2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4447Likes

post #4771 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I think maybe this observation is just normal and expected despite the way it looks..

I decided, as an example, with Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X, to turn off hdr on the x900f.. in the home area.. settings.. turn off advanced hdmi etc.. went back into the game and wow.. colors were off the charts (hdr off).. perhaps not really realistic though..

I switched hdr back to on and tried again and the colors were sucked out.. the setting on the tv was color around 58 or so.. i decided to bump that up to around 70 which might be too high for some, unsure. This actually brought things closer to the non hdr level of colors.

I'm sure i could do a similar test on the ps4 pro perhaps.. but assuming TR has real HDR and not fake like games like RDR, then im guessing this was a valid test.

Also.. i didnt notice this on my old Vizio M70-c3 2015 set.. but older games like Arkham Knight and even GTA5 seem like there is alot of jaggies around edges of buildings and other objects.. i guess its the up-scaling and for some reason maybe the old vizio did it better, unsure?

Curious other experiences here.

Thanks in advance
Shadow of the Tomb Raider has bad HDR, I cover it earlier in thread. Some games do it well, some just don't. Shadow of the Tomb Raider over darkens the entire screen and washes out colors just to pop out one torch or the sun in the scene. It's like the HDR in that game wants to make the light sources super bright but then pretends the light from source magically hits NOTHING ELSE in scene. It can be fully bright and sunny out and with HDR on it looks like you have a heavy overcast because somehow the super bright sun the HDR created, can't seem to get any light to the actual earth . Do not use this game as an HDR test. I found far cry 5 to have great HDR. was first game I popped in that was like "so this is what HDR is supposed to look like when it doesn't suck". Assassins creedy Odyssey is also pretty good , especially inside the volcano (but does have some areas it isn't perfect and it over shadows the area a little). Boy does HDR really make the lava pop at you.

Also, do not turn enhanced HDMI off. you're just gimping hdmi port bandwidth. You still want full bandwidth for 4k 4:4:4 color at 60hz. Just turn HDR off in games that do it terrible. Sadly RDR2 also has terrible HDR.

As for other stuff about non 4k games. that's because the tv isn't upscaling them. the console is sending a 4k signal still to tv, so you are losing out on tvs upscaling. If you are playing a game that doesn't have 4k support, switch console to 1080p mode and send that signal to tv, so the tv's upscaler can actually kick in. If you send a 4k signal to tv, it has nothing to upscale because tv assumes it's already 4k content (even though it's just 1080p content sent to tv at 4k from console WITHOUT upscaling). So he TL/DR of that is. you are seeing exactly what it looks like. a picture that looks bad because it's been blown up and not actually upscaled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post
Yeah to be honest I can't say I love these settings either, but I like them better than some of the things I previously tried. Not an expert in this stuff so I am just kind of shooting in the dark here. So far I am underwhelmed when it comes to directv content streaming through the Xbox One X. All of the settings I have tried so far have left things just a little muddy, can't get a crisp clean picture but maybe my expectations for upscaling are just too high. Tempted to try running the Directv straight to the Sony and see if it does any better with upscaling, then I think I would be able to set that Full Pixel setting everyone is talking about for upscaled content. When the One X is doing the upscaling the signal is already coming out as 4k so that option doesn't seem to be available (would love to be corrected on this if I am wrong). I found when watching NFL and Tennis channel that having Xtended Dynamic Range turned on with these settings that the whites made my eyes bleed a bit as they were almost glowing.

Using these settings with motion set to Custom Smoothness 2, Clearness 1 seemed to handle fast motion in football, tennis, soccer and other sports pretty well. But if there are suggestions for alternative configurations for those settings for sports I would love to hear them, willing to try any suggestions anyone has...

I don't use these settings when I play games, I switch to game mode and have Xtended Dynamic Range set to high for that picture mode.

I may be wrong about this, but I thought that when HDR mode kicked in with the other picture modes you got a different set of settings vs when it was off b/c I thought I turned Xtended Dynamic Range to high for HDR but I will check that again, it may be b/c the HDR content I was watching at the moment was coming from one of the Sony native apps and thus the reason the settings were different.

As of right now, true 4k content and HDR/DV content look amazing on this TV, games on the X in game mode look great, normal channels coming from Directv are just meh. So if anyone out there has suggestions for how to optimize settings especially when passing Directv through the Xbox, I am all ears!
As I said to other person about non 4k games sending signals to tv. Same problem occurs with other content. If the console is putting out a 4k signal, even if it's NOT 4k content, you are NOT getting tv upscaling. hit display button on tv remote, if the signal is 4k, no upscaling. If you want a good picture. Switch console output to 1080p. I don't have an XBox but found all these probelms with 1080p games and video on PS4 Pro very quickly because even in auto mode, the console never actually changes resolution to 1080p, for 1080p content. EVEN if "Auto 24hz" option is enabled in video player options. In fact, a HUGE quirk about the PS4 Pro, if console is in auto or 4k mode, it'll only ever send 4k 60hz signals to tv, period. even when playing a 1080/24 blueray. To get PS4 to send that signal, you HAVE to change it from auto to manual 1080p before starting a video, to get it to send 1080p/24 to tv and get proper beautiful upscaling.

Also, a reply to others in the thread. I'll say this again and again and again. Do not use RDR2 for HDR checking, ever. It's terrible. REALLY REALLY terrible. It's the games fault. not the TVs. Put Far Cry 5 in or another game that didn't do a lazy ass job to "support" HDR. I don't own spiderman so I can't speak so much about that. But I will remind that SDR and HDR have different settings. Make sure they are both calibrated well. As others pointed out. the color on SDR actually looks TOO high to begin with. Game mode default color is actually 55 for SDR. I personally found 50 to look better in most games (although some games also feel better at 55). Anything more then that and things start to feel over saturated with color for me. I use same settings for HDR that I do for SDR and the color looks the same in every game I tried except for Tomb raider and RDR2 which both just have crappy HDR.

Last edited by MysticalOS; 12-02-2018 at 12:47 PM.
post #4773 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any one test this set in dark room with dark scene with subtitle on because im kicking to 85 inch for my home theatre so my use is in extremely dark room for hdr movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR4DOKYBrazil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMar Creel View Post
Received brand new panel yesterday that appeared be flawless when viewing regular tv from the front at a normal distance. However, upon standing directly in front of the panel, I looked downward and noticed some bright spots in 3 locations along the bottom. After looking at it further, I noticed that bright white scenes and various bright colors on the bottom displays some white distorted lines and a blurry look. Can someone explain to me what type of panel issue this is? I'm going to have this panel replaced and want to make sure I use the correct terminology while talking to the retailer or Sony directly.
I'm pretty sure there's an exaggerated pressure on this part of the LCD panel!
Yeah, I was thinking it looks like someone put too much pressure on those parts of the screen when lifting it or putting the feet on. I could be wrong but to me it looks like a handling issue.
BR4DOKYBrazil likes this.
post #4775 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokai View Post
That's weird then because my set has no visible backlight clouding and it looks like FALD is on even when on the android bootup logo. I use a dark room calibration so my brightness setting is set low, maybe thats why It looks so black.
It may be weird but that's the way the Sony FALD has been for a few years now, people bring up this topic from time to time.......
I'd also like to add that I have only noticed this while using the built in apps. If I run Netflix (for example) from an external box, the Netflix loading screen is pitch black and perfectly even.
post #4776 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Stand options

Hey all. I am seriously considering the 65" version of this TV to replace an 8-9 year-old 40" Samsung LCD (LN40B750). Picture quality is still great, but I want something bigger since I moved to a larger place. I really love the picture of the OLEDs, but I use my TV for a PC monitor quite a bit and I also game, so there is too much potential for burn-in there.

My major complaint about this TV are the legs that come with it. They are spaced out too much to fit on my smaller entertainment unit and I really don't want to buy a new one because it houses everything I need. I also don't want to wall-mount because I'm renting and I don't want to damage the walls. I see on Amazon that there are pedestal-type stands that affix to the back of the TV, where you would attach a wall mount. Has anyone had any experience with those? Any other paths I can take? I was almost thinking of just buying a long board to lay across my entertainment center to give it more width, but that might look pretty cheap. Thanks.
post #4777 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan1 View Post
Hey all. I am seriously considering the 65" version of this TV to replace an 8-9 year-old 40" Samsung LCD (LN40B750). Picture quality is still great, but I want something bigger since I moved to a larger place. I really love the picture of the OLEDs, but I use my TV for a PC monitor quite a bit and I also game, so there is too much potential for burn-in there.

My major complaint about this TV are the legs that come with it. They are spaced out too much to fit on my smaller entertainment unit and I really don't want to buy a new one because it houses everything I need. I also don't want to wall-mount because I'm renting and I don't want to damage the walls. I see on Amazon that there are pedestal-type stands that affix to the back of the TV, where you would attach a wall mount. Has anyone had any experience with those? Any other paths I can take? I was almost thinking of just buying a long board to lay across my entertainment center to give it more width, but that might look pretty cheap. Thanks.
swap the feet so that they point inward. would have to be a very small unit for it not to fit with the feet like that.
post #4778 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Do you know which Samsung he had? It was mentioned that the NU8000 is brighter and richer than x900f.

He has the NU8000.
post #4779 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I had a similar problem with ATV with Sony X930E and Sony Z9F soundbar.

Solved the problem by changing all my HDMI cables to the Belkin Dolby Vision ready cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4780 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hate I'm colorblind I cant tune the tv to how I like it since everyone else in the household isnt and I know I cant tell what is what for color.

So only thing I really need to.. well want to.. is help the blacks. So I been trying a lower brightness and have gone down to the low 10s to even min (thankfully it's in a very low light basement). I have notice blooming? From the whites being bright.. probably wouldn't have notice it as much if I didnt start to research tvs before picking up this 65".

All in all I really like the tv. Wish I went for the 75" but maybe in a few years the bigger sets will drop in price and I'll be fine.

I think I need to find out before the return period is how this tv does with not being choppy with movies and I cant remember which moves my last LCD made me unhappy with. Reviews seems great for motion. I dont have sports channel to even try that out.

I'm using cinema home right now with brightness at 1.

Edit: I turned HDR mode off.. dont like how it really dims the screen and in fact I dont even like how any netflix with HDR looks with it on. Just turned it off watching lost in space. Much better.

Denon X4400H Emotiva XPS-7 Balanced minidsp 2X4
Klipsch icon series FLC/surrounds, RSL C34E for .4
2 4cu sealed Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400s FB14000
Xbox one X, Shield 4k, sony 65" X900F, RS540U, 115" 2.35:1 HD Fury Linker

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; 12-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.
post #4781 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I just got an X900F to replace a failing KS8000. So far it seems great, but I’m having a little trouble with game mode. It looks darker, especially red colors, than Cinema Pro or Custom (following rtings settings). For example, when in Game Mode with my PS4 Pro the Netflix logo looks more like a brick red than the normal red if I change to Custom or Cinema Pro.
post #4782 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Had my 65” for a few week now and have pretty much nailed down my basic settings until I get a new meter to do my own calibration (currently have an old macbeth eyeone display where the color filters are pretty much shot). I have been more than impressed with the picture quality, with HDR10 and Dolby Vision both looking fantastic.

The complaints I’m reading here about dim and dull HDR is very surprising to me, I don’t see this at all, in fact it’s almost the opposite with some content (playing NBA2k19 on the Xbox 1X is borderline eye piercing bright). Watching the first ep of Lost in Space in Dolby Vision looks fantastic, the snow scenes were nice and bright but with plenty of detail in the snow itself, the magnesium deposits they go to find were glowing super bright. Dark scenes are never too dim with no black crush that I can see.

Here are my settings I use for pretty much all my sources, hopefully it can help someone struggling to get this panel looking right.
I used AVS709 calibration patterns and a blue filter to test color.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro (Game when using the Xbox)
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Brightness: 11 (gives me 120cd/m on 100% white) Max for HDR and DV
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 48
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Off (High for HDR and DV)
Color: 50 (57 when using game mode on the Xbox)
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Expert 1
Live Color: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motion Flow: User preference although turning on Clearness will dim the picture due to BFI
Video Options: All Auto

Hope this helps anyone. Enjoy

dr_gallup likes this.

Last edited by ocat; 12-02-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #4783 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpSpeed2013 View Post
I just got an X900F to replace a failing KS8000. So far it seems great, but I’m having a little trouble with game mode. It looks darker, especially red colors, than Cinema Pro or Custom (following rtings settings). For example, when in Game Mode with my PS4 Pro the Netflix logo looks more like a brick red than the normal red if I change to Custom or Cinema Pro.

Yeah game mode does something odd with color, it defaults to 55 but I found using a blue filter on the Xbox it needs to be bumped up to 57.
post #4784 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
Had my 65” for a few week now and have pretty much nailed down my basic settings until I get a new meter to do my own calibration (currently have an old macbeth eyeone display where the color filters are pretty much shot). I have been more than impressed with the picture quality, with HDR10 and Dolby Vision both looking fantastic.

The complaints I’m reading here about dim and dull HDR is very surprising to me, I don’t see this at all, in fact it’s almost the opposite with some content (playing NBA2k19 on the Xbox 1X is borderline eye piercing bright). Watching the first ep of Lost in Space in Dolby Vision looks fantastic, the snow scenes were nice and bright but with plenty of detail in the snow itself, the magnesium deposits they go to find were glowing super bright. Dark scenes are never too dim with no black crush that I can see.

Here are my settings I use for pretty much all my sources, hopefully it can help someone struggling to get this panel looking right.
I used AVS709 calibration patterns and a blue filter to test color.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Brightness: 11 (gives me 120cd/m on 100% white) Max for HDR and DV
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 48
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Off (High for HDR and DV)
Color: 50 (57 when using game mode on the Xbox)
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Expert 1
Live Color: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motion Flow: User preference although turning on Clearness will dim the picture due to BFI
Video Options: All Auto

Will post some pics when I get on my laptop Hope this helps anyone. Enjoy
Did you calibrate for a dark room? Do you mostly game in darker lighting?
post #4785 of 10080 Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Did you calibrate for a dark room? Do you mostly game in darker lighting?

No not really, it’s just a general living room environment, I can make it fairly dark if I close all the blinds and doors but definitely not cinema dark. I play at most times, day/night and my settings seems to work well for both
post #4786 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi team,

Quick question! I’ve been noticing a fair amount of image ghosting on my games recently, some worse than others such as battlefield 5 and the Red dead redemption 2.

I’m playing with game mode turned on and pretty much all post processing turned off too. Is there something wrong with the tv or is this normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 🙂

Josh
post #4787 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield193 View Post
Hi team,

Quick question! I’ve been noticing a fair amount of image ghosting on my games recently, some worse than others such as battlefield 5 and the Red dead redemption 2.

I’m playing with game mode turned on and pretty much all post processing turned off too. Is there something wrong with the tv or is this normal?

Thank you 🙂

Josh

Do you have any of the motion settings activated?
post #4788 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Motionflow is completely off but smoothness is greyed out and set to 3. However I can’t seem to change that, I think due to being in game mode?
post #4789 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 02:57 AM

One thing that is bugging the crap out of me is the Apps (Video) input does not switch to HDR settings when a HDR signal is detected. When I cast a YouTube HDR video to the tv, it shows the HDR logo next to the picture mode but the brightness and XDR settings do not change to max as they should. Conversely when I alter the setting to max brightness and XDR then go back to SDR content, the setting still stay on max. It’s soooo annoying!

Does anyone else have this issue or a solution?
post #4790 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokai View Post
That's weird then because my set has no visible backlight clouding and it looks like FALD is on even when on the android bootup logo. I use a dark room calibration so my brightness setting is set low, maybe thats why It looks so black.

I had the 900E and now I have the 900F. The 900E activates the LD in boot screens, menu, Netflix login, etc. I do not know why the 900F disables LD on these screens.
post #4791 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakneck167 View Post
After trying out the 49 inch sony x900f I felt I needed to go to the 55 inch model. I noticed this last night on start up as well as when youtube videos are loading just before playback. I have run test patterns and don't see it anywhere else. Not sure what may be causing this or if this is something that will get worse over time. Im still in the 30 day window for returns at best buy. The issue isn't as noticeable during the day, Im guessing being darker at night it def stands out. Is this something were I should be concerned. Can someone else power down their TV and restart and see if they encounter the same effect.

By the way this forum rocks... I have been absent since my Mitsu 65" diamond days but still lurked around gaining valuable information. I could remember my old user name so im starting back from scratch. Thanks in advance!

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...-flashlighting

For clouding, there's a pretty simple fix that - while not guaranteed - can have good results. Power on the TV and display a black image. This will allow you to see the lighter spots on the screen. Next, take a soft cloth and massage those brighter spots to improve the uniformity. You should only apply very gentle pressure, just barely touching the screen. You can also try a few different stroking patterns. If you are patient enough, this works surprisingly often, especially on edge-lit TVs.
  • All LED TVs have black uniformity problems.
  • The bigger the LED TV, the more likely it is to have uniformity issues.
  • Backlight uniformity issues don't increase over time unless a large amount of stress is put upon the panel (like in the case of a big temperature swing, or if the TV is moved).
  • Sometimes, just letting the TV settle for a few days after unpacking it can solve the issue. This is especially true if the TV is laid on the side during shipping/moving.
post #4792 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 04:23 AM

Guys,
After much searching and each one saying something, I noticed that the Color Depth of Xbox One X in 8 bit generates color banding, in 10 bit SAY they lose color accuracy due to the limitation of HDMI 2.0 and 12 bit there is no panel with support . I swear I do not know which option to leave. I should choose between banding color (8bit) and less color accuracy (10bit).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xbox_One_X/...or_4k_is_8bit/

"In nearly everyone’s posted X1X/S TV settings, 12-bit color depth is being used; however, this is the incorrect selection if your TV supports full 4K 600 MHz signals. When 12-bit color depth is selected in the system settings, it will force all video output to YCC 4:2:0. Likewise, selecting 10-bit color depth will force all output to YCC 4:2:2. You will lose color accuracy for SDR content.The proper setting for a 600 Mhz capable signal chain is to select 8-bit color depth. This will allow true RGB output, as SDR content is intended to be viewed in. 2160p 60Hz RGB 8-bit signals occupy the full 18-Gbps / 600 MHz bandwidth offered by HDMI 2.0 and compatible cables. This is the highest quality SDR output you can obtain with the HDMI 2.0 spec. The system output will still automatically switch to 10-bit YCC 4:2:2 or 12-bit YCC 4:2:0 color depth when HDR content is detected.
I know selecting the lower bit-depth may seem counter-intuitive, but this setting is really only used for the system menus and SDR content. I’ve spent many months evaluating and troubleshooting various 4K devices in attempts to obtain the highest quality video output. I have confirmed the issue with 12-bit forcing YCC 4:2:0 with an HDFury Vertex, and I can’t stress enough that 12-bit is the wrong selection to make with 4K signals on the X1X/S. Your system will enable 10/12 bit YCC modes when applicable HDR content is passed through.
Please keep in mind that not every 4K television and/or monitor utilizes 600 Mhz HDMI 2.0 ports, but if you know yours does, then 8-bit color depth is the correct setting for you.
In summary, use the 8-bit color depth setting for optimal color depth in SDR.
Side note regarding color space: The PC RGB color space option is intended to provide full range RGB 0-255, which you only want enabled if your TV is set to an RGB Full mode (labeling varies by TV manufacturer). In standard color space mode, the system will output RGB 16-235 (RGB Limited), when 8-bit color depth is selected. You will still get RGB Limited output with the standard color space enabled, which is what you typically want for most material."

TV: Sony XBR-55X900F / XBR-55X950G
SoundBar: Sony HT-CT390
Consoles: PlayStation 4 Pro / Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition
post #4793 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR4DOKYBrazil View Post
Guys,
After much searching and each one saying something, I noticed that the Color Depth of Xbox One X in 8 bit generates color banding, in 10 bit SAY they lose color accuracy due to the limitation of HDMI 2.0 and 12 bit there is no panel with support . I swear I do not know which option to leave. I should choose between banding color (8bit) and less color accuracy (10bit).

I’d leave it at 8bit and make sure Allow YCC 4:2:0 is selected in the video options

xinunix likes this.
post #4794 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
I’d leave it at 8bit and make sure Allow YCC 4:2:0 is selected in the video options

https://youtu.be/SHVJYB-Qews

But look this vídeo:

Vincent selects 12bit and at the end of the video appears 10bit. I swear I do not know which option to select!

RTINGS indicates select 12bit.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...ality/gradient
post #4795 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCube74 View Post
I had a similar problem with ATV with Sony X930E and Sony Z9F soundbar.

Solved the problem by changing all my HDMI cables to the Belkin Dolby Vision ready cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why the same cable works fine connected to HDMI2 input on Sony TV and has issues while connected to HDMI3/ARC ?
Both HDMI2 and HDMI3 support enhanced mode and Dolby Vision.
post #4796 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6786 Post(s)
Liked: 6786
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
My old set was a Sharp Aquos 60” LCD with conventional fluorescent backlighting from circa 2011. Has excellent black levels and a very high CRI as opposed to what LED backlit panels had at the time. LEDs were just coming out and were very cold looking at probably around 5500 Kelvin.

I wanted to move up to the Sony 900f to gain a little more screen area ( with the 2” bezel on my Sharp 60”, the Sony 65” is only one inch wider) , have the 4K upscaling for 1080i and 1080p content and all the current versions of HDR. I also added a Sony 4K Blu-ray player as movie night is a big thing in our house along with Bruins and Patriots games. The excellent reviews on motion control was also a factor.
Those where good but the 900F is better for sure. Something is going on if you do not feel your 900F is not better overall. People seem to get confused about upscaling. These TV's do not have upscalers that are $5000 plus, as we know. No TV, no chip set in a TV is going to make anything look like it was filmed in 4K. If its not 4K it will just be translated to 4K as that is all your TV can display, sure in some cases it will make some content a tad better but don't expect the world from the scaler, any TV scaler.....
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #4797 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield193 View Post
Hi team,

Thank you 🙂

Josh
Those games both make use of temporal effects for much of the final image, which means it's looking at information from previous frames as reference to reconstruct parts of the current frame (things like anti-aliasing, reflections, shadows/ambient occlusion, etc.), which can result in ghosting artifacts. This is almost surely what you are seeing!
post #4798 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
My old set was a Sharp Aquos 60” LCD with conventional fluorescent backlighting from circa 2011. Has excellent black levels and a very high CRI as opposed to what LED backlit panels had at the time. LEDs were just coming out and were very cold looking at probably around 5500 Kelvin.

I wanted to move up to the Sony 900f to gain a little more screen area ( with the 2” bezel on my Sharp 60”, the Sony 65” is only one inch wider) , have the 4K upscaling for 1080i and 1080p content and all the current versions of HDR. I also added a Sony 4K Blu-ray player as movie night is a big thing in our house along with Bruins and Patriots games. The excellent reviews on motion control was also a factor.
Those where good but the 900F is better for sure. Something is going on if you do not feel your 900F is not better overall. People seem to get confused about upscaling. These TV's do not have upscalers that are $5000 plus, as we know. No TV, no chip set in a TV is going to make anything look like it was filmed in 4K. If its not 4K it will just be translated to 4K as that is all your TV can display, sure in some cases it will make some content a tad better but don't expect the world from the scaler, any TV scaler.....
Ok thanks for that feedback. At least now I have an idea of what to expect. Is it better to let my cable box upscale to 1080p before sending video to the tv or should I set it to a lower resolution and let the tv do it ? Or is it simply a matter of doing whatever looks better on the tv? I also have the option of upscaling to 4K as the video passes through my AV receiver. Same question on that.
post #4799 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hey everyone,

I'm really enjoying the X900F so far. It is a big step up from the Q6FN I returned. Have a question about the screen finish. I notice the tv has what looks like vertical streaks across the screen (almost looks like oil stains). It is only noticeable when sunlight is reflecting off the screen. I assume it could be the anti-reflection coating. Is this normal for this tv? I thought I would ask since I haven't noticed it on the previous tvs I've tried.
post #4800 of 10080 Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Ok thanks for that feedback. At least now I have an idea of what to expect. Is it better to let my cable box upscale to 1080p before sending video to the tv or should I set it to a lower resolution and let the tv do it ? Or is it simply a matter of doing whatever looks better on the tv? I also have the option of upscaling to 4K as the video passes through my AV receiver. Same question on that.
Hi homerhd,
Your new tv has the best upscaling capability so let the tv do the work. I believe most of us set cable box to native or 720p so the tv does the upscaling and also I believe you should turn off the upscaling on receiver.

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page