2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4432Likes

post #5401 of 9982 Old 12-20-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post
Yes, I saw that pathetic "guide" in the manual related to the IR Blaster. Unfortunately, it says nothing about what to do after setting up the IR blaster. Sony should be ashamed to supply a feeble guide like that with a $1,700 TV. Is there nowhere else to see what can be done with the IR blaster for the STB and how it operates?
Yes, the documentation is a bit lacking. I wish I could help more but again, I dont have a cable box so never set that up. If you hit the help button there is a section on setting up the set top box with the IR blaster. It shows there is a setup wizard. My assumption....judging by how OTA works...would be that the guide would show cable box channels, and the channels info in Discover would also show cable channels. Cant say for sure though. You can also set the TV button to be any external input such as the HDMI of the cable box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 9982 Old 12-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Ig5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig5 View Post
Thanks handheldpictures

I am relunctent to give the X900f a 3rd chance like yourself and I am also looking at forking out a bit more for an OLED Tv on Boxing Day sales. Just like yourself if it doesn’t blow me away then I will go back to the x900f and put up with the blooming issue. Seems pretty good on sport(EPL, cricket and Aussie rules) content. Which will be my viewing for 60-70 percent of the time.

Now which OLED tv? I am undecided between the 3. LG OLED C8, Panasonic FZ950/952 or Sony A8F or A9F?

Which OLED Tv are you looking at getting and when?

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the OLED TV when you get one compared to the Sony X900F TV.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
Assuming you do have dimming turned on. If not try med to high.

You will get a bit of bleed on HDR content. SDR should not see any bleed. Dimming is not enabled in certain menus. Netflix opening screen isn't enabled but when selecting your profile and in the selection screen it should look normal.

Probably not the best place to discuss pros and cons for different TVs. But I'm in Australia too the thing I will say about Sony still has the best motion, upscaling, clarity, etc. Although the new LG C8 is a good improvement over the C7. Most of our free to air content is still 576p and the Sony TVs do the best job of upscaling. If your watching foxtel extensively than they have a pretty awful compression techniques.

If you watch TV in a very dark room OLED be better or use bias lighting.

If your set on getting an OLED the A8F would be a good choice. LG C8 is a flagship TV and usually $1000 cheaper than equivalent A8F. I do like Sony and LG TVs it's always a difficult choice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Knownasgyates11

Yeah, I have local dimming set to high and same issue.

At the Netflix profile selection screen and selection screen I can see a fair bit of blooming or clouding. I am confused whether his is normal. The blooming or clouding is excessive on non auto local dining screens like Netflix load screen or Sony start up screen. Do you think this normal?

The Sony A8F is a little out of my price range. So looking at the LG C8 or Panasonic FZ950 which is equivalent to the C8 and has very good reviews. A bit undecided if I should stick with the Sony (is OLED going to give me a much better viewing experience) and if I don’t then I don’t know whether to get the C8 or FZ950?

Hoping for good Boxing Day sale prices on either the C8 or Fz950.

My normal viewing habit is Foxtel HD sport, some FTA stuff, Netflix(Movies and other stuff) and Kayo sport if I chose to cancel my Foxtel subscription. I will be watching tv in a semi darkish room but still have light in the room from front lounge window and kitchen light in the back ground at night.

What is a good forum to discuss pros and cons on TVs?

Thanks heaps for your help.
post #5403 of 9982 Old 12-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
Anyone knows where I could find this demo video for download? It's normally playing on the 900Fs at BestBuy.
That parasail surfer video (or another demo) is somewhere in the TV memory, start it by going near the bottom end of the Settings menu and select Retail Mode and enable both options. Then leave the TV remote buttons alone and in 10 minutes the video should start. It will set the TV to Vivid picture setting.
bigcat likes this.

Theater 1 (living room): 65" TV Sony XBR65X900F, Denon AVR-S720W receiver, speakers for 5.1: 6 Kef Q100 (dual center), Klipsch SW-110B 10" subwoofer.
Theater 2 (family room): 55" TV Sony XBR55X700D, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker system.
Video sources: Telus 1080i PVR, Apple TV 3 (Netflix, YT), Sony 1080P BR player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 9982 Old 12-20-2018, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Does this TV have a feature to turn off the screen/display but keep the speakers on?
post #5405 of 9982 Old 12-20-2018, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony 900f Calibration Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Created a new settings thread here.
Thanks to PlanetAVS for creating a settings thread. Feel free to list your Sony 900F settings with PlanetAVS link above. Try explain your room and use and why you chose settings. Have fun.
post #5406 of 9982 Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Does this TV have a feature to turn off the screen/display but keep the speakers on?
Yep, right off the Action Menu
tubers likes this.
post #5407 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Yep, right off the Action Menu
Thanks.
post #5408 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Thanks.
I believe there is a pic off button right on the remote.
post #5409 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I can't remember exactly but is it true that this X900F saves two different profiles for a single input? For SD and HDR/DV?

That was one of the reasons where HDR/DV looks pretty bad initially right?
Yes the tv react to content if sdr your setting if dv tv dv setting that you can change too but is hard to tweak back when I got Netflix back to regular hd I post some pics
post #5410 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 06:35 AM

advice for all the people thinking oled , all oled will develop burn in on static content all of them they are all lg panel panasonic Phillips sony all lg panel . you have to watch only movie without any static content if you play game or watch static content it have to be very little and not the same one over and over again like in the same day and the brightness have to be at 80 Max . mine develop burn in after 4500 hours oled get fatigue and start to burn out I was at 100 % brightness Google it oled burn in , lg oled burn after 12 hours at airport electronic show in Asia in Samsung burn in test , all will burn with static content , mine I don't game it was the YouTube play logo play line and yellow short cut button from lg application that burn in I was going there every day you are not long in those menus but it burn because of repetitive viewing of the same static content is the red and yellow that burn first other color did not burn I clear image noise every 3 month or 1000 hours the tv was open 10 hours per day for 1.5 year so if you game a lot go YouTube a lot or watch tv with static content and like bright tv oled is not for you take my advice and save your money burn in is not cover by the warranty neither the extended one may depend of company I trow over 4500$ down the drain

Last edited by dwhitton; 12-21-2018 at 06:42 AM.
post #5411 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Go to https://www.netflix.com/subtitlepreferences and you can change the appearance of Netflix subtitles. Can change the color/size and make them semi-transparent. Might help.
Well, I've tried to change the appearance several times now, the page you linked shows the changes, but going back into Netflix, subtitles look exactly the same as before...

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
post #5412 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I've already returned two 55x900F sets due to different panel issues that occurred within a week. I definitely also noticed the bleeding/clouding issues but compared to others in its price range it's still slightly better in that regard overall, believe it or not. The only way you can avoid the bleeding/clouding issue is by going to OLED, but then you're paying at least $500 more and still ending up with a set that's still prone to having other issues as well.

There's no "perfect" set out there so in the end it all boils down to what you can afford and what you're willing to put up with for the money you spend. I stated earlier in a different post that I was going to give the 900F a third shot, but after thinking it over I'm now going to fork out the extra $ and give the 55" OLED a shot instead as Costco up here in Canada has it on sale for the lowest price yet. If it blows me away overall then it will be worth the difference, but if not and I notice issues with it as well, then I'll go back to give the 900F a third chance instead. In the end, I simply want to feel satisfied for the money I spend for my viewing preferences, which are mainly gaming and movies.
You’ve got way more energy than me! I have an lg e6 and the 900f as well. Both good, probably prefer the 900f overall, crisper picture, better motion. Blooming never bothered me that much given my mix of viewing. Regards. Ned.
post #5413 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitton View Post
advice for all the people thinking oled , all oled will develop burn in on static content all of them they are all lg panel panasonic Phillips sony all lg panel . you have to watch only movie without any static content if you play game or watch static content it have to be very little and not the same one over and over again like in the same day and the brightness have to be at 80 Max . mine develop burn in after 4500 hours oled get fatigue and start to burn out I was at 100 % brightness Google it oled burn in , lg oled burn after 12 hours at airport electronic show in Asia in Samsung burn in test , all will burn with static content , mine I don't game it was the YouTube play logo play line and yellow short cut button from lg application that burn in I was going there every day you are not long in those menus but it burn because of repetitive viewing of the same static content is the red and yellow that burn first other color did not burn I clear image noise every 3 month or 1000 hours the tv was open 10 hours per day for 1.5 year so if you game a lot go YouTube a lot or watch tv with static content and like bright tv oled is not for you take my advice and save your money burn in is not cover by the warranty neither the extended one may depend of company I trow over 4500$ down the drain
I’ve owned an lg e6 for over two years, watch a lot of cnbc and cnn and have no burn in issues. Panel still looks fine. Also own the 900f, fine as well. Regards. Ned.
post #5414 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

I've had a 65C7P for 1.5 years, on which I have seen hundreds of hours of movies, shows, and PS4 Pro gaming... And I have ZERO burn-in. Does it happen and can it happen? Of course! But it's not fair to make such a blank statement and assume that it's an automatic occurrence. It definitely is one of those YMMV with usage and type of usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hockeynut and christoofar like this.

JVC DLA-NX7BK / 125" 2.40:1 Stewart StudioTek 100 / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #5415 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Well, I've tried to change the appearance several times now, the page you linked shows the changes, but going back into Netflix, subtitles look exactly the same as before...
For the built-in app, I remember having to log out and then back in for the changes to take effect. Also, it only affects SDR content -- you can't change the appearance of subtitles for Dolby Vision content.
christoofar likes this.
post #5416 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
If you're watching on an Apple TV you'll have to change the subtitle settings on the Apple TV itself, otherwise I'm not sure.
post #5417 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig5 View Post

The Sony A8F is a little out of my price range. So looking at the LG C8 or Panasonic FZ950 which is equivalent to the C8 and has very good reviews. A bit undecided if I should stick with the Sony (is OLED going to give me a much better viewing experience) and if I don’t then I don’t know whether to get the C8 or FZ950?
Your in Europe since you have acess to the FZ950?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I've had a 65C7P for 1.5 years, on which I have seen hundreds of hours of movies, shows, and PS4 Pro gaming... And I have ZERO burn-in. Does it happen and can it happen? Of course! But it's not fair to make such a blank statement and assume that it's an automatic occurrence. It definitely is one of those YMMV with usage and type of usage.
k
You are right, burn in happens but it is rare.

LED's can get a stuck image as well. They are NOT 100% exempt. That is crazy rare though...
post #5418 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been lurking here for a while since the summer. Waited for Black Friday season and got an insane deal on the 65inch X900F, $1299 from Best Buy price matched.

I absolutely love the TV, it's insane. It's the most amazing picture I've seen (upgrading from an older 45" Sony Bravia from 2011). Color, features, everything is fantastic. However, here's the issue, I must have some major bad QC luck because I've been through 4 lemon sets now. The quality control from Sony or the delivery people from Best Buy has resulted in major inconsistencies on the quality of the panels.

1st one had dust/specks in the panel

2nd one had a crushed display in the bottom center, it looked like water rippling from the bottom.

3rd's screen was deeply scratched where the light was leaking through

4th one...dead pixel on the bottom right.

I'm honestly at my wit's end with these return and exchanges, and Best Buy forces you to go through the store after 3 exchanges (instead of their 800 number as it's a third party) so who knows what will happen.

Is it worth dealing with another one or should I accept the dead pixel (which makes me honestly cringe in anger because of how much the set costs)? Thanks!
post #5419 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I think the bigger issue with OLED is that organic material eventually breaks down. which means over time color accuracy diminishes, starting with the blues. If you are a person that replaces tv every 5 years or less, this won't be a huge issue. But if you're kind of person who replaces a tv, moves old tv to another room or seldom upgrades. the 10 year tv person, OLED will have diminished value in long stretch.

As for burnin, it depends on usage. I'm the kind of person who can play an RPG for 10+ hours straight, with the hud on screen entire time. That's a no go on OLED.

now if you're type of person who might game for a couple hours max, and most of content you watch is variety, you are at far lower risk.
post #5420 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I just got home after weeks away, lots of pages to read, but did anything happen with the update that was due mid Dec? Both my Z9D and 900F say I'm up to date.

Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year
post #5421 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
I just got home after weeks away, lots of pages to read, but did anything happen with the update that was due mid Dec? Both my Z9D and 900F say I'm up to date.
[...]
The Oreo update already happened for a number of the D and E models but not for the early F models (the A9F and Z9F had Oreo from the start). If your Z9D didn't auto-update, you should be able to download the firmware from Sony and update from USB.

According to D-Nice, we can also use the same firmware to update the early F models and someone else confirmed it on an A8F. I'll wait for now but maybe someone braver will try it on the X900F.
post #5422 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 238
My 900E received the Android 8.0 firmware upgrade yesterday but no signs of it on my 900F. Seems a little odd that Sony would update older devices first. Has anyone got any update on the 900F, I am still on Aug security patch...

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #5423 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have been looking for a new 4K for over a month.
After viewing several large sets I ordered a new 85 900F from Chris at Cleveland Plasma Sunday night.

Had it in my living room Wednesday afternoon.

Put it on the wall yesterday.

Coming from a 60" Pioneer Kuro I purchased new 10 years ago.

I have to say this TV is awesome. I consider myself an average user and cannot understand the problems I see people posting on here about this set.

The blacks are every bit as sharp as my old set and the 4k looks unbelievable.

I had it professionally installed and he commented that this was just about the best picture he had ever seen on a set.

Please do not let some of the comments on this tv hold you back from purchasing.

I have a hunch you will be every bit as pleased as I am.

Thank You Chris for a great experience with an online purchase.
HughScot and srkmish like this.
post #5424 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I’ve owned an lg e6 for over two years, watch a lot of cnbc and cnn and have no burn in issues. Panel still looks fine. Also own the 900f, fine as well. Regards. Ned.
yes like I said you have to watch different content me I was not
youtube every day at least 5hper day the logo and play bar burn in how many hours on your set a lot of report get out they said burn in start happening after 4000 hours instead of the 30000 hours panel life
post #5425 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

it's not rare I make a lot of search on it Google it not rare how many hours are on your panel did you run your oled 10 hours per day like I do at airport 48 hours start burn in in a Samsung test 12 hours at a ces show in Korea 48 hours I even see a person is set turn on by itself arc hdmi he don't know at night in the morning burn in I even see store demo at best but and Brault Martineau with burn in not rare and not a blank statement if you run at 100 brightness and around 10 hours per day heavy use or static image is not a a matter of did I will get burn in is a matter of when did I will get burn in mine was fine at 4000 hours I run the clear panel noise 500 hours later burn in oled fatigue at 4500 hours
post #5426 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
it's not rare I make a lot of search on it Google it not rare how many hours are on your panel did you run your oled 10 hours per day like I do at airport 48 hours start burn in in a Samsung test 12 hours at a ces show in Korea 48 hours I even see a person is set turn on by itself arc hdmi he don't know at night in the morning burn in I even see store demo at best but and Brault Martineau with burn in not rare and not a blank statement if you run at 100 brightness and around 10 hours per day heavy use or static image is not a a matter of did I will get burn in is a matter of when did I will get burn in mine was fine at 4000 hours I run the clear panel noise 500 hours later burn in oled fatigue at 4500 hours

This is the Sony X900F thread. Please let's stay within topic.

christoofar and Falonious like this.

JVC DLA-NX7BK / 125" 2.40:1 Stewart StudioTek 100 / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / AppleTV 4K / Logitech Harmony Elite
post #5427 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
900f 120 Hz how to setup

Hello everyone,
Recently, I bought Sony 900f and I have some issue with motion handling. Idk why but when watching sport especially soccer motion is tearing/stuttering. It is the most visible when looking on fast moving ball, literally you can see frames or jumps between frames....
So I spoke with one guy and he advised me to reset image setting and then I should be able to select refresh rate because it seems that TV is operating on lower refresh rate. I did what he told me, but still I was not able to select 120 HZ.
For watching sport I am using apps that came with TV - youtube, sling, danz and on every platform effect is the same. It is weird because on my other TV motion looks nice and smooth. Moreover, I tried different picture setting but with no luck. I was able to get better motion but picture quality was ugly, and still motion looked worse compared to my prev. TV.

Would anyone be able to advise how to deal with this issue?
post #5428 of 9982 Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some audio help with the 65x900F. It is paired up to a Yamaha HTR-4066 A/V unit. I have an Apple TV connected via HDMI to port 4 on the Yamaha. From the Yamaha HDMI Out to the 900F’s HDMI port 3 for the HDMI Control and ARC. I apparently have HDMI Control and ARC correctly working, as I can control the Yamaha on/off and volume control via the Sony remote - all fine there. If I play a 5.1 channel movie on the Apple TV, I get 5.1 audio to the Yamaha - the LCD on the Yamaha shows all five speakers active and sound goes to each one. However, when I play any 5.1 movie on Netflix, all I get is left, right, and sub woofer.

On the 900F I have the Settings->Sound->Digital Audio Out set to PCM. If I try Auto1 or Auto2 I get no audio sent to the Yamaha at all.

What do I need to change so that my Netflix audio comes through as 5.1 like it should?

Thanks, Jim

Jim, in the city of Folsom, CA. (NOT the prison!)
post #5429 of 9982 Old 12-22-2018, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbunio View Post
Hello everyone,
Recently, I bought Sony 900f and I have some issue with motion handling. Idk why but when watching sport especially soccer motion is tearing/stuttering. It is the most visible when looking on fast moving ball, literally you can see frames or jumps between frames....
So I spoke with one guy and he advised me to reset image setting and then I should be able to select refresh rate because it seems that TV is operating on lower refresh rate. I did what he told me, but still I was not able to select 120 HZ.
For watching sport I am using apps that came with TV - youtube, sling, danz and on every platform effect is the same. It is weird because on my other TV motion looks nice and smooth. Moreover, I tried different picture setting but with no luck. I was able to get better motion but picture quality was ugly, and still motion looked worse compared to my prev. TV.

Would anyone be able to advise how to deal with this issue?
The only fix is to buy a roku streaming stick plus or another 4k HDR steamer like apple tv 4k as my x800e and x900f have the same issue. I've tested both the DirecTV NOW and YouTube TV on the native TV apps and roku. The TV apps always have the issues you described while the roku picture quality and motion was always on par if not better than fios/cable/satellite. From what I previously read it some sort of frames per second issue with the native apps and the TV but I'm not 100% certain. All I know is my Roku fixed the issue.

Last edited by BrownBagga; 12-22-2018 at 04:43 AM.
post #5430 of 9982 Old 12-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm still try to find a good balance to have image in motion more stable and minimize image 'trail' during motion.
It's hard to me to find perfect settings.
If i turn off motions i see motion blur/image trail in motion more 'clearly' with this tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
brightness , contrast , hdr , Sony , wifi , x900f , x900f appletv dolbyvision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page