2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4864Likes

post #3751 of 11663 Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicviewelite View Post
Great it fixed the problem, no more Netflix crashes

Also, do you know if it is possible to set the default HDMI port where the TV should start at all the time? I have Dish receiver on HDMI 2 and IPTV media box on HDMI 3.
Every time I turn on the TV, it automatically goes to input port where it was shut down last time, even if that input device is turned off.

Also, one weird thing I noticed. TV turns on by itself if it senses the HDMI cable is connected and have the signal coming.
(1) Disconnected the HDMI cable coming from the receiver to TV.
(2) Turned off the TV from remote
(3) While TV is turned off (standby mode) if you connect the HDMI cable back to the TV, it will turn on by itself!
Is that normal?

When I got the TV yesterday, during the setup process I connected it to wireless internet successfully, after a few steps it was on 'checking for update' screen for 30 minutes, I know it takes time to download and install updates but I felt something is wrong when checking for update was going on for that long, so I connected the LAN cable from my router to TV and it immediately checked the update and installed the updated software. I feel WiFi on this TV is very very slow to the point, impossible to get data.

Thank you!
It sounds like your IPTV media box is using CEC to turn the TV on. HDMI Port 3is the ARC/CEC port, usually used for your soundbar or AVR. Try plugging the IPTV media box into Port 1 or turn off ARC/CEC on your TV.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 11663 Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So I changed the port and moved media box to port 1, and still it does wake up the tv as soon as I put the HDMI cable in TV!
But that happening only with that media box, could be some signal it is sending to start the tv, itrrespective of port. Did tried the same with hopper and no it don’t turn on tv automatically.

By the way wouldn’t I be losing some quality of this tv by using port 1 or 4, like upscaling? 2 and 3 have different type of port than 1 and 4, and I picked 2,3 because of addition features they have, no idea what additional features though
The media box only have HD streaming by the way and I put it in 3 because thought it will upgrade pictures quality to 4K.

How your TV displays HD contents, if I rate HD content display on this tv from Netflix app from hopper 3, 10 out of 10, then HD content quality of HD channels from hopper 3 receiver is like 2 out of 10. It is major difference.
First I thought I have to play with settings and adjust all levels, but HD content of Netflix don’t need me to set anything on tv, it is so clear and perfect face color no blurring. But on the same setting dish network hopper HD content looks very low quality.

I am also trying to get the infamous soap opera effect from motion setting, but no success. Is this tv so good that no soap opera effect, or it is not powerful enough to show that effect?
post #3753 of 11663 Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about getting this TV and have a couple of questions.

1) I have a nvidia shield tv with kodi that I stream all of my hd movies to from my synology nas. If I plug a soundbar (looking at the Samsung n950) into the tv arc port 3 and plug my nvidia shield into one of the hdmi ports on the soundbar, will I be able to get the full hdr?

2) Are you able to use older consoles that have composite cables like the sega dreamcast into this tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 11663 Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone tried Prime Video (TV APP) Jack Ryan 4k Dolby Vision show on yet? I am getting full 4k vision and 5.1 dolby digital plus on Netflix but when it comes to Prime Video all their 4k shows are only giving me 2.1 PCM where it shows it has 5.1. Everything else on Prime Video (HD content) is playing in dolby digital plus 5.1.

What could be the cause?
post #3755 of 11663 Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I watched the Netflix movie Bright today and man it looked Amazing even considering its a dark movie for 70% of the film.I had no issues what so ever and the picture quality was Beautiful even sitting less than 4 feet away...It used DV which I usually think is not the greatest but today it was the best picture quality I have seen so far.I usually use standard rtings settings with a tweak for netflix and cinepro rting settings with tweak for cable tv.I agree putting brightness at 15 for basic tv.
post #3756 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameer111 View Post
I'm thinking about getting this TV and have a couple of questions.

1) I have a nvidia shield tv with kodi that I stream all of my hd movies to from my synology nas. If I plug a soundbar (looking at the Samsung n950) into the tv arc port 3 and plug my nvidia shield into one of the hdmi ports on the soundbar, will I be able to get the full hdr?

2) Are you able to use older consoles that have composite cables like the sega dreamcast into this tv?
It looks like that sound bar has full 4K60 HDR passthrough capabilities so that setup should work just fine. If it doesn’t I believe you can set the shield up for 24hz output or put it on HDMI2 or even use an HDMI switcher if needed. That being said, the TV has yet to fail direct playback of any of my files over my network directly from a PC share using its native video app should you ever need to go that route.

As for older consoles the TV needs minimum 480i input or it won’t display video. There is a separate 3.5mm analog to composite adapter that allows you to connect older equipment but as I said the equipment needs to output 480i or better. If the Dreamcast does then it should work. I’ve been using an n64 (it mostly outputs 240p I believe and the TV can’t detect the signal directly) on my 900F using a dirt cheap $10 composite to HDMI converter/upscaler I found on eBay. It’s not high end but it does work and I find the picture to look good for it being n64. It does it’s job and it’s tiny and cheap. So it is possible to run old equipment to it using something like that if needed.
post #3757 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Right now I’m tweaking and dialing in a 55” TCL R617 I just grabbed for my bedroom. I watched a bit of Monday Night Football on it and sampled a few other things. Comparing it to the 900F on my directv feed I am quite impressed. It also looks great with Dolby Vision from Netflix.

All around impressive set. Haven’t seen any banding or DSE yet either so perhaps I got lucky. The panel appears flawless so far. Looking forward to actually finish dialing it in and watching a lot on it to compare to my 900F.

Initial impressions are good though. It produces a great picture, upscales good and has nice fluid motion so far. I’m watching it mostly laying in bed with it mounted up high on the wall angled down towards me at around 7.5-8ft away.
post #3758 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Do this series TVs have RCA on the back?
post #3759 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Do this series TVs have RCA on the back?
No, you have to buy a 3.5mm analog to female composite adapter to use regular RCA equipment. For whatever reason it doesn’t come with it. They’re like $6-10.
post #3760 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
It looks like that sound bar has full 4K60 HDR passthrough capabilities so that setup should work just fine. If it doesn’t I believe you can set the shield up for 24hz output or put it on HDMI2 or even use an HDMI switcher if needed. That being said, the TV has yet to fail direct playback of any of my files over my network directly from a PC share using its native video app should you ever need to go that route.

As for older consoles the TV needs minimum 480i input or it won’t display video. There is a separate 3.5mm analog to composite adapter that allows you to connect older equipment but as I said the equipment needs to output 480i or better. If the Dreamcast does then it should work. I’ve been using an n64 (it mostly outputs 240p I believe and the TV can’t detect the signal directly) on my 900F using a dirt cheap $10 composite to HDMI converter/upscaler I found on eBay. It’s not high end but it does work and I find the picture to look good for it being n64. It does it’s job and it’s tiny and cheap. So it is possible to run old equipment to it using something like that if needed.
Ok thanks! That's good to know.
post #3761 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
No, you have to buy a 3.5mm analog to female composite adapter to use regular RCA equipment. For whatever reason it doesn’t come with it. They’re like $6-10.
For $6 to 10 it better be gold plated and install itself.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=666
aaronwt likes this.
post #3762 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Singh View Post
Anyone tried Prime Video (TV APP) Jack Ryan 4k Dolby Vision show on yet? I am getting full 4k vision and 5.1 dolby digital plus on Netflix but when it comes to Prime Video all their 4k shows are only giving me 2.1 PCM where it shows it has 5.1. Everything else on Prime Video (HD content) is playing in dolby digital plus 5.1.

What could be the cause?
Anyone please? :/
post #3763 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
For $6 to 10 it better be gold plated and install itself.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=666
If you’re just looking for L/R channels that’ll work. However monoprice quality has not only went downhill over the past several years but they used to charge excessive shipping amounts, although don’t know if they still do or not.
post #3764 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you’re just looking for L/R channels that’ll work. However monoprice quality has not only went downhill over the past several years but they used to charge excessive shipping amounts, although don’t know if they still do or not.
Shipping costs have improved; quality I can't say I haven't had any issues myself with HDMI or audio cables I have from them. I believe they now have lifetime guarantees on all of their cables? I haven't had to try the warranty myself so no clue if it's any good.

I have adapters like these that are 10+ years old, some close to 20 ... still working fine.

I think more of what has happened is the influx of "pedigree" cables. To me they seem to be overpriced and taking advantage of the consumers ignorance... Almost all of the stuff you see on Amazon for the price range you mentioned are all made in china. Just they have fancy/pretty connectors Granted there are a few made in the USA cables out there...

Personally, I like the cable stress relief on the cheaper ones vs the newer pretty styled ones.
post #3765 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Watching the St. Louis vs Winnipeg nhl game...using your standard picture mode...very nice...minimal blur...good feed from Winnipeg...also watching the Colorado vs Philly game...has some blur...depends on source...good settings tho...standard looks nice for sports and hdr...thanks

Edit: No blur on Winnipeg feed, a little bit of halos around players, nothing serious, looks GREAT, depends on feed for each game...

Edit 2: I’m remembering why I bought the 85” Sony, ZERO dirty screen effect, 100 percent screen uniformity, awesome motion blur control on a good feed...all essential for good hockey!
I find the "Standard" setting works best for my 75" Sony 900F. Especially for my Comcast Cable channels. The Philly-Avs game last night wasn't as clear as the Winnipeg feed. I've seen this on Philly broadcasts last year. For some reason, the transmission isn't as pristine as say any Ranger game with MSG. The NHL channel - which had the Winnipeg game, was outstanding. The Hurricanes/Red Wings feed was also very good.

All in all - - the Sony 900F is fantastic for sports and especially hockey. No banding, like you say, and very bright colors. Philly's ice looks dirtier that other rinks. Maybe it's the remains from past hockey players during the "Broad Street Bullies" days. Incidentally, if anyone wants a real flavor of what Soviet-U.S. tensions were like in the 1970's - "The Cold War," check out this You Tube clip:

It chronicles the infamous 1976 Flyers/Soviet Red Army game. The first five minutes of the contest had more body slams that any WWF wrestling card!
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #3766 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Shipping costs have improved; quality I can't say I haven't had any issues myself with HDMI or audio cables I have from them. I believe they now have lifetime guarantees on all of their cables? I haven't had to try the warranty myself so no clue if it's any good.

I have adapters like these that are 10+ years old, some close to 20 ... still working fine.

I think more of what has happened is the influx of "pedigree" cables. To me they seem to be overpriced and taking advantage of the consumers ignorance... Almost all of the stuff you see on Amazon for the price range you mentioned are all made in china. Just they have fancy/pretty connectors Granted there are a few made in the USA cables out there...

Personally, I like the cable stress relief on the cheaper ones vs the newer pretty styled ones.
I generally purchase Mogami. I definitely don’t believe in magic cables enhancing soundstage or other nonsense, but I am willing to pay for quality construction.
bmcleod likes this.
post #3767 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post
I generally purchase Mogami. I definitely don’t believe in magic cables enhancing soundstage or other nonsense, but I am willing to pay for quality construction.
They definitely make high quality cables with high quality connectors. And they stand behind them. But ya, you pay for it. Most of my live (music) instrument music cables are Mogami; but they also take a beating...
post #3768 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 7269 Post(s)
Liked: 7296
Quote:
I have never had any issues, but I only buy there Premium Certified HDMI cables off Amazon, so shipping is built into the cost....
post #3769 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I find the "Standard" setting works best for my 75" Sony 900F. Especially for my Comcast Cable channels. The Philly-Avs game last night wasn't as clear as the Winnipeg feed. I've seen this on Philly broadcasts last year. For some reason, the transmission isn't as pristine as say any Ranger game with MSG. The NHL channel - which had the Winnipeg game, was outstanding. The Hurricanes/Red Wings feed was also very good.

All in all - - the Sony 900F is fantastic for sports and especially hockey. No banding, like you say, and very bright colors. Philly's ice looks dirtier that other rinks. Maybe it's the remains from past hockey players during the "Broad Street Bullies" days. Incidentally, if anyone wants a real flavor of what Soviet-U.S. tensions were like in the 1970's - "The Cold War," check out this You Tube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AFijbs_yE

It chronicles the infamous 1976 Flyers/Soviet Red Army game. The first five minutes of the contest had more body slams that any WWF wrestling card!
Ohhhhhh those were the days when hockey was hockey!!! Love it and remember it well...for the 1972 summit series I was in grade 4 or so and they gave us the day off school so we could watch the final game!

Nice to see the 900f is capeable of producing good hockey with a good feed! 👍🏽

Video:JVC NX7, 125” 2.35 Stewart ST100 Electric, Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
post #3770 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
That sums up Monoprice exactly. Good Job. They used to give 25% off and then charge excess shipping charges to drive the cost right back up. You never see them offer some % off with free shipping unless its a piece of ?.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #3771 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
That sums up Monoprice exactly. Good Job. They used to give 25% off and then charge excess shipping charges to drive the cost right back up. You never see them offer some % off with free shipping unless its a piece of ?.
I don't think they're awful but seem to be hit or miss on quality depending on what you buy. I have a ton of ethernet cables from them that are years old that work great, but their micro USB cables seem to almost always suck. If I ever intend on getting something from them I wait until I need enough stuff to justify the shipping so its not so bad.
bmcleod likes this.
post #3772 of 11663 Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Is hopper 3 a 4K HDR DV at 60 FPS receiver? Should I connect it to HDMI port 2/3 or port 1/4 ?
I connected IPTV media box to port 1 and picture quality looks better on port 1 than port 2 or 3! Any reason for that?
post #3773 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Is hopper 3 a 4K HDR DV at 60 FPS receiver? Should I connect it to HDMI port 2/3 or port 1/4 ?
I connected IPTV media box to port 1 and picture quality looks better on port 1 than port 2 or 3! Any reason for that?
If you can find any 4K content on Dish it will likely not be 60 FPS and definitely not DV. DirecTV uses HLG for HDR, I expect Dish does too, but most of the time the Hopper 3 will be outputting 1080i SDR. I don’t think you would need to use inputs 2 or 3. I run everything through my processor which displays the resolution, frame rate, HDR format, etc. Using the ‘Info’, and ‘Picture Mode’ buttons on the remote you can learn more about the signal.

No idea about your IPTV box.
sonicviewelite likes this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #3774 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
The Hopper3 does not support DV. Port 1 or 4 work well for your Hopper3 even when viewing the 4K content that is occasionally available.

FYI the football and baseball they have had in 4K this fall looks great on my 900e.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3775 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Having a 65" 900F delivered today. Trying to figure out the firmware issue. Is it safe to update or is there still a problem with the current version?
post #3776 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[QUOTE=chunter1001;57006620]Having a 65" 900F delivered today. Trying to figure out the firmware issue. Is it safe to update or is there still a problem with the current version?[/QUOTE

Sweet. Enjoy it and let us know how it goes. I don't have the 900F yet, so I don't know anything about the update.
post #3777 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I don't think they're awful but seem to be hit or miss on quality depending on what you buy. I have a ton of ethernet cables from them that are years old that work great, but their micro USB cables seem to almost always suck. If I ever intend on getting something from them I wait until I need enough stuff to justify the shipping so its not so bad.
For ethernet, I go with Cat6a cables from Blue Jeans. Their certification process is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.
post #3778 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
It sounds like your IPTV media box is using CEC to turn the TV on. HDMI Port 3is the ARC/CEC port, usually used for your soundbar or AVR. Try plugging the IPTV media box into Port 1 or turn off ARC/CEC on your TV.
How do you turn the ARC off on this TV, I don't see it in the settings.
post #3779 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan254 View Post
How do you turn the ARC off on this TV, I don't see it in the settings.

You want to turn off CEC, which Sony calls Bravia Sync. I think it's in Settings|TV and might be under inputs or HDMI.
post #3780 of 11663 Old 10-24-2018, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
You want to turn off CEC, which Sony calls Bravia Sync. I think it's in Settings|TV and might be under inputs or HDMI.
Thanks for your reply but as far as I know Bravia Sync is different from ARC. Bravia Sync just turns off or on
Sony devices like a blu-ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page