2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4664Likes

post #5191 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Yes - A Dolby Atmos soundbar but...

(From the K950 Setup Guide)

Speaker connectivity
• Dolby Atmos sound can only be decoded via HDMI at the TV side. Use HDMI with ARC to connect.
• Blu-Ray player needs to be connected to the soundbar and the settings
should be changed via the following steps: Blu-Ray Player Settings
Menu > Sound > Digital Output > Bitstream (unprocessed).

The Sony 900F does not decode Dolby Atmos from the TV.
Exactly. USE HDMI with ARC to connnect

It works. Try it. If it didn't work then how would Netflix ATMOS be outputted from the internal app?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	netflix atmos.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2496878  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Exactly. USE HDMI with ARC to connnect

It works. Try it. If it didn't work then how would Netflix ATMOS be outputted from the internal app?

For me, Netflix Atmos is ONLY available via Dolby Vision and the accompanying DD+ (with lossy Dolby Atmos (compressed) transport) via ARC (to my AVR and then to my speaker system.)

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #5193 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes - A Dolby Atmos soundbar but...

(From the K950 Setup Guide)

Speaker connectivity
• Dolby Atmos sound can only be decoded via HDMI at the TV side. Use HDMI with ARC to connect.
• Blu-Ray player needs to be connected to the soundbar and the settings
should be changed via the following steps: Blu-Ray Player Settings
Menu > Sound > Digital Output > Bitstream (unprocessed).

The Sony 900F does not decode Dolby Atmos from the TV. If you are using internal apps - - you can get Dolby Atmos via ARC to your AVR and then out to your soundbar or speaker system. Is it possible to run HDMI out from the Fire Cube to HDMI "In" - 1,2 or 4 of the Sony 900F and then HDMI (3) out from the Sony TV to the soundbar? That way - - the processing should take place at the Fire Cube with Dolby Atmos via internal apps AND the Fire Cube itself?

It sure would be easier if the soundbar decoded Dolby Atmos - - that would be the best solution.
Quote:
For me, Netflix Atmos is ONLY available via Dolby Vision and the accompanying DD+ (with lossy Dolby Atmos (compressed) transport) via ARC (to my AVR and then to my speaker system.)
Ok I re-read his original post I misunderstood what he was asking. I thought he couldn't get ATMOS to work at all but he is only having problems with ATMOS via ARC. If the soundbar only supports ATMOS via its own HDMI inputs (where he would connect the Cube), then he won't be able to get ATMOS from the TV unless he switches to an AVR config or another ATMOS soundbar that supports ATMOS via ARC. And as he suggested in one of his earlier posts, this is a limitation of his soundbar and not the TV or the Cube.

Connecting the Cube directly to the 900F and then trying to pass it via ARC to the soundbar won't help, since the limitation is with the soundbar. He'll still get DD+ or whatever sound mode the soundbar supports via ARC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5194 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hdmi 2

Got my 900F today and I'm hooking up some things and I am wondering if there is a way to tell if my HDMI right angle connectors are HDMI version 2 or does it matter? I am using new version 2 cables but have ndo way to verify if the rt. angle connectors are ver 2.

Hugh Campbell

Last edited by HughScot; 12-14-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: correction
post #5195 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7053
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post
Got my 900F today and I'm hooking up some things and I am wondering if there is a way to tell if my HDMI right angle connectors are HDMI version 2 or does it matter? I am using new version 2 cables but have ndo way to verify if the rt. angle connectors are ver 2.
Does not matter as long as everything play right So try them out.....
post #5196 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Just received delivery of the 85". Wife is thrilled. Nuff said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5197 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I've noticed a quirk with the built in netflix app buffering/internet speed detection being flawed. But here is interesting thing, it's certain titles. For example, I can watch Frontier in 4k and it'll stay 4k entire episode. Yes I have bandwidth display on and yes bandwidth is within my internet speed ability. However, if I switch to Travelers (the new season 3). It'll jump between 720, 1080p, 1440, 2160p then back down to 720, and repeat this on literal loop the ENTIRETY of show. Thing is, even at 2160p it's well under my internet bandwidth, yet it's acting like there is a bandwidth issue and constantly dropping to lower resolutions to catch the buffer up. I've already ruled out that it actually is something else sapping bandwidth because i literally went back and forth between frontier and travelers, 3x. No issues on frontier, stays at 4k within bandwidth. Travelers, acts like I'm on dial up or something because it's having serious issues keeping 4k buffer full.

Here is the only difference. Travelers is DV and Frontier isn't. Keep in mind that when travelers is is playing at 2160p (for the short bursts before it decides to drop to 720p), i'm well within my internet bandwidth and it should not be having trouble keeping buffer full. So this has to be a bug with DV content and built in netflix app. Now, To be honest, with how good the tvs upscaling is and sitting 10 feet away from a 55 inch, if i turn display hud off and not know what current output resolution is, my eyes won't really notice when it's at 1080 or 1440p but when it's at 720p it's definitely triggering.
post #5198 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichaels View Post
Thus far I have seen a very few calibration settings for this TV.

I understand each TV is slightly different and needs to be calibrated individually, however these TV's are know for the color uniformity out of the box with a few adjustments. I have looked at RTINGS, including many you tube videos from Quantum etc. however I question some of those settings.

My set up is basically a Sony X700 Blu Ray, Sony 65" 900F, Marantz Sr 7012 for AVR passthrough. I am mostly interested in Movies in 4K and Dolby Vision.

Question:
Anyone else like to share what Sony TV calibration settings work for you and why. Looking for mainly usage of movies. MotionFlow On/Off etc? My kids will also play games on this TV but mainly for movies. Appreciate it.
I've only had my 75-900F for one day but I'm pretty satisfied with the Rtngs settings so far. The only change is that I have Brightness at 30 in a dark room strictly based on preference. I'll stick with that for now and see how I like it. I'm using the same settings for OTA, HDMI, Apps. I played around with Motionflow and have it off for now.

Key for me was to turn off ambient lighting. It made the picture too dim for my liking, but I'm also coming from a Vizio PQuantum which is a very bright TV.
post #5199 of 10902 Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pleasantly surprised that the internal Youtube app has HDR. Wasn't expecting it as the Rtngs review mentioned that the 900F doesn't have it. Was there a firmware update to add it?
post #5200 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post
I just got an XBR65900F, my first smart TV and I need some help getting my video files on my PC Windows 10 to play on the TV. I have an Ethernet cable to the TV from my PC and tried an External 2TB HDD USB with no luck. I was hoping to get rid of my old Mede8er I used before. The TV sees my PC but it can't browse and play my files. I called Sony and he said I need an HDMI cable from PC to TV in order to do this. Is there no way you folks know of I can do this via Ethernet? I hate to run a 35' HDMI cable if I don't have to.

TIA
In Windows 10 network advanced settings enable media streaming. Further in you’ll find every device the PC sees that can be enabled or disabled. Load whatever Windows 10 built in media player is and add all files you want to share to its library. That’s all I had to do when I first got my TV and haven’t had any network playback issues.
William K likes this.
post #5201 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane Bousquet View Post
Got the 65inch version last week. All 4 corners are blacker.. I know this is normal but it is driving me crazy. Do all units do it equal?

Got my 75 yesterday and I noticed it a little bit when I ran a full screen white video from youtube. A tiny bit. But right now I am watching Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 and I cannot see any black corners at all. So, I would say I don’t have this issue during normal viewing. At least I can’t see if from about 3.5 m.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5202 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
In Windows 10 network advanced settings enable media streaming. Further in you’ll find every device the PC sees that can be enabled or disabled. Load whatever Windows 10 built in media player is and add all files you want to share to its library. That’s all I had to do when I first got my TV and haven’t had any network playback issues.
I loaded up a file and this does work fine it's just kind of clunky to get going. I guess it would take some getting used to it. But it is working on a MKV Blu Ray
post #5203 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
Sorry, but this doesn’t make any sense. The source device—TV or other source—doesn’t decode Atmos. It passes it on in a lossless or lossy bitstream to the AVR or sound bar. The TV sends Dolby Digital Plus (including Atmos) to the sound bar using the ARC (audio return channel) capability of HDMI. The HDMI connection is usually used to send video to the display. But the Audio Return Channel can instead be used to send audio from the display to the receiver or sound bar.

The owners manuals for the Samsung K850 and N950 say to make sure that the source device is sending bitstreamed audio rather than audio decoded to PCM. The sound bars decode the audio.
??? - that’s exactly what I’m saying. And the quotation is from the Samsung Setup Guide in that this soundbar model cannot decode the Dolby Atmos stream from the DD+ source. HDMI is video and audio (two way - video to the TV and audio back to your AVR or soundbar.)

As mentioned earlier, the best solution is to have a soundbar that can decode Dolby Atmos. That way, it’s a straight HDMI connection without any hassles.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #5204 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

This question may be in the wrong place but since I'm hooking up a 900F I'll ask here. My soundbar has connections for HDMI and Optical. Is one better than the other?

Hugh Campbell
post #5205 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
I've only had my 75-900F for one day but I'm pretty satisfied with the Rtngs settings so far. The only change is that I have Brightness at 30 in a dark room strictly based on preference. I'll stick with that for now and see how I like it. I'm using the same settings for OTA, HDMI, Apps. I played around with Motionflow and have it off for now.

Key for me was to turn off ambient lighting. It made the picture too dim for my liking, but I'm also coming from a Vizio PQuantum which is a very bright TV.
I agree that the ambient light feature doesn’t work well, too dark, which is a shame, it can be a useful feature if done well. Regards. Ned.
post #5206 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
??? - that’s exactly what I’m saying. And the quotation is from the Samsung Setup Guide in that this soundbar model cannot decode the Dolby Atmos stream from the DD+ source. HDMI is video and audio (two way - video to the TV and audio back to your AVR or soundbar.)

As mentioned earlier, the best solution is to have a soundbar that can decode Dolby Atmos. That way, it’s a straight HDMI connection without any hassles.
Where does it say that? If that were the case, it wouldn't provide ATMOS from any streaming source (Cube, TV, streaming player like Apple TV4K) since all ATMOS via streaming comes from a DD+ source, at least currently.

The soundbar decodes ATMOS. The question is whether ATMOS is supported via ARC connection, or if it is limited to the other HDMI ports on the soundbar as the original poster was informed by Samsung support. If that is the case, nothing he can do but live with DD+ 5.1 or get a different soundbar/AVR setup. If I were @Yeqon , the original poster, I would try the ARC setup to validate if what Samsung support is correct. I've only had the 900F for a day and haven't been able to find a sound setting to specifically enable bitstream output but ATMOS via ARC to an AVR is working for me.
post #5207 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This question may be in the wrong place but since I'm hooking up a 900F I'll ask here. My soundbar has connections for HDMI and Optical. Is one better than the other?
Pros and cons. HDMI supports a higher audio bit rate which means less compression, better sound quality. HDMI also supports ATMOS if your soundbar is capable of it (we were just talking about that above....lol). Connecting via HDMI ARC also means one less cable and less clutter (if you are also connecting other devices to the soundbar, and passing their video through the soundbar). The con is that HDMI ARC can introduce input switching issues, as it requires CEC to be enabled in order to work.

I would recommend trying HDMI ARC and switching to optical if you experience any problems.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-15-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #5208 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where does it say that? If that were the case, it wouldn't provide ATMOS from any streaming source (Cube, TV, streaming player like Apple TV4K) since all ATMOS via streaming comes from a DD+ source, at least currently.

The soundbar decodes ATMOS. The question is whether ATMOS is supported via ARC connection, or if it is limited to the other HDMI ports on the soundbar as the original poster was informed by Samsung support. If that is the case, nothing he can do but live with DD+ 5.1 or get a different soundbar/AVR setup. If I were @Yeqon , the original poster, I would try the ARC setup to validate if what Samsung support is correct. I've only had the 900F for a day and haven't been able to find a sound setting to specifically enable bitstream output but ATMOS via ARC to an AVR is working for me.
No, no, no. The version of the soundbar in question DOES NOT decode Atmos, period. When playing directly from the Fire Cube, the Fire Cube decodes the DD+ stream to Dolby Atmos and then to the sound bar (audio) and TV (video).

As I said before - - I have Dolby Atmos working perfectly, via ARC, with my older AVR (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2) but ONLY with Dolby Vision and the internal apps (Netflix and Amazon Prime.) I do not use VUDU or any other streaming source that purportedly has Dolby Atmos audio.

Home Theater Setup
post #5209 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, no, no. The version of the soundbar in question DOES NOT decode Atmos, period. When playing directly from the Fire Cube, the Fire Cube decodes the DD+ stream to Dolby Atmos and then to the sound bar (audio) and TV (video).

As I said before - - I have Dolby Atmos working perfectly, via ARC, with my older AVR (non HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2) but ONLY with Dolby Vision and the internal apps (Netflix and Amazon Prime.) I do not use VUDU or any other streaming source that purportedly has Dolby Atmos audio.
You are confused. I'm done.
post #5210 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are confused. I'm done.

I won't get in a pissing match with you. I'm only trying to help the original poster. It is you who are confused. Over and out.

***How to get Dolby Atmos with your "Fire Cube" streamer:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-strea...re-tv-devices/

Home Theater Setup

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 12-15-2018 at 09:28 AM.
post #5211 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pros and cons. HDMI supports a higher audio bit rate which means less compression, better sound quality. HDMI also supports ATMOS if your soundbar is capable of it (we were just talking about that above....lol). Connecting via HDMI ARC also means one less cable and less clutter (if you are also connecting other devices to the soundbar, and passing their video through the soundbar). The con is that HDMI ARC can introduce input switching issues, as it requires CEC to be enabled in order to work.

I would recommend trying HDMI ARC and switching to optical if you experience any problems.
Thanks, I just hooked it up via HDMI ARC and can't really see or hear any difference between the optical and HDMI. I thought it seemed strange to take the video signal through the soundbar to the 900f, but it seems to work ok for now. Now I've got to connect my Sony UBP-X700. Saw some 4k last night and it was phenomenal. Used to think 1080p was great back in the day.

Hugh Campbell
post #5212 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I just hooked it up via HDMI ARC and can't really see or hear any difference between the optical and HDMI. I thought it seemed strange to take the video signal through the soundbar to the 900f, but it seems to work ok for now. Now I've got to connect my Sony UBP-X700. Saw some 4k last night and it was phenomenal. Used to think 1080p was great back in the day.
Does your soundbar pass through Dolby Vision? If not, you'll probably want to connect the x700 directly to the TV otherwise you won't get DV from your UHD discs. And connect the 2nd HDMI audio out on the x700 to the soundbar. This will give you the best of both worlds, HDR video and lossless audio.
post #5213 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: "Thanks, I just hooked it up via HDMI ARC and can't really see or hear any difference between the optical and HDMI. I thought it seemed strange to take the video signal through the soundbar to the 900f, but it seems to work ok for now. Now I've got to connect my Sony UBP-X700. Saw some 4k last night and it was phenomenal. Used to think 1080p was great back in the day."

When using a 4K HDR/DV capable player, always connect the video to your TV and the audio to your soundbar UNLESS you have a separate Dolby Atmos speaker system (or even 5.1 for that matter) and an AVR that is HDMI 2.0/HDMI 2.2 compliant (4K HDR (DV some models) for both your 4K/HDR/DV (if capable) video and Dolby Atmos audio. If the latter is the case - - you can use one HDMI connection into the AVR for your 4K Bluray Player (and all other components) with one HDMI out from from your AVR (ARC output capable from your AVR) to the ARC capable HDMI Input of the Sony 900F - - which is HDMI 3.

With your 4K Bluray player - with 4K discs or even non 4K discs that have Dolby Atmos - - you will get fully uncompressed (lossless) audio which is the best audio you can obtain. There is NO lossless (uncompressed) audio from satellite, cable, OTA or any streaming site. The best audio you can get from these sources is DD+ which can also provide Dolby Atmos lossy or compressed, if encoded. This is where ARC comes in for the internal apps on the Sony 900F.

Dolby Digital Plus is capable of the following:

*Coded Bitrate: 0.032 to 6.144 Mbit/s
*Audio Channels: 1.0 to 13.1 (i.e. from mono to 13 full range channels and a low frequency effects channel)
*Number of Audio Programs per bitstream: 8
*Sample Rate: 32, 44.1 or 48 kHz
*Bit Depth: up to 24 bits per channel.

Home Theater Setup

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 12-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #5214 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does your soundbar pass through Dolby Vision? If not, you'll probably want to connect the x700 directly to the TV otherwise you won't get DV from your UHD discs. And connect the 2nd HDMI audio out on the x700 to the soundbar. This will give you the best of both worlds, HDR video and lossless audio.
I don't think my Yamaha YAS-207 will pass through Dolby Vision, at least they don't mention it anywhere. So I'll take your advice. Thanks as I would not have thought about it.

Hugh Campbell
post #5215 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
RE: "Thanks, I just hooked it up via HDMI ARC and can't really see or hear any difference between the optical and HDMI. I thought it seemed strange to take the video signal through the soundbar to the 900f, but it seems to work ok for now. Now I've got to connect my Sony UBP-X700. Saw some 4k last night and it was phenomenal. Used to think 1080p was great back in the day."

When using a 4K HDR/DV capable player, always connect the video to your TV and the audio to your soundbar UNLESS you have a separate Dolby Atmos speaker system (or even 5.1 for that matter) and an AVR that is HDMI 2.0/HDMI 2.2 compliant (4K HDR (DV some models) for both your 4K/HDR/DV (if capable) video and Dolby Atmos audio. If the latter is the case - - you can use one HDMI connection into the AVR for your 4K Bluray Player (and all other components) with one HDMI out from from your AVR (ARC output capable from your AVR) to the ARC capable HDMI Input of the Sony 900F - - which is HDMI 3.

With your 4K Bluray player - with 4K discs or even non 4K discs that have Dolby Atmos - - you will get fully uncompressed (lossless) audio which is the best audio you can obtain. There is NO lossless (uncompressed) audio from satellite, cable, OTA or any streaming site. The best audio you can get from these sources is DD+ which can also provide Dolby Atmos lossy or compressed, if encoded. This is where ARC comes in for the internal apps on the Sony 900F.

Dolby Digital Plus is capable of the following:

*Coded Bitrate: 0.032 to 6.144 Mbit/s
*Audio Channels: 1.0 to 13.1 (i.e. from mono to 13 full range channels and a low frequency effects channel)
*Number of Audio Programs per bitstream: 8
*Sample Rate: 32, 44.1 or 48 kHz
*Bit Depth: up to 24 bits per channel.
Ok, no Atmos Dolby so I'll give that a try. Appreciate all the comments.

Hugh Campbell
post #5216 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think my Yamaha YAS-207 will pass through Dolby Vision, at least they don't mention it anywhere. So I'll take your advice. Thanks as I would not have thought about it.
Dolby Vision is an HDR video specification (adding to HDR10 with metadata) that normally requires "hardware" on the TV side to provide a Dolby Vision picture. That's why the Sony 900E isn't capable of Dolby Vision and the Sony 900F is.

Audio is separate, period. An AVR DV compatible receiver can pass Dolby Vision video content. The audio stream is same Dolby spec, whether that be from Dolby Vision content, HDR content or plain old 1080i or 720p, which is the max resolution you receive from broadcast & cable TV.

Home Theater Setup
post #5217 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post
I've noticed a quirk with the built in netflix app buffering/internet speed detection being flawed. But here is interesting thing, it's certain titles. For example, I can watch Frontier in 4k and it'll stay 4k entire episode. Yes I have bandwidth display on and yes bandwidth is within my internet speed ability. However, if I switch to Travelers (the new season 3). It'll jump between 720, 1080p, 1440, 2160p then back down to 720, and repeat this on literal loop the ENTIRETY of show. Thing is, even at 2160p it's well under my internet bandwidth, yet it's acting like there is a bandwidth issue and constantly dropping to lower resolutions to catch the buffer up. I've already ruled out that it actually is something else sapping bandwidth because i literally went back and forth between frontier and travelers, 3x. No issues on frontier, stays at 4k within bandwidth. Travelers, acts like I'm on dial up or something because it's having serious issues keeping 4k buffer full.

Here is the only difference. Travelers is DV and Frontier isn't. Keep in mind that when travelers is is playing at 2160p (for the short bursts before it decides to drop to 720p), i'm well within my internet bandwidth and it should not be having trouble keeping buffer full. So this has to be a bug with DV content and built in netflix app. Now, To be honest, with how good the tvs upscaling is and sitting 10 feet away from a 55 inch, if i turn display hud off and not know what current output resolution is, my eyes won't really notice when it's at 1080 or 1440p but when it's at 720p it's definitely triggering.
I tested more shows, again they play fine. I ran netflix apps connection test, perfect connection. Wired not wireless. Speed is there. I try travelers again and again it keeps dropping. It even dropped to 480p 0.5Mbit a few times. Sabrina, frontier, DareDevil, and some other random things. I tried played at 2180p at around 9.5-15Mbit. Some dolby Vision some just regular 4k.
Yet travelers can't seem to do that. it ramps up to that, stays there for less than a minute then drops to 480 or 720, and does this on loop the entirety of an episode. I'm hoping someone else here can at least try travelers season 3 on 900Fs netflix internal app and see what the playback does. I really want to watch it but not at 480-720p on a nice 2160p tv.
post #5218 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Cost of HDTV is so cheap today.

I was just looking at a few of my posts from 2001 and noticed I paid $5400 for a Pioneer Elite 520 and just got a 900F for far less. The cost of great video has come way down.
dturturro likes this.

Hugh Campbell
post #5219 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
I just replaced the 42” 1080P LED in my Master BR that I bought at least 10 years ago for $1800 with a TCL 50” 4K LED that cost $300.

Spoiler!
post #5220 of 10902 Old 12-15-2018, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just hooked up my new set this morning and I’m having trouble getting the set to output 5.1 audio to my receiver. It will only output in stereo. I’m using the tv’s internal apps, Vudu, Netflix etc. the tv is connected to my pioneer vsx-90 ave with a toslink opticsl cable. I also tried an hdmi cable using ARC with the same result. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page