2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4532Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5071 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ixion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitebuilder View Post
Ack, just re read your post. The 8 inches is from my 65" set.
Thanks. It ends up that for the 85", the clearance is 9.5" from back leg to front of screen.
Sharp45 likes this.
ixion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5072 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Member
 
xinunix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChinn View Post
After watching NFL Redzone on Sling TV app on the 85X900F yesterday, I too am not completely satisfied with the clarity for NFL broadcasts. I'd also be interested in anything that would help, but figure it is just the crappy source. I noticed the same on shots from a distance. Close up of players faces seemed to be clear. I have ethernet wired to the TV.
I have this exact same issue/frustration but my source is 1080p coming from Directv upscaled to 4k by the xbox one x. All close ups look incredible, but when they go to the wide field view the sharpness and picture quality goes to crap. NFL is the sport I watch the most and unfortunately it is the most disappointing thing about this TV so far. I took the xbox out of the equation just to be sure the TV wouldn't do a better job with the upscaling, it didn't, I had the exact same result. At first I thought maybe they had a bad camera feed or something b/c of the difference between the close up views and the during play camera angles. However I found the same issue this weekend watching several games from several sources and watching the NFL channel replays.

Would love to find a way to improve the picture for NFL if anyone has suggestions...

So far 4k content looks incredible, 1080p upscaled to 4k (by the xbox one x) movies look great, most 1080p upscaled to 4k talk shows, etc. look great. NFL wide angle views look terrible (literally worse than my 1080p LG), all close up shots during NFL games look great.
xinunix is offline  
post #5073 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Member
 
xinunix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChinn View Post
After watching NFL Redzone on Sling TV app on the 85X900F yesterday, I too am not completely satisfied with the clarity for NFL broadcasts. I'd also be interested in anything that would help, but figure it is just the crappy source. I noticed the same on shots from a distance. Close up of players faces seemed to be clear. I have ethernet wired to the TV.

Well I just ran across another set of settings that I decided to give a try. I tweaked a few things to my liking, these definitely have some pop, a bit too much for me as he has them defined so I toned that down a little (I like some pop vs the flatter though technically more accurate cinema settings). I think the key might have been enabling X-Motion-Clarity vs any of the other settings. Setting Motion to Custom, Smoothness to 3 (did not use Max like he did) and clarity to 1 and my end zone and side angle views on Monday Night football are looking much better!

As always with settings YMMV but maybe worth a try...

tubers likes this.

Last edited by xinunix; 12-10-2018 at 07:15 PM.
xinunix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5074 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello folks, long time reader, first time poster. Received my 65X900F a few days ago and am debating exchanging it, but I thought I would get a few opinions here first. I watch a ton of hockey. Previous TV was a Vizio M60-C3 which suffered from horrible DSE. In buying the X900F, I thought DSE would be a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, that was not meant to be. I have noticed that the X900F (mine at least) is not perfectly uniform. Granted, it is night and day better than the Vizio, but I still see it a fair bit and it irritates me. I HATE DSE and perceive it quite easily on that white sheet of ice. Hockey always seems to make it much more obvious.

I'm wondering if maybe the TV was mishandled during delivery as there was a hole in the box. After a quick inspection, everything looked good, but I'm wondering if maybe the mishandling of the TV may have caused some of the issues I am seeing (i.e. TV fell over).

My questions:

1) Is it normal to see some DSE on this panel?
2) Do any of you have perfectly uniform (grey uniformity) panels with no DSE?
3) Should I return it and try my luck at the panel lottery?

The TV is otherwise fantastic and am quite happy with every other aspect. Just curious on your opinions.

Thank you.
Hotmeal82 is offline  
post #5075 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Yours sounds like a bad unit. My 75” looks great with hockey. To be sure it’s the TV run the hockey DSE video from YouTube.

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is online now  
post #5076 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post
I have this exact same issue/frustration but my source is 1080p coming from Directv upscaled to 4k by the xbox one x. All close ups look incredible, but when they go to the wide field view the sharpness and picture quality goes to crap. NFL is the sport I watch the most and unfortunately it is the most disappointing thing about this TV so far. I took the xbox out of the equation just to be sure the TV wouldn't do a better job with the upscaling, it didn't, I had the exact same result. At first I thought maybe they had a bad camera feed or something b/c of the difference between the close up views and the during play camera angles. However I found the same issue this weekend watching several games from several sources and watching the NFL channel replays.

Would love to find a way to improve the picture for NFL if anyone has suggestions...

So far 4k content looks incredible, 1080p upscaled to 4k (by the xbox one x) movies look great, most 1080p upscaled to 4k talk shows, etc. look great. NFL wide angle views look terrible (literally worse than my 1080p LG), all close up shots during NFL games look great.

I choose the 65" X900F for sports; NFL, College FB, Hockey & Baseball. I have the Directv Sunday Ticket package, NHL package & will pick up the MLB soon. Directv comes in at 1080i on HDMI port 4. Rtings has rated the X900F as the best mid-level priced 4K for sports and explains the Black Frame Insertion feature.


Couple of tips I picked up here.


- Picture mode 'custom'

- Set the input to 'full pixel' - I'm not in front of the TV now but @10 pages back there's a full explanation, it does make a difference.

- 'Motionflow' setting to 'Custom' and increase the 'Smoothness' slider (mine is set to '2'. The 'Clearness' slider (set to '1') controls the image flicker control (BFI) of the TV. This will reduce the brightness so you may want to bump that up - I have it at '15'. Contrast '90'.


Overall the X900F provides exceptional PQ for NFL & NHL with no discernible motion blur. The up-scaling works great and looks like 4K to me. I also added some cheap bias lighting as I have the room pretty much blacked out and the bias lighting makes for more comfortable viewing. Just an aside, for NFL I set the center channel to -6 and raise the front/rear/sub to 7. It eliminates the useless announcers and picks up the crowd noise and players for a more realistic experience.
mhecht13 is offline  
post #5077 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello folks, long time reader, first time poster. Received my 65X900F a few days ago and am debating exchanging it, but I thought I would get a few opinions here first. I watch a ton of hockey. Previous TV was a Vizio M60-C3 which suffered from horrible DSE. In buying the X900F, I thought DSE would be a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, that was not meant to be. I have noticed that the X900F (mine at least) is not perfectly uniform. Granted, it is night and day better than the Vizio, but I still see it a fair bit and it irritates me. I HATE DSE and perceive it quite easily on that white sheet of ice. Hockey always seems to make it much more obvious.

I'm wondering if maybe the TV was mishandled during delivery as there was a hole in the box. After a quick inspection, everything looked good, but I'm wondering if maybe the mishandling of the TV may have caused some of the issues I am seeing (i.e. TV fell over).

My questions:

1) Is it normal to see some DSE on this panel?
2) Do any of you have perfectly uniform (grey uniformity) panels with no DSE?
3) Should I return it and try my luck at the panel lottery?

The TV is otherwise fantastic and am quite happy with every other aspect. Just curious on your opinions.

Thank you.

NHL looks fantastic, I haven't noticed any DSE.
mhecht13 is offline  
post #5078 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello folks, long time reader, first time poster. Received my 65X900F a few days ago and am debating exchanging it, but I thought I would get a few opinions here first. I watch a ton of hockey. Previous TV was a Vizio M60-C3 which suffered from horrible DSE. In buying the X900F, I thought DSE would be a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, that was not meant to be. I have noticed that the X900F (mine at least) is not perfectly uniform. Granted, it is night and day better than the Vizio, but I still see it a fair bit and it irritates me. I HATE DSE and perceive it quite easily on that white sheet of ice. Hockey always seems to make it much more obvious.

I'm wondering if maybe the TV was mishandled during delivery as there was a hole in the box. After a quick inspection, everything looked good, but I'm wondering if maybe the mishandling of the TV may have caused some of the issues I am seeing (i.e. TV fell over).

My questions:

1) Is it normal to see some DSE on this panel?
2) Do any of you have perfectly uniform (grey uniformity) panels with no DSE?
3) Should I return it and try my luck at the panel lottery?

The TV is otherwise fantastic and am quite happy with every other aspect. Just curious on your opinions.

Thank you.
most LCD have the issue you have mentioned, biased lighting will help with some issues, OLED are closest with deep blacks and black and grey uniformity will be lot better. there is no perfect tv. I like OLED but for 75 inch cost it was not practical for me. X900F do lot of things better for price. ratings have some numbers for grey uniformity but their sample size is one.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is offline  
post #5079 of 10434 Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Member
 
panfan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhecht13 View Post
I choose the 65" X900F for sports; NFL, College FB, Hockey & Baseball. I have the Directv Sunday Ticket package, NHL package & will pick up the MLB soon. Directv comes in at 1080i on HDMI port 4. Rtings has rated the X900F as the best mid-level priced 4K for sports and explains the Black Frame Insertion feature.


Couple of tips I picked up here.


- Picture mode 'custom'

- Set the input to 'full pixel' - I'm not in front of the TV now but @10 pages back there's a full explanation, it does make a difference.

- 'Motionflow' setting to 'Custom' and increase the 'Smoothness' slider (mine is set to '2'. The 'Clearness' slider (set to '1') controls the image flicker control (BFI) of the TV. This will reduce the brightness so you may want to bump that up - I have it at '15'. Contrast '90'.


Overall the X900F provides exceptional PQ for NFL & NHL with no discernible motion blur. The up-scaling works great and looks like 4K to me. I also added some cheap bias lighting as I have the room pretty much blacked out and the bias lighting makes for more comfortable viewing. Just an aside, for NFL I set the center channel to -6 and raise the front/rear/sub to 7. It eliminates the useless announcers and picks up the crowd noise and players for a more realistic experience.

Thanks for the info.I noticed a huge Improvement tonight watching espn for MNF..perhaps direct tv was just clearer tonight but the picture was light years better than Sunday ticket NFL and local cbs/fox, via direct tv yesterday. Is espn typically better? Where does one select full pixel for input? I’m not seeing it anywhere. Unfortunately, I made my my image more grainy and less clear.. not sure if it’s the pixel setting I can’t find or one of the adjustments for motion countered something I read somewhere. Regardless, thanks for the suggestions. I saw enough tonight to make me feel much happier with what I saw with football. For what it’s worth, hockey looks great. I try not to look for things but it looks good.


Thanks
panfan7 is offline  
post #5080 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 02:19 AM
Member
 
EtherMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys, quick question about an issue with the X900F that i keep seeing everywhere but on here on this fourm for some reason.... Which is HDR brightness in game mode, Dolby Vision Brightness, and HDR brightness in general.


Here is my situation...


I was in the market to get the 75" Q7FN but Best Buy is out of them for the next Month, but they do have the 75" X900F in stock. At the moment i have the 75" Q6FN and was simply lookng to upgrade, mainly for brightness with HDR content, as i feel the Q6 is not as bright as i would like. On RTINGS and other review sites, it shows the HDR brightness of the X900F much better then the Q6 i currently own. Now here is the problem. While researching the X900F i found many, many posts were people who own the 900F are saying the HDR is horribly dim, especially in game mode and even worse for Dolby Vision.

Do these people just have defective sets, or are they not calibrating properly? I see little to no complaints on this forum, but many elsewhere. Can this maybe because some people are using external boxes for their NetFlix/Amazon/HDR viewing as opposed to using Sony's in-house Android system within the TV?

I can always wait a Month for the Q7, but i do hear great things about the X900F and i am very tempted to pick one up, just wondering why there are so many contradictions with this model? Thx in advance, $3000 is alot of money, just want to make sure i make the right decision here.


Here is a thread on REDDIT where many are saying that Dolby Vision and HDR gaming is simply abysmal. There are more of these aswel.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...ampf=undefined


Here is another stickly about Dolby Vision being super dim...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...n_is_terrible/

Last edited by EtherMagic; 12-11-2018 at 02:37 AM.
EtherMagic is offline  
post #5081 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Correct. Sony has its own Dolby Vision "profile". John Archer, tech writer for Forbes has written useful articles to explain it. The Sony DV is still useful but it's added complexity to the entire Dolby Vision landscape.

Link:


https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#476b0b884539
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #5082 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
I don't game so I can't address that area. For TV content in DV we have no issues that are related to the 900F. Some shows are dark, like Ozark, but that is the directors choice. The majority of the shows we have watched look fantastic. A lot has to do how the TV is setup. These days smart TVs have so many settings it is mind boggling to many users. Additionally, then you have the numerous settings for the streaming devices. I would caulk those reported problems up to ignorance. Check out the numerous Netflix shows in DV.

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is online now  
post #5083 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello folks, long time reader, first time poster. Received my 65X900F a few days ago and am debating exchanging it, but I thought I would get a few opinions here first. I watch a ton of hockey. Previous TV was a Vizio M60-C3 which suffered from horrible DSE. In buying the X900F, I thought DSE would be a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, that was not meant to be. I have noticed that the X900F (mine at least) is not perfectly uniform. Granted, it is night and day better than the Vizio, but I still see it a fair bit and it irritates me. I HATE DSE and perceive it quite easily on that white sheet of ice. Hockey always seems to make it much more obvious.

I'm wondering if maybe the TV was mishandled during delivery as there was a hole in the box. After a quick inspection, everything looked good, but I'm wondering if maybe the mishandling of the TV may have caused some of the issues I am seeing (i.e. TV fell over).

My questions:

1) Is it normal to see some DSE on this panel?
2) Do any of you have perfectly uniform (grey uniformity) panels with no DSE?
3) Should I return it and try my luck at the panel lottery?

The TV is otherwise fantastic and am quite happy with every other aspect. Just curious on your opinions.

Thank you.
This TV is great but no TV can make miracles when the signal is crap. I watch a lot of hockey and depending on games, sources, etc, the quality varies. It depends on so many variables but most of the time, they are outside of this TV control. There is no way around it, for sports, if you have a large 4K TV, unless the broadcasting is in 4K, you will not get perfect results and this has nothing to do with LED, QLED or OLED. It's all about upscalling and from the information we habe, This TV has one of the best on the market right now so let you TV do the upscalling and you can tweak a few settings but it won't don't expect miracles. I come from a HD, 46" where I thought my HD broadcasting was great and when I bought this TV, thought it looked horrible. A few tweaks later, it's acceptable but I know it's not the TV's fault. The Rest is amazing (gaming, movies, netflix, etc) so clearly, content is key here.

Regarding DSE, I have not notice any on my 65". I did watch a few hockey games and it has not caught my attention. I ran the youtube DSE test (the one with a hockey player drawn and moving on screen) and didn't notice any in there but I looked at this video for 1 minute top.

Only thing I notice on my TV, but this is common on FALD, is that my corners are a little darker but it's noticeable only on very bright, full color screens (typically, the end of a TV commercial where they have a full single color on screen with there logo, etc). In real content, I don't notice it so I can live with that very easily.
Guibs is offline  
post #5084 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by panfan7 View Post
Thanks for the info.I noticed a huge Improvement tonight watching espn for MNF..perhaps direct tv was just clearer tonight but the picture was light years better than Sunday ticket NFL and local cbs/fox, via direct tv yesterday. Is espn typically better? Where does one select full pixel for input? I’m not seeing it anywhere. Unfortunately, I made my my image more grainy and less clear.. not sure if it’s the pixel setting I can’t find or one of the adjustments for motion countered something I read somewhere. Regardless, thanks for the suggestions. I saw enough tonight to make me feel much happier with what I saw with football. For what it’s worth, hockey looks great. I try not to look for things but it looks good.


Thanks
Tweaking the settings can make a big difference but you also need to run these panels for 25-50 hours to burn in the electronics. Too many people turn them on out of the box and don’t give the panel time to burn in. Then magically 50 hours later they look great. The very first time I watched Monday night football, the KC, Rams game, I was super impressed, thought the picture was stunning. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #5085 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
I don't game so I can't address that area. For TV content in DV we have no issues that are related to the 900F. Some shows are dark, like Ozark, but that is the directors choice. The majority of the shows we have watched look fantastic. A lot has to do how the TV is setup. These days smart TVs have so many settings it is mind boggling to many users. Additionally, then you have the numerous settings for the streaming devices. I would caulk those reported problems up to ignorance. Check out the numerous Netflix shows in DV.
It suprising sometimes how dark the TV can get even when the brightness on this TV is set to MAX on default when watching Dolby Vision show and still produce some very good dark.

We're watching the Sabrina Netflix show with my wife and I would recommand everyone to NOT judge your TV based on that show. Many times, there is some hallowing/clouding in portion of the screen and I thought my TV was blooming like mad until I started watching it on two other TV and notice the same thing. It's an effect the Director added to the show. There is indeed some blooming on the black bars at time but with bias lighting (I'm using a Philips Hue lightstrip plus), the effect is diminish enough that I don't have to worrying to much about it.
Guibs is offline  
post #5086 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Member
 
KChinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Carlisle Ohio
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Tweaking the settings can make a big difference but you also need to run these panels for 25-50 hours to burn in the electronics. Too many people turn them on out of the box and don’t give the panel time to burn in. Then magically 50 hours later they look great. The very first time I watched Monday night football, the KC, Rams game, I was super impressed, thought the picture was stunning. Regards. Ned.
This could be my problem as the TV is in the basement and probably only has about 10 hours of use on it max.

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
KChinn is offline  
post #5087 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Sharp45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
My guess is that most owners are using DV at least to some extent.
I have two X900Fs, a 65 and an 85. They both have Apple TV 4k and Sony Blu-ray (UBP-X700) that work with Dolby Vision just fine (the 85" through a Marantz SR7013 to HDMI2, for Dolby Atmos decoding). I have an Xbox One X and PS 4 Pro connected to that 85" too, and they seem to do HDR just fine.

I wish I could dynamically turn OFF Dolby Vision, though, because streaming SDR content through the Apple TV 4k in DV mode sometimes looks crappy. <sigh>

I use a Control4 remote system for both, and it would be great if the X900F serial driver had more functionality (e.g., ability to select more picture modes directly or disable/enable DV, etc.).

—————
Sony X900F (x2), Marantz SR7013, Sonos Beam, 9.1 speakers (4 in-ceiling), Xbox One X, PS 4 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, Sony UDP-X700, Nintendo Switch, TiVo
Sharp45 is offline  
post #5088 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,426
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2190 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp45 View Post
I have two X900Fs, a 65 and an 85. They both have Apple TV 4k and Sony Blu-ray (UBP-X700) that work with Dolby Vision just fine (the 85" through a Marantz SR7013 to HDMI2, for Dolby Atmos decoding). I have an Xbox One X and PS 4 Pro connected to that 85" too, and they seem to do HDR just fine.

I wish I could dynamically turn OFF Dolby Vision, though, because streaming SDR content through the Apple TV 4k in DV mode sometimes looks crappy. <sigh>

I use a Control4 remote system for both, and it would be great if the X900F serial driver had more functionality (e.g., ability to select more picture modes directly or disable/enable DV, etc.).
You can dynamically control DV on the ATV4K. Set your default resolution on the ATV to 4K SDR, and enable matching frame rate and matching range. DV will automatically kick in whenever you are playing DV content.
Sharp45 likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #5089 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by panfan7 View Post
Thanks for the info.I noticed a huge Improvement tonight watching espn for MNF..perhaps direct tv was just clearer tonight but the picture was light years better than Sunday ticket NFL and local cbs/fox, via direct tv yesterday. Is espn typically better? Where does one select full pixel for input? I’m not seeing it anywhere. Unfortunately, I made my my image more grainy and less clear.. not sure if it’s the pixel setting I can’t find or one of the adjustments for motion countered something I read somewhere. Regardless, thanks for the suggestions. I saw enough tonight to make me feel much happier with what I saw with football. For what it’s worth, hockey looks great. I try not to look for things but it looks good.


Thanks

For full pixel


Home
Settings
Picture & Display
screen
- wide mode - full
- auto wide - off
- 4:3 default - off (should be grayed out)
- auto display area - off

- display area - press select

- full pixel


I also noticed the Black Frame Insertion helps with motion blur, use setting '1' - '2 or 3' reduces the brightness too much and I can't see the difference with respect to motion blur.
- 'Motionflow' setting to 'Custom' and increase the 'Smoothness' slider (mine is set to '2'. The 'Clearness' slider (set to '1') controls the image flicker control (BFI) of the TV. This will reduce the brightness so you may want to bump that up - I have it at '15'. Contrast '90'.


Enjoy.
Dchak likes this.
mhecht13 is offline  
post #5090 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Member
 
KChinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Carlisle Ohio
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Do you have to be showing a 1080 source to put into full pixel? seems I remember reading that here. How can I tell what the my current source is again?

Family Room: Sony XBR75X940C, Denon AVR-3312CI, DirecTv HR-44, Sony PS4, Sony BDP-S590, Monster Power HTS 3600 MKII, Def Tech BP 2002 towers, Def Tech CS-8080HD center channel, Def Tech UIW RCS II Reference In Ceiling Surrounds - Game Room: Sony XBR55850C, Sony KDL-46HX850 (on Golden Tee Live Home Edition) Arachnid Galaxy 3 Dart Machine - Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W900A - Living Room: Sony KDS-R60XBR1 - Patio: Def Tech AW6500
KChinn is offline  
post #5091 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Sharp45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
This tv tilts back?
Yes. My 85" is on a (about 24" high) stand and it has a very noticeable lean backward. Super, mega annoying, especially when sitting at 9-10 feet away (front row). I really hate that.

—————
Sony X900F (x2), Marantz SR7013, Sonos Beam, 9.1 speakers (4 in-ceiling), Xbox One X, PS 4 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, Sony UDP-X700, Nintendo Switch, TiVo
Sharp45 is offline  
post #5092 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Member
 
PokerJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.

So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.

I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.

Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Auto (24p Sync)
Brightness: 30
Color: 55
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 85
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: High

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 2
Live Color: Med

--Adv Color temperature
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: 1
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: -7

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low
christoofar, Tag66 and Swoosh830 like this.
PokerJedi is offline  
post #5093 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Member
 
homerhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post
So I'm officially joining the X900F owner club. Received my 65" yesterday from Best Buy after buying it on black Friday. I'm coming off a 46" and my seating distance is about 9 feet so the difference is massive. Yeah, some of you would probably say I should have gone with a 75", but I'm going through baby steps here. It's still almost a 20" upgrade from my previous TV so it's still a massive improvement.
For those who cares, I'm using a Yamaha RX-a780 receiver (upgraded 2 weeks ago from a RX-a820 since this one was not supported full badwidth for 4K and HDR). Connecting to the TV using HDMI3.

I'm still playing around with the settings. Started with RTINGS settings and made some adjustment. First one was to switch away from expert 1 to just warm colour. I thought expert 1 was just too yellowish while warm seems like a good place for me. Bump the colours to 55. Here are some impressions:

- Screen: So far, I've run some DSE YouTube video and have not noticed any. I'm also not seeing clouding but I do have local dimming on. I do notice that the corners are a little darker but it's only noticeable on a full white screen so I'm not really worried about this. No dead pixel noticed either so I think I got a good panel but I'll keep monitoring.

- Cable TV content is hit and miss. For sure, the fact that I'm moving from a 46" to 65" and form HD to 4K will expose a lot more the fault in the signal. You can clearly see some channel or shows being better than others. As others have recommended, I've locked my STB box to 1080i and use Full pixel mapping and the results are better. Still playing around with brightness, motion flow settings and colours. Watched some hockey last night and this is where I could see the biggest impact of the lower resolution broadcast. It was clearly some 720p content.

- 4k content: so I went, changed the settings on my apple TV 4k to have proper 4k content and enable HDR (didn't enough dolby vision yet) and started some movies I own on itunes that are 4K HDR. So far, the picture seems excellent. Need to spend more time but so far it looks promising.

- Blooming: OK let's talk about the elephant in the room. Yep, it's there. It's even there in full-screen content although it's noticeable if you know what to look for. I use bias lighting (have a Philips hue led strip in the back of the TV) so the blooming in the black bar is for sure far less noticeable. At some point, this TV is so bright that light content on dark surround will always create a "hallow" effect, something even noticeable on OLED, so it's hard at time if what I'm seeing in full-screen content is actually blooming or just standard hallowing. More tests need to be done but watching the First Martian last night in HDR, I wasn't much distracted by the black bar blooming unless I was looking for it.

- HDR Gaming: OK this one is hit-or-miss but mostly depending on content. As many have said, Read dead redemption 2 is just so disappointing. Then I started Battlefield V and was playing on a daylight map and OMG it was gorgeous (playing with PS4 pro). Then I went back to try NHL 19 and it looked amazing. Then powered on Horizon zero dawn and it was during the night at a camp and the picture was just amazing. Then I tried Fallout 76 and, well even 4K and HDR can't save this horrible engine so I won't go much into detail. But so far HDR gaming looks amazing. I was worried with black in HDR as my initial attempts had all my black looked grey but I'm not sure if it's a combination of some settings or just the TV warming up but at the end, Black levels were great. input lag wise, I can see a small improvement with this TV with 4k content (24ms) VS my previous TV, an XBR46X850 that has input lag at around 33ms. So I'm pleased on that side. Really appreciate the bigger size TV here since in most game, I was sometimes struggling to find opponents and aim because others players were so small.
Welcome to the family! I’ve had a 65” for about 2 weeks now. Still trying to get it dialed in. Many minors settings to play with than previous sets.

Could you please explain what you mean by full pixel mapping when watching cable? I’ve been playing around with my stb settings. Went with 1080i native but found that using the 1080p upscale on my Xfinity box produced a better picture at the tv. Is there any actual upscaling settings on the tv or is it just something that happens with the display rate of the panel?
Thanks!
homerhd is offline  
post #5094 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Welcome to the family! I’ve had a 65” for about 2 weeks now. Still trying to get it dialed in. Many minors settings to play with than previous sets.

Could you please explain what you mean by full pixel mapping when watching cable? I’ve been playing around with my stb settings. Went with 1080i native but found that using the 1080p upscale on my Xfinity box produced a better picture at the tv. Is there any actual upscaling settings on the tv or is it just something that happens with the display rate of the panel?
Thanks!
it's a setting on your TV HDMI that is only available if you feed your TV less than 4k signal. Someone explains exactly where that setting is in a post just a few from this one: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57253936
Guibs is offline  
post #5095 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6863 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmiller View Post
Yeh, I guess I finally got lucky. The only other issue I've had with it is one dead pixel (which you literally have to smash your face against the screen to even see it). So, I can live with that.
I know it may be hard to except, enjoy that TV then
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #5096 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
[QUOTE=EtherMagic;57252648]
Here is a thread on REDDIT where many are saying that Dolby Vision and HDR gaming is simply abysmal. There are more of these aswel.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...ampf=undefined


The first two posts saying they have XDR on low :facepalm:
ocat is offline  
post #5097 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi folks, I was one of several users that switched from Vizio P to Sony X900F due to the DSE issue. Now I owned the Sony for a few weeks, I can say the PQ of this panel is amazing and without issues. Though one thing I missed from the Vizio is the audio passthrough. Vizio is able to passthrough DTS and DD from my HDMI device (a Mi Box to be specific) connected to the TV to the sound bar that connected via ARC. With the Sony TV, the ARC output seems always being DD, no DTS. The only way I can see DTS passthrough is via sony's own video app or apps with "PCM Hack", which works quite unstably. Did I missed a setting to passthrough DTS from HDMI device, or it is just not possible? It also seems to me the TV is doing transcoding to DD for the audio from HDMI, because there are 0.2 second lag compares to the video. With the Vizio TV, I do not remember there is such lag.

Let me know your experience on audio passthrough from HDMI port, thanks!
Tao Chen is offline  
post #5098 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Tao, I get DD+ via ARC from the 900F to my Marantz AVR. It passes a Lossy Dolby Atmos when available. I don't recall if there as a setting that needed to be enabled for DD+. I only recall setting DD+ up on my Amazon 4K Stick.
Tao Chen likes this.

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is online now  
post #5099 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question

Finally got my 75X900F installed on Saturday. Still playing around with the settings, but so far so good One thing I noticed is that playing Incredibles 2 in UHD on the TV's native Amazon Prime Video app, the letter box bars are very grey and the picture isn't great, but when I switch to the Amazon Prime Video app on my Apple TV 4K, it looks fantastic, with dark black letter box bars. I kept hearing that the native apps were the best for streaming and wondered if anyone else has seen something like this or if there's a way to fix it. I don't mind watching on my Apple TV, but from all I've read I expected more from the native app. Thanks!
Dchak is offline  
post #5100 of 10434 Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 6,772
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I'm glad that Sony is still making 49" versions of their upper mid-range TVs
EscapeVelocity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off