DH590 Dolby Vision AV receiver, along with a pumping Polk PSW505 12" sub. Came in under $1000 and the sound comparison leaves the Sony bar in the dust, night and day difference. You can get the bar as an SSA-50 which is longer, the SSA-42 fits the 49" X900F, and you can always put a smaller 8-10" sub on the system. I use this system in a small bedroom, and it's amazeballs.

Paul
post #3352 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmoox View Post
I had a question regarding color banding on this TV? How is it with the Xbox one x hdr gaming and with low quality streams? Does it exist? Is the TV able to clean it up? Here's an example of it that I'm seeing.

Not sure what television set or content you have a picture of, but I haven't personally had any banding issues on the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro. I have no color banding on Destiny 2 or Odyssey without any additional processing save one or two instances that I think I may have seen it briefly. If you tell me what you are posting a picture of, I may be able to try to the same for you.

Some of it will be down to the coding in the game itself. If there is any, the gradient smoothing is very good on this TV, but that will introduce extra post processing and could, perhaps, lead to a bit more lag.
post #3353 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Can anyone properly explain what the functions of True Cinema and CineMotion are, and what the F they are meant to do?

I thought, after some reading, that True Cinema was a form of 3:2 pull down removal, where the TV would seek the 24p pulldown flag, and correctly push the frames onto the 120Hz panel to remove judder.

I also thought that CineMotion was simply deinterlacing. Every time I google 3:2 pulldown removal, it seems to always say that pulldown removal and deinterlacing are the same thing. So basically, I am confused. ABC and FOX in the USA are not interlaced, so how is pull down removal handled if it is always an interlaced procedure?

My X900F receives a 59.94p PC signal, so the CineMotion function actually makes my TV playback stutter and go all weird...I don't know what the True Cinema setting is doing.

Paul
Funny I was just reading the rtings settings before I stopped in the thread as I get my 900f tomorrow. They mention the settings in the review.

Quote:
If you are watching a movie via 60p/60i (cable and also via the internal app like NetFlix) and notice some judder, simply set 'Motionflow' to 'True Cinema' and 'CineMotion' to 'High' to have a judder-free experience. This doesn't add any soap opera effect. You can read more about the judder control here.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...omparison_1789
If you click the "here" link it goes into some more detail.
post #3354 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi guys:

Thanks.

I have the Samsung Sound+ 3 channel with built-in subwoofer HW-MS650/ZA and have been very satisfied with this one. Certainly not as much bass as a separate subwoofer but more than adequate for me. Currently on sale at Best Buy. AVS Forum "Top Choice" award 2017....

https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-sou...undbar-review/

Last edited by CAmm805; 10-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.
post #3355 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Hi guys:

Thanks.

Bought the low-end HTCT290 with our 55" X900F. All we wanted was something better than the down-firing built-in speakers. For that purpose it works well, and works flawlessly with HDMI ARC and the sync function. Not much bass, but works for our small living room.

Last edited by terryoregon; 10-04-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #3356 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Not sure what television set or content you have a picture of, but I haven't personally had any banding issues on the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro. I have no color banding on Destiny 2 or Odyssey without any additional processing save one or two instances that I think I may have seen it briefly. If you tell me what you are posting a picture of, I may be able to try to the same for you.

Some of it will be down to the coding in the game itself. If there is any, the gradient smoothing is very good on this TV, but that will introduce extra post processing and could, perhaps, lead to a bit more lag.
The previous picture was from Planet Earth 2 streaming over plex. On the Xbox one x I notice it on the Xbox dashboard with grey gradients and in Sea of Thieves when I look at the sky when the sun's setting. Here is an image I got with Plex app on the Xbox one x when loading a movie. I guess I was just curious if the TV makes the gradents look smooth. I understand that there could be gradient issues in streamed content because of the bitrate. This below image is coming from the Plex program itself.

post #3357 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 594
A sub in a condo is generally frowned upon. Sounds great for you, but your neighbors will not be pleased. My suggestion is to try looking for soundbars that have wireless surround speakers. You may not be able to blast the bass, but at least you can get surround sound effects. The Sony Z9F has surround options, but there are other soundbars that have them included. The other good thing about the Sony is it supports Atmos and DTS-X. This is pretty rare and you will find many soundbars support one or the other. And just to keep it on-topic, depending on what model you get, the feet on the 900F were designed to allow a soundbar to fit between them, if you're using the feet anyway.

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com

Last edited by x43x; 10-04-2018 at 11:06 AM.
post #3358 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmoox View Post
The previous picture was from Planet Earth 2 streaming over plex. On the Xbox one x I notice it on the Xbox dashboard with grey gradients and in Sea of Thieves when I look at the sky when the sun's setting. Here is an image I got with Plex app on the Xbox one x when loading a movie. I guess I was just curious if the TV makes the gradents look smooth. I understand that there could be gradient issues in streamed content because of the bitrate. This below image is coming from the Plex program itself.

I don't use Plex, but I do have an Xbox. Think my son has it right now. I will get it moved down and try to get a picture for you of that. As I stated before, I run the Xbox and PS4 and I don't remember any issues with banding on the home screens or games (and that usually is noticeable to me quickly along with DSE and motion).
post #3359 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 32
How are you folks getting around only have 2 full speed HDMI ports on this tv.... I have a xbox one x, ps4 pro, fire tv 4k and a switch.... from how the tv is built am I only going to have 2 ports thus 2 devices that I can get HDR and/or DV out of?

How is the vertical banding....?

Does it pass dolby vision or is dolby vision only available though native apps?
post #3360 of 9975 Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keabrown79 View Post
How are you folks getting around only have 2 full speed HDMI ports on this tv.... I have a xbox one x, ps4 pro, fire tv 4k and a switch.... from how the tv is built am I only going to have 2 ports thus 2 devices that I can get HDR and/or DV out of?

How is the vertical banding....?

Does it pass dolby vision or is dolby vision only available though native apps?

All 4 ports pass HDR and DV at 30FPS 4:2:2, only ports 3 & 4 pass HDR and DV at 50/60FPS 4:4:4 so your fire TV and switch should be just fine using port 1&4.

External devices must support the low-latency DV profile necessary to work with 900f and other Sony DV TVs. ATV, Sony x700, Oppo 203 and a few other devices support the necessary DV profile.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page