2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4351Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4951 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Some of the best picture quality I have seen is a full 1080P signal that is upscaled by the Sony 900F. (Netflix, Amazon, OTA)

In fact, I prefer 1080P over many "4K/HDR/Dolby Vision" content on many streaming sites as it is a far clearer and more pristine picture than 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision. How can that be possible you say? Crap implementation of 4K and/or interpretation by Sony processing (Dolby Vision). Fake 4K sources (not natively filmed in 4K). As I've said before - - the best 4K/HDR I have ever seen is via a short "You Tube" clip. But alas - - I've never seen anything close to that content from any source for regular programming.
Playing native 2160p looks even better

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
CaptinCrunch is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4952 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Make sure the streaming device is sending the native signal. Some (like the Xfinity X1) upscale to 1080p (as the content is either 720p or 1080i on Xfinity) and then send that to be upscaled to 4K resulting in two separate upscales. Unfortunately, the X1 box no longer offers the choice of 'Native'. Same can be true on any device.


The internal apps use the source signal as it is sent (720p, 1080i, 1080p, 4K) and then upscales as necessary.
So on my Fios box, which doesn’t offer “Native”, should I choose 720p or 1080i? I know different channels use one or the other, but is there a better choice between the two? I assume I shouldn’t choose 1080p as that would mean the Fios box is always doing some upscaling?
Dchak is offline  
post #4953 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
PannyMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Hello all. I am a proud owner of a 75 inch 900f and very happy with the panel. I also own an lg e6 which got stupidly positive reviews when it came out in 2016. I have some issues with blotching of blacks in dark scenes, never been sure if it’s the panel or cable system compression. Motion issues st times as well. Anyway I was over on the oled forum and visited the lg c8 thread and noticed some complaints about the latest generation panel. So hopped into a conversation and just mentioned that I recently made the decision to buy the 900f as opposed to the oled due to value as well as still not trusting processing on lg oled. Got jumped all over and effectively asked to leave, very sensitive people! I’ve been using the forum since buying a Pioneer Elite plasma back in 2007 and using it to research other panels I’ve purchased. I must say that most 900f people seem to be thrilled with the product, very few unhappy customers on this thread, which is pretty impressive since this is the place we come to vent! Happy to be a member here. Regards. Ned.
So how do you compare the 900F to your E6 guy ?

I own a 65B7A and am very pleased with the picture. I am thinking however, about a bigger screen and have been eyeballing the 75X900F. What do you think I'd like about the transition ? And what do you think I may not be too pleased with ?

Ordered a 65X900F for my GF, hasn't come in yet. I suppose I'll get a comparison of sorts, but her place has a very different lighting setup than mine.

I'm really interested in your feedback. Ngsterman !

I think, therefore I am single.
PannyMann is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4954 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Hello all. I am a proud owner of a 75 inch 900f and very happy with the panel. I also own an lg e6 which got stupidly positive reviews when it came out in 2016. I have some issues with blotching of blacks in dark scenes, never been sure if it’s the panel or cable system compression. Motion issues st times as well. Anyway I was over on the oled forum and visited the lg c8 thread and noticed some complaints about the latest generation panel. So hopped into a conversation and just mentioned that I recently made the decision to buy the 900f as opposed to the oled due to value as well as still not trusting processing on lg oled. Got jumped all over and effectively asked to leave, very sensitive people! I’ve been using the forum since buying a Pioneer Elite plasma back in 2007 and using it to research other panels I’ve purchased. I must say that most 900f people seem to be thrilled with the product, very few unhappy customers on this thread, which is pretty impressive since this is the place we come to vent! Happy to be a member here. Regards. Ned.
Congrats on your new set as I'm also a new 900F owner, but alas only 55" Lol. I actually returned the first 55" due to excessive blooming I noticed while watching movies and also because of a darkish round 1" spot that developed after a few days at the bottom of the screen. I've now had my 2nd set for 2 days and at the moment I'm thrilled with it as the blooming is much less noticeable with no sign of jail bars, DSE, or any other issues as I've put it to the test with movies, PC gaming and Xbox One X gaming as well. The upscaling with 1080p cable content is also excellent. So my fingers are crossed that it stays like this and that I lucked into getting a good unit this time.
handheldpictures is offline  
post #4955 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Hi,
I'm still trying to figure out if the x-motion clearity adds more ghosting/duplications to all Hz/fps content images.
Elsewhere, they say that BFI can not flicker at 60 Hz because the minimum flicker of the tv is 120 hz.
So,60 Hz 60 fps content will have visible duplications in its motion.
I don't understand if in 24 hz 24 fps and 50 hz 25 fps or even 60 hz 30 fps,contents will have or not the same ghosting/duplications of the content in 60 hz 60 fps.

All videogames are outputted at 60 hz,so i think that x-motion clarity could be totally useless with gaming content of PS4 Pro and Xbox One x.
But not all console games are at 60 hz 60 fps.
The most of them are 60 hz 30 fps.

Last edited by AleStrife; 12-07-2018 at 05:42 PM.
AleStrife is offline  
post #4956 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post
So how do you compare the 900F to your E6 guy ?

I own a 65B7A and am very pleased with the picture. I am thinking however, about a bigger screen and have been eyeballing the 75X900F. What do you think I'd like about the transition ? And what do you think I may not be too pleased with ?

Ordered a 65X900F for my GF, hasn't come in yet. I suppose I'll get a comparison of sorts, but her place has a very different lighting setup than mine.

I'm really interested in your feedback. Ngsterman !
I would have to qualify my answer based on what could hamper an apples to apples comparison. The e6 which is now two generations old, 2016, lives in a high rise condo building in the Miami area. The 75 inch 900f lives in a single family house in Naples, Florida. So different cable systems with potentially different amount of compression. That said, I also own a Sony 950b up in NJ. With those caviests, I tend to lean toward liking the picture of the led better. I’m not a ultimate black freak, don’t watch dvds let alone 4 k dvds. I think Sony just does processing much better and their picture enhancements also work better, able to customize the picture more to my liking. Motion is better on the 900f, more “pop” as well, I also like razor sharp pictures. The value is also much better in the 75 inch size right now. I would need to do more critical viewing on the 900f on high quality streaming, just haven’t had a chance yet. My e6 in the high rise has horrible black crush issues, the picture falls apart in dark scenes, lots of blotching of picture, not sure if it’s the tv or compression of cable system, and if it is, it doesn’t handle it well. As I said, after years of following the threads of high end panels of all sorts, the 900f seems to just be liked by most thread members, just less bitching about this or that, people just seem to be able to put up theirs legs, relax and enjoy the experience. Hard to beat the value, a great picture in a 75 for $2800, an 85 for $4400. A panel that seems to deliver on expectations. Regards. Ned.
blackreign66 likes this.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #4957 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
whoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
Congrats on your new set as I'm also a new 900F owner, but alas only 55" Lol. I actually returned the first 55" due to excessive blooming I noticed while watching movies and also because of a darkish round 1" spot that developed after a few days at the bottom of the screen. I've now had my 2nd set for 2 days and at the moment I'm thrilled with it as the blooming is much less noticeable with no sign of jail bars, DSE, or any other issues as I've put it to the test with movies, PC gaming and Xbox One X gaming as well. The upscaling with 1080p cable content is also excellent. So my fingers are crossed that it stays like this and that I lucked into getting a good unit this time.
Can you describe in more detail your experience with the blooming between the two sets? I've got a 75" and the blooming is a bit irritating.
whoodie is offline  
post #4958 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Member
 
sonicviewelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Connected this TV with Yamaha audio video receiver using a ARC HDMI port 3. All my video input are going to my AVR and from AVR signals are going to TV through ARC.
I am trying to play the Netflix app from the TV and I can see the picture but there is no sound any idea what setting should I change on TV so I can watch Netflix app of TV and audio from AVR unit. I was thinking ARC port will pass the sound from TVs inbuilt app to AVR.
sonicviewelite is offline  
post #4959 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitebuilder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Ramirez View Post
Who ever recommend the setting with xfintity to change to 720p what a diff it has made on my 85 900F thanks
Do you have the 4k X1 box? I followed this advice and when I hit the display button on the TV remote it shows that the pictures are not in 4k, so I switched my box back to the 4k setting.
I assumed when I hit the display button it shows the incoming signal that is being upscaled.... not the signal that is being displayed. My Android box can stream 4K but I have it set at 1080p - so the display button always shows 1080p. Am I wrong?
Yeah so if you limit it to 720p the TV will be up scaling all content to 4k. What if the OG content is 4k, like watching Netflix from the x1 box, does that mean that the x1 now will limit it to 720p and the TV will upscale it to 4k? Seems like I'd rather have the OG 4k feed.
VTENGR is offline  
post #4960 of 9719 Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Can you describe in more detail your experience with the blooming between the two sets? I've got a 75" and the blooming is a bit irritating.
The blooming in my first 55" was more like edge lit than FALD, as I noticed excessive bloom in the corners of the screen when watching a couple of 4K movies in a dark room. It was honestly quite bad and I'm assuming I got a lemon because this 2nd set has been much better in that I still see some blooming at times in the black bars when it's a dark scene and something bright suddenly appears, but it's been nothing like the 1st set. I realize LED/LCD has its issues and limitations, but when taking everything into account, including price, I honestly don't think there's a better TV for the money at this time. OLED won't have the blooming issues, but it still has others that a lot of people don't want to put up with.

Having worked in a professional broadcasting station, the larger the screen the more noticeable defects will be seen, so I'm not surprised to hear you say that the bloom is a bit irritating because even if you had a perfect panel, there's still going to be some bloom no matter what due to the technology at hand. The only way around it is to lower the backlight or contrast enhancer or X-tended dynamic range, but then you're ending up with a dimmer image. On my 55", I've got backlight and dynamic range at max/high with contrast enhancer off when watching 4K movies with local dimming and black adjust on high, and overall they look great with a little bit of blooming here and there which I can live with. On a 75", you might have to fiddle around with that a bit until you find a setting that you're happy with. Maybe someone else with a 75" can ring in and let you know their settings that they're happy with.
handheldpictures is offline  
post #4961 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 02:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I just bought the European equivalent 75xf9005 (I live in Germany) and I am no expert on panels.
However I know a thing or two about software, and sampling through the 166 pages here I didn't find any discussion on that (I understand it is not strictly audio/video, but it is part of the TV we own).
My take on this TV is that the image, motion and upscaling look great but SW is abysmal.

Here are the most annoying things (most can be found already around, but you can gather all of them only once you hit them personally).

1-power consumption: besides many functionalities walking up the TV continuously that somehow can be disabled, there seem to be no way to stop Google calling home in standby. That brings transitions from 0,5W to 20W all over the place. I am worried about the life of the power supply. I do not want to touch my wall mounted monster to replace that.

2-I use vpn. Nice that I can do that on the TV directly. Too bad that there is a long known bug that does the following. If you go in standby connected to vpn, next time you turn on, the TV crashes and reboots.

3-satellite channels management. Short story : buggy interface, you don't know what you are scanning, especially if you have 2 satellites on the same cable. Scanning doesn't go through most of the times. Channels can be managed (meaningfully sort of) only through PC.

4-Amazon prime : happy to finally have 4K content visible and a single remote without going to an external device? Yeah, if you don't mind extreme stuttering and broken app unable to change to original language.

5-search integration across apps? Nope

6-bloatware? Yup.

7-thousands of fully working android apps? Not exactly, android tv is the crippled sibling.

The fact that such a great panel shows a grainy crappy image in its menu page tells a lot about Sony's car for SW details.
Cowst is offline  
post #4962 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 05:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm getting DirecTV next week. Since there is a couple 4k channels and 4k on demand stuff, should I plug the box into hdmi port 2 or 3 or just use 1 like my current stb?

Also, are there any specific settings geared towards DirecTV quality?
peefles is offline  
post #4963 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by peefles View Post
I'm getting DirecTV next week. Since there is a couple 4k channels and 4k on demand stuff, should I plug the box into hdmi port 2 or 3 or just use 1 like my current stb?

Also, are there any specific settings geared towards DirecTV quality?
Port 1 will be fine, the data rate on the 4k satellite signal won't come close to stressing the port capabilities.
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #4964 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Port 1 will be fine, the data rate on the 4k satellite signal won't come close to stressing the port capabilities.

Excellent. Thanks!
peefles is offline  
post #4965 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
The blooming in my first 55" was more like edge lit than FALD, as I noticed excessive bloom in the corners of the screen when watching a couple of 4K movies in a dark room. It was honestly quite bad and I'm assuming I got a lemon because this 2nd set has been much better in that I still see some blooming at times in the black bars when it's a dark scene and something bright suddenly appears, but it's been nothing like the 1st set. I realize LED/LCD has its issues and limitations, but when taking everything into account, including price, I honestly don't think there's a better TV for the money at this time. OLED won't have the blooming issues, but it still has others that a lot of people don't want to put up with.

Having worked in a professional broadcasting station, the larger the screen the more noticeable defects will be seen, so I'm not surprised to hear you say that the bloom is a bit irritating because even if you had a perfect panel, there's still going to be some bloom no matter what due to the technology at hand. The only way around it is to lower the backlight or contrast enhancer or X-tended dynamic range, but then you're ending up with a dimmer image. On my 55", I've got backlight and dynamic range at max/high with contrast enhancer off when watching 4K movies with local dimming and black adjust on high, and overall they look great with a little bit of blooming here and there which I can live with. On a 75", you might have to fiddle around with that a bit until you find a setting that you're happy with. Maybe someone else with a 75" can ring in and let you know their settings that they're happy with.
In general I never put the picture controls at maximum, I think operating at the extremes is never a good idea. I do think that the Sony processing is great to achieve a sharp, crisp picture with lots of pop and minimal artifacts. I would try backing off the dynamic contrast, local dimming features a notch, much lower chance of blooming and other nasties. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #4966 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowst View Post
Hi, I just bought the European equivalent 75xf9005 (I live in Germany) and I am no expert on panels.
However I know a thing or two about software, and sampling through the 166 pages here I didn't find any discussion on that (I understand it is not strictly audio/video, but it is part of the TV we own).
My take on this TV is that the image, motion and upscaling look great but SW is abysmal.

Here are the most annoying things (most can be found already around, but you can gather all of them only once you hit them personally).

1-power consumption: besides many functionalities walking up the TV continuously that somehow can be disabled, there seem to be no way to stop Google calling home in standby. That brings transitions from 0,5W to 20W all over the place. I am worried about the life of the power supply. I do not want to touch my wall mounted monster to replace that.

2-I use vpn. Nice that I can do that on the TV directly. Too bad that there is a long known bug that does the following. If you go in standby connected to vpn, next time you turn on, the TV crashes and reboots.

3-satellite channels management. Short story : buggy interface, you don't know what you are scanning, especially if you have 2 satellites on the same cable. Scanning doesn't go through most of the times. Channels can be managed (meaningfully sort of) only through PC.

4-Amazon prime : happy to finally have 4K content visible and a single remote without going to an external device? Yeah, if you don't mind extreme stuttering and broken app unable to change to original language.

5-search integration across apps? Nope

6-bloatware? Yup.

7-thousands of fully working android apps? Not exactly, android tv is the crippled sibling.

The fact that such a great panel shows a grainy crappy image in its menu page tells a lot about Sony's car for SW details.
And just when I was commenting about how little complaining and nit picking there was about the 900f on this thread, 7 nits! I’m crushed(at least not black crushed). Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #4967 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Issues with Digitial Optical Output port

I have my 75" 900f connected to the bose soundbar 700 via hdmi. in addition, i have an optical out splitter. one of the split toslink cables goes into the bose (it is more stable with both toslink and hdmi) and other i use to output through a 50ft optical cable connecting to a dac (cheap dac i bought on amazon) in a different room. from the dac, the audio feeds into a whole house music receiver.
this is the dac:
https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-Decoder-Control-Digital Converter/dp/B07BW9D37T/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8


for some reason the audio no longer reaches the dac or plays through the house system. it has worked for about a month but even that was sporadic. couple of observations:
1) the TV's digital out port doesnt snap or click when you put the toslink cable in like other devices. it doesnt feel secure even though i can see that the red light is reaching the opposite end of the first cable. many time is unplugged and reconnected the optical cables to make the secondary speakers work - seems like a connection issue somewhere along the line.
2) but i can verify that the red light (audio signal) is on and reaching the dac thru the 50 ft toslink cable.

3) i have digital out on the tv set to auto. it has always worked that way. the dac i bought can decode and dolby 5.1/dts signal into 2channel audio.
4) maybe the dac just died?
5) for some reason i need to connect the hdmi and toslink to my bose soundbar for stable operation. any suggestions?
mjb8706 is offline  
post #4968 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,538
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormicide View Post
How does everyone enjoy their 900f’s? I currently have a 65” B6. I’ve narrowed my replacement to a 75” 900f or a 65” z9f. I don’t have any burn in so far but I want to be able to play video games and watch whatever on tv. I don’t mean to clog up your thread thanks in advance
I am surprised you are living in paranoia, you only live once, do not fear of something that happens to less then 1% of the OLED owners...


--Any who quality VS quantity, you a quality kinda guy? Get the Z9D, if you are a quantity kinda guy get the 900F. You already know what type of guy you are so the choice is made already.......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #4969 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Port 1 will be fine, the data rate on the 4k satellite signal won't come close to stressing the port capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peefles View Post
Excellent. Thanks!
Doesn't Direct TV broadcast its 4K content with HLG? If so, I believe you'll need to use port #2 or #3 in order to properly display HDR.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #4970 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowst View Post
Sony's car for SW details.
The irony
christoofar likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #4971 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ERuiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 234
My TV is waking up every 5 minutes and goes back to sleep after 10 seconds. How do I know? Because I have a bias light connected to one of it's USB ports and I noticed the light turning on and off. I decided to time it and it's exactly every 5 minutes, for 10 seconds.

Obviously, the TV is waking up and doing something in the background and then going back to sleep. This is really annoying.

I bet it's Android TV connecting to Google or some service for some reason.

How can I disable this sort of thing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED-65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
ERuiz is online now  
post #4972 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
PannyMann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
\I think Sony just does processing much better and their picture enhancements also work better, able to customize the picture more to my liking. Motion is better on the 900f, more “pop” as well, I also like razor sharp pictures. The value is also much better in the 75 inch size right now. I would need to do more critical viewing on the 900f on high quality streaming, just haven’t had a chance yet. My e6 in the high rise has horrible black crush issues, the picture falls apart in dark scenes, lots of blotching of picture, not sure if it’s the tv or compression of cable system, and if it is, it doesn’t handle it well. As I said, after years of following the threads of high end panels of all sorts, the 900f seems to just be liked by most thread members, just less bitching about this or that, people just seem to be able to put up theirs legs, relax and enjoy the experience. Hard to beat the value, a great picture in a 75 for $2800, an 85 for $4400. A panel that seems to deliver on expectations. Regards. Ned.
You have me thinking hard about a 75X900f Ned. I could always sell the B7A. Hmmmm

Thanks a bunch for the feed back !!

FJS

I think, therefore I am single.
PannyMann is online now  
post #4973 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
My TV is waking up every 5 minutes and goes back to sleep after 10 seconds. How do I know? Because I have a bias light connected to one of it's USB ports and I noticed the light turning on and off. I decided to time it and it's exactly every 5 minutes, for 10 seconds.

Obviously, the TV is waking up and doing something in the background and then going back to sleep. This is really annoying.

I bet it's Android TV connecting to Google or some service for some reason.

How can I disable this sort of thing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure you can disable it. Outside of disconnecting from the Internet, stopping any auto-updates and not having any CEC functions present - - I'd suggest using a separate power source for your bias light. That's what I do.

My Sony 900F (and my previous Sony 900E) turns on my AVR randomly. I've tried all the fixes and now, I just live with it. I make sure to turn the audio to a very low level when I turn off the TV and then if it turns on, I just go downstairs to my man cave and shut off my AVR when this happens.

Come to think of it, I could use a manual HDMI switch and put in on the empty location when I go to bed but that would be a pain, as well. If I ever have an AVR in our bedroom, I'm sure I'll have to go to this solution since nobody wants to be randomly woken up by their TV at night!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 12-08-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #4974 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I'm not sure you can disable it. Outside of disconnecting from the Internet, stopping any auto-updates and not having any CEC functions present - - I'd suggest using a separate power source for your bias light. That's what I do.

My Sony 900F (and my previous Sony 900E) turns on my AVR randomly. I've tried all the fixes and now, I just live with it. I make sure to turn the audio to a very low level when I turn off the TV and then if it turns on, I just go downstairs to my man cave and shut off my AVR when this happens.

Come to think of it, I could use a manual HDMI switch and put in on the empty location when I go to bed but that would be a pain, as well. If I ever have an AVR in our bedroom, I'm sure I'll have to go to this solution since nobody wants to be randomly woken up by their TV at night!
Does disabling Samba have any impact on this?
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #4975 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Does disabling Samba have any impact on this?

I don't think Samba has any control over the HDMI ports. It has to do with the auto update/standby function that powers the ports on & off - albeit temporarily. Maybe someone can chime in who uses the HDMI ports on the Sony 900F for their bias light? Obviously, if you are not in the room, you wouldn't notice it. But if you have this TV in your bedroom or even living room where you can see any light - - it will be an issue.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #4976 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Doesn't Direct TV broadcast its 4K content with HLG? If so, I believe you'll need to use port #2 or #3 in order to properly display HDR.
I only have 2 of the ports used so I can plug it into 3.

Also, for anyone, when i put my stb output to 720p to allow the TV to convert it up, like many here suggest, it got choppy before. This was on Prism TV. Should I do the same with DirecTV and will it be better?
peefles is offline  
post #4977 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
Hi,
I'm still trying to figure out if the x-motion clearity adds more ghosting/duplications to all Hz/fps content images.
Elsewhere, they say that BFI can not flicker at 60 Hz because the minimum flicker of the tv is 120 hz.
So,60 Hz 60 fps content will have visible duplications in its motion.
I don't understand if in 24 hz 24 fps and 50 hz 25 fps or even 60 hz 30 fps,contents will have or not the same ghosting/duplications of the content in 60 hz 60 fps.

All videogames are outputted at 60 hz,so i think that x-motion clarity could be totally useless with gaming content of PS4 Pro and Xbox One x.
But not all console games are at 60 hz 60 fps.
The most of them are 60 hz 30 fps.


Someone know if the BFI x-motion clearity of this TV has visible duplication in its motion even on 60 hz 30 fps content?
60 hz / 60 fps have duplication.
But 60 hz / 30 fps?
Can i use x-motion clearity with console 30 fps games?
Yes or No?
AleStrife is offline  
post #4978 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by peefles View Post
I only have 2 of the ports used so I can plug it into 3.

Also, for anyone, when i put my stb output to 720p to allow the TV to convert it up, like many here suggest, it got choppy before. This was on Prism TV. Should I do the same with DirecTV and will it be better?

I believe that Directv has the "native resolution" option. If so - - choose that. That's the best of both worlds.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #4979 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post
You have me thinking hard about a 75X900f Ned. I could always sell the B7A. Hmmmm

Thanks a bunch for the feed back !!

FJS
I think part of this may be how the panels handle less than pristine source. I’m not the kind who just live for those glorious looking 4K dvds, I watch mostly broadcast tv, news, sports, ncis and the like, Netflix, Amazon. I suspect that the Sony led tvs deal much better with the less than pristine source, the oleds just don’t deal as well, lots of video artifacts that I find very annoying. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #4980 of 9719 Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
In general I never put the picture controls at maximum, I think operating at the extremes is never a good idea. I do think that the Sony processing is great to achieve a sharp, crisp picture with lots of pop and minimal artifacts. I would try backing off the dynamic contrast, local dimming features a notch, much lower chance of blooming and other nasties. Regards. Ned.
Sorry Ned, I was tired when posting last night and forgot to mention that putting some of the settings at max is simply my way of testing a new set as it will show how good the panel is when it's pushed. I remember one of the engineer's at the cable station saying that they would always push new equipment, running them at max for at least a few days, and if they passed their stress test, then they'd be confident that they have a good unit.

When gaming in 4K, I'll normally have backlighting, local dimming, black adjust, and dynamic range at max/full anyway, with dynamic contrast always off in all situations. But for movies, computer use, or standard cable, I definitely lower the settings to my liking. As mentioned previously, I knew something was off with the first set when I noticed the excessive blooming whereas this set is much more of what I expected in the first place. A little bit of blooming here and there, but overall, totally acceptable knowing the limits of the technology being used.
handheldpictures is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off