2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4357Likes

post #5041 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmiller View Post
Ok, so I've been testing out the X900F for the past week or so. Gray and black uniformity look decent. Everything seems to be in working order. The only thing that looks off is the reflection handling (I mentioned this in an earlier post). It looks like the anti-reflection coating has vertical streaks/stains across the screen (see attached pic; it does not wipe off). You can only really see them when the sun is reflecting off the screen in the afternoon. Is this normal for this tv? I seem to have a decent unit otherwise and I would hate to drag it back to the store to exchange just to get another one with the same issue.

Normal if the light source is off to the side on all that I have seen, including mine.
christoofar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
I was watching an NFL game on CBS through my Optimum cable box and everyone watching was commenting on the clarity and detail. I have the cable box configured to output 1080i and set the TV to wide mode full-pixel per some earlier posted suggestions. Since I haven't fine tuned any settings yet, I simply set it to Sports and dropped the brightness down some. Colors really punched and motion looked fluid.
I haven't really messed with the pictures settings much, but to give an idea of what seems to look the best of the preset options to my eyes, it would have to be the cinema pro. I don't think it is perfect, but I seem to like that look the best without diving into a lot of the settings which I'm not the most knowledgeable with anyways.

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
post #5043 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Normal if the light source is off to the side on all that I have seen, including mine.
Ok, thanks! You saved me a lot of trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5044 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How does the 900f work with Alexa?

I am getting a Sonos Playbar or Beam and also have a few Dots. Is there a way to control the TV with those devices or a HUB?
post #5045 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChinn View Post
After watching NFL Redzone on Sling TV app on the 85X900F yesterday, I too am not completely satisfied with the clarity for NFL broadcasts. I'd also be interested in anything that would help, but figure it is just the crappy source. I noticed the same on shots from a distance. Close up of players faces seemed to be clear. I have ethernet wired to the TV.
From what I've heard, Sling is not a good quality source. The Sony's upscaling will help but especially at 85 inches, its probably not gonna look very good.
post #5046 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
From what I've heard, Sling is not a good quality source. The Sony's upscaling will help but especially at 85 inches, its probably not gonna look very good.
I'd have to agree. I only use Sling for Red Zone channel. After NFL season, i will drop it and just use the Direct Now app. Which I was able to side-load...thanks to your help.

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
post #5047 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post
Hi gang! I just got my 65" last week and so far have been loving it. Especially since I'm coming from a 10 yr old 52" Sharp LCD - a time when every single Sharp panel had banding issues with the only question being how severer. These forums were a great resource then and so far have been a great resource with this new one. Thanks all for the excellent info so far. I look forward to contributing where I can!

I've been playing around with different settings to find the best for standard cable and streaming and these have been the best starting point for me. Only thing I find odd is, on every other setting I've tried, the brightness has been set to around 7-20 and with these I have it at 40. If I drop it down it just doesn't look good. Can it be damaging to have the brightness this high at all times?
Also, I'm using a Yamaha TSR-5810 receiver to run STB, xbox ones, and ps3 into with all inputs going into the hdmi-3 ARC port on the tv (so i get the sound back to the receiver for the native apps). Is there a way for the TV to know what is coming into the port and set the picture setting accordingly (cinema pro for STB and game for xbox/ps)? Haven't played around with HDR yet but looking forward to it!
Most people with very low brightness probably have X-tended Dynamic Range enable in some capacity. It dramatically raise the brightness of the screen so that people lower their brightness setting to compensate. I notice myself having very low Brightness but once I turned off X-tended Dynamic Range, I had to raise it a lot more (from possible 2 to at least 20) to have the brightness I had before.

I'm pretty sure your TV is just fine. Your brightness setting will be impacted by your environement and personnal preference. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you can set it to the value where you feel good about.
post #5048 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6676
Quote:
Ok, so I've been testing out the X900F for the past week or so. Gray and black uniformity look decent. Everything seems to be in working order. The only thing that looks off is the reflection handling (I mentioned this in an earlier post). It looks like the anti-reflection coating has vertical streaks/stains across the screen (see attached pic; it does not wipe off). You can only really see them when the sun is reflecting off the screen in the afternoon. Is this normal for this tv? I seem to have a decent unit otherwise and I would hate to drag it back to the store to exchange just to get another one with the same issue.
If that is your only complaint you have a keeper
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #5049 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
It may just be where the protective cardboard was in the box. If you noticed when opening up your new 900f that it has alot of protection for shipping and there was 2 vertical cardboard sheets on the front sides. It may just be the screen a little dirty and maybe you can wipe it off if you use a damp cloth.
post #5050 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got my 85x900f installed and setup on Saturday and have sampled maybe 30 4k discs and numerous streaming services. So far most things have looked INCREDIBLE after following the rtings calibration suggestions BUT I need help here:

Dolby Vision looks AWFUL.

When I turn on Netflix, my tv gets stuck on Dolby Vision mode and inexplicably everything looks ultra dim and the color temperature gets VERY warm. For example, even just looking at white-text subtitles on anything on Netflix produces slight-warm-yellow subtitles. The UI also suffers from this with white borders around movies being off-white. This extends to the entire picture with colors being off and picture being unwatchably dark despite using all the same settings I have for HDR10 picture (including max brightness).

I also worry that 4k UHD discs authored with Dolby Vision (like several recent Disney movies) might be suffering from the TVs Dolby Vision problem even though the TV doesn't get stuck in Dolby Vision mode like it does with Netflix.

Are these any solutions? The only I've found is going to the xbox one x app and literally just turning off Dolby Vision output. That forces Netflix to avoid Dolby Vision and makes the colors look better, but I hate that my new TV (which I was excited about supoorting both HDR10 and Dolby Vision) may not be able to play DV content well, or even worst, might straight up have broken DV processing.

Thoughts? Tips? Many thanks in advance.
post #5051 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If that is your only complaint you have a keeper
Yeh, I guess I finally got lucky. The only other issue I've had with it is one dead pixel (which you literally have to smash your face against the screen to even see it). So, I can live with that.
post #5052 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenAvs90 View Post
I just got my 85x900f installed and setup on Saturday and have sampled maybe 30 4k discs and numerous streaming services. So far most things have looked INCREDIBLE after following the rtings calibration suggestions BUT I need help here:

When I turn on Netflix, my tv gets stuck on Dolby Vision mode and inexplicably everything looks ultra dim and the color temperature gets VERY warm. For example, even just looking at white-text subtitles on anything on Netflix produces slight-warm-yellow subtitles. The UI also suffers from this with white borders around movies being off-white. This extends to the entire picture with colors being off and picture being unwatchably dark despite using all the same settings I have for HDR10 picture (including max brightness).

I also worry that 4k UHD discs authored with Dolby Vision (like several recent Disney movies) might be suffering from the TVs Dolby Vision problem even though the TV doesn't get stuck in Dolby Vision mode like it does with Netflix.

Are these any solutions? The only I've found is going to the xbox one x app and literally just turning off Dolby Vision output. That forces Netflix to avoid Dolby Vision and makes the colors look better, but I hate that my new TV (which I was excited about supoorting both HDR10 and Dolby Vision) may not be able to play DV content well, or even worst, might straight up have broken DV processing.

Are you having the Netflix problems with the internal Netflix app? Or the Xbox Netflix app? If it's Xbox, the app has a known issue of forcing Dolby Vision on for all content (even non Dolby Vision content) which is probably what you're seeing. The solution would be to use the internal 900F Netflix app instead.

Regarding the Dolby Vision discs, what player are you using? Only certain players are using the same Dolby Vision profile as the Sony TVs are using.
post #5053 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I watched Spiderman: Homecoming and The Darkest Hour last night via 4K UHD discs and Dolby Vision and both films looked spectacular. What settings are you using?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5054 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Small point Ports 1 and 4 also support 4K HDR @30fps , you only need to use enhanced on ports 2/3 if you are running @60fps . Agree totally on connecting straight to the AVR if possible to support the greatest variety of audio formats BUT if necessary port 1/4 will support any cable/satellite box, 4K or not, out there.
Good to know. Just curious, is this documented somewhere? Rtngs didn't mention it in their review
post #5055 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTV69 View Post
I watched Spiderman: Homecoming and The Darkest Hour last night via 4K UHD discs and Dolby Vision and both films looked spectacular. What settings are you using

I'm using the rtings.com settings pretty much verbatim. Are those okay? (I can't post links yet bc of noob status but it's rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings)

Quote:
Are you having the Netflix problems with the internal Netflix app? Or the Xbox Netflix app? If it's Xbox, the app has a known issue of forcing Dolby Vision on for all content (even non Dolby Vision content) which is probably what you're seeing. The solution would be to use the internal 900F Netflix app instead.

Regarding the Dolby Vision discs, what player are you using? Only certain players are using the same Dolby Vision profile as the Sony TVs are using.

I'm using the xbox app, so I'll try the on-board app instead and report back. Thanks. I'm also using the xbox one x as my UHD player. Is that a problem?
post #5056 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Good to know. Just curious, is this documented somewhere? Rtngs didn't mention it in their review

It is documented throughout this thread. I posted about it a few times in the last several pages.

Rtings also talks about this under 'Supported Resolutions'.

All common resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 is only possible on HDMI inputs 2 and 3, and only when 'HDMI Enhanced Format' is enabled. 4:4:4 chroma subsampling is only shown properly in the 'Game' and 'Graphics' picture modes.

And under "Input Specifications'.

HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwidth: Yes (HDMI 2,3)
christoofar likes this.

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 12-10-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #5057 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
All 4 ports can do 4k/60hz. Port 2-3 are the only ports to fully support HDR.
Sharp45 likes this.
post #5058 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using the xbox app, so I'll try the on-board app instead and report back. Thanks. I'm also using the xbox one x as my UHD player. Is that a problem?
Xbox supports DV for streaming but doesn't support it for UHD disc play.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #5059 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello everyone. Is it possible to password protect the TV, so that if another device on my home network wants to access it (such as the remote app on my tablet) it must enter the password before given access to the TV?
post #5060 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Xbox supports DV for streaming but doesn't support it for UHD disc play.

Whaaaaaaa. Really? I thought I read that it was patched in or something. So what does that mean with 4K discs encoded with DV? How does the Xbox One X process that?
post #5061 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm using the rtings.com settings pretty much verbatim. Are those okay? (I can't post links yet bc of noob status but it's rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings)

Those are really decent settings to start off with. I've tweeked them accordingly however just using what I believe looks best. They have the color at 50 and I've cranked it up to 60ish and it looks much better to my eyes and not unnatural.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5062 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whaaaaaaa. Really? I thought I read that it was patched in or something. So what does that mean with 4K discs encoded with DV? How does the Xbox One X process that?
Microsoft flip flopped on this. Initially they said it would be DV for streaming only, then it came out that they would be adding DV for disc play. Then it came out that the update was incorrect and they were not committing to supporting DV disc play.
You'll get HDR10 output if you play a DV disc on Xbox currently.

To add to the confusion, if you decide that you want to go get a UHD player that supports Dolby Vision you'll have to make sure it is a player that is compatible with Sony's version of Dolby Vision. The only one that I know of that is compatible is Sony's X700, but it has its own issues of requiring you to turn Dolby Vision on/off manually. The player won't recognize DV automatically as most other players do.
post #5063 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Microsoft flip flopped on this. Initially they said it would be DV for streaming only, then it came out that they would be adding DV for disc play. Then it came out that the update was incorrect and they were not committing to supporting DV disc play.

To add to the confusion, if you decide that you want to go get a UHD player that supports Dolby Vision you'll have to make sure it is a player that is compatible with Sony's version of Dolby Vision. The only one that I know of that is compatible is Sony's X700, but it has its own issues of requiring you to turn Dolby Vision on/off manually. The player won't recognize DV automatically as most other players do.

OMG there *would* be a specific Sony version of DV. So is it safe to assume then that most people are not using Dolby Vision on this TV despite that being one of the key selling points of this TV? Is there a list of compatible UHD players and is it even worth it?
post #5064 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OMG there *would* be a specific Sony version of DV. So is it safe to assume then that most people are not using Dolby Vision on this TV despite that being one of the key selling points of this TV? Is there a list of compatible UHD players and is it even worth it?
My guess is that most owners are using DV at least to some extent. There is no compatibility issue for the internal apps such as Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime Video. For external devices, the Apple TV 4K Dolby Vision is compatible as well. I'm not aware of a list of UHD DV compatible players. Like I said earlier, the Sony x700 is one that definitely works. The Philips UHD players do not, and I don't believe the LG UBK90 is compatible either. Unknown whether they will update their firmware to make it compatible.
post #5065 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:

So this confirms Sony has its own version of DV?

I guess if we get the x900f, I'll just consider this an HDR set at most.
post #5066 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Sony HDMI Ports

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokai View Post
All 4 ports can do 4k/60hz. Port 2-3 are the only ports to fully support HDR.

Not documented well but the standard data rate is 10.8Gbps which handles 4K HDR 4:2:0 @ the 24 and 30fps. The enhanced mode is what give you the 18Gbps which will be required for 4K [email protected]/60fps.

I usually suggest trying STB and 4k Bluray with ports 1/4 and if it works you are golden.

All this being said it doesn't hurt to turn on enhanced, just realize that for thinks like STBs and 4K Bluray players port 1 and 4 should work. You can save port 3 for ARC and port 2 for your gaming.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00167580

From this article on Sony UK, the part that is confusing can be the little asterisk after the 18Gbps. The note explains under what circumstances the 18Gbps will be required.

1. Please look at the tables below to find out which HDMI port you need to use to connect the UHD / 4K device via HDMI.
    (UHD devices such as Sony PS4 Pro, Sony UHD BD-Players, Sky Q UHD box, BT UHD box, etc.)
  2. Please enable ‘ HDMI Enhanced mode ’ for the HDMI input for 2015, 2016, and 2017 models.
    To view 4K or HDR pictures at 18 Gbps:*
    • Use a Premium High Speed HDMI cable for 18 Gbps
    • Set HDMI signal format to Enhanced format
      • Press the HOME button on the remote control
      • Select Settings**
      • Select External inputs in the TV category
      • Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format
*4K (50, 60 Hz) with YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:2:0 / 10bit, RGB, HDR picture, etc.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 12-10-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add quote
post #5067 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
So this confirms Sony has its own version of DV?

I guess if we get the x900f, I'll just consider this an HDR set at most.

Correct. Sony has its own Dolby Vision "profile". John Archer, tech writer for Forbes has written useful articles to explain it. The Sony DV is still useful but it's added complexity to the entire Dolby Vision landscape.
post #5068 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

I believe that the oppo 205 and the new panasonic 820 support it. Since the "Sony" DV is a Dolby official mode all future 4K Bluray players will need to support it to receive DV certification.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #5069 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Not documented well but the standard data rate is 10.8Gbps which handles 4K HDR 4:2:0 @ the 24 and 30fps. The enhanced mode is what give you the 18Gbps which will be required for 4K [email protected]/60fps.

I usually suggest trying STB and 4k Bluray with ports 1/4 and if it works you are golden.

All this being said it doesn't hurt to turn on enhanced, just realize that for thinks like STBs and 4K Bluray players port 1 and 4 should work. You can save port 3 for ARC and port 2 for your gaming.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00167580

From this article on Sony UK, the part that is confusing can be the little asterisk after the 18Gbps. The note explains under what circumstances the 18Gbps will be required.

1. Please look at the tables below to find out which HDMI port you need to use to connect the UHD / 4K device via HDMI.
    (UHD devices such as Sony PS4 Pro, Sony UHD BD-Players, Sky Q UHD box, BT UHD box, etc.)
  2. Please enable ‘ HDMI Enhanced mode ’ for the HDMI input for 2015, 2016, and 2017 models.
    To view 4K or HDR pictures at 18 Gbps:*
    • Use a Premium High Speed HDMI cable for 18 Gbps
    • Set HDMI signal format to Enhanced format
      • Press the HOME button on the remote control
      • Select Settings**
      • Select External inputs in the TV category
      • Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format
*4K (50, 60 Hz) with YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:2:0 / 10bit, RGB, HDR picture, etc.
I have connected my Oppo 4K player to HDMI 4 input and audio to AVR, it play all movies in DV without any problem.
I wanted to connect appletv to hdmi 2 but ARC is not working very well, it constantly playing havoc on all audio, from Amazon app and TV apps won't pass any sound some times. I am going back to optical out from tv apps which I am testing I might never use them.
I have tried Apple TV to homie 2 and it works in all video modes but arc is still issue. if I use Apple TV through my Pioneer AVR it does not pass DV, only HDR 10.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #5070 of 9747 Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Thank you! Much appreciated! This is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like the TV will fit my space. So now I just have to make a final decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page