2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4864Likes

post #4861 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I'm officially joining the X900F owner club. Received my 65" yesterday from Best Buy after buying it on black Friday. I'm coming off a 46" and my seating distance is about 9 feet so the difference is massive. Yeah, some of you would probably say I should have gone with a 75", but I'm going through baby steps here. It's still almost a 20" upgrade from my previous TV so it's still a massive improvement.

For those who cares, I'm using a Yamaha RX-a780 receiver (upgraded 2 weeks ago from a RX-a820 since this one was not supported full badwidth for 4K and HDR). Connecting to the TV using HDMI3.

I'm still playing around with the settings. Started with RTINGS settings and made some adjustment. First one was to switch away from expert 1 to just warm colour. I thought expert 1 was just too yellowish while warm seems like a good place for me. Bump the colours to 55. Here are some impressions:

- Screen: So far, I've run some DSE YouTube video and have not noticed any. I'm also not seeing clouding but I do have local dimming on. I do notice that the corners are a little darker but it's only noticeable on a full white screen so I'm not really worried about this. No dead pixel noticed either so I think I got a good panel but I'll keep monitoring.

- Cable TV content is hit and miss. For sure, the fact that I'm moving from a 46" to 65" and form HD to 4K will expose a lot more the fault in the signal. You can clearly see some channel or shows being better than others. As others have recommended, I've locked my STB box to 1080i and use Full pixel mapping and the results are better. Still playing around with brightness, motion flow settings and colours. Watched some hockey last night and this is where I could see the biggest impact of the lower resolution broadcast. It was clearly some 720p content.

- 4k content: so I went, changed the settings on my apple TV 4k to have proper 4k content and enable HDR (didn't enough dolby vision yet) and started some movies I own on itunes that are 4K HDR. So far, the picture seems excellent. Need to spend more time but so far it looks promising.

- Blooming: OK let's talk about the elephant in the room. Yep, it's there. It's even there in full-screen content although it's noticeable if you know what to look for. I use bias lighting (have a Philips hue led strip in the back of the TV) so the blooming in the black bar is for sure far less noticeable. At some point, this TV is so bright that light content on dark surround will always create a "hallow" effect, something even noticeable on OLED, so it's hard at time if what I'm seeing in full-screen content is actually blooming or just standard hallowing. More tests need to be done but watching the First Martian last night in HDR, I wasn't much distracted by the black bar blooming unless I was looking for it.

- HDR Gaming: OK this one is hit-or-miss but mostly depending on content. As many have said, Read dead redemption 2 is just so disappointing. Then I started Battlefield V and was playing on a daylight map and OMG it was gorgeous (playing with PS4 pro). Then I went back to try NHL 19 and it looked amazing. Then powered on Horizon zero dawn and it was during the night at a camp and the picture was just amazing. Then I tried Fallout 76 and, well even 4K and HDR can't save this horrible engine so I won't go much into detail. But so far HDR gaming looks amazing. I was worried with black in HDR as my initial attempts had all my black looked grey but I'm not sure if it's a combination of some settings or just the TV warming up but at the end, Black levels were great. input lag wise, I can see a small improvement with this TV with 4k content (24ms) VS my previous TV, an XBR46X850 that has input lag at around 33ms. So I'm pleased on that side. Really appreciate the bigger size TV here since in most game, I was sometimes struggling to find opponents and aim because others players were so small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Yeah, I don’t know how anyone can say that the blooming is minimal and/or not noticeable. Blooming is just a part of this television. But blooming is a part of the LCD LED makeup. I would rather deal with blooming than terrible screen uniformity or black crush, so Im perfectly happy with the 900F. But anyone who would ask me today what television to buy would need to qualify how they feel about this artifact before I’d give them an answer. If you super hate blooming, the 900F isn’t for you. If you are more concerned about overall picture accuracy and having great HDR, then buy with confidence.
Dchak and Coercion Shaman like this.
post #4863 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hi Hussain,

I think you may have gotten my review mixed up with another? Nowhere in my post above did I use the word/term "Bad Blooming". I specifically stated that "Blooming" when I can even see it was "Minor, very Rare and Momentary". My entire point was that this TV is a Great Set and unless you obsess about looking for incredibly minor flaws, the average user will never notice the blooming.

I specifically mentioned the Netflix "Hold the Dark" show and how well the TV performed during the playing of this show as a type of "Torture Test" for TV Blooming. Another words, if a set is going to have Blooming problems, it will show up in this test very noticeably. However, during this viewing test with the 900F the set passed with flying colors, Aced it, 5 Star performance! Heck, if I had not read about this set blooming in here, I seriously doubt I would have ever noticed it on my own. I highly recommend buying this TV.
Yes my bad sry could iknow whats your room condition is it completely dark or With light on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you have a FALD TV you will have blooming to some degree.....

There is alot to be said about projectors, pros and cons to everything..... No con to a 120" plus screen.....
***Wow - to all the "Bloomers" and "Bleeders" out there - - I can't see it. Now, I do not watch in a totally dark environment, but I see zero blooming with my 75" 900F with very low lighting and a low bias light (strip) on the back of my TV. You can try OLED with all the tint and banding issues if total black, black is your thing. And be prepared to pay a significantly higher cost for larger sets, as well.

No con to 120" plus screen? While I only have a 100" screen (as that is the max I can fit in my man cave) - - my projector has been moth balled since picking up the Sony 900F. It's unwatchable to me - - the lack of sharpness, shadow detail and bright colors just can't be matched. Sure, I love an immersive environment but not at the expense of picture quality. I'm also stuck as I can only accommodate a "short throw" projector and there are zero options for me in the 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision "short throw" projector market.

For that large theater experience, I use my Movie Pass to go the the big Cinema in town. Even then, and with a "4K/Dolby Vision" screening - - I prefer the sharpness and acuity of my Sony 75" 900F. My Dolby Atmos setup also provides better sound than the theater - - I can dial it in and optimize it for my man cave - - especially dialog with my beastly Paradigm CC-690 V.5 center channel.

To those of you who are considering the Sony 900F - - I wouldn't worry about "blooming" if you have your settings right.
If you have zero Blooming you either don’t have a X900F or you got very lucky! Blooming is mentioned in every single review I read, and throughout this thread. I see you do not watch in a black environment, so that could be why it’s not an issue for you. Reviews(rtings especially) rate this as a top notch Dark Room TV. Potential purchasers will likely pursue this TV based on that information.

The degree of Blooming can be mitigated by Bias Lighting and Picture Settings. As mentioned by myself and others, we acknowledge the X900F has terrific picture, and for the price it is a great TV. I would be honest however about Blooming, because it might affect how much people enjoy this TV. If it’s a concern, be sure to purchase from a retailer with a good return policy. That way it can be returned depending on how much the user is bothered by Blooming, if they notice it at all.

For myself I’ve owned Plasma, LCD, OLED, and a 4K HDR Projector. The X900F has the most balanced picture, but some distracting Blooming in certain content. It’s a FALD, mid priced. It has Blooming.
post #4865 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMRoach View Post
If you have zero Blooming you either don’t have a X900F or you got very lucky! Blooming is mentioned in every single review I read, and throughout this thread. I see you do not watch in a black environment, so that could be why it’s not an issue for you. Reviews(rtings especially) rate this as a top notch Dark Room TV. Potential purchasers will likely pursue this TV based on that information.

The degree of Blooming can be mitigated by Bias Lighting and Picture Settings. As mentioned by myself and others, we acknowledge the X900F has terrific picture, and for the price it is a great TV. I would be honest however about Blooming, because it might affect how much people enjoy this TV. If it’s a concern, be sure to purchase from a retailer with a good return policy. That way it can be returned depending on how much the user is bothered by Blooming, if they notice it at all.

For myself I’ve owned Plasma, LCD, OLED, and a 4K HDR Projector. The X900F has the most balanced picture, but some distracting Blooming in certain content. It’s a FALD, mid priced. It has Blooming.
For sure, I'm sure blooming would not be noticeable in a bright environement.

As mentionned by multiple people, there are no perfect TV. They all come with their pros and cons. It's a matter of identifiying with which weakness you can live with and which one you just can't. Based on that information, you take the proper TV/technology. For me Motion, Low Input lag and great upscaling and screen uniformity was at the top of my requirements and although I just had this TV for one day and more test needs to be done, so far, this TV check the boxes.

Sure, next on my list was deeper black and contrasts and no blooming but going for this (OLED) would come with the possibility of burned in, inferior motion handling and upscaling. So everyone needs to see what they value the most and choose accordingly. I could still change my mind but for the price I paid, this TV fits the requirements and could hold me until the technology evolved and some of these negatives are more manageable.
post #4866 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7274 Post(s)
Liked: 7304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post
Hi - new owner here.

Just set it up over the weekend and I'm quite happy. Except...

There seems to be a small blemish in the lower left corner.

Thoughts?
Never seen anything like that, call Sony for a service call.....
post #4867 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Someone in thread hit the nail on head. to add HDR to mid range tvs they reduced number of zones on the FALD tvs. I felt this change just going from a 64 zone 50 inch to a 55 inch 900F which is bigger AND has less zones.

That said, I'm fortunate enough that it doesn't bother me most of time because when I game it's aways in a lit room and without black bars on viewing picture. I only notice the blooming in dark when it's usually my movie/tv time and even then it's only a real bother if subtitles are on in a dark scene or if the content is 4:3 or ultra wide screen (ie has black borders). it's just something to get used to though.

I actually would have bought the quantum just to have the most zones but quite frankly it was impossible to get anywhere and I wanted a black friday deal so I just ended up getting 900F because i was my runner up. I'm happy enough with it for now. At this point I'll keep eye on technology and hope there is a future in things like microLED. Since gaming is mainly what I use tv for I can't use OLED even if I could afford it because the risk of burnin with games that keep static images on screen for long periods of time would be too great. Besides, as the organic material breaks down (especially blues) the tv would lose color accuracy far before I could afford to replace it.
post #4868 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The internal Netflix app will have Dolby Vision and ATMOS support, neither of which are available on the Shield Netflix app. I would recommend using the internal Netflix app right away, and connect to your AVR via optical cable until you get a new ARC capable AVR.
Now this is interesting, because the X900F (I have a 75") doesn't seem to support eARC so how would you get Atmos to your AVR? I have a shield and have ordered a new AVR (Denon x4400H) so my ARC will work from the TV, but without eARC it feels like I have to choose between Atmos or Dolby Vision, but can't have both?

Now I read on the Sony website that all Android TV's support eARC but there is no mention of it in the settings on the TV. I don't have atmos speakers in my ceiling yet anyway, but I still want the option.

Last edited by 12gauge; 12-05-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #4869 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gauge View Post
Now this is interesting, because the X900F (I have a 75") doesn't seem to support eARC so how would you get Atmos to your AVR? I have a shield and have ordered a new AVR (Denon x4400H) so my ARC will work, but without eARC it feels like I have to choose between Atmos or Dolby Vision, but can't have both?

Now I read on the Sony website that all Android TV's support eARC but there is no mention of it in the settings on the TV. I don't have atmos speakers in my ceiling yet anyway, but I still want the option.
ARC will pass ATMOS. It will be the Dolby Digital Plus lossy version of ATMOS, but it is still ATMOS. Adding eARC capability will give your system the ability to pass the uncompressed/lossless Dolby True HD version of ATMOS. Note that your entire system will need to support eARC in order to take advantage of this (TV, AVR, ATMOS speakers, source). No streaming source currently provides lossless audio anyway (except Tidal Lossless), so we are still probably awhile from this making a real difference.

You don't have to choose between ATMOS (lossy) and Dolby Vision. You can have both by using the internal Netflix app and passing the audio out via ARC. Again, its lossy ATMOS but its the best you can get these days

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-05-2018 at 10:41 AM.
post #4870 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Quote:
The internal Netflix app will have Dolby Vision and ATMOS support, neither of which are available on the Shield Netflix app. I would recommend using the internal Netflix app right away, and connect to your AVR via optical cable until you get a new ARC capable AVR.
Now this is interesting, because the X900F (I have a 75") doesn't seem to support eARC so how would you get Atmos to your AVR? I have a shield and have ordered a new AVR (Denon x4400H) so my ARC will work, but without eARC it feels like I have to choose between Atmos or Dolby Vision, but can't have both?

I can jump in here,

I have a 75” X900F and as x4400h. I can confirm you will receive an Atmos signal via ARC.

I will test tonight if you can do Dobly Vision and ATMOS at the same time. I could of sworn I had ATMOS while watching DV content on Netflix, but I want to double check to be sure. I do know that 7.4.2 sounds amazing with the x4400h 🙂
post #4871 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 10:44 AM

I guess I should've clarified that I meant Lossless Atmos... and I thought the Shield did lossless and Dolby Vision so maybe I'm just all confused! So ARC using Dolby Digital Plus to send Atmos. Interesting. Why wouldn't the Shield version of Netflix be as good as the Tv's version... seems like it would have enough juice to run the "best" version of the netflix ap. Thanks for the responses!
post #4872 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess I should've clarified that I meant Lossless Atmos... and I thought the Shield did lossless and Dolby Vision so maybe I'm just all confused! So ARC using Dolby Digital Plus to send Atmos. Interesting. Why wouldn't the Shield version of Netflix be as good as the Tv's version... seems like it would have enough juice to run the "best" version of the netflix ap. Thanks for the responses!
The only way to get lossless ATMOS currently is from a UHD/BD disc, or lossless rips from disc. The Shield has the device capability to pass lossless audio but as I said, none of the streaming services provide that currently. As far as I know, the only lossless audio capabilities that Shield owners are using is to stream their lossless rips, or to stream their lossless music via the Plex app on the Shield.

The Shield does not support Dolby Vision in any way. Not sure if this is something that can or will be updated in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Netflix ATMOS is only available on a limited number of devices, including the internal Netflix app on 2018 Sony Bravia TVs. Even though there are other devices like the Shield that are powerful enough to handle it.

Lots of variables. Welcome to the hobby
post #4873 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Talking

Quote:
The only way to get lossless ATMOS currently is from a UHD/BD disc, or lossless rips from disc. The Shield has the device capability to pass lossless audio but as I said, none of the streaming services provide that currently. As far as I know, the only lossless audio capabilities that Shield owners are using is to stream their lossless rips, or to stream their lossless music via the Plex app on the Shield.

The Shield does not support Dolby Vision in any way. Not sure if this is something that can or will be updated in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Netflix ATMOS is only available on a limited number of devices, including the internal Netflix app on 2018 Sony Bravia TVs. Even though there are other devices like the Shield that are powerful enough to handle it.

More great info. You are obviously more well versed in these things than I.

It doesn't help that I use a shield in my theater room as well, and stream True HD and HD-MA from my Plex server downstairs. Of course I'm using a 1080P projector, so I've never had to worry about 4k HDR, Dolby Vision, or Atmos, since most of my equipment didn't handle it until my new Sony purchase. I guess the way to go is get my Denon 4400 installed tomorrow and then I will have my choice between sources (Sony TV or Nvidia Shield), and if I never use my Shield and always use my Sony as a source, I can move the Shield to my bedroom, where the Samsung "Smart Hub" is slow and hard to control with my URC remote.

I wish I was new to the hobby, I'd be a lot wealthier. Unfortunately I got locked out of my old account and the admins didn't respond when I asked for help so I am using a new account. I'm really 103 years old and have 50,000 posts.
christoofar likes this.
post #4874 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What setting do you guys use when using an Apple TV 4k? I have it in HDMI3 and it is set to enhanced. You have it set to 4k from the box, or lower it so the tv does it? I may have the wrong term (resolution) as I'm not at home with the TV at the moment.

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
post #4875 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChinn View Post
What setting do you guys use when using an Apple TV 4k? I have it in HDMI3 and it is set to enhanced. You have it set to 4k from the box, or lower it so the tv does it? I may have the wrong term (resolution) as I'm not at home with the TV at the moment.
On the Sony TV, you need to make sure to enable ENHANCED option for your HDMI port. Sounds like you already did that.

On the apple TV, you also need to do some changes to make it work. Go into Settings, then Video & Audio and make the following changes:

HDMI Output: YCbCt
Chorma: 4:4:4
Match content: Both range and frame rate should be ON.

Now I personally set my "FORMAT" option to 4K SDR. This puts the apple TV in 4K but doesn't go into retina burning mode when just browsing the menu. If you leave the format in SDR but also have Match content for both range and frame to on, it will automatically switch to HDR or Dolby Vision if the content being streamed has it.

If you are using a AVR in between, this one also may need to have it's HDMI port set to Enhanced range like the TV. Finally, make sure your HDMI cables have suffisant bandwidth to cover for this.
uncool and Dchak like this.
post #4876 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post
On the Sony TV, you need to make sure to enable ENHANCED option for your HDMI port. Sounds like you already did that.

On the apple TV, you also need to do some changes to make it work. Go into Settings, then Video & Audio and make the following changes:

Now I personally set my "FORMAT" option to 4K SDR. This puts the apple TV in 4K but doesn't go into retina burning mode when just browsing the menu. If you leave the format in SDR but also have Match content for both range and frame to on, it will automatically switch to HDR or Dolby Vision if the content being streamed has it.

If you are using a AVR in between, this one also may need to have it's HDMI port set to Enhanced range like the TV. Finally, make sure your HDMI cables have suffisant bandwidth to cover for this.
Thank you. That should help me put things where they should be. I was playing with it last night and couldn't find what I thought looked the best. It is plugged into to the TV without an AVR at the moment. The HDMI cables are 4k ultra, but they are just monoprice brand.

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
post #4877 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
More great info. You are obviously more well versed in these things than I.

It doesn't help that I use a shield in my theater room as well, and stream True HD and HD-MA from my Plex server downstairs. Of course I'm using a 1080P projector, so I've never had to worry about 4k HDR, Dolby Vision, or Atmos, since most of my equipment didn't handle it until my new Sony purchase. I guess the way to go is get my Denon 4400 installed tomorrow and then I will have my choice between sources (Sony TV or Nvidia Shield), and if I never use my Shield and always use my Sony as a source, I can move the Shield to my bedroom, where the Samsung "Smart Hub" is slow and hard to control with my URC remote.

I wish I was new to the hobby, I'd be a lot wealthier. Unfortunately I got locked out of my old account and the admins didn't respond when I asked for help so I am using a new account. I'm really 103 years old and have 50,000 posts.
Everything I said about using the Sony internal app instead of the Shield only applies to Netflix, as the original discussion as I understood it was getting Netflix ATMOS support. The Shield will still be useful for other uses like your Plex streaming, and VUDU if you use it. I would keep it with your Sony 900F and get a cheaper stick like the new Fire TV stick or a Roku stick for your Samsung.

I have (or will have) the same equipment as you. Shield, 4400H (in the shop getting repaired), 900F (on the way), Samsung TV as a secondary TV.

Wow you ARE old. What's your secret? Avocados and 11.2 surround ?
post #4878 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. That should help me put things where they should be. I was playing with it last night and couldn't find what I thought looked the best. It is plugged into to the TV without an AVR at the moment. The HDMI cables are 4k ultra, but they are just monoprice brand.
I'm using monoprice HDMI cables I bought cheap on amazing but they were "Certified" cables and they are working fine. I'm using a AVR myself and my apple TV sends proper 4K, HDR content. Next step will be to test dolby vision for me.
post #4879 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Just to add two cents to this. The general guidance is to set to 4K SDR as mentioned. However if you want to test and see if the 900F upscales better than the ATV4K, you could set the resolution to 720P or 1080i or 1080P and then let the 900F do the upscaling to 4K. I am planning to do this when I get my 900F delivered. The ATV4K does an amazing job with upscaling but it can't hurt to try it out.
post #4880 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 AM

I love me some avocados. No/low carbs and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu help.

Don't forget the JVC projector, Marantz 8801, 7 channels of PSB Synchrony, 4 Emotiva xpa-2 amps and a Behringer dsp3000 upstairs! Home made Dayton 15" boxes tuned to 20 Hz.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #4881 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Just to add two cents to this. The general guidance is to set to 4K SDR as mentioned. However if you want to test and see if the 900F upscales better than the ATV4K, you could set the resolution to 720P or 1080i or 1080P and then let the 900F do the upscaling to 4K. I am planning to do this when I get my 900F delivered. The ATV4K does an amazing job with upscaling but it can't hurt to try it out.
that is what I was trying to do last night. It got to the point I couldn't tell which looked better, so gave up for the night. BTN on DirecTV now is probably not the best source. I wish someone could post some GREAT setting for watching the substandard DirecTV Now like sources. I'm considering going back to regular DirecTV. It just seemed like a better picture in most cases.

post #4882 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
that is what I was trying to do last night. It got to the point I couldn't tell which looked better, so gave up for the night. BTN on DirecTV now is probably not the best source. I wish someone could post some GREAT setting for watching the substandard DirecTV Now like sources. I'm considering going back to regular DirecTV. It just seemed like a better picture in most cases.
I'll be testing it for the same reason (DTVN). I'd suggest that you check your OTA channels to see what resolution they broadcast at, and then adjust your ATV settings accordingly and compare. In my case, the local Fox station broadcasts at 720P. I will set my ATV to 720P and then watch the DTVN Fox feed on my 900F to see how it looks.

If it looks the same, I would recommend letting the ATV handle it so as to avoid any potential audio sync issues introduced by additional video processing on the 900F.
post #4883 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got my 75" 900F a few days ago & I'm worried that it is defective. The picture is very "soft", not crystal clear. It passes the help- picture screen test but the pictures in that also seem soft.
I'm used to a larger Leeco 85" that was awesome but too big for my new room. All external & internal app video were crystal clear & sharp. It has 480 zones of backlight dimming, could that have something to do with the difference?
I've played with all of the picture settings but can't seem to find a happy balance. Any ideas or settings I should try?
post #4884 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMRoach View Post
I can jump in here,

I have a 75” X900F and as x4400h. I can confirm you will receive an Atmos signal via ARC.

I will test tonight if you can do Dobly Vision and ATMOS at the same time. I could of sworn I had ATMOS while watching DV content on Netflix, but I want to double check to be sure. I do know that 7.4.2 sounds amazing with the x4400h 🙂
I can confirm that you get Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision using the Netflix app from the TV. I've tested it with Altered Carbon (GREAT show btw) and it looks and sounds stunning.
post #4885 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
If you did that (set the ATV4K to say 1080p) wouldn't it downsample all 4K content to 1080p? To me the biggest drawback of the ATV4K is no auto switching resolution, but maybe I don't understand how it works. I'd like to keep everything at native res and let the Sony do the scaling, which I can do with my Shield.
post #4886 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbknightx View Post
If you did that (set the ATV4K to say 1080p) wouldn't it downsample all 4K content to 1080p? To me the biggest drawback of the ATV4K is no auto switching resolution, but maybe I don't understand how it works. I'd like to keep everything at native res and let the Sony do the scaling, which I can do with my Shield.
Yes it probably would, and then get upscaled back by the 900F. That would have to be tested to see if it creates any issues as well. This might be one more reason to just let the ATV handle the upscaling
post #4887 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the 65 inch coming this weekend. Does anyone know the length inbetween the legs?
post #4888 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluraycrazy View Post
I have the 65 inch coming this weekend. Does anyone know the length inbetween the legs?
At the widest point 44 1/2 inches, Sonos Playbar fits perfectly between the legs!
post #4889 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:

***Informative post. Yes, Dolby Atmos via DD+ (lossy - compressed). The technology of our TV's & AVR's is way ahead of what current broadcasters and streaming sites provide.

Lossless audio via eARC and broadcast, cable or satellite TV? Doubtful. Unless there is some miracle solution to the bandwidth issue - - it's not gonna happen in the next 5 years, at least. I'd be happy with DD+ Dolby Atmos (compressed) but you see how little content is available outside of Netflix.

Comcast proved they could deliver Dolby Atmos via DD+ with an episode of "Black Sails" a couple years back. But I haven't seen any commercial broadcasts with Dolby Atmos, even though it's just a "ride along" with DD+. I'd also settle for full 1080p content from cable - - and let my Sony 900F upscale the picture to 4K. But alas - - it is what it is.

That being said, I still get a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of my Sony 900F TV.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #4890 of 11664 Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Informative post. Yes, Dolby Atmos via DD+ (lossy - compressed). The technology of our TV's & AVR's is way ahead of what current broadcasters and streaming sites provide.

Lossless audio via eARC and broadcast, cable or satellite TV? Doubtful. Unless there is some miracle solution to the bandwidth issue - - it's not gonna happen in the next 5 years, at least. I'd be happy with DD+ Dolby Atmos (compressed) but you see how little content is available outside of Netflix.

Comcast proved they could deliver Dolby Atmos via DD+ with an episode of "Black Sails" a couple years back. But I haven't seen any commercial broadcasts with Dolby Atmos, even though it's just a "ride along" with DD+. I'd also settle for full 1080p content from cable - - and let my Sony 900F upscale the picture to 4K. But alas - - it is what it is.

That being said, I still get a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of my Sony 900F TV.
I agree it's gonna be awhile but less than 5 years IMO. Doubt that providers like Netflix etc will see much of a return on investment in improving audio quality. The average customer is going to put more priority on content, picture quality etc. From a bandwidth perspective, the rollout of 5G will address this.

Itunes and VUDU are excellent sources of compressed ATMOS, in addition to Netflix. And Amazon Prime seems to be upping their game as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page