2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4947Likes

post #4381 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdight View Post
I have the same exact issue. HDMI 2 causes a intermittent black screen flashing accompanied by sound crackling, HDMI 3 has no issues. It's like it is having trouble maintaining a stable HDMI signal on Port 2. No clue why -- my Apple TV 4k has no issues on Port 2. Anyway, I am not using ARC so plugging into Port 3 instead of Port 2 isn't a big deal.

Very odd. Anyone else have this?

Was your issue with the PS4 Pro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by panfan7 View Post
About to pull the trigger on the 85 inch ,900F.

Hoping the forum can help me with a few more questions. Do most find the upscaling from cable or direct tv pretty good? I’m going to be watching this type of content 90 percent of time. Is cable or direct tv better input for this TV?
Would I be better off adding an antenna to get my signal for local nbc,cbs, Fox etc? Looking for best possible input I can receive for watching sports. We watch a Ton of sports and I’ve decided to go with the 900 f after heavily considering a Q8.

I was able to get a great price through my employer but have to take delivery through a freight company instead of one of the BB’s. Some concern there but the savings was over 1000. Decided to roll with it but I’m plenty nervous. Hoping it is handled well.
Read a couple posts today regarding added light strings on the back of the TV? Does this bias lighting make a difference and if so do they make it to fit an 85 inch LCD?

And last but not least, best budget sound bar ? Really stretched to pull this off and will need to keep the audio very reasonable.

Thank you
Upscaling is pretty good with the 900F. I did finally cut the cord shortly after getting 75”. I had Dish Network, but the pricing was getting out of hand. Went to Hulu live TV, looks great. Between Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime we get everything we need at a fraction of the Dish bill.

Spoiler!
post #4383 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzioAC View Post
Very odd. Anyone else have this?

Was your issue with the PS4 Pro?

Yes it is a PS4 Pro.

So after playing around, I did notice some intermittent black screens even on HDMI3. I did some googling and apparently it is a PS4 issue with the way it transmits data. What others said works and what worked for me was to go into the PS4 settings and change the resolution to YUV420, instead of leaving it on Auto. That permanently fixed the issue for me. No more problems, over several hours of playing across two days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
Upscaling is pretty good with the 900F. I did finally cut the cord shortly after getting 75”. I had Dish Network, but the pricing was getting out of hand. Went to Hulu live TV, looks great. Between Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime we get everything we need at a fraction of the Dish bill.

I use an AppleTV 4K because it is much crisper and easier to use than the stock Android OS.

My main apps are Netflix, Prime, and Youtube TV, and everything is gorgeous. That said,Youtube TV, at least with the live shows, takes a couple of minutes to buffer the image and during that time it is a little grainy. But after that, it looks crystal clear. The reason I chose Youtube TV over Hulu was primarily the DVR -- Hulu charges an exorbitant fee to use their DVR service, whereas YTTV it is free. It's a tradeoff though, because Hulu Live also gives you the on demand library.
post #4385 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 2862
With Hulu we just have the basic cloud DVR as the on demand library has all our favorite shows so we don’t need to record those. The on demand shows one day after live has no commercials. When we had Dish we only watched recorded shows so we could skip the commercials. Pretty much we only watched sports and news live.

Spoiler!
post #4386 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysony View Post
Yup. I went to the software update and checked for a new update and it said I was up to date. I also went to the Sony site and found the latest update is: PKG6.5629.0177NAA and that's what my TV says I have. My auto update was on by default.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0011586
where do you check the version on the tv? Also my Tv's box it came it has a date stamp of 8/28/18 so it was mere weeks before the new update released. Maybe yours shows a later date? You can find it on the small side of the inside part that flips open when you open the box.
post #4387 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have the 900F looking great with Netflix, blu rays, video games. basically any content got a good picture to start with.

However, I'm noticing the video from dish network hopper is actually pretty blocky. Thing is, same signal going into previous 2014 vizio p series got cleaned up a lot better. I've played with the 900F settings to try and clean it up some, but maybe it just isn't cleaned up as well as 2014 tv was? What's been peoples experience cleaning up kinda crappy signals that have obvious compression degradation?
post #4388 of 12059 Old 11-22-2018, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac View Post
More questions from a soon-to-be owner:

What A/V receivers are you guys using with the 900F that you're happy with, especially regarding handshake issues? I'll need an upgrade as my old Denon doesn't support 4K. Would like to keep the cost in the $500 or under range.

Which specific HDMI cables do you recommend at Monoprice to get the most out of HDR/Dolby Vision/Atmos/DTS:X?

Happy so far with my Onkyo TX-NR787. Got mine for $25 more than what you want to pay. Will support DV and Atmos passthrough and up to 5.2.4 configuration. Plays nicely ARC-wise with my X900F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones x2
post #4389 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post
I have the 900F looking great with Netflix, blu rays, video games. basically any content got a good picture to start with.

However, I'm noticing the video from dish network hopper is actually pretty blocky. Thing is, same signal going into previous 2014 vizio p series got cleaned up a lot better. I've played with the 900F settings to try and clean it up some, but maybe it just isn't cleaned up as well as 2014 tv was? What's been peoples experience cleaning up kinda crappy signals that have obvious compression degradation?
Yup its just not pretty with dish and other tvs do clean it up much better.
post #4390 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

Hoping the forum can help me with a few more questions. Do most find the upscaling from cable or direct tv pretty good? I’m going to be watching this type of content 90 percent of time. Is cable or direct tv better input for this TV?
Would I be better off adding an antenna to get my signal for local nbc,cbs, Fox etc? Looking for best possible input I can receive for watching sports. We watch a Ton of sports and I’ve decided to go with the 900 f after heavily considering a Q8.

I was able to get a great price through my employer but have to take delivery through a freight company instead of one of the BB’s. Some concern there but the savings was over 1000. Decided to roll with it but I’m plenty nervous. Hoping it is handled well.
Read a couple posts today regarding added light strings on the back of the TV? Does this bias lighting make a difference and if so do they make it to fit an 85 inch LCD?

And last but not least, best budget sound bar ? Really stretched to pull this off and will need to keep the audio very reasonable.

Thank you
I use cable TV and my PC for all my viewing. I have the 55" 900f.
I bought the 900f solely for viewing cable TV and knowing that the Sony had/has the extreme processor. IMO the best non OLED TV is the Sony 900f. There are other 4k TV's out there and viewing 4k sources is mostly great with Sony, Samsung Q, Vizio, even TCL.
But IMO the reason i chose Sony 900f was the processor for cable TV. Best decision i ever made.

I don't use a soundbar, i have a Polk/Yamaha HTS, but maybe Vizio/Samsung soundbar, but since you will have 85" you need something longer than 36" to get the full effect IMO.
post #4391 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 02:15 AM

How many active zones does tv have? I can honestly say, as long as room is bright i don't notice the local dimming, but in a dark room especially HDR content, the local dimming is pretty bad, it feels like this tv only has like 16 zones, so coming from a tv that was only 50 inches yet had 64 zones, that feels like a pretty big downgrade. I'll force myself to get used to it since it's kinda too late now. I really wanted to get off my 2014 tv because it lacked full 2.0b HDMI bandwidth, and HDR, but when you go from 64 zones to something less, can't help but notice it. I'll probably be watching less tv in the dark and let a well lit room trick my eyes into not seeing it as badly. but truth of matter is, none of the 2018 tvs were really good on zones. even the vizio p series tvs downgraded number of zones the last 2 or 3 years to cut costs (outside of the quantom). I can see myself replacing tv again in a year or two if someone offers something that makes my eyes happy in the dark. I don't want OLED cause of cost and amount of games I play with static huds that'd risk burn in, but I hope tv industry moves back to better quality local dimming, because every 2017-2018 tv has disappointed me compared to some of the impressive Local dimming included in 2014-2015 lines.
post #4392 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Ive bought tv's in the past and have always had to return and exchange like 4-5 before my picky self was satisfied, even tho those where always budget sets I was picky and still am. So far im very happy with the 900f so far. 0 backlight bleed even when LD is off.

Also Experiencing LD for the first time is nice. I new it would dim the dark areas but I didnt think it could completely dim the dark areas of the screen when fully black like a OLED is some ways. I would of got a LG B8 but 99% of my usage is gaming and static area on screen for literally 8 hours at a time sometimes would of not went well with it.

Anyone know where to see the current firmware version on the tv itself?
post #4393 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:

Thank you
Hi, a have a fibre feed direct to house so I have not investigated antennas...I do find the tv is garbage in garbage out...ie. poor feed poor picture...good feed, absolutely stunning!

Have not investigated sound bars as I have a 5.2.4 speaker setup...

The front 1/2 of my room is 100 percent light absorbing velvet, so I have no need for bias lighting...

Sorry I could not be more help as my tv is in my dedicated theatre room...

Video:JVC NX7, 125” 2.35 Stewart ST100 Electric, Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
post #4394 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just picked up the X900F (XF9005 here in Europe) on Monday. I've been messing around with different settings, such as those provided by Rtings.

One thing I noticed the other day is that the audio seems to be out of sync when the TV is in custom mode. The video delay seems to disappear when I change to game mode, which makes sense because of reduced display lag in that mode. However, I didn't think the difference would be THAT big.

Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution? I have everything hooked up to an Onkyo ht-r494 receiver, which passes the signal (audio + video) to the tv via the HDMI 3 port.
post #4395 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi, a have a fibre feed direct to house so I have not investigated antennas...I do find the tv is garbage in garbage out...ie. poor feed poor picture...good feed, absolutely stunning!

Have not investigated sound bars as I have a 5.2.4 speaker setup...

The front 1/2 of my room is 100 percent light absorbing velvet, so I have no need for bias lighting...

Sorry I could not be more help as my tv is in my dedicated theatre room...
Nice to see another Bell Fibe user. How is your viewing image? I find that sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good (not bad by any means). I think it also has to do with the size of the TV. On my 40" 1080p Sony TV, the TV shows look better than on my 65" 900f.

I upgraded my Netflix to the UHD package and the shows that support it look AMAZING as does the 4k sports broadcasts. I've download a few 4k movies and play them from the plex app, they look amazing as well.
post #4396 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysony View Post
Nice to see another Bell Fibe user. How is your viewing image? I find that sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good (not bad by any means). I think it also has to do with the size of the TV. On my 40" 1080p Sony TV, the TV shows look better than on my 65" 900f.

I upgraded my Netflix to the UHD package and the shows that support it look AMAZING as does the 4k sports broadcasts. I've download a few 4k movies and play them from the plex app, they look amazing as well.
Given my 85” tv is in my dedicated media room, I only watch it for critical viewing ie. HDR movies and hockey games...my casual viewing (news etc) is done upstairs on just a 1080p Sony 60” TV...

I never just casually watch my 85”...as I mentioned tho, garbage in, garbage out...I have not subscribed to any of Bell’s 4K services yet as my frickin Bell monthly bill is already $300 smacks....craaaaaazy...I suspect I will get there once there are more 4K channels...for now 4K HDR movies look awesome...just waiting for BBuy to come and do the calibration in the next couple of weeks...
snoopysony likes this.

Video:JVC NX7, 125” 2.35 Stewart ST100 Electric, Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
post #4397 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Does anyone have photos of the 85" 900f they can post mounted on a wall with other items around? I'm trying to gauge how big it is vs getting a projector for my media room

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The wall is 11' wide for reference

LG OLED65E6P - Sony 85X900F - Marantz SR7013 - Rotel 1075 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panasonic UB820 - Roku Ultra - B&W 704, HTM7, CWM663, RSL C34E, GE SuperSub X - Vincent PHO-700 - VPI Traveler
My Theater
x43x.com
post #4398 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFGC View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just picked up the X900F (XF9005 here in Europe) on Monday. I've been messing around with different settings, such as those provided by Rtings.

One thing I noticed the other day is that the audio seems to be out of sync when the TV is in custom mode. The video delay seems to disappear when I change to game mode, which makes sense because of reduced display lag in that mode. However, I didn't think the difference would be THAT big.

Has anyone else noticed this and found a solution? I have everything hooked up to an Onkyo ht-r494 receiver, which passes the signal (audio + video) to the tv via the HDMI 3 port.
This is fairly normal behavior when you’re dealing with external hardware stuff and a television applies processing. Many players and receivers allow you to adjust delay in 10ms increments.

Try to use the ARC input (hdmi 3) and set things up so you can hear your stuff through both the tv and your home theater speakers. Adjust the delay on the player or receiver (I recommend the receiver) until the sound output matches the tv. Then, you can leave it and enjoy for the rest of time.

Receivers should also allow you to set the delay for each input on them, so make sure you do this for every device connected to your receiver through the receiver’s settings.
merhow89 likes this.
post #4399 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Input Issues

Hey all,

I just had the 900f delivered this morning, but haven't opened it. With Sony screwing us on full bandwidth ports, I'm not I can set this up properly. Looking for some direction. Xbox One S, WiiU, Cable box, Roku Ultra. I'm going to pick up a Onkyo NR676. If I use the 900F, I will have to run all my devices through the receiver, which is great for audio, but then I can only use settings for 1 HDMI port which is bad. What other solutions do I have to get the best audio and video out of my all my devices? Thanks
post #4400 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGuy33 View Post
Hey all,

I just had the 900f delivered this morning, but haven't opened it. With Sony screwing us on full bandwidth ports, I'm not I can set this up properly. Looking for some direction. Xbox One S, WiiU, Cable box, Roku Ultra. I'm going to pick up a Onkyo NR676. If I use the 900F, I will have to run all my devices through the receiver, which is great for audio, but then I can only use settings for 1 HDMI port which is bad. What other solutions do I have to get the best audio and video out of my all my devices? Thanks

What you describe is my end goal. Run everything via the receiver and have only 1 HDMI to the TV, (I need a new receiver first with DV and HDR)
You can set the diff pic modes on the TV.
For example,
"Game" for your WII and XBOX for playing.
"Cinema PRO" for XBOX 4k movies
"Custom" for Roku

Put in the settings for each "scene" based on your pref and change them based on the input you are doing.
Your settings are programmable for each one.
post #4401 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7517 Post(s)
Liked: 7548
Quote:
What about an 85 inch about 12 feet from couch? Is there some value in having a little tilt. I thought vertical angle ,ay have some impact . Thanks
I personally would never use a tilt mount, as you usually will not get enough tilt and the tv does not look good from the side. With a normal tilt mount on a 65" you will hit the wall at the bottom and the top of the TV is like 6" off the wall......
post #4402 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGuy33 View Post
Hey all,

Ports 1/4 support up to 10.2 Gbps and Ports 2/3 support up to 18 Gbps when in enhanced mode. All ports will support 4Kx30fps HDR sources including DV.

Enhanced mode will be required when needing 4Kx60fps or 4K HDR with 4:4:4 color depth.

That said I would recommend the following:
Port 1 Cable Box
Port 2 Roku Ultra
Port 3 ARC/CEC to your Onkyo NR676, plug gaming devices into the Onkyo
Port 4 leave available.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #4403 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Coming from a Vizio PQ I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the comparative huge drop in contrast on my new 65" 900F. I guess this is to be expected given that the Vizio was capable of over 15,000:1 ratio compared to the less than 6000:1 on the Sony. I didn't want to admit it when making the decision to switch, but the huge drop in dimming zones definitely makes a big difference here.

Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking the gamble on a LG C8 in 65". Easily the best looking picture I've seen... in a store. At home I'd be worried I'd lose the panel lottery and end up with great contrast that looks terrible in a dark room with low light scenes due to uniformity and vertical banding issues.
post #4404 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokai View Post
where do you check the version on the tv? Also my Tv's box it came it has a date stamp of 8/28/18 so it was mere weeks before the new update released. Maybe yours shows a later date? You can find it on the small side of the inside part that flips open when you open the box.
I'll check tonight and let you know.

The date on the box is: 09/28/18

To see your version:
1) Click the home button on the remote
2) Scroll all the way to the bottom and move over to help. Select it.
3) Model and version are on the top right of the screen.

Last edited by snoopysony; 11-23-2018 at 01:43 PM.
post #4405 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Naughty View Post
Coming from a Vizio PQ I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the comparative huge drop in contrast on my new 65" 900F. I guess this is to be expected given that the Vizio was capable of over 15,000:1 ratio compared to the less than 6000:1 on the Sony. I didn't want to admit it when making the decision to switch, but the huge drop in dimming zones definitely makes a big difference here.

Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking the gamble on a LG C8 in 65". Easily the best looking picture I've seen... in a store. At home I'd be worried I'd lose the panel lottery and end up with great contrast that looks terrible in a dark room with low light scenes due to uniformity and vertical banding issues.
Honestly, the lack of a lot of local dimming zones is my only real down side of 900f for me. but to be honest, all the tvs except quantum don't have enough dimming zones. even vizio has been down sizing number of zones on recent year P series compared to older P series, with exception of Quantum. However, the Quantum, from what I've read, has host of other issues with HDMI ports and needing lots of logic board replacements to fix them.

my 2014 vizio is still king at local dimming because it was a 50 inch with 64 zones. amazing contrast and 0 flashlighting effect in dark scenes. the 900f, I swear this 55 inch sony must have like 16 zones, tops. I see a very scene with a small candle and it has to light up a large section of screen to illuminate that tiny candle. I notice the flashlight effect pretty bad, especially if not at the PERFECT viewing angle (ie laying in bed). however, outside of dark room dark scenes that mix dark and light elements, it's still much better looking than 2014 tv thanks to full hdmi bandwidth ports and HDR. I just have to toughen up and get used to the inferior local dimming. I feel everyone else is still playing catchup in that area to vizio, which kind of pioneered it first. Hell vizio did it so good when they came out with it that they've downgraded it twice in last 3 years to lower TV production costs
post #4406 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 PM

Hello everyone
I'm using netflix app on the TV

there is a movie on netflix called " the ballad of buster scruggs " ( and it support Dolby Vision )
when i play this movie the resolution is really really bad
BUT !!!
when i play it from my Ps4 pro
its way way better

why ?
can i close my dolby vision ?
because it's really bad on netflix
post #4407 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 03:34 PM

Dolby vision is probably not the reason for the low rez. it's more likely a bandwidth one. it could be that the PS4 is downloading updates or something, but when you play netflix on it, it'll automatically pause those updates. or whatever was sapping bandwidth at time you tried on tv was done by time you tried PS4.

hit the "display" button on sony remote when using built in app and it'll tell you current bandwidth usage and resolution so you'll know if it's a bandwidth issue. Also, give the tv a good 30 seconds to "test" your bandwidth too. Usually netflix app on tv starts at 480/720p by default then ramps up after it can gauge bandwidth. it's sort of how the AUTO works on these tvs.

Remember to turn the display off when done checking it, because otherwise the bright white text will cause flashlighting in dark scenes since the dipslay text basically keeps the local dimming on at all times in that corner.
post #4408 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Dolby vision is probably not the reason for the low rez. it's more likely a bandwidth one. it could be that the PS4 is downloading updates or something, but when you play netflix on it, it'll automatically pause those updates. or whatever was sapping bandwidth at time you tried on tv was done by time you tried PS4.

hit the "display" button on sony remote when using built in app and it'll tell you current bandwidth usage and resolution so you'll know if it's a bandwidth issue. Also, give the tv a good 30 seconds to "test" your bandwidth too. Usually netflix app on tv starts at 480/720p by default then ramps up after it can gauge bandwidth. it's sort of how the AUTO works on these tvs.

Remember to turn the display off when done checking it, because otherwise the bright white text will cause flashlighting in dark scenes since the dipslay text basically keeps the local dimming on at all times in that corner.
I know
i wait until it comes 1080p
even i give it 2 minutes
and still the same

if you have the same TV can you try to play the movie ?
post #4409 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Don't just look at resolution, look at bit rate. 1080p can look crappy if it's a lower bitrate. Usually even each resolution on netflix has a low and high bitrate. With status up you can even see this as well. It might have both 1080p at 2Meg and 4 Meg and as it's ramping up with AUTO internet speed connection, it may still be choosing lower bit rate if it thinks your network is congested or slow.

Also the age of contet plays a part. Some 1080p content really doesn't look good if it's still a show or movie shot with cameras 15 years ago and compressed with inferior image preservation technologies when encoded on netflix. I've seen a marvel show with modern cameras and compression look better at 3Mbit encoding than a really old show like crossing jordan encoded at 7Meg encoding with much older technology. Both on netflix, both 1080p but night and day difference in quality. It's possible the movie does just look bad and the PS4 app is better at upscaling it than the sony's native app is.
post #4410 of 12059 Old 11-23-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Don't just look at resolution, look at bit rate. 1080p can look crappy if it's a lower bitrate. Usually even each resolution on netflix has a low and high bitrate. With status up you can even see this as well. It might have both 1080p at 2Meg and 4 Meg and as it's ramping up with AUTO internet speed connection, it may still be choosing lower bit rate if it thinks your network is congested or slow.

Also the age of contet plays a part. Some 1080p content really doesn't look good if it's still a show or movie shot with cameras 15 years ago and compressed with inferior image preservation technologies when encoded on netflix. I've seen a marvel show with modern cameras and compression look better at 3Mbit encoding than a really old show like crossing jordan encoded at 7Meg encoding with much older technology. Both on netflix, both 1080p but night and day difference in quality. It's possible the movie does just look bad and the PS4 app is better at upscaling it than the sony's native app is.
My friend have KD-55X8500D and the movie looks super clean.
my problem is always with movies that support Dolby Vision.

is there a solution for my problem ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page