2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4516Likes

post #4591 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Im jealous of Sony X900F owners. Slumming it in Vizio and TCL land.

A couple of things I really like about the X900F over these other cheaper sets.

Superior Anti-Reflective Filter
Smooth Gradiation Picture Control
Superior Standard Defintiion Upscaling and Video Processing
I bought the 900f mainly because of the extreme processor specifically because of the upscaling. I was going to consider purchasing the Sammy Q8 (i used to have a Samsung HDTV i bought 10 years ago), but i wanted a 4k TV that could make a difference as far as my primary viewing which is Cable and PC.
After seeing and viewing both TV's, as well as Vizio, Sony 900f became the chosen one. I have chosen wisely.
G-Rex, EscapeVelocity and MikeTV69 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Hey guys. Just got my 65" 900F in today. Amazing picture right out of the box. Can't wait to calibrate it.

QUESTION: I wasn't expecting the TV to lean back the way it does. I understand the reasoning. But I have my TV sitting on an IKEA Besta TV unit which I expect is higher then what Sony accounted for when designing this TV. For those who have used the feet and were dealing with the exact situation, what solutions did you come up with to straighten the TV up?
I have the 55" and mine doesn't lean back or at least I don't notice it. The cutsheet someone posted shows all models lean but honestly on my 55" I don't notice any lean.

Last edited by xenokai; 11-29-2018 at 06:47 AM.
post #4593 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
Fun question, what should be my first 4K HDR movie I watch on my TV Saturday that will showcase it best? I read Interstellar or even Avengers Infiniti War are good.
If your goal is to witness some of the best usage of HDR on the format, Pacific Rim is where it’s at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes. Just to plug to HDMI2 or 3 and try Jack Ryan movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Does anyone know if the Amazon Fire Stick 4K (newest version) is Dolby Vision compatible with the X900F? I just bought one and it only plays HDR10, even when Netflix or Amazon show the show as DV.

Paul
post #4595 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasek99 View Post
does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the screen on this TV?

i tried to get a fingerprint off with a microfiber cloth and a little bit of distilled water and it left big smudge marks that i can't seem to get off--i dont want to press to hard on the panel. does anyone else have this problem? i can't see the smudges while the TV is on, but it's clearly visable with the TV off and especially if i shine light on the spot where they are.
One cheap thing to try before buying anything would be to drop a cap full of isopropynol (rubbing alcohol) into a glass of water and use a microfiber cloth. I just did this on 3 of mine and it seemed to do the trick. I have the Monster cable cleaner from Best Buy, and it didn't work. It is possible it is just too old. I've had it a really long time.

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
post #4596 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
From Sony's site...

https://www.sony-mea.com/en/electron...icles/00166676

TV leans back a little on the Table-Top Stand.

Your BRAVIA TV is designed to be slanted slightly backward in consideration of setting on a low board.

NOTES:

If the TV is set at a low position, your eyes will lower a bit when you sit on a sofa. According to ergonomics, your eyes while sitting are 15 degrees lower than when you are in a usual relaxed state. You will be able to enjoy watching TV programs more comfortably by turning the TV screen a little upward.
If the TV is unstable, the screws that secure the stand to the TV might not be firmly tightened. By tightening all the screws again, the TV will be stable on the TV stand.
post #4597 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 AM

DirecTV NOW

So received the TV yesterday and didn't have much time for anything other than turn it on , run through the set up and check for defects. I did a quick search for the Directv Now app, and it wasn't found. I admit I have not had time to look into it much further. Has anyone actually been able to get the DirecTV NOW app loaded on the X900F itself? If I could get away from buying another apple TV 4K it would be great.

I'm currently running it on wifi in a basement where the router is on the main floor. I only had time to try Sling, and without touching any settings I wasn't blown away by the picture yet which is not the norm for me with Sony TV's. I'll reserve judgement until my ethernet switch for the basement comes in today so I can set it up wired. If that don't work, I guess I'm off to buy my 8th Apple TV 4K
Thanks

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
post #4598 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone comment on the two free 4K movie offer via Google Play? Do the selections change over time? Right now the selection does not include much of interest that I haven't already watched or own.

Also, what a gorgeous TV. I just upgraded to the 55" from a 48" Bravia that's about 7 years old.
post #4599 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Actually that graphic from Sony makes perfect sense. Back in 2005 when I bought my first big screen (55” Sony lcd projection) I had to build my own stand. Big screens weren’t very popular back then so there were many/any to choose from. Also, I wanted my tv at a low height where my eyes would be looking at a slight downward angle with my head in a normal neutral viewing angle. The slight backwards angle should make the the screen perpendicular to my viewing angle.
post #4600 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayhem View Post
Can anyone comment on the two free 4K movie offer via Google Play? Do the selections change over time? Right now the selection does not include much of interest that I haven't already watched or own.

Also, what a gorgeous TV. I just upgraded to the 55" from a 48" Bravia that's about 7 years old.
Ha! I went from a 48" Bravia as well, only to the 65". I wasn't prepared for how big it would be. lol

The movie offer is good until 2022 I believe so they'll surely have new movies in that time. I didn't even browse the list as I was worried that would activate it and force me to pick whats available now.
post #4601 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hope you guys are enjoying your 900F as much as I am! Almost went with the Q8 but so glad I stuck with the 900F. I watch a lot of cable content as well as streaming movies and I gotta say the pq blows me away. The upscaling of cable content is phenomenal and motion is silky smooth.

Anyway..am I the only one who prefers Sony’s internal apps opposed to streaming devices? I’ve heard about how slow and laggy Android is and how terrible the experience is but I’m not seeing any of that. I find it to be very snappy and easy to use. I actually bought and returned Apple TV 4K because I found it easier and more convenient to use Sony’s built in apps. Also, I don’t know if my eyes are playing tricks but I went back and forth with the same movie from Amazon Prime from the internal app and Apple TV 4K app and I could swear that the movie looked better using the internal app.

Another thing is..YouTube has a lot of 4K content and it looks amazing. Apple doesn’t support YouTube in 4K which is a bummer.

I just wanted to see who else uses the internal apps to stream and what you guys thought. I also save myself $ by using Sony smart tv.
post #4602 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

It has changed multiple times in the last three months. There have been some constants (like Spiderman: Homecoming), but others come and go. I've been watching for something I actually want myself.
MikeMayhem likes this.
post #4603 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post
Hope you guys are enjoying your 900F as much as I am! Almost went with the Q8 but so glad I stuck with the 900F. I watch a lot of cable content as well as streaming movies and I gotta say the pq blows me away. The upscaling of cable content is phenomenal and motion is silky smooth.

Anyway..am I the only one who prefers Sony’s internal apps opposed to streaming devices? I’ve heard about how slow and laggy Android is and how terrible the experience is but I’m not seeing any of that. I find it to be very snappy and easy to use. I actually bought and returned Apple TV 4K because I found it easier and more convenient to use Sony’s built in apps. Also, I don’t know if my eyes are playing tricks but I went back and forth with the same movie from Amazon Prime from the internal app and Apple TV 4K app and I could swear that the movie looked better using the internal app.

Another thing is..YouTube has a lot of 4K content and it looks amazing. Apple doesn’t support YouTube in 4K which is a bummer.

I just wanted to see who else uses the internal apps to stream and what you guys thought. I also save myself $ by using Sony smart tv.

I have been using the native apps for 4K HDR viewing and the picture and sound quality have been amazing. I still use my Fire TV Box (2nd Generation) for standard HD viewing (HBO, ESPN, Hulu).
Bklynblaze likes this.
post #4604 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dousmith111 View Post
Noticed not all cables work, try one with small connector,not direct like https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here's the one I got. It's an extension cable that was recommended in the manual.

BTW what do you mean by, "try one with small connector,not direct like"?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #4605 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Actually that graphic from Sony makes perfect sense. Back in 2005 when I bought my first big screen (55” Sony lcd projection) I had to build my own stand. Big screens weren’t very popular back then so there were many/any to choose from. Also, I wanted my tv at a low height where my eyes would be looking at a slight downward angle with my head in a normal neutral viewing angle. The slight backwards angle should make the the screen perpendicular to my viewing angle.
Which all makes sense, in theory. But if the static legs does not account for tv stands at different heights... Ikea Besta TV stands are popular, but too high for the TV to be angled like this. If you consider how far away from the TV you might be, that would only compound the problem. They should have made the tilt be adjustable somehow.

What I've decided is to purchase new legs/stand. Locking in on these ones here...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

There were cheaper ones available that was suited for 65". But I didn't want legs that would hold a TV upto the size I have. Would rather have ones capable of holding a TV bigger then mine. Height is adjustable. Over 1200 reviews with a 4.5 out of 5 star rating (70% of which are 5 star). it should do the trick.
post #4606 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:01 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Greetings fellow Enthusiasts,

Took me 4 days to read ALL the posts in this thread from first page to last. Wish to extend a gracious thanks to the general Community for posting all this incredible information and observations. Made the plunge and am having a 85x9000F delivered today. Will be going from a XBR75X940D to this. Very excited about gaining the 10" extra inches in screen size. While the 940D was no slouch, the larger size and Dolby Vision is what drove my decision. I sit back about 8-9 feet.

This place "AVS" is an incredibly valuable resource. In the past you had to search and find "Reviews" that were mostly paid for endorsements. Making it difficult to know exactly what you were getting. But AVS and threads like this have solved that.

Once I get the new set installed and dialed in, I will try to post some initial impressions and comparisons to the Old 75940D set.

Many thanks to our AVS community for freely sharing all this valuable information about this Sony Model. You Guys and Gals Rock!
Ricoflashback likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #4607 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Greetings fellow Enthusiasts,

Took me 4 days to read ALL the posts in this thread from first page to last. Wish to extend a gracious thanks to the general Community for posting all this incredible information and observations. Made the plunge and am having a 85x9000F delivered today. Will be going from a XBR75X940D to this. Very excited about gaining the 10" extra inches in screen size. While the 940D was no slouch, the larger size and Dolby Vision is what drove my decision. I sit back about 8-9 feet.

This place "AVS" is an incredibly valuable resource. In the past you had to search and find "Reviews" that were mostly paid for endorsements. Making it difficult to know exactly what you were getting. But AVS and threads like this have solved that.

Once I get the new set installed and dialed in, I will try to post some initial impressions and comparisons to the Old 75940D set.

Many thanks to our AVS community for freely sharing all this valuable information about this Sony Model. You Guys and Gals Rock!
Wow you’ve done your research. Lol 👍

Congrats and good luck. Once you dial in your picture settings I think you’re going to be happily pleased.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #4608 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So any thoughts on some of the picture settings that are out there on the internet? I’ve looked at CNET, Rtngs, Sound & Vision and Consumer Reports. There are many similar settings between them but there are some significant differences as well. The most important being whether to go with the Cinema Pro or Custom overall setting. Just
Wondering if any one set is preferred over the others.
post #4609 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2174 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChinn View Post
So received the TV yesterday and didn't have much time for anything other than turn it on , run through the set up and check for defects. I did a quick search for the Directv Now app, and it wasn't found. I admit I have not had time to look into it much further. Has anyone actually been able to get the DirecTV NOW app loaded on the X900F itself? If I could get away from buying another apple TV 4K it would be great.

I'm currently running it on wifi in a basement where the router is on the main floor. I only had time to try Sling, and without touching any settings I wasn't blown away by the picture yet which is not the norm for me with Sony TV's. I'll reserve judgement until my ethernet switch for the basement comes in today so I can set it up wired. If that don't work, I guess I'm off to buy my 8th Apple TV 4K
Thanks

You'll have to sideload DTVN. Check apkmirror for the file.
post #4610 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Ha! I went from a 48" Bravia as well, only to the 65". I wasn't prepared for how big it would be. lol

The movie offer is good until 2022 I believe so they'll surely have new movies in that time. I didn't even browse the list as I was worried that would activate it and force me to pick whats available now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
It has changed multiple times in the last three months. There have been some constants (like Spiderman: Homecoming), but others come and go. I've been watching for something I actually want myself.
The Google Play deal has to be used by Dec 31, 2020. Is there a link somewhere to view the choices? My 900F is being shipped, and I don't have access to the store via the TV to view the promo yet
https://www.sony.com/electronics/goo...11-M01-SEEFINE
post #4611 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have been using the native apps for 4K HDR viewing and the picture and sound quality have been amazing. I still use my Fire TV Box (2nd Generation) for standard HD viewing (HBO, ESPN, Hulu).
I didn't think the Sony x900f could do hdr with their YouTube native app? Is hdr now supported with native YouTube?

Sounds like alot of happy people with the x900f, I was hoping for the Vizio pq65-f1 but seems to be a fair amount of issues with them, I might return my Samsung nu800d, splurge and get this x900f
post #4612 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Can you watch YouTube TV (not regular YouTube videos) as an internal app? I know you have to pay for a subscription. I've got an older Amazon Firestick (not 4k) which does not support YouTube TV because Amazon has a turf war going on with Google. (Yes there are ways to hack it but seems like WAAAYYY too much work.) I'm considering getting a different streaming box but being able to stream YouTube TV without an extra box is just one more reason to justify getting a 75X900F! I think with YouTube TV I could ditch cable.
post #4613 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
Can you watch YouTube TV (not regular YouTube videos) as an internal app? I know you have to pay for a subscription. I've got an older Amazon Firestick (not 4k) which does not support YouTube TV because Amazon has a turf war going on with Google. (Yes there are ways to hack it but seems like WAAAYYY too much work.) I'm considering getting a different streaming box but being able to stream YouTube TV without an extra box is just one more reason to justify getting a 75X900F! I think with YouTube TV I could ditch cable.
Yes. You can get any app that is available for Android TV
post #4614 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
I didn't think the Sony x900f could do hdr with their YouTube native app? Is hdr now supported with native YouTube?

Sounds like alot of happy people with the x900f, I was hoping for the Vizio pq65-f1 but seems to be a fair amount of issues with them, I might return my Samsung nu800d, splurge and get this x900f
According to Rtngs, Youtube HDR is not supported on the native app
post #4615 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You'll have to sideload DTVN. Check apkmirror for the file.
OK... Thank you. I'm an Apple guy, and not familiar with Android system / terms. What is apkmirror, and how do I check it? On the tv itself? Is it an app I use to look for DirectvNow? Thanks for the help.

post #4616 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChinn View Post
OK... Thank you. I'm an Apple guy, and not familiar with Android system / terms. What is apkmirror, and how do I check it? On the tv itself? Is it an app I use to look for DirectvNow? Thanks for the help.
You'll have to educate yourself on Android TV, unless you want to just stick to what's available on the TV. Here is a good resource to start:

https://www.teamandroid.com/2018/08/...ps-android-tv/

APK Mirror is a site to find the app that you're looking for (similar to the Google Play store). Which is similar to the App Store on Apple OS.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 11-29-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #4617 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Glad you like the tv
post #4618 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You'll have to educate yourself on Android TV, unless you want to just stick to what's available on the TV. Here is a good resource to start:

https://www.teamandroid.com/2018/08/...ps-android-tv/

APK Mirror is a site to find the app that you're looking for (similar to the Google Play store).
Awesome. I will read through that. Should be able to get Direct Now on the TV after that.

post #4619 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
So any thoughts on some of the picture settings that are out there on the internet? I’ve looked at CNET, Rtngs, Sound & Vision and Consumer Reports. There are many similar settings between them but there are some significant differences as well. The most important being whether to go with the Cinema Pro or Custom overall setting. Just
Wondering if any one set is preferred over the others.
Here are mine,

Have had positive feedback. YMMV
dark room in basement,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 75x900F.pdf (57.3 KB, 178 views)
MikeTV69 likes this.
post #4620 of 10365 Old 11-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any owners out there that have the Xbox One X and Directv and can comment on your results when running Directv signal through Xbox One X vs. going direct to the TV? I do not have the 4K add-on, just the standard HD box. Curious about whether people with a similar configuration are happy with letting the One X do the upscaling or if they are getting better results letting the Sony do it?

Thanks!

Last edited by xinunix; 11-29-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page