2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4430Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5101 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
Tao, I get DD+ via ARC from the 900F to my Marantz AVR. It passes a Lossy Dolby Atmos when available. I don't recall if there as a setting that needed to be enabled for DD+. I only recall setting DD+ up on my Amazon 4K Stick.


Thanks man! Have you managed to pass through DTS? DD+ and DD seem to be fine, but I can’t get DTS to work. I miss the amber indicator light... Your Amazon stick is on TV? Why not on AVR? Have you experienced any sound delay when playing video via your Amazon Stick?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tao Chen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5102 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchak View Post
Finally got my 75X900F installed on Saturday. Still playing around with the settings, but so far so good One thing I noticed is that playing Incredibles 2 in UHD on the TV's native Amazon Prime Video app, the letter box bars are very grey and the picture isn't great, but when I switch to the Amazon Prime Video app on my Apple TV 4K, it looks fantastic, with dark black letter box bars. I kept hearing that the native apps were the best for streaming and wondered if anyone else has seen something like this or if there's a way to fix it. I don't mind watching on my Apple TV, but from all I've read I expected more from the native app. Thanks!


The grey letterbox is very annoying on almost all the video apps for the Sony TV. This is why I’m not using Kodi with it. MrMC does not have grey letterbox issue but is has other issues such as audio delay.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tao Chen is offline  
post #5103 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.



So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.



I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.



Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.


Please don’t follow anything Quantum Apotheosis suggests, he makes out like he’s an expert on all things display wise but really he’s just a clickbait menace who deletes comments on his videos to suit his agenda. His attacks on Vincent is just dirty pool imo.

Just check out his most recent vid on the BEST hdr setting for the Q8. Dynamic mode, color +25 and auto motion plus on max! I mean geez even blind Freddy could see this wouldn’t look right
ocat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5104 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Chen View Post
Thanks man! Have you managed to pass through DTS? DD+ and DD seem to be fine, but I can’t get DTS to work. I miss the amber indicator light... Your Amazon stick is on TV? Why not on AVR? Have you experienced any sound delay when playing video via your Amazon Stick?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't say I have tried DTS. With the Vizio I could not get the TV to hsndshack with my Marantz AVR very well. It would take upwards of 45 sec and sometimes not at all so I plugged it into the TV. Did the same when I returned the Vizio for the Sony. ARC works great for me and I am not missing any audio capabilities as the is no lossless audio streams. I di have my Blu-Ray plugged into the AVR. No issues with sound delay, except one time with the Hulu Live app, but that was a Hulu problem that soon rectified itself.

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is offline  
post #5105 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Member
 
PokerJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
Please don’t follow anything Quantum Apotheosis suggests, he makes out like he’s an expert on all things display wise but really he’s just a clickbait menace who deletes comments on his videos to suit his agenda. His attacks on Vincent is just dirty pool imo.

Just check out his most recent vid on the BEST hdr setting for the Q8. Dynamic mode, color +25 and auto motion plus on max! I mean geez even blind Freddy could see this wouldn’t look right
I agree about his "calibrations". I haven't really poked around on his channel, but my goal was to just look at what the different recommendations were from different sources. His game mode settings were awful.
PlanetAVS likes this.
PokerJedi is offline  
post #5106 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KoRn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.



So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.



I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.



Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.


Please don’t follow anything Quantum Apotheosis suggests, he makes out like he’s an expert on all things display wise but really he’s just a clickbait menace who deletes comments on his videos to suit his agenda. His attacks on Vincent is just dirty pool imo.

Just check out his most recent vid on the BEST hdr setting for the Q8. Dynamic mode, color +25 and auto motion plus on max! I mean geez even blind Freddy could see this wouldn’t look right
Sadly this con artist has a following on YouTube. Pretty amazing when you think how many believe the garbage.
KoRn is offline  
post #5107 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Member
 
xinunix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
I agree about his "calibrations". I haven't really poked around on his channel, but my goal was to just look at what the different recommendations were from different sources. His game mode settings were awful.
His game mode settings were awful, including the suggestion to turn off HDR for gaming. I know it has some issues but part of the reason I got this TV and an Xbox One X was to experience HDR gaming.

For me, his TV settings after tweaking pretty close to the tweaks the other poster suggested did give me a picture that had the pop I was looking for, just a little brighter and more vibrant colors than the cinema mode settings I have been using. I got those to where I like them, but anytime I toggle between those two and the one I setup with his, I seem to consistently choose his settings (mostly I think this pertains to the color settings).
PokerJedi likes this.
xinunix is offline  
post #5108 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Someone here use this tv for console gaming like xbox one x or ps4 pro?
AleStrife is online now  
post #5109 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Member
 
homerhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.

So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.

I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.

Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Auto (24p Sync)
Brightness: 30
Color: 55
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 85
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: High

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 2
Live Color: Med

--Adv Color temperature
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: 1
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: -7

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low
Thanks for posting your settings. If I may ask, what are you using for motion settings?
homerhd is offline  
post #5110 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried the hockey dse video on YouTube and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary? Is it because I'm colorblind or I just have a decent panel? What other tests are there to check on how good the panel is? Just saw about vertical or horizontal banding.. is there a test for that also?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
Someone here use this tv for console gaming like xbox one x or ps4 pro?
Xbox one x here..
MagnumMafia05 is offline  
post #5111 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Member
 
homerhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhecht13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by panfan7 View Post
Thanks for the info.I noticed a huge Improvement tonight watching espn for MNF..perhaps direct tv was just clearer tonight but the picture was light years better than Sunday ticket NFL and local cbs/fox, via direct tv yesterday. Is espn typically better? Where does one select full pixel for input? I’m not seeing it anywhere. Unfortunately, I made my my image more grainy and less clear.. not sure if it’s the pixel setting I can’t find or one of the adjustments for motion countered something I read somewhere. Regardless, thanks for the suggestions. I saw enough tonight to make me feel much happier with what I saw with football. For what it’s worth, hockey looks great. I try not to look for things but it looks good.


Thanks

For full pixel


Home
Settings
Picture & Display
screen
- wide mode - full
- auto wide - off
- 4:3 default - off (should be grayed out)
- auto display area - off

- display area - press select

- full pixel


I also noticed the Black Frame Insertion helps with motion blur, use setting '1' - '2 or 3' reduces the brightness too much and I can't see the difference with respect to motion blur.
- 'Motionflow' setting to 'Custom' and increase the 'Smoothness' slider (mine is set to '2'. The 'Clearness' slider (set to '1') controls the image flicker control (BFI) of the TV. This will reduce the brightness so you may want to bump that up - I have it at '15'. Contrast '

Enjoy.
Just curious,
what you have CineMotion set to?
homerhd is offline  
post #5112 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Tag66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.

So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.

I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.

Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Auto (24p Sync)
Brightness: 30
Color: 55
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 85
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: High

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 2
Live Color: Med

--Adv Color temperature
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: 1
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: -7

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low
Thanks for the settings! I tried them and like them so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
EscapeVelocity and PokerJedi like this.
Tag66 is offline  
post #5113 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Member
 
PokerJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Sorry, didn’t realize I didn’t copy all my settings. Here are the rest.

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: Custom [Min (for now), Clearness 1]
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto
PokerJedi is offline  
post #5114 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Tag66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hitting a strange issue that hopefully someone can chime in on, though it most likely isn't the TV.
I have a fairly simple setup. Yamaha 5810 taking inputs from Samsung cable box, Xbox, PS3 -- all HDMI. And HDMI out going to TV (HDMI 3 ARC so I can get audio from the Sony native apps). I use a Harmony remote to manage everything. It seems every day when I go to watch cable TV, the display resolution shows 480i when it should be 1080i. I assume it's some handshake issue, but stopping and starting the cable box doesn't change anything, nor does stopping or starting any other combination of STB, AVR, or TV. I even tried changing inputs by switching to Xbox and back to cable TV. Still 480i. The only way I've found to get back to 1080i is to go into the STB settings, switch output resolution to 720p, then back to 1080i, and then my TV will show the clear 1080i connection. If I then turn off everything and back on, it stays 1080i, even after some time. But it seems if I go overnight or an extended period of time, when I start everything again it will by 480i. Does this sound crazy?
Tag66 is offline  
post #5115 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Member
 
xinunix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
Someone here use this tv for console gaming like xbox one x or ps4 pro?
Yes, I use Xbox One X
xinunix is offline  
post #5116 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Just curious,
what you have CineMotion set to?

CineMotion - off


Brightness
- brightness 15
- contrast 90
- gamma 0
- black level 50
- black adjust off
- adv contrast enhancer off
- auto local dimming low
- X-tended dynamic range low


Color
- color 50
- hue 0
- expert 1
- live color off


Clarity
- reality creation off
- random noise reduction auto
- digital noise reduction auto



This was a black Friday special so I've only had the X900F for a couple of weeks. I'll probably mess around with these settings as time goes bye.
PokerJedi likes this.
mhecht13 is offline  
post #5117 of 9976 Old 12-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post
I have this exact same issue/frustration but my source is 1080p coming from Directv upscaled to 4k by the xbox one x.

I only get 1080i from Directv and 720P from Comcast. What does the 'display' key on the remote show when the Directv STB is connected directly to an HDMI port?
mhecht13 is offline  
post #5118 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 AM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMafia05 View Post

Xbox one x here..
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post
Yes, I use Xbox One X
Ok,
What settings do you use for gaming ?
I try to understand if this tv refresh always at 120 hz even with a console output at 4k 60 hz or not.
I'm afraid that this '120 hz' Tvs duplicates frames for match the 120 hz panel..and this with games can cause more duplications in image motion,expecially with 30 fps.
For example,if i active BFI / x-motion clearity,i can see clearly the duplications of image in motion on 60 fps content.
With 30 fps games the image is fourfold in motion.
I know that this tv flicker at 120 hz with BFI,but without BFI i think that all this tv refresh at 120 hz too.
So,if i game has 60 fps ,the panel probably duplicate the frames for a correct match with the panel i think..
With 30 fps the panel quadruples the frame..i think..
So,with 30 fps games i think that the image in motion is very 'blurry/ghosting'.
I usually set all to off in the game mode (motion,reality creation,random noise reduction,digital noise reduction).
For example,with movies we can activate film mode,motionflow,etc and the panel increase much better the fps for matching the content with 120 hz.
But with games is different.
So...play with 30 fps games is good with a 120 hz tv?
It's different from play them with a 60 hz Tv?
It's the same or 120 hz tv adds double of frame and cause more 'blurry/ghosting' image in games?
Or this problem of 'duplications' occurs only if i active x-motion clearity / BFI ?

Last edited by AleStrife; 12-12-2018 at 03:23 AM.
AleStrife is online now  
post #5119 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 147
My signature has what I use for everything including HDR and non HDR gaming. I haven’t noticed any blurring or frame duplication yet across any of my systems. I’ve played WiiU, Switch, Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. I just played a heavy amount of hours in Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition favoring image quality in HDR and thought it was a great experience.

Either it’s setting related for you on your TV, your game systems, you have a faulty TV (unlikely) or you are just more susceptible to it than most people.

I personally don’t see a need for X motion clarity and as such I have motionflow disabled when gaming.
PokerJedi likes this.
acphydro is offline  
post #5120 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Guibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleStrife View Post
Ok,
What settings do you use for gaming ?
I try to understand if this tv refresh always at 120 hz even with a console output at 4k 60 hz or not.
I'm afraid that this '120 hz' Tvs duplicates frames for match the 120 hz panel..and this with games can cause more duplications in image motion,expecially with 30 fps.
For example,if i active BFI / x-motion clearity,i can see clearly the duplications of image in motion on 60 fps content.
With 30 fps games the image is fourfold in motion.
I know that this tv flicker at 120 hz with BFI,but without BFI i think that all this tv refresh at 120 hz too.
So,if i game has 60 fps ,the panel probably duplicate the frames for a correct match with the panel i think..
With 30 fps the panel quadruples the frame..i think..
So,with 30 fps games i think that the image in motion is very 'blurry/ghosting'.
I usually set all to off in the game mode (motion,reality creation,random noise reduction,digital noise reduction).
For example,with movies we can activate film mode,motionflow,etc and the panel increase much better the fps for matching the content with 120 hz.
But with games is different.
So...play with 30 fps games is good with a 120 hz tv?
It's different from play them with a 60 hz Tv?
It's the same or 120 hz tv adds double of frame and cause more 'blurry/ghosting' image in games?
Or this problem of 'duplications' occurs only if i active x-motion clearity / BFI ?
Under no circonstances would you ever want to activate BFI or any motion settings when playing games, espicially online games. Your TV should ideally be set to Game mode. This disabled most processing on the TV and turn of all motion interpolation to make it so you get the lowest input lag possible. Ok I'm a little harsh when I say "under no circonstances". If you are playing a game that doesn't require any fast input or reaction on your part (like some Final Fantasy RPG type game), then yes you can activate them to make mostion less blurry but you will notice input lag delays but it's not has critical in these games so you can live with the delay but get less blurry picture when panning or there are fast movement on screen.

I play on PS4 Pro and play in game mode and I have not noticed any duplications of frames so far. You are right, this TV refresh at 120Hz all the time so I'm guessing it may duplicate some frames (need to research this) but it's not visible on screen at least on my side and the input lag is very respectable for 4K game at something like 24ms.
Guibs is offline  
post #5121 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,736
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6763 Post(s)
Liked: 6768
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
I'm glad that Sony is still making 49" versions of their upper mid-range TVs
You are right, without this set, there really would be no higher ends sets under 55".
EscapeVelocity likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #5122 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Member
 
AleStrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post
Under no circonstances would you ever want to activate BFI or any motion settings when playing games, espicially online games. Your TV should ideally be set to Game mode. This disabled most processing on the TV and turn of all motion interpolation to make it so you get the lowest input lag possible. Ok I'm a little harsh when I say "under no circonstances". If you are playing a game that doesn't require any fast input or reaction on your part (like some Final Fantasy RPG type game), then yes you can activate them to make mostion less blurry but you will notice input lag delays but it's not has critical in these games so you can live with the delay but get less blurry picture when panning or there are fast movement on screen.



I play on PS4 Pro and play in game mode and I have not noticed any duplications of frames so far. You are right, this TV refresh at 120Hz all the time so I'm guessing it may duplicate some frames (need to research this) but it's not visible on screen at least on my side and the input lag is very respectable for 4K game at something like 24ms.

I know that if i active the BFI,the tv flicker at 120 hz with 60 hz content ,so it makes duplications of frame.
I don't know if the tv always refresh at 120 hz or if i use a 'ps4 pro' 60 hz output video content,the tv change his refresh to 60 hz if i NOT active BFI and others motion settings.

Last edited by AleStrife; 12-12-2018 at 10:32 AM.
AleStrife is online now  
post #5123 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just finally set up the TV after the fires out here. We are in a temp space that is pretty small. Using the 65" 900f, a Samsung K950 soundbar and Amazon Fire Cube. No gaming on this set. I did see the notice about not using HDMI1 for anything HDR ( I'll change it tonight) and thanks for the post on calibration. We are in a fairly dark room so that will be helpful. I am going to try and run through all 165 pages of this thread.... but anything else I should be doing right out of the gate? Thanks for the help! I am a total noob when it comes to this set...
PokerJedi likes this.
Yeqon is offline  
post #5124 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So I own a 65 inch LG OLED C8. Love it, but I'm sitting 13 feet away. Bought it for a steal, but thinking about flipping it just to get my payment back and using that money for the 75 inch 900f. I know there's no price talk allowed so I'll avoid specifics, but any thoughts on buying refurb via somewhere like secondipity for dirt cheap, vs BB? Obviously the later is a premium, just wondering what most have done considering the later allows for easier replacements if needed.
Ben Larkins is offline  
post #5125 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
So I own a 65 inch LG OLED C8. Love it, but I'm sitting 13 feet away. Bought it for a steal, but thinking about flipping it just to get my payment back and using that money for the 75 inch 900f. I know there's no price talk allowed so I'll avoid specifics, but any thoughts on buying refurb via somewhere like secondipity for dirt cheap, vs BB? Obviously the later is a premium, just wondering what most have done considering the later allows for easier replacements if needed.
I recently bought a refurb Sony ES receiver from them.

Here is the good.... The unit I received was basically brand new. Outside of the missing manual and different packaging I would challenge anyone to tell the difference.

That said the first shipment I received was packed poorly. They dropped a 40+ lb. $1000+ receiver in a single wall box with not enough dunnage. UPS was the carrier and we all know how they handle packages. Bottom line it showed up damaged in a bad way.

I contacted Secondpity through eBay where I purchased it. Initially I was not satisfied with the response I was getting and then a manager got involved. Boy did he go the extra mile. They sent me a brand new receiver overnight. This one was double boxed and packed nicely. He even called me on the phone to set this all up!

Bottom line I know Best Buy is a safer bet but I would not hesitate to go the other route either.
-otherside- is offline  
post #5126 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Got my 75 today and its looking great so far! Got it on the wall. Minimal to no DSE. All pixels look good.

Just one issue has surfaced so far.... went to the Home menu and tried to install PLEX. That launches the google play signin where it wants me to enter my google account info.

I press signin and then on the screen where I would normally use the up,down, left,right buttons to navigate a onscreen keyboard there is no actual keyboard displayed! So I have no way to enter my signin data. If i press a 1-9 key on the remote that number does appear in the sign-in box so the TV is not frozen. I just have no way to enter Alpha characters.

Any ideas?

Update: did a factory reset and now its working fine. I had been disabling and deleting alot of the bloatware, so i must have somehow toggled something that was preventing the keyboard from displaying.

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290

Last edited by bigtexan999; 12-12-2018 at 09:33 PM.
bigtexan999 is offline  
post #5127 of 9976 Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Member
 
WaterBottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quick, hopefully easy question.

I have a 75” 900F with the following three devices going directly into the tv, each used for a different purposes:

PS4 Pro - only for video games

Sony UBP X800 - only for blu ray discs (both 1080 and 4K HDR)

Nvidia Shield - only for streaming (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, and locally for Plex)

I would like the ability to display 4K/HDR content from each device, with the caveat that I only need to use each device for the respective purposes listed above.

Is this possible on the tv? I thought I understood that only ports 2 and 3 supported 4K/HDR, but I recently saw a reddit post from one of the guys at rtings.com saying you can get 4K/HDR content through all four ports, but that 2 and 3 are required for HDR content at 60hz.

Is that correct? Does that mean that I should put the X800 on port 1 or 4 and the PS4 and Shield on ports 2 and 3? If I do this, will I get 4K/HDR from the X800 on port 1 or 4?

Can someone give me some guidance on this?
WaterBottle is offline  
post #5128 of 9976 Old 12-13-2018, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBottle View Post

Is this possible on the tv? I thought I understood that only ports 2 and 3 supported 4K/HDR, but I recently saw a reddit post from one of the guys at rtings.com saying you can get 4K/HDR content through all four ports, but that 2 and 3 are required for HDR content at 60hz.

Is that correct? Does that mean that I should put the X800 on port 1 or 4 and the PS4 and Shield on ports 2 and 3? If I do this, will I get 4K/HDR from the X800 on port 1 or 4?

Yes. It has been discussed numerous times. It is even in the last few pages. Read through them.
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #5129 of 9976 Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 AM
Member
 
WaterBottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
[QUOTE=Coercion Shaman;57264552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBottle View Post

Yes. It has been discussed numerous times. It is even in the last few pages. Read through them.
So, you’re saying that I will get 4K/HDR from the X800 on ports 1 and 4? Just wanting to clarify.

Can you point me to the other posts about the issue? I tried looking through a few pages of posts, but there’s like 5,000 posts and the search function doesn’t work well on a phone.
WaterBottle is offline  
post #5130 of 9976 Old 12-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 230
[quote=WaterBottle;57264812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post

So, you’re saying that I will get 4K/HDR from the X800 on ports 1 and 4? Just wanting to clarify.

Can you point me to the other posts about the issue? I tried looking through a few pages of posts, but there’s like 5,000 posts and the search function doesn’t work well on a phone.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57248964


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57251016
Coercion Shaman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off